Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Long-loiter kamikaze drones would make me super nervous to be firing non-mechanized artillery. They're not super ubiquitous yet but the time is coming.

Yeah I could definitely see each battery have an ADA/anti-drone section added to its TOE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's the best way of spotting these? Still radar? Or is there some optical / IR wizardry?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I wonder if there’s a way to filter small radar returns by if they’re emitting EMF. Probably not enough for a reliable solution without having an incredibly expensive array.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

What's the best way of spotting these? Still radar? Or is there some optical / IR wizardry?

Probably looking for the radio signals it’s emitting, those would have to be pretty bright (assuming you could detect those signals at the right wavelength). If it’s transmitting anything at all, that is :v:

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

aphid_licker posted:

Best way to find them is to find their launch stations or when they're grounded.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Mustang posted:

Im not that familiar with the average infantry company MTOE but cav scout troops all have a raven/puma(?, Can't remember what they're called). Pretty sure infantry companies have them as well though.

Scouts doing conventional warfare training rotations through NTC/JRTC is almost entirely looking at stuff through all of our fancy optics/UAVs and calling for fire with mortars/artillery spending on what the target is.

Would love to see units at NTC fighting against a force that is heavy on drones. Ukrainian troops probably will have a few trips there when this ends

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

Suicide Watch posted:

Would love to see units at NTC fighting against a force that is heavy on drones. Ukrainian troops probably will have a few trips there when this ends

From what my colleagues have been telling me, JRTC has been getting crafty in small UAS and using them against units rotating through to test them.

Some units have been flying drones as OPFOR at their major exercises that isn't CTC. Stuff like dropping tennis balls over a patrol base or along sustainment nodes just to drive the point: 'you are now answering our military's decision to neglect ADA for the past 20 years.'

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/itsartoir/status/1565286465080377344?s=21&t=krmCDK-lrCottT4j4D1nnQ

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Icon Of Sin posted:

Probably looking for the radio signals it’s emitting, those would have to be pretty bright (assuming you could detect those signals at the right wavelength). If it’s transmitting anything at all, that is :v:

Commercial drones, yes, but those also fly low, are loud, and have significatn radar returns for their size. Electrically, communications are the easiest to burst over spread spectrum to make them low probability of detection (LPD) and nearly impossible to intercept (low probability of intercept LPI).

If you do it right, and aren't just blipping GMRS, its very hard to catch a comms only target. Especially if its moving. With good ELINT gear, which will cost much much more than a drone, you'll likely get blips in a general direction but nowhere near enough for an ID or track. Commercial drones are constantly receiving control commands, risking revealing the operating station, and transmitting high bandwidth video footage, which is worst case for detection. While I'd trust the comms package on a Reaper I'm sure the TB-2 Bayraktar has encryption but lovely radio discipline, meaning they're likely easy to get enough of a detection for a bearing and azimuth.

One of the main important lines of research for future drones are ways for them to fly and collect data autonomously without transmitting or receiving data. The idea is that when something gets through its onboard AI filters it shoots off a quick low res image to its controller for a call. Then it follows up with a high res image, then a video clip, then real time feed, as it escalates and the control ID's and OK's the EM radiation risk of detection required.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Did they just point their sidearms at each other at a few points or was that me squinting?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They flagged all of creation at one point or another.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I particularly appreciated the Texas Star of Death.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Insider Threat Training 2023: the threat could be the man next to you, the man in the crowd, the ground, birds, God.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The 21st century battlespace extends in all four dimensions and you must be prepared to engage a target along any one of them.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Imagine four commandos on the edge of a parade ground

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A spy satellite can be destroyed by a 9mm projectile. Firing wildly into the sky is a valid tactic

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1565385086257733635?s=20&t=yR3JuTzFkhHq4EvnWdVRRg

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I wonder if you couldn't use drones as sea or land mines, just have them sitting there waiting. Infinite loiter.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ASAPI posted:

Did they just point their sidearms at each other at a few points or was that me squinting?

Nope, your eyesight is fine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Is that a look of growing horror on vest guy's face as he realizes that he is standing in a legitimate military target that happens to be a nuclear power plant?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

slurm posted:

I wonder if you couldn't use drones as sea or land mines, just have them sitting there waiting. Infinite loiter.

How do you power said drone?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

Is that a look of growing horror on vest guy's face as he realizes that he is standing in a legitimate military target that happens to be a nuclear power plant?

The funny thing is at the end it looks like he’s doing an inventory check before closing up for the night.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Its worth noting that, specifically, nuclear power plants cannot be legit military targets. So he's realizing in horror that Russia is acting like this is okay and probably meant what they said when they threatened to boobytrap the plant.

https://twitter.com/jrmygrdn/status/1499643664481632256?s=20&t=yR3JuTzFkhHq4EvnWdVRRg

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

something is bugged in my awful app and now every time I open a new page in any thread in any subforum this tweet plays in the background.

this is not a complaint.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

something is bugged in my awful app and now every time I open a new page in any thread in any subforum this tweet plays in the background.

this is not a complaint.

:nice:

Also I guess I did find a way into the military somehow. :lol:

https://twitter.com/780thc/status/1565291022942453777?s=21&t=EI3HSg1BRfF_rd-soFb54Q

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Its worth noting that, specifically, nuclear power plants cannot be legit military targets. So he's realizing in horror that Russia is acting like this is okay and probably meant what they said when they threatened to boobytrap the plant.

https://twitter.com/jrmygrdn/status/1499643664481632256?s=20&t=yR3JuTzFkhHq4EvnWdVRRg

The security council will have to act immediately? Yeah okay.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The meme wars, begun have they

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Midjack posted:

The security council will have to act immediately? Yeah okay.

There’s a member already there, it’s fine :suicide:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/rafaelmgrossi/status/1565381009364893699?s=20&t=yR3JuTzFkhHq4EvnWdVRRg

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Somewhere in the Kurakhovsky direction, a group of Russian invaders made the only right decision and surrendered, raising a white flag

Great flash mob

https://twitter.com/war__online/status/1565365687123582980?s=21&t=1KNw8H5DlevC3leq2gPxdQ

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

slurm posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_60_CAPTOR

Known tactic with sea mines, which are sometimes just torpedoes that are hanging out waiting for a sonar signature to pounce on, although I don't think there are any that patrol continuously yet. Then fuel would probably be an issue.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 1, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I wonder if he died of heartbreak or falling down some stairs...

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1565399617445011460?s=20&t=yR3JuTzFkhHq4EvnWdVRRg

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I would also like to note that that politco article on NAFO never defined the term poo poo-posting, just understanding that the audience understands it either through context or vernacular.

"The coordinated poo poo-posting is ultimately deployed in the service of Kyiv’s war effort"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What is the campaign ribbon for 69th Shitpost Brigade in the social media wars? I vote 5 golden manbabies. Bring back some classics.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
5 golden manbabies fuckin lol that’s a phrase from the past :v:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bring back two worlds

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Path Is Grey.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Bring back two worlds

gently caress no, that guy was a turbocreep. Someone regged under the name since when he got permabanned that account was named "Ari from Chicago" at the time.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone in Russia liked Bobby Mac and Project 100,000

https://twitter.com/Flash43191300/status/1565427162735427585?s=20&t=Kaamjq4HKdifnw5AZJAXzA

I found something claiming he, like Navaly, was done with what happened in 2014. Can't find the link of course now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Between 19 and 59? That's some prime barrel scraping.