Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Didnt read this thread for like a month, tried to skip all pages because I never wanted to learn the reason for the new thread title and ended up basically getting it on this latest page this sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ARACHTION posted:

Didnt read this thread for like a month, tried to skip all pages because I never wanted to learn the reason for the new thread title and ended up basically getting it on this latest page this sucks.

this page seems like a safe bet so far

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

malin akerman

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The year 1146 was when Eleanor of Aquitaine committed to the Second Crusade. Just goes to show that we never should've let Quebec into the dominion

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
At the time of Confederation Quebec was the economic powerhouse amongst all the provinces.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If I remember that was true until the 70s. It wasnt until unrest in the province caused corporations and Anglos to flee Montreal that Toronto overtook it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah that's what I've always read. I'd be curious to actually dig into the stats to see if that was true or just another one of those bits of commonly accepted historical wisdom that gets repeated over and over again. Montreal did see a downturn in the 70s and 80s at least, but deindustrialization no doubt played a part in that too. That and fairly aggressive social democratic policies might better explain capital flight than the people in charge being more insistent about people speaking French.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Sep 1, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Also there was a risk that your corporation would no longer be in NAFTA if you were headquartered in Quebec

megahtz
Jun 24, 2020

by Hand Knit

evilpicard posted:

Do you mean ETHICAL shitposting?

ESG shitposting

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'd kill for a loving mtl smoked meat poutine right now

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
To no one in particular:

Please reference this example of an actual Communist taking Freeland to task in person for being a neolib ghoul. Take notes.

https://www.facebook.com/CommunistPartyOfCanada/videos/529289477854608/

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
To a Stockwell, everybody is a Communist

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Frosted Flake posted:

If I remember that was true until the 70’s. It wasn’t until unrest in the province caused corporations and Anglos to flee Montreal that Toronto overtook it.

Isn't that when Quebec said everything has to be french first and no English store fronts etc?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dreylad posted:

At the time of Confederation Quebec was the economic powerhouse amongst all the provinces.
Weird anecdote time. Somehow I late night etsy drunkenly purchased a pdf collection of textile and fashion trade magazines from Montreal, published in the early 1900s.
It is amazing the sheer number of textile manufacturers advertising in there.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Montreal smoked meat fried rice is good if you get the opportunity to try.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

apatheticman posted:

Montreal smoked meat fried rice is good if you get the opportunity to try.

absolutely not

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

B33rChiller posted:

Weird anecdote time. Somehow I late night etsy drunkenly purchased a pdf collection of textile and fashion trade magazines from Montreal, published in the early 1900s.
It is amazing the sheer number of textile manufacturers advertising in there.

This sounds cool as hell.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

CLAM DOWN posted:

absolutely not

Coward

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Montreal was one of Canadas largest and most important ports and railheads as well. Most likely, as you said, the crisis of Capitalism that happened at the same time was a major factor that gets lost in all of this. Torontos wealth from the 80s on is in banking, finance and real estate, I dont think it ever overtook Montreal in productive industry. In the 40s, most of Canadas heavy industry and war production was centred in Montreal.

My grandparents still called Toronto Hogtown and described old Toronto as something like Chicago or Winnipeg - stockyards, warehouses and grain silos rather than factories and office buildings. Obviously Ontario had industry in Windsor, Oshawa and Hamilton, but Toronto itself as I understand it wasnt really that much to look at.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Sep 1, 2022

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Frosted Flake posted:

Obviously Ontario had industry in Windsor, Oshawa and Hamilton, but Toronto itself as I understand it wasnt really that much to look at.

inb4 "still isn't"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/pressprogress/status/1565371718432071680

Hey CSPAM Canada thread I found you some new heros

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

lmao owned

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
This thread does love counterterrorism experts, it's true.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

This is all so very dumb because I feel like :airquote:the system:airquote: gleefully did this and is doing it to itself.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Dreylad posted:

This thread does love counterterrorism experts, it's true.

The ak47 is better than the m4a1 but nothing beats the good ol' deagle, which is available to all players and is not a noob cannon like the awp

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

An internal report from last January says you can't call Freeland a bitch

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

skewetoo posted:

This is all so very dumb because I feel like :airquote:the system:airquote: gleefully did this and is doing it to itself.

What system and how?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:37 on Oct 29, 2022

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

boy. sure glad they did something about that convoy

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Counterterrorism in Canada sure is having a field day in regards to vulnerable women

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Isn't that when Quebec said everything has to be french first and no English store fronts etc?

I think that was later but the writing was on the wall once the Parti Quebecois first took power in '76

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Even earlier the business community was doing all they could to prevent that outcome; such as publicizing the fact they were evacuating cash reserves from the province in a massive convoy of armoured trucks ahead of the election.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Futanari Damacy posted:

I am wringing my hands and clutching my pearls as we speak

at the same time?

impressive

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nine of Eight posted:

Even earlier the business community was doing all they could to prevent that outcome; such as publicizing the fact they were evacuating cash reserves from the province in a massive convoy of armoured trucks ahead of the election.

I wish I was around to see the high tide of English Quebec.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmao the article says nothing concrete at all, doesn't even specify the ministers or any of the threats, and includes a quote from the drone cake maker so you know the journalist has awful capital-l lib friends

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

It sucks poo poo when people have liberal friends

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
it turns out you can't judge people by the company they keep

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I'm always stomping my feet and crossing my arms and shouting "no no no nooooo!" whenever I find out somebody has a liberal friend, until the neighbors complain about the racket

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mameluke posted:

it turns out you can't judge people by the company they keep

God I hope this is true, what if they find out I post here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

apatheticman posted:

God I hope this is true, what if they find out I post here!