Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/olEfjy2.mp4

gently caress me that’s impressive to free hand.

not by any standard. the stone is soft as hell and anyone could be trained to do better than that in less than half an hour.

edit, i would be more worried about the blade going "ping" and becomeing the ultimate ninja star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

sadly the tweet he replied to that had the video has been deleted

https://twitter.com/tmorello/status/1324907210426642433

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Night dives are cool. :devil::pipe:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fumble posted:

edit, i would be more worried about the blade going "ping" and becomeing the ultimate ninja star

The one-two combo of taking the guard off the grinder, and no safety glasses

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

gently caress yes!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You don't have to speak German to know Amerika isn't a flattering song about the land of the free and home of the brave.

Chuds and nazis ignore lyrics in songs in english, too. For example, Fortunate Son, Born in the USA, etc.

Yup. People are dumb.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

Chuds and nazis ignore lyrics in songs in english, too. For example, Fortunate Son, Born in the USA, etc.

Chud nazi: "Haha! Christopher Walken dancing delightfully in a hotel lobby, what fun!"

Intelligent listener: "It seems Bootsy Collins is the Kwisatz Haderach." :hmmyes:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
"Dümmer als die Polizei erlaubt", specifically.

Like, Rammstein are about as subtle as a Leopard 2A7 in some respects.

Gee, I wonder what this is about

So dumb it's OSHA?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah people are that dumb. They are pretty open about why, exactly, they wrote the song “Links”. It’s literally addressed exactly to those idiots and says, directly, “no dumbfucks we’re leftists”

Edit: making their allegorical representation of the historical concept of Germany a black woman was :discourse:

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Absolutely agree with all of that. Doing a shore approach with an Emerson at two in the morning is scary as gently caress, especially if you got dropped off 10K out.

My cousin does cave diving in the cenotes in the Yucatan Peninsula (he's mapping the underwater currents for the Mexican Governement), and I have told him multiple times that he is out of his loving mind. My limit was under ice diving which is also risky and dangerous as hell, but still not as bad as caves or wrecks.

Why all the hate for wrecks?

Some of my most memorable dives have been big wrecks in Malta, like the car ferry where you enter at the main staircase and swim around the open promenade, or in the Keys the Spiegel Grove which has a couple of amazing swim throughs.

Can be done safely with a reel, a guide, and a good knife -- and you're never normally more than 30 seconds from an exit.

Rebreathers, long deco and deep cave dives can go gently caress themselves, tho. For sure.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Whats the load index and speed rating of a castor?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Fumble posted:

Not quite as good as a Pollux, according to the books.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fumble posted:

I was going to ask about the castor/caster spelling, but looked it up - and it's sort of neat: To cast is one of those verbs with a whole list of meanings, and one of the archaic ones is to turn.

The -er ending is Germanic, and creates nouns from verbs - a rider is one who rides, and so on. It goes all the way back to proto-germanic and has cognates everywhere; it's identical in e.g. Norwegian.
The -or ending is from Latin, and goes back to at least classical Latin - it's derived from the same endings as -tor (e.g. aviator), and I bet it has relatives throughout the latinic languages. It does exactly the same thing: An actor is one who acts.

So castor and caster are both "one who casts [turns]", just constructed with two different and independent endings from two different language families - that do exactly the same thing. It's a neat little example of the weirdness that is English. :)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 1, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

kalleth posted:

Some of my most memorable dives have been big wrecks in Malta, like the car ferry where you enter at the main staircase and swim around the open promenade, or in the Keys the Spiegel Grove which has a couple of amazing swim throughs.

Can be done safely with a reel, a guide, and a good knife -- and you're never normally more than 30 seconds from an exit.

Rebreathers, long deco and deep cave dives can go gently caress themselves, tho. For sure.

When I dived wrecks there were generally fresh bodies in them.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I need that asphyxiation placard to set up in front of the bathroom

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I need to get a picture of the "I travel alone!" sign they use when moving samples in liquid nitrogen in the elevators at work.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1565467434521399298
:thunk:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

minato posted:

Chud nazi: "Haha! Christopher Walken dancing delightfully in a hotel lobby, what fun!"

Intelligent listener: "It seems Bootsy Collins is the Kwisatz Haderach." :hmmyes:

When you listen to the full lyrics of the song it becomes kind of apparent that it isn't really "about Dune", the prechorus lyrics (and I guess the title) are just a funny reference to the books. Bootsy kinda goes off on his own psychedelic funky sex thing on the last verse and its connection to Dune are tenuous at best.

Rammstein are cool. I imagine at least a couple of the band members are licensed pyrotechnicians to be able to pull that stuff off.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/bogtrinkets/status/1565129327733518337?s=21&t=iiFQhgmPWOcc2YfGBnHvdA

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yup. People are dumb.

Or perhaps there's more to a song and how it makes people feel then the lyrical content, which they might just not be paying much attention to.

In 1980 the state government of New Jersey was considering a motion to honor Springsteen by declaring Born to Run an unofficial state song. They weren't Nazis and chuds, they just hadn't paid attention to the lyrics.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 2, 2022

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

You just know he thought that was a bomb rear end line. He felt proud of that poo poo

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

The electric cord of liberty has 2 male ends

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rhj9hlVXMw1qigfjt.mp4

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

• Should have never spilt virgin blood into the mangler
  • Should not have misrecited the Necronomicon around the mangler

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I should've read the manual before attempting to operate the mangler

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

twirling twirling

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

We must not let the toaster of liberty fall into the bathtub of authoritarianism

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Can we wait and see who gets in the tub first before we decide on dropping the toaster?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

What was he even trying to do and why do it right before a train arrived??

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ilmucche posted:

Dodging a turnstile, perhaps.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

ilmucche posted:

Listen, the next train isn’t for half an hour. Sometimes you just gotta go the extra mile when you oversleep and can’t afford to be late.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

kalleth posted:

Not all wrecks are as diver-friendly, or sink in whole, or don't degrade into rust hazards. Wrecks fall apart unevenly, gather settled particulates, and are frequently narrow, which all adds up to losing your way and losing your equipment. The comparison to cave diving is for a reason. Add to cave diving the chance that something collapses and now you're trapped?

Yeah, no thanks.

Either he knows what he's doing, or he's been stupid lucky. Maybe both.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
69 panels

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Mistle posted:

Either he knows what he's doing, or he's been stupid lucky. Maybe both.

In Massie's case, it's both.
He's got a BSEE and MSME from MIT. He seems to be a capable engineer.
Unfortunately he's also a chud Senator who really should know better, but purposely plays ignorant or is dishonest. A recent example is his bullshit tweet about the power grid not being able to handle a massive expansion of EVs.

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1550282224326639616

he's not wrong, but there's a good reason the grid is in the state it's in and if people like him had listened to warnings about this - just like climate change - decades ago, maybe something could have been done. But now he's crying that it just won't work.
gently caress him.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 2, 2022

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

"Dümmer als die Polizei erlaubt", specifically.

Like, Rammstein are about as subtle as a Leopard 2A7 in some respects.

Gee, I wonder what this is about

So dumb it's OSHA?

Speaking of Rammstein. They really love their pyrotechnics. From the show in Philly last night:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
guy fell down the grand canyon in a recent vid, it's osha af.