Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

The most unrealistic part of that episode was Doctor Who in jousting armor that didn't cover his face.

Literally nobody would joust without a face covering.

I noticed that too, that was definitely inexcusably dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Chemtrailologist posted:

Do crabs actually eat people alive? I'm just imagining some comical pinching and the crab scuttling away.

I think coconut crabs (huge) have allegedly attacked people but for the most part they are scavengers. The smaller ones probably wouldn’t even be able to break human flesh.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Shoulda went with snapping turtles instead, terrifying creatures.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

AMELIA EARHART WAS NOT ENOUGH

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I noticed that too, that was definitely inexcusably dumb.

I mean I'm pleased that he was even wearing a helmet period given how rarely people wore them on GoT.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

The most unrealistic part of that episode was Doctor Who in jousting armor that didn't cover his face.

Literally nobody would joust without a face covering.

Oh my god I am so glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed this and was bothered by it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I mean is it really unrealistic that a supremely arrogant royal ditches basic safety protocol in favour of a cool dragon helmet?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

I mean is it really unrealistic that a supremely arrogant royal ditches basic safety protocol in favour of a cool dragon helmet?

Considering the cool dragon helmet could have been even cooler with a cool dragon visor? Yes, yes it is.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think the tourney knight comment is more about how the Kingsguard is more like Secret Service, and needs to be someone who’s more prepared for surprise assassins and stuff, where raw 1v1 combat skills are nice to have but pointless if you aren’t getting into the fight until after the King has been stabbed

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I know a few people have touched on this and that it mirrors the book but the King picking Alicent felt unearned or at least very rushed. Either give us more drawn out scenes of him becoming more smitten (beyond the more fatherly "check out my model train") or give us more of Otto scheming. As is, it's less that he's a fool and more what?/why?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BWV posted:

I know a few people have touched on this and that it mirrors the book but the King picking Alicent felt unearned or at least very rushed. Either give us more drawn out scenes of him becoming more smitten (beyond the more fatherly "check out my model train") or give us more of Otto scheming. As is, it's less that he's a fool and more what?/why?

Was chatting with my brother about the show the other day and we were saying the same thing. Sure there's a time skip and presumably they met a lot then but you don't actually show any of it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BWV posted:

Seems to me that he's just choosing her because she's the choice that upsets his life the least*. He's already massively influence by Otto, and their personal relationship is amicable enough that he doesn't feel like he has to worry about great emotional turmoil on that front. Basically, he's not choosing her for any reason that a normal person would, nor a king, but due to the character flaws they have spent like half the show on.

*Please ignore the potential consequences of choosing her.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I can see that but he also spends a great deal of time in the second episode talking to people and getting advice and seemingly comprehending it. He also has smaller discussions with characters about duty and obligation etc. so picking her for immediate convenience doesn't sit right with me.
I think I can buy him desiring her or seeing her as a pleasant/caring/worthwhile partner, but like I said, I think they rushed that so it all felt a bit stupid. Which I guess fits if the King's main characteristic is Being Dumb but I felt like he had (should have) more depth than that.

BWV fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 1, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's been a long time since I read the book but the king married Aemma when she was like 10 or 11 and got her knocked up when she was 12,, which probably explains why she had so many issues with childbirth.

I really dislike the whole concept in GRRM's world that girls are wife material as soon as they hit puberty. It doesn't track with what we know of medieval society. Betrothals and arranged marriage was common amongst nobility, but nobody was loving and making babies until both parties were in their 20s.

yeah ironically GoT show making everyone ~5 years older made it -more- historically arcuate than GRRM books

a quick glance at wikipedia article for Queens of England of medieval era show avg age of marriage was late teens, and in cases where marriage occurred earlier than late teens the first kids only came when she reached her late teens.

That being said you do have cases like Isabella of Valois whose husband ummmm

wikipedia posted:

On 29 June 1406 Isabella, aged 16, married her paternal cousin, Charles (1394–1465), aged 11.[9]

Her husband became Duke of Orléans in 1407 following the assassination of his father. She died in childbirth on 13 September 1409 at the age of 19. Her daughter, Joan of Valois (1409–1432) survived and married John II, Duke of Alençon (1409–1476) in 1424.[10]

Typo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 1, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BWV posted:

I can see that but he also spends a great deal of time in the second episode talking to people and getting advice and seemingly comprehending it. He also has smaller discussions with characters about duty and obligation etc. so picking her for immediate convenience doesn't sit right with me.
I think I can buy him desiring her or seeing her as a pleasant/caring/worthwhile partner, but like I said, I think they rushed that so it all felt a bit stupid. Which I guess fits if the King's main characteristic is Being Dumb but I felt like he had (should have) more depth than that.

Nah it felt to me that he was feeling the pressure to choose a wife, and Otto had presented the least bad option to him. He doesn't actually feel anything for her beyond the fact that she's not a literal child and that she was nice to him. It's not him choosing love over duty, it's him being played very easily.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I guess in retrospect I can see that as his motivation but it felt like he had more pressure to marry his cousin which would inevitably lead to the less people being unhappy. Everyone he talked to basically told him to unite the houses so if he's going to spurn them I feel like we need a bit more. Maybe if they gave us more extensive scenes with Otto telling him how important it is to marry and have a male heir in case Daemon challenged Rhaenyra's claim, and so picking someone who is 17 instead of 12 makes more sense (gross). I'm all for him being played I just felt like it wasn't set up well enough.

Anyway, thus far I've found the scenes involving Daemon to be the most compelling. I feel like him and the Sea Snake steal every scene. Head of the Kigns Guard guy is also cool as poo poo. So I'm enjoying it but feel like the speed of each episode thus far

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Commander of the KG is played by Graham McTavish, who among other great roles played Dracula in the NF Castlevania series, and Dwalin (the bad rear end dwarf) in the Hobbit series. Great Scottish actor.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

BWV posted:

He likes her, she’s nice to him and doesn’t make fun of his warhams, he doesn’t want to marry a 12yo and he’s pissed off with everyone around him and wants to upset some apple carts I think.

E: Graham McTavish also was a silver fox Scottish rebel in Outlander. He’s getting a lot of roles these days.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

McTavisch was also on Witcher, Preacher and Lucifer so it seems he gets called every time someone adopts something

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BWV posted:

I guess in retrospect I can see that as his motivation but it felt like he had more pressure to marry his cousin which would inevitably lead to the less people being unhappy. Everyone he talked to basically told him to unite the houses so if he's going to spurn them I feel like we need a bit more.
You're ascribing some deep thought to the guy that he really doesn't have, while also being really close on his actual motives.

Everyone's pressuring him to get married, nearly all of them to his cousin, but he doesn't want to marry his cousin, she's 12 and it's weird. He's not trying to spurn anyone, he's trying to compromise -- fine, he'll get married so everyone will shut up, but not to the child, he'll marry the teenager who's nice to him and he doesn't mind hanging out with.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Also Daemon deliberately targeting his opponents horse also leapt out as well. Which would have been seen as blatant cheating in an actual tourney and gotten you banned. Even if he's the Kings brother and thought he could get away with it, everyone else would have been outraged and he should have been booed to the rafters.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cristian Cole feels like a very GRRM name. Like the dude is obviously gonna be way more significant than his basic rear end name suggests.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What are they going to do, ban the guy who’s using live Valyrian steel?

Get real.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

What are they going to do, ban the guy who’s using live Valyrian steel?

Get real.

It's OK because the dude using a real flail in a tourney beat him up by hitting him while his back was turned so justice was served.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

You're ascribing some deep thought to the guy that he really doesn't have, while also being really close on his actual motives.

Everyone's pressuring him to get married, nearly all of them to his cousin, but he doesn't want to marry his cousin, she's 12 and it's weird. He's not trying to spurn anyone, he's trying to compromise -- fine, he'll get married so everyone will shut up, but not to the child, he'll marry the teenager who's nice to him and he doesn't mind hanging out with.

Her being 12 is weird even on the politics level. If the concern is having an heir pronto, marrying a child who hasn't even gone through puberty is a bad plan!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vanilla Bison posted:

Her being 12 is weird even on the politics level. If the concern is having an heir pronto, marrying a child who hasn't even gone through puberty is a bad plan!

Yeah, I can see the argument that it would end the long-simmering resentment with that side of the family, but it most definitely does not solve the heir problem, which everyone is telling him is super urgent.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

BWV posted:

"Your father is no fool."

*Her father proceeds to make another in a series of massive, unforced blunders*

stev posted:

Nah it felt to me that he was feeling the pressure to choose a wife, and Otto had presented the least bad option to him. He doesn't actually feel anything for her beyond the fact that she's not a literal child and that she was nice to him. It's not him choosing love over duty, it's him being played very easily.

I'm liking the characterization so far. Viserys was not cool with marrying a child even if it was permitted. Daemon will probably do something heartless and cruel to Mysaria because it's gurm but he at least seemed to actually hear what she was saying at the end of this episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Cristian Cole feels like a very GRRM name. Like the dude is obviously gonna be way more significant than his basic rear end name suggests.

They're presenting him as the handsome nice guy knight right now, so I assume he's gonna secretly be an arsehole, since Thrones likes subverting the chivalry stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It varied from era to era and place to place. It was extremely common, for instance, in pre-Renaissance northern Italy to marry girls very young and not as common in say, England. This all depended on various economic, social, cultural, geographic, and political variables.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

This is also my read. Viserys, despite his personal reluctance to remarry so soon after the death of his (genuinely beloved) wife, is willing to do his duty for the realm. But he also wants to be personally happy, and out of the limited pool of candidates, Alicent is both not a literal child and has built up some rapport with the king already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IDK seems like a no brainer to me

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1565085276703100928
Hah, that seems like a bad thing, right? Isn't Miguel Sapochnik the one guy from the original GoT show that seemed to know what he was doing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sapochnik was the director of some of the tippy top GoT episodes like Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards. In his statement he says he's leaving amicably, and he's being replaced by Alan Taylor, who directed seven episodes, mostly in the first and second season, like Baelor, Fire and Blood, and Valar Morghulis. So, knowing nothing about the men beyond their resumes, it seems like they are about the same tier of "guy involved with GoT"

quote:

“Working within the Thrones universe for the past few years has been an honor and a privilege, especially spending the last two with the amazing cast and crew of House of the Dragon,” Sapochnik said in a statement. “I am so proud of what we accomplished with season one and overjoyed by the enthusiastic reaction of our viewers. It was incredibly tough to decide to move on, but I know that it is the right choice for me, personally and professionally. As I do so, though, I am deeply comforted to know that Alan will be joining the series. He’s someone I’ve known and respected for a long time, and I believe this precious series could not be in safer hands. I am so glad to remain a part of the HBO and House of the Dragon family and, of course, I wish Ryan and his team success and all the best with season two and beyond.”

He also signed a first look deal with HBO so this reads more like he's bored with Westeros and wants to do other stuff than there are insurmountable creative problems looming.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Probably leaving to start up Dunk & Egg, I can see HBO turning this into a Star Wars thing with alternating show seasons

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

bobjr posted:

I think the tourney knight comment is more about how the Kingsguard is more like Secret Service, and needs to be someone who’s more prepared for surprise assassins and stuff, where raw 1v1 combat skills are nice to have but pointless if you aren’t getting into the fight until after the King has been stabbed

I could be wrong but I don't think any King has been assassinated or survived an attempted assassination at this point. The Kingsguard is largely ceremonial and a way to grant favoured positions to noble failsons in order to appease noble houses.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jahaerys had to use his kingsguard to protect him and his sister Queen when they decided to get married, their mom and uncle/father tried to split them up and annul the marriage since they were both too young to assert their rule.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

As for assassinations, Maegor was almost certainly assassinated (or else he was just very clumsy and unlucky).

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

What was up with Otto turning up at Dragonstone with a maester, some egg-touchers, and a dozen dudes in armour to stand down Daemon? Dude has a literal army holed up in one of the most defensible fortresses in Westeros and the biggest loving dragon imaginable who could sneeze and wipe out Otto's entire party. If negotiations failed were they planning to run up to the castle walls Monty Python Holy Grail style and start hacking at them with their swords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

What was up with Otto turning up at Dragonstone with a maester, some egg-touchers, and a dozen dudes in armour to stand down Daemon? Dude has a literal army holed up in one of the most defensible fortresses in Westeros and the biggest loving dragon imaginable who could sneeze and wipe out Otto's entire party. If negotiations failed were they planning to run up to the castle walls Monty Python Holy Grail style and start hacking at them with their swords?

They were most likely going to retreat if negotiations went badly. Otto has his guys put away their weapons before Rhaeneyra shows up.