Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

nitsuga posted:

Nice, Boss still has the manual out there too. Some nice light reading material for later. My ME-80 is similarly sturdy, and I should really read up on that thing too. Still don’t know how to use the patches. :(

Yeah, it seems nobody including myself has spent much effort on trying to control these with MIDI. I'm hoping I can do some rudimentary controls with it. It has so much built into it and pretty easy to use basic features. I'm guessing offhand you can't do much with MIDI though beyond syncing.

The Krohn-Hite is here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
In addition to the Hondo, got this today

Epiphone By Gibson S300 from 1988 with the "straight" hockey stick headstock

Also, on the Hondo

Original DiMarzio K10 neck pickup

Non-original bridge pickup, which is a DiMarzio DP103 PAF NECK pickup. Considering the wiring is all hosed up, the tone controls don't work, the toggle switch is upside down, and it's shielded with aluminum foil, I'll probably tear it down and rewire things. I may also spring for a correct DiMarzio K10 to get it back to stock.

widefault fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 19, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I only own this because a friend sent it in exchange for a $170 donation to charity once I test it to make sure it all actually works but :staredog: -- A&H Xone4D, since I see I covered that up

credit-card sized arturia thing for scale.

Cool! I was always really curious to see how the controller sections mapped to stuff when these things used to be all the rage among 'somewhere between a dj and a live pa act' guys like Deadmau5. Maybe pop over to the dj thread and let us know how they feel!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Agreed posted:

got 'em into an ideal range to actually pick up the vibration, muuuuch better. Frankly better than I expected, these 8 string ones with "Cepheus" in-house branding actually sound quite good.

I agree, string-to-pickup spacing is a big deal! I put a couple of cheap Chinese invader knockoffs into a monoprice guitar (with new, cheap but well-installed pots and such) and they sounded like crap. Then a week later I realized they were sitting at the top of their adjustment range in those pickup rings, so I brought them down and they cleared up so beautifully they actually sound sneaky awesome now.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgUex9K0-5c

:toot:

just need an arpitecht and maybe some not terrible oscillator voice(s) oh and maybe another Zlobz or three and uh a triad and uh, poo poo, I should have bought a bigger rack

Mister Speaker posted:

Cool! I was always really curious to see how the controller sections mapped to stuff when these things used to be all the rage among 'somewhere between a dj and a live pa act' guys like Deadmau5. Maybe pop over to the dj thread and let us know how they feel!

it's gonna be a couple weeks before I have time to get Traktor setup and really see and I am hardly a DJ but will be happy to provide my feedback! If it's not for me, I may go to gear trades thread -- given the circumstances I got it under I'd feel weird selling it and not at all weird trading it for things more useful to me. On the other hand, maybe I fall in love with it and end up with a second coffin.... at which point I think I have to start knocking walls in the house down :laugh:

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Agreed posted:

First, I got an Agile Septor 827 - 8 string, 27 inch scale. I had it set up yesterday and it plays great. The stock pickup installation was badly done, to be honest, it had two offset pieces of hard foam under the pickups and the screws were way down smushing the foam so they were very far from the strings. Tech replaced that with a more standard spring assembly and got 'em into an ideal range to actually pick up the vibration, muuuuch better. Frankly better than I expected, these 8 string ones with "Cepheus" in-house branding actually sound quite good.

Congrats on this! I’ve owned probably 8 Agiles over the years, and haven’t had any real complaints on any of them, besides maybe weight and the 30” scale on an 830 was too much for me. Still looking at their headless models, I had to drop out of the original .strandberg run (was around #42 on the build wait list) cos it didn’t come up for almost 2 years after I hopped on, and while the Agile’s don’t look as good I can’t imagine they’re bad guitars.

Afaik the Cepheus pickups were modeled somewhat after lundgrens, but with a slightly tamed high end. Was always impressed with them, seemed to cover a pretty decent range of tones and worked as a great all-around pickup.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Been a while since I’ve done any music postings. Almost everything in the lineup is fairly new to the fold, minus the Geddy that is just a workhorse.

Bronco Bass with a Dimarzio hot rail.
1972 Greco bass body modified to fit Fender necks.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Fender Player Series Precision
Fender FSR Daybreak Telecaster
Charvel Joe Duplantier Telecaster

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That’s one hell of a lineup. What you plugging into all the cabs?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nitsuga posted:

That’s one hell of a lineup. What you plugging into all the cabs?

For guitar, I’ve got my 11rack and a Traynor YSR-1 that’s been so heavily modified I don’t know what to call it.

For bass, I’ve got the Traynor TS-75, the Traynor YBA-1A, and a Markbass CMD102P combo. Little bit of :canada: pride with the Traynor.

Also my forever old Mexican Strat there too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

drat. That’s a great collection too.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 21, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Pulled the trigger on this guy yesterday, along with a lot of other new gear purchases:

I bought this particular brand new Ibanez S-Series SEW761FMNTM with an Ibanez PowerPad gig bag.

This guitar is the cosmetic little sister to my RG1070, and together I intend to play these two guitars as my main instruments for the live tribute project I am attached to today.

Also finally moved on several pickup questions:
What to do about the V4 noiseless pickups in my 2017 Strat Elite? Jason Lollar '64s with the hotter bridge pickup. Gonna solve two problems with one set of pickups: No you do not need an EJ Strat, and yes you can do better than these V4s, and yes you should have Lollars.

DiMarzio land: Bought replacement Humbucker From Hell for the neck position (currently stock Air Norton) on the RG1070, love that HfH on my JEM77FP so I decided I could use another.
Bought a super nice gold-covered Mo' Joe for the bridge (currently a ToneZone) of the new 761 S-Series.

Also due this week: A used Fractal FM3/FC-6 pair for the new band, so the FX3 and its FC can stay hooked up to the studio at all times. No more loading that in and out! My live gear footprint is going to be tiny!

We have rehearsal Sunday night, and then next week we have a couple candidates to audition for keys, rhythm guitar, vocals. Hopefully I will have everything ready for Sunday and can get a little video to share.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Pulled the trigger on this guy yesterday, along with a lot of other new gear purchases:

I bought this particular brand new Ibanez S-Series SEW761FMNTM with an Ibanez PowerPad gig bag.

This guitar is the cosmetic little sister to my RG1070, and together I intend to play these two guitars as my main instruments for the live tribute project I am attached to today.

Nice, congrats! I have an S-series model that has the HSH configuration of the Air Norton (neck), True Velvet (middle) and Tone Zone (bridge), and that True Velvet was always my favourite pickup out of the three. I would love to try out an SSH that has a True Velvet in the neck.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

homewrecker posted:

Nice, congrats! I have an S-series model that has the HSH configuration of the Air Norton (neck), True Velvet (middle) and Tone Zone (bridge), and that True Velvet was always my favourite pickup out of the three. I would love to try out an SSH that has a True Velvet in the neck.
I first bought a Blue Velvet when I was trying to find a good substitute for a JEM Single-coil. Eventually the Blue Velvet was discontinued but the True Velvet lived on as its successor. I have three JEM Singles and one BV in the red RG. There is also one BV in the middle of a USA Custom Exotic Wood RG. Then there's um... the TV in the RG1070. So I *really* like the BV and the TV; but I never got to play the neck position version of the TV before and man it's expessive. Nothing about it strikes me as unsuitable for the job but I tend to move on those opinions over time, to whatever degree. Obviously not too damned much.

You guys have no idea how close I came to either a) buying a used Gurhrie Govan model Charvel, a used Fender EVH Wolfgang Premium, or b) having Warmoth build me a custom EVH/Racer X guitar. This was not only more economical but I used some of the money I saved to order a full set of Lollar 64's with the overwound bridge pickup and a harness for my 2017 Strat Elite. I was looking at EJ Strats too, and talked myself out of that by getting these pickups to replace the V4 Noiseless in the Strat. Gonna bring that guitar to a whole new level, I promise.

lg, you will want to check that one out when it's ready. Traditional Lollar 1964 Pre-CBS Fender custom shop type stuff, overwound because we meant it more. ;)

Crosspostin'
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4006663&pagenumber=25&perpage=40#post525804480

quote:

My bad. No mystery if you've been watching the new gear pics thread, but wow what a great new addition to the collection. Really really digging the S Series. Here she is with her big sister, the 2019 Ibanez RG1070 (left).

On the right is the new 2022 Ibanez SEW761FMNTL (S-series, Exotic Wood, Flame-Maple, Natural Matte):

First thing is I practically worried the box was empty when I picked it up. It's a 5 lb. 10 oz. guitar in a padded bag, weighs next to nothing:

Guitar had not been set up at all. It was tuned up, sorta, but the saddles were all stupid high and the neck had so much relief I was just really glad to learn the truss rod hadn't been tightened enough to straighten the neck yet. Ok, cool. Basic setup stuff done, action nice and low, so far no issues. I was really afraid the thing had been sent to me in that shape to hide a really bad fret job. The frets are dirty like it sat in a plastic bag in a cardboard box in a shipping container for a long time but never saw a showroom. Waiting on a new DiMarzio Mo' Joe pickup to replace the ToneZone in the neck bridge. There is already a TZ in the RG on the left, there, and it stays.

Speaking of pickups, I had never played a DiMarzio True Velvet neck pickup before today, it's gnarly. I'm good with them for now. VERY bright and clear, pick attack really cuts through.

Not gonna go into a rabbit about why but I am really crazy pleased with the roasted maple neck, too. It feels fantastic, fits my hand just like a JEM neck and has the same smooth satin finish. Feels like raw wood, a little.

When the pickup gets here it goes in and if there is room I'll put in a push-pull series/parallel switch on the Mo' Joe.

Truss rod is in great shape and operates smoothly. Tuning machines untested. Bridge is a bolt-on hard-tail and looks great, very thick base, solid. The thing resonates like my hard-tail string-through-body Strat-style that I built thirty years ago. It's super loud. The action is pretty darned good but after the neck has sat a couple days I'll take a more focused run at a setup, after I swap in the new bridge pickup and pick a string gauge. Probably sticking with my current favorite XT .010s. As far as cosmetics are concerned I haven't really looked. Just now realizing that. Guess I'll go get a cloth and a light. :)

gregday
May 23, 2003

Extremely on the fence about picking up this SG:

(Reverb pic)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Why on the fence? Anything we can help with?

It's gorgeous, for sure.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gregday posted:

(Reverb pic)

Mate, let us knock that fence down for you.

That thing rules.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

gregday posted:

(Reverb pic)

If it's good enough for Sister Rosetta Tharp, then it's loving good enough for you.

(Seriously, it looks pretty sweet.)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Something hilarious followed me home today.

New 5150 Iconic 80 Watt Head.

I have spent the past 2 hours on the Red Channel plugged into my Mesa 4x12 and have had an absolute blast with it.

It goes CHUG.

And that's about it. But GODDAMN does it Chug. It's loving great. It's a bit like watching a criminally dumb action movie which you suspect is lowering your IQ each minute you spend watching it, but you don't give a gently caress. You're sitting there with a poo poo-eating grin loving every second of it.

After about 2 hours of almost no tweaking, I was able to get some decent Gojira-esque tones out of it, but the strings on my explorer are totally dead.

Either way, if you play Metal or anything that requires an absolutely hideously absurd amount of gain, get one. They're great.

Edit: I'm having far too much fun with this thing. I doubt I'm getting the best out of it, but here's some badly played Gojira riffs on the Red Channel with Burn on and me having a very good time
https://soundcloud.com/blackhandaus...=social_sharing

H13 fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 26, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Clean channel is dope for pedal dirt too!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The EVH Iconic is awesome. I have the EVH 100w Stealth and 100w EL34 heads, and I’ve compared the Iconic to both of them side by side in my studio. The Iconic could absolutely sit right there with them, and both of those amps cost over twice as much as the Iconic.

Killer amp. The Green OD channel is particularly good, be sure not to skip out on that one.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
$75.95 at the pawnshop

Mid-90s Washburn Mercury Series, made in Korea. Missing middle pickup, changed to a 3 way switch. Not something I would play, but it plays good, not something I can flip for much, so why buy it?

For the set of Seymour Duncans, a JB and a TB4(F-spaced JB), marked as such with no other info, so they should be about the same age as the guitar.

Going pull those, throw in a set of cheap humbuckers and dump the guitar on Reverb and hopefully end up with the pickups for free.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Cool strap

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Cool strap

Came with the guitar, too! I did once buy a guitar for the strap. Lotus Strat copy, came with a 70's "hippie" strap that is probably worth more than the guitar was. Sold the guitar for more than I paid, kept the strap for my "vintage" strap pile.

FYI, only the Gibson and the one to the left of the CONCERTO branded one are any good. The rest like to slide around, are stiff, or scratchy on my neck, or smell weird, or a combination. They might be interesting to look at but most of them suck to use.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Clean channel is dope for pedal dirt too!

GreatGreen posted:

Killer amp. The Green OD channel is particularly good, be sure not to skip out on that one.

Green Channel?

It DOES sound cool, but for those sorta tones I prefer to stick with my JVM ;)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm a guitar dummy. Did you get those guitar sounds, just with the amp? I mean, with a guitar just plugged in, without any effects? Does it basically have a monster overdrive circuit built in?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 27, 2022

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

I'm a guitar dummy. Did you get those guitar sounds, just with the amp? I mean, with a guitar just plugged in, without any effects? Does it basically have a monster overdrive circuit built in?

Not OP, but yeah pretty much! Pedal overdrive and whatnot was originally designed to emulate the overdrive of tube amps. Same basic principal, take signal, amplify it and push it hard. Just done through multiple stages with tubes instead of a pedal with ICs or whatnot.

There's a lot of amazing amps with dirt channels, or a single channel capable of getting filthy. I don't have a 5150 but I have a Soldano clone, a Blackstar, Marshall and all sorts that sound like dirty filthy goodness. My Hiwatt is clean, but if I turn up the gain and master volume it also gets crunchy and nasty (good).

It's one of the big attractions to analog amps and something digital amps try to emulate. Push gain and volume, go big nasty in a good way.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

B33rChiller posted:

If this was pointed at me and the example I posted, yuuuuuuuup. All 5150 glorious chug.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

H13 posted:

Green Channel?

Yeah, I like the built in distortion a lot but I have returned to my pedal-loving ways and this amp takes pedals on the clean channel about as well as any amp I've ever used. Got some fuzzes and distortions that give me sounds way different from the high gain channel and it doesn't sound cheesy or bullshit, just, fuckin', huge. One of the most versatile amps I've ever owned, really pleased with it every time I play.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Most of my favorite guitar sounds I've made myself are green channel 5150 and a clean boost. It's like right in between the green and red on their own

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rightio, I'll have another look at the green channel. I have to admit that I just got it for the chugs and the prices of a 5150 these days are absurd...

6505s and Old 5150s go for around 2200 AUD
I saw a 50 Watt 5153 go for 2k used...

This came up for sale, new, for 1k.

I have to admit my initial plays of the green channel did nothing to excite me. Any recommendations of pedals\settings to try out as a starting spot? I noticed it took a Fuzz Face pretty decently.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

H13 posted:

Rightio, I'll have another look at the green channel. I have to admit that I just got it for the chugs and the prices of a 5150 these days are absurd...

6505s and Old 5150s go for around 2200 AUD
I saw a 50 Watt 5153 go for 2k used...

This came up for sale, new, for 1k.

I have to admit my initial plays of the green channel did nothing to excite me. Any recommendations of pedals\settings to try out as a starting spot? I noticed it took a Fuzz Face pretty decently.

The Iconic's Green channel in OD mode definitely brings the chugs.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well drat.

Had a go at it just with a TS808 and you're right. It brings the chugs. There's a lot more to it than I first thought.

I like the overall tone of the green channel, however I wish it cleaned up a bit more. It's also a TAD compressed for my liking, but...if you've ever had the joy of plugging into a cranked Plexi at unholy volumes, you'll realise that every amp is too compressed in comparison...

Then I switch back to the burn mode on red channel, and make ugly faces while slamming Drop D power-chords. What a great fun amp.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm gonna be obnoxious and post this track in more than one thread even though our loyal readership here in the ML is probably gonna see it anywhere, I love you guys <3

Excuse for posting it here, well, it combines a bunch of new poo poo into a track.

Korg Kaossilator Pro+, Korg OpSix synth, Toneczar Openhaus. Korg Kaossilator Pro+ is most of the parts, OpSix is handling the bass synth (recorded into the Kaossilator Pro+, then brought in and out with its looper into my DAW as needed for the track). Love the "live" feel of working with this thing and the touch screen is a lot of fun though it takes some real effort to be precise with it.

I recorded all the guitar parts into the 5150 Iconic's Green channel dialed in for a fully clean amp tone.

Guitar tone is Rocket Squeegee comp -> EQD The Warden opto comp -> Tim V3 -> Toneczar Openhaus -> 5150-I green channel, with its XLR speaker out to simplify getting it into my DAW, then an instance of UVI Dual Delay X for the delay ITB.

https://soundcloud.com/user-612970086/tide-glider

This is badass, Dr. F :)

widefault posted:

$75.95 at the pawnshop

Mid-90s Washburn Mercury Series, made in Korea. Missing middle pickup, changed to a 3 way switch. Not something I would play, but it plays good, not something I can flip for much, so why buy it?

Man that looks rad to me, if I were local to you I'd pay for the body and neck once you get the SDs out of it and make a project out of it!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 28, 2022

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My bass rig as it currently stands the other than the new amp (Ampeg 100w 1x12" Rocketbass - sounds lovely) the main changes are to make the board bass-centric rather than guitar-centric - as such my Catalinbread Naga Viper (Treble Boost) is replaced with a BOSS BC1-X Compressor, a Darkglass B3K and a Bass Big Muff. The Delay is something I've had for a while and doesn't really work unless I'm trying to do solo atmospheric stuff, but the Dimension seems to be perfect for the Bass - it doesn't give the seasick vibe of a Chorus but gives a really nice gentle movement to the sound particularly with the Muff.

The B3K is very subtle without the 'grunt' enabled, but sounds very nice indeed with it.

Overall, I'm very pleased.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Instead of buying moar modulez I got digitaldeckcovers and decksavers for almost everything here worth protecting. Still need a cover of some kind for the 0coast, doesn't look like anyone makes one.

arpitecht goes brrr in a variety of scales.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

My first Epiphone!

I’m at a bit of a loss identifying exactly what model it is, so if anyone is up for the challenge go right ahead.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

nitsuga posted:

My first Epiphone!

I’m at a bit of a loss identifying exactly what model it is, so if anyone is up for the challenge go right ahead.

Set neck? G-400 or G-400 Pro if it has coil taps.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ah, the Grovers threw me off, but I guess they did have them on earlier models. I think it's a plain old G-400, but one of the tone pots does seem to protrude more than the other.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Based on the lack of shine I think its a Faded G-400 - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EGGVWCCH--epiphone-faded-g-400-worn-cherry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That’s the ticket I’m pretty sure. Switch tip matches and everything too. Maybe I should go play it now. :-/