Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

jesus WEP posted:

if $10 now is the same as $6.80 in 2006, then $10 in 2006 (which is what you paid) is the same as $14.71 now

that makes sense

does this mean the best time to buy a costco hot dog is always tomorrow and never today?

:negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

that makes sense

does this mean the best time to buy a costco hot dog is always tomorrow and never today?

wrong

it’s all times

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

doing this calculation properly requires an understanding of the time value of hotdogs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Asleep Style posted:

doing this calculation properly requires an understanding of the time value of hotdogs

and for that we turn to one man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYfL3nf2c6Y

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my browser blocks tiktok embeds what is it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: Everybody in that "lessons learned" meeting was patting each other on the back for candor and openness while also dancing around saying that I should have joined the incident Zoom meeting instead of going "stand by" and fixing the problem lol

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

just heard a genuine “awoooga” horn outside. didn’t catch what it was, but keep on trucking king

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

cjs: 6 day weekend.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Armitag3 posted:

just heard a genuine “awoooga” horn outside. didn’t catch what it was, but keep on trucking king

need an awooga horn at my desk for every time i merge a pr or close an incident

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

HamAdams posted:

need an awooga horn at my desk for every time i merge a pr or close an incident

same but for submitting a post

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

CPColin posted:

cjs: Everybody in that "lessons learned" meeting was patting each other on the back for candor and openness while also dancing around saying that I should have joined the incident Zoom meeting instead of going "stand by" and fixing the problem lol

big yikes mode, :sever:

my former workmate has been relaying horror stories to me about his new dev gig. daily stand-ups regularly last for an hour and sometimes longer, endless passive-aggressive bullshit communicated solely through PR comments which then feeds back into the insane daily stand-ups, colleagues regularly call him via Teams without even a courtesy chat message first. full psycho poo poo. my mate would have quit already if it weren't for the fact that they let him WFH all the time. he just watches YT vids or plays video james during the poo poo meetings/most of the actual day

THE DEVELOPERS

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

man i kinda love jetbrains
i got a bunch of their professional tier IDEs because of My Job and theyve been very nice to use honestly

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
try jetbrains datagrip for all your sql touching

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
we use Toad and it’s such hot garbage

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the only times ive written SQL have been within python scripts so im not sure how that'll work

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

also jetbrains toolbox is cool. ive installed one or two IDEs im probably going to never use

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lmfao at this insanely bad trello config i just discovered. All I want is a daily digest but instead i get never, constantly, or constantly lite™️

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Corla Plankun posted:

lmfao at this insanely bad trello config i just discovered. All I want is a daily digest but instead i get never, constantly, or constantly lite™️

trello? may i introduce you to yet another jetbrains product, YouTrack?
(we use that at work too. hdad likes jetbrains)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

its real good

the only thing i don’t like is it just lumps functions and sprocs together which is a pain in one db i have to touch. ssms puts them in separate folders which i prefer

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

im writing sql RIGHT NOW. feelin pretty swole might post later.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
lol if ur company doesnt buy you an intellij ultimate license

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

rotor posted:

lol if ur company doesnt buy you an intellij ultimate license

i have that and also i think all their other IDEs

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

im writing sql RIGHT NOW. feelin pretty swole might post later.

nice log those gains

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hbag posted:

trello? may i introduce you to yet another jetbrains product, YouTrack?
(we use that at work too. hdad likes jetbrains)

youtrack is so loving good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

been a long time since i used youtrack but moving from that to jira was not positive

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

been a long time since i used youtrack but moving from that to jira was not positive

yt has also gotten a lot better (old job managed to squeeze a lot of improvements out of them too, it was much better when i left 10 years after i started)

jira does not get better, just more fields

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

not even gonna lie, took me way too long to figure out what white people had to do with it u til I realised yt also means you track

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
cls: oh my god why is it so difficult to write a goddamn cover letter

seriously just can not write positively about myself right now

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

just copy the one from the my little pony resume

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

akadajet posted:

just copy the one from the my little pony resume

think i'll probably just drink myself stupid and do it instead

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i don't think i submitted a cover sheet before age 35. somehow it never seemed necessary before becoming an old

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

every job i applied for required one, but maybe thats industry specific or east coast specific

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i approach cover letters as a way to link items on my résumé to items from the job description. it sucks to actually do, but that is a good formula for it in my experience. i personally think a good cover letter is much more powerful than a good résumé.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, you might be surprised how often you can get away with putting a single space in that field.

that said, looking back on my career, exactly half my gigs i was recruited to by friends/colleagues and never actually had to apply

edit: i'm also the weird bastard who answers "Why do you want to work here?" with "I don't know that I do." and still gets the job, my experiences may not apply to many others

outhole surfer fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 1, 2022

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cjs: dammit, i forgot to rebase my pr before leaving and nobody reviewed it, and it was supposed to go out today :smithicide:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i don't think i submitted a cover sheet before age 35. somehow it never seemed necessary before becoming an old

this is probably the second time i've had to write one and i'm getting severe writers block for something that should be like, 500 words :smith:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i approach cover letters as a way to link items on my résumé to items from the job description. it sucks to actually do, but that is a good formula for it in my experience. i personally think a good cover letter is much more powerful than a good résumé.

i mean, i know what to do, actually doing it is the hard part and idk why. shits frustrating as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jortbrains