Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

stab posted:

I want a thread where everyone has to talk like Daddy Magic.

Would you be okay with a switchcomb thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Cult of Pies posted:

Would you be okay with a switchcomb thread?

Goons showing off their hairstyles like Cool Hand Ang

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

stab posted:

Goons showing off their hairstyles like Cool Hand Ang

I stare at my monitor like Daddy Magic's gaze pierces the camera, does that also work?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

A couple weeks ago this person who doesn't normally post in wrestling threads popped in to talk poo poo and the thread treated them like a brony sitting down for a pop tart in Satriale's.

escape artist posted:

Can someone explain why Jon Moxley is so popular? Jericho carried him in that match. That was honestly rough to watch.

Click the post number and it should take you to the thread and the responses they got. It was like immediate shutdown and exclusion and examples of where a mod could have came in and encouraged people to either discuss or ignore. I try and only post in the game day thread's because the clique is just not fun to post in amongst - very hive mind, which must be fun for them but if the forum is supposed to be for more than that then surely a balance can be struck?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

A couple weeks ago this person who doesn't normally post in wrestling threads popped in to talk poo poo and the thread treated them like a brony sitting down for a pop tart in Satriale's.

Click the post number and it should take you to the thread and the responses they got. It was like immediate shutdown and exclusion and examples of where a mod could have came in and encouraged people to either discuss or ignore. I try and only post in the game day thread's because the clique is just not fun to post in amongst - very hive mind, which must be fun for them but if the forum is supposed to be for more than that then surely a balance can be struck?

I clicked that and it seems to be yea ok who has a grudge or something that made them decide the guy was disingenuous, MRT actually replying, and Shard blowing them off for saying Jericho was carrying Mox. I don't think those 3 are in a clique together though there are a lot of bad posts there, including op, that a mod could have stepped in and said to move on. But I'm not that shocked someone got heat for opening the thread with asking why a beloved wrestler is loved because they can see that he sucks.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

PSP can smell a corncob from a mile away

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Good post: "Can someone explain why Jon Moxley is so popular? I don't understand it"

Bad post: "Can someone explain why Jon Moxley is so popular? Jericho carried him in that match. That was honestly rough to watch."

You can see how they're going to get different reactions.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

No grudge, just felt like they didn’t actually want an answer to their question because of the way it was asked. Gatekeeping mediocrity is pretty fun though

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I dont think that guy wanted answers to his "question", i think he wanted people to come out of the woodwork to agree with him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can’t play the “I’m new to wrestling what even is this” card at the same time as the “here is my unpopular opinion full of insider terms” card because it makes you look like a disingenuous fuckwit.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
it all led to his hilarious response about everyone being "gatekeepers of mediocrity" which made the whole thing worth it imho

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can’t play the “I’m new to wrestling what even is this” card at the same time as the “here is my unpopular opinion full of insider terms” card because it makes you look like a disingenuous fuckwit.

What insider terms did they use?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

The Hausu Usher posted:

First of all, It looks to me like he got the exact response he wanted, he posted something very provocative in a very drive by manner.

but even taking it in good faith, if you go to any thread about a particular thing and immediately tear down one of the core parts of that thing with little to no evidence or justification you're probably going to get that kind of response.

The only mod action I would want here is punishing the dumbass posting low quality bait just to rile people up.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

I clicked that and it seems to be yea ok who has a grudge or something that made them decide the guy was disingenuous, MRT actually replying, and Shard blowing them off for saying Jericho was carrying Mox. I don't think those 3 are in a clique together though there are a lot of bad posts there, including op, that a mod could have stepped in and said to move on. But I'm not that shocked someone got heat for opening the thread with asking why a beloved wrestler is loved because they can see that he sucks.

I mean it's not the most ideal way of posting, but I can understand why they'd maybe think goons wouldn't be so precious about their tv show and there'd be a bit of back and forth.

And still here we have the "righteous exception" attitude a lot of the AEW thread bullies have where they feel empowered to nuke people and opinions on their thread that they don't like.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Brut posted:

What insider terms did they use?

"Carrying" does show your hand a little. It's wrestler lingo compared to "Jericho was doing all the work in that match" and also just implies you're watching the match in a way someone versed in wrestling would and paying attention to how the wrestlers are "working". I definitely think the dude would have gotten a better response if he had just asked why people like Moxley and not why we like Moxley who sucks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

I mean it's not the most ideal way of posting, but I can understand why they'd maybe think goons wouldn't be so precious about their tv show and there'd be a bit of back and forth.

And still here we have the "righteous exception" attitude a lot of the AEW thread bullies have where they feel empowered to nuke people and opinions on their thread that they don't like.

Dude came in and asked why everyone's favorite wrestler sucks. I'm not sure what's hard to get here and no one got nuked.

Like, the flip side of all of this is that if you go into a thread and ask everyone why their favorite wrestler sucks and then call it a circle jerk when that makes them mad it's your own communication skills that are getting in the way here too. Could people have responded better? Yeah. Did OP start the conversation as poorly as possible and then dig down? Also yes.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 1, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Implying Jon Moxley needs to be carried in 2022 out of the blue is not wise.

That's all I'll add to the topic.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The Hausu Usher posted:

AEW thread bullies

Come on

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Post the list of AEW thread bullies

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I barely post here anymore and haven't read the AEW thread in weeks so cannot comment on how the anti-Mox troll was treated but i just want to praise "treated them like a brony sitting down for a pop tart in Satriale's" as one heck of a metaphor for "was rude to"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
regular sa wrestleposters are very online and are aware there's a bunch of prominent people in the greater wrestling sphere like Cornette that say some disingenuous poo poo that gets picked up and parroted by his fans and people who are similarly awful, regardless of how true it is

I don't know anything about the op in question here but either unwittingly or not they dropped into the thread to echo exactly what those people were digging into at the time

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Starting to think this guy isnt just sticking up for some random poor bastard who was mistreated by the trolls!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this post was just explaining why that person wasn't being bullied but everyone involved has responded with their reasonings in this thread now so it seems like a better idea to get it from them and i'll just remove the Outsider's Opinion. sorry for being annoying

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 1, 2022

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

If you jump into a thread to "ask a question" that is really just you expressing an opinion like an rear end in a top hat in any thread on SA associated with a niche or a hobby it's probably going to go the exact same way.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's not an experience unique to wrestling's chunk of the internet where you see some rando try to start a conversation as if it was fresh ground except they use terms and phrasing that you've seen dozens of times before from assholes (usually, again, Cornette)

maybe the person is actually coming up with the opinion themselves and aren't sea lioning, but maybe they use one of the homophobic nicknames for Kenny or act like he beat up a child on the street and you go 'oh, one of These again'

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Hausu Usher posted:

When I watched AEW regularly I would post in the threads with my opinions on what I watched & I was often less positive on stuff than the thread consensus (for lack of a better term, I don't really think there's a hive mind so much as just like-minded people sharing their passion for something) & nobody ever got unfairly hostile to me. There's a way of talking about something that other people are passionate about where you disagree without saying "wow, why do you like this thing when it is clearly bad?" Because that doesn't suggest actually wanting a discussion, that's being on the wind-up.

At the bare minimum, if you come into a thread acting hostile you can't be shocked when people are hostile back, such is the internet. Either deal with the consequences of your actions & take it on the chin, de-escalate, or just maybe think about how to ask your question a little harder so it doesn't come off like you're a wind-up merchant?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I thought the responses to that guy were fine. I’ve seen his posts before, here and elsewhere, and they’re almost always Like That.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tbh there does also seem to be a bunch of people getting upset that 'you can't criticize aew' when the real pushback only happens when someone has a take that doesn't really match up with what's actually literally happening on tv

like, if you're complaining about someone not being on TV when they've been on Rampage constantly people are going to to go 'lol what are you talking about'

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dunno why that post is worth getting your dander up over

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Is the discussion here about how it is - or about acknowledging things could be better; and that perhaps some people need to adjust to encourage a wider posting community (if that's what is desired)?

This knee-jerk conspiracy Cornete thing in particular is crazy. It's like half the goons in the forum must be spending a lot of time on his website and be 100% up to date on his opinions in order to keep up with what other people are saying and be in a position of accusing them of "repeating Jim Cornette lines". I think justifying being a horrible scrote to someone because you accuse them of being a bot for a podcaster is an attitude that needs to be dropped going forward if things are going to get better. Sometimes it's just someone with a negative opinion and if they can be grouped in with a pariah of the PSP then it's easier to shut them up.

If someone is genuinely trying to troll your favourite hobby then report to a mod, if it's consistent block them. Don't get out the whiteboard/red string or start rounding up a posse.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 1, 2022

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Plenty of new people have started posting in the thread that aren't assholes. Don't think there's a problem here. Next!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
people didn't do that though, they just weren't open and friendly to someone who seemed like they weren't asking a genuine question

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Plenty of new people have started posting in the thread that aren't assholes. Don't think there's a problem here. Next!
maybe less of this jb

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

For my own two cents since my post was pointed out I think I gave them the response they deserved which was disbelief at the idea that someone could think Moxley is such a bad wrestler he had to be carried by Jericho. It just didn't make any sense. But I did actively attempt to not be mean in my post

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think you horrible scrotes should be nicer

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Hausu Usher posted:

If someone is genuinely trying to troll your favourite hobby then report to a mod, if it's consistent block them. Don't get out the whiteboard/red string or start rounding up a posse.

Telling obvious trolls to gently caress off is more fun than just reporting them or pressing ignore though.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Genuinely sorry for assuming someone listens to Cornette just for asking an abrasive question that sounds just like him.

escape artist posted:

So I'm finally back into wrestling after 20+ years thanks to AEW. I do have to say though, Jim Cornette's weekly criticism is part of my enjoyment too.

Oh right it wasn't an assumption. Getting really old having to defend myself and being called a Horrible scrote because I didn't let some guy know the thing he definitely really wanted to know.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Hausu Usher posted:

Is the discussion here about how it is - or about acknowledging things could be better; and that perhaps some people need to adjust to encourage a wider posting community (if that's what is desired)?

This knee-jerk conspiracy Cornete thing in particular is crazy. It's like half the goons in the forum must be spending a lot of time on his website and be 100% up to date on his opinions in order to keep up with what other people are saying and be in a position of accusing them of "repeating Jim Cornette lines". I think justifying being a horrible scrote to someone because you accuse them of being a bot for a podcaster is an attitude that needs to be dropped going forward if things are going to get better. Sometimes it's just someone with a negative opinion and if they can be grouped in with a pariah of the PSP then it's easier to shut them up.

nobody was being a horrible scrote in any way, or rounding anyone up. why do you believe this?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

The defensiveness of the horrible scrotes ITT. :sickos:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"Here's an example of a post where a mod could of helped"

"Oh wow yeah, that's a really bad post that obviously was trying to upset people"

"FIRST OFF YOU HORRIBLE SCROTE"