Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Nthing that the correct response there is to call the cops and turn your boss in too. Solid odds you count as a mandatory reporter in whatever part of the world you occupy.

Let me clarify that this was more than 20 years ago and I was 19 and the job was the only thing keeping me in an overpriced apartment instead of back at home.

You are, by the way, right about the mandatory reporter bit.

EDIT: In other words this

Renegret posted:

But yeah if boss drops the ball I would say you have an ethical responsibility to report. Though at that point it can be really scary especially if you're young and inexperienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

sfwarlock posted:

At my second job, little hole in the wall computer shop, I found CP on a customer computer while doing backups for a Windows reinstall. And I'm not saying "She might be 16 might be 20." I'm saying "Holy poo poo, she's ten."

I told the owner and he said he'd take care of it. The next day was my day off, the day after that I come in and the computer is gone.

"What happened with eight thirty three?"
"Got picked up yesterday."
"... what did the cops say?
"What cops?"
"... that was the computer with the ... pictures... ?"
"Yeah? It's his business what's in his computer. Would you want your mechanic calling the cops on the weed in your backseat?"
"... but?"
"Let me make this clear. If you call the cops on one of my customers, you're fired."

I had a similar situation to this happen nearly 20 years ago at my first job. I lasted another three days before I quit.

The the shop closed down years ago but I absolutely should have gone to the cops about it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

sfwarlock posted:

Let me clarify that this was more than 20 years ago and I was 19 and the job was the only thing keeping me in an overpriced apartment instead of back at home.

You are, by the way, right about the mandatory reporter bit.

EDIT: In other words this

I want to make clear that my post was not so much directed at you, but rather intended for other people reading your story who might end up in a similar situation today. Obviously 20 years later, after the damning evidence was handed back to the perpetrator is not gonna yield any results, it would already be a hard case to prove after the owner handed the computer back. I don't think anyone truly faults you for fearing for your livelihood.
My main point is, that calling the police and then having to say "Oops sorry, you are right, I should have consulted you before reporting a kiddy fiddler!" to the owner is far easier than going against "You report this, I fire you!". Like I said, no matter the dollar signs in someones eyes, very few people will suffer the face loss of actually saying "You dipshit called the police on A PEDOPHILE? How dare you! That cost me money!".

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Thankfully these days I work infrastructure-level IT at a university, so I'm immensely unlikely to run across anything unless we have a compromise, but I did run into something when I worked at a local ISP and computer store back in the 90's. The owner of the place was on the "it's their computer leave it alone" side of things, and I couldn't really afford to lose the job, but I had to live with myself afterwards so I made an anonymous tip with all the details to the FBI. I don't know what ever came of it.

One other time unrelated to anything I ran across some blatant poo poo when browsing for something or other and I filled out the FBI online form about the whole thing. Dunno what came from that either. I'm arguably happier not knowing, honestly.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Recruiting has to be the most widely ignorant field in the universe.

The worst recruiter posted:

Hello A Frosty Witch,

You have really incredible experience with IT administration & onboarding and we have an opening with [company] I think would be a really strong fit. The opening is for a Support Tech I position and I think you'd be perfect!

If you're going to automate your entire process, at least make sure your automation works cause goddamn.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That might not even be automated.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The opposite end of this happens as well. For reference, my resume is a solid 15 or so years of Android development, no server side work.

Unsolicited recruiter email posted:

<Volmarias> – I’d love to talk to you about an opportunity at DUMB_STARTUP_NAME - the startup bridging the gap between the decentralized crypto space and traditional financial institutions - allowing people to move between the two in a quick, safe and compliant manner.

The team at DUMB_STARTUP_NAME recently raised $20M seed and are seeking a Tech Lead to design and build highly available, resilient, and performant production systems that power financial services for a large number of end-users.
You will be implementing data collection and manipulation pipelines with security being at the forefront of how you design and operate these systems.

Here’s a quick overview of the role:

• Huge potential for impact on the global financial infrastructure
  • Wide exposure to the executive board which includes successful entrepreneurs and fintech veterans
  • Partner with leadership in scaling the engineering team which is planning to triple this year.
  • You will be one of the first senior hires on the team, so will build around YOU!
  • Generous compensation and equity - you will own a piece of DUMB_STARTUP to ensure you are rewarded for the great impact you’ll have.

I think your experience would be extremely relevant - if you’re passionate about financial inclusion and thrive in an unstructured environment, let me know when is a good time to chat!

Best,
DUMB_RECRUITER

Me posted:

"I think your experience would be extremely relevant" ok but it isn't so

Recruiter posted:

Hi <Volmarias>,

Thanks for getting back to me. Apologies if the position does not pique your interest.

I'm a 3rd party recruiter and always have opportunities across a variety of companies - feel free to reach out if anything changes on your end. Or, reply and let me know what your ideal next role looks like, and I'll contact you if I have a good fit.

Best,
DUMB_RECRUITER

:fuckoff:

I'm not going to do your job for you.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
cr*pto companies are INSANELY desperate for development staff right now. even after cr*pto has been crashing.

the catches:

1. the words "cryptocurrency" or "blockchain" on a resume are poison. they're looking so hard because cr*pto devs tend to be blithering incompetents, and you will be assumed to be one.
2. they will try to pay you in magic beans wherever possible.
3. they rugpull their staff the same way they rugpull the suckers.

block that recruiter every way you possibly can and think of new ones.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I got one a while back and I just told them they'd be better off trying to hire someone who wouldn't actively work to destroy the company and the entire field. They didn't even bother with the followup pitch.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I just usually get recruiters trying to hire me for my own job. We're a pretty big team with some really uncommon requirements so finding someone who hits any of the bullet points gives them a huge boost.

One day I'm going to get frustrated enough to be an rear end in a top hat to them instead of just ignoring it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Renegret posted:

I just usually get recruiters trying to hire me for my own job. We're a pretty big team with some really uncommon requirements so finding someone who hits any of the bullet points gives them a huge boost.

One day I'm going to get frustrated enough to be an rear end in a top hat to them instead of just ignoring it.

Press them and see if you can find what the pay range is, and compare to what you currently make.

*Reminds me of a story that I think a Goon posted. A member of their sales team cold called a company and offered them a killer deal that would beat the price they were currently paying for the service. Turns out, that company was already a customer of theirs and of course accepted the new terms.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hey, a sale's a sale right? Metrics and suchlike.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hughmoris posted:

Press them and see if you can find what the pay range is, and compare to what you currently make.

I'm FTE and the recruiters are always for contracts so it's not really 1:1. No benefits, no insurance, and we treat our contractors like dog poo poo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We treat the FTEs like dog poo poo too but that's besides the point

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Finally equal treatment for contractors :unsmith:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I think I should get into IT recruiting. It must be nice to be able to be so completely loving awful at a job and still keep it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

AlexDeGruven posted:

I think I should get into IT recruiting. It must be nice to be able to be so completely loving awful at a job and still keep it.

The more generalized name of that job description is Human Resources.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hughmoris posted:

The more generalized name of that job description is Human Resources.

I want to retain at least part of my soul, though

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

AlexDeGruven posted:

I want to retain at least part of my soul, though

Like an action figure, it's much more valuable to sell New-In-Box rather than as parts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, about that last part...

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
About a month ago I was contacted for what was my job a few years ago, printer tech at a hospital. The pitch ended with "what will it take for you to make this move?" I answered with "$100k and an alpaca".

The next day one of my former coworkers told me he'd been fired.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Oyster posted:

About a month ago I was contacted for what was my job a few years ago, printer tech at a hospital. The pitch ended with "what will it take for you to make this move?" I answered with "$100k and an alpaca".

Post pics of the alpaca

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Oyster posted:

Your mistake there was not asking for an alpaca maintenance stipend too.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

divabot posted:

cr*pto companies are INSANELY desperate for development staff right now. even after cr*pto has been crashing.

I received a cold-call for a crypto startup and the rep breathlessly exclaimed that I was a lucky candidate under consideration. When asked what my salary requirement was I told him $500,000 in cash, non-sequential unmarked bills, delivered up front in a green duffel bag. It was critical that the duffel bag was green.

He never responded, weirdly.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Agrikk posted:

I received a cold-call for a crypto startup and the rep breathlessly exclaimed that I was a lucky candidate under consideration. When asked what my salary requirement was I told him $500,000 in cash, non-sequential unmarked bills, delivered up front in a green duffel bag. It was critical that the duffel bag was green.

He never responded, weirdly.

So one of those "Remove all green M&Ms" for artists. If the duffel bag is not green, something will be wrong with the bills. Smart!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's why you ask for cold hard cash, in amounts too big for it to be viable to pay in coins. When they hand you a big wad of room-temperature notes you just waltz out of there and claim breach of contract.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I got an offer from a crypto company in the spring because a friend worked there, and the cash offer was stupid high.

~4 months later they've reorged, changed their name, and my friend got a new job

Never Do Crypto

except as an r/overemployed kind of thing that you don't put on your resume maybe

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Crypto as a second job. Listen to my Ted Talk, it's only $500 a ticket.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GreenNight posted:

Crypto as a second job. Listen to my Ted Talk, it's only $500 a ticket.

Do you accept doge?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

$500 in doge so I can sell when it goes up 5% and make that huge $25.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Renegret posted:

What happens if you send them a resume with your middle name on it, and go through the motions ?

I think there's been a few tall tales of people who see how far they can get, hiring themselves a minion who is also themselves.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

JUST CLEAR YOUR BROWSER CACHE

STOP ARGUING WITH ME

JUST DO IT, IT'LL FIX YOUR PROBLEM

CLEAR

YOUR

BROWSER

CACHE

omg i hate users sometimes

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

my cat is norris posted:

STOP ARGUING WITH ME

CLEAR

YOUR

BROWSER

CACHE

"I did already" the user lies

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

my cat is norris posted:

STOP ARGUING WITH ME

CLEAR

YOUR

BROWSER

CACHE

If you have intune and you feel petty, you could do a proactive remediation, ran hourly, that kills all the browsers processes and flush the cache until the user replies with a "problem solved".

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

RFC2324 posted:

"I did already" the user lies

“I rebooted twice today already. “

“Did ya now.” As task manager shows 24 days uptime.

Best trick I came up with for getting stubborn users to do what I want is to take a moment to browse the forums “make a change on the server” but then naturally it requires a reboot for the change to work. I have a 100% success rate so far, even with the person who wouldn’t reboot because “I already rebooted yesterday.” :colbert:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've had to educate users that rebooting does not mean closing the laptop lid and immediately reopening it. Gotta admit though, sometimes I wish it was!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We had this fun issue that it took me a long time to figure out.

Microsoft has been pushing down BIOS updates for HP laptops. One specific model laptop will blue screen after this happens. It took ages of Google and research to find the HP article mentioning that this happens if you do not update the audio driver before you apply the BIOS update.

Yay.

The fix -

1. Revert the BIOS to older version
2. Login to Windows and manually install the new audio driver
3. Go back to the BIOS and update back to latest
4. Now this fucks up all docking stations. The fix?
a. Shut the laptop down. Unplug the dock
b. Hold the power button + F6 to do something???? For 30 seconds
c. Now the dock works again.

Bunch of poo poo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

my cat is norris posted:

STOP ARGUING WITH ME

CLEAR

YOUR

BROWSER

CACHE

Have them use Private or Incognito Mode, depending on the browser. That proves it's either a cache issue, or a browser extension, usually.

GreenNight posted:

We had this fun issue that it took me a long time to figure out.

Microsoft has been pushing down BIOS updates for HP laptops. One specific model laptop will blue screen after this happens. It took ages of Google and research to find the HP article mentioning that this happens if you do not update the audio driver before you apply the BIOS update.

Yay.

The fix -

1. Revert the BIOS to older version
2. Login to Windows and manually install the new audio driver
3. Go back to the BIOS and update back to latest
4. Now this fucks up all docking stations. The fix?
a. Shut the laptop down. Unplug the dock
b. Hold the power button + F6 to do something???? For 30 seconds
c. Now the dock works again.

Bunch of poo poo.

Why is Microsoft pushing HP BIOS updates? That's a thing I never want to happen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Why is Microsoft pushing HP BIOS updates? That's a thing I never want to happen.

The first thing I did was edit a GPO to disable drivers being installed via Windows Update.

I think they're doing it for Windows 11 compatibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

OEMs can have driver and firmware updates delivered via Windows Update now. It makes sense because otherwise devices end up with out-of-date firmware full of security holes (thanks, Intel management engine). HP should have solved this problem by having the BIOS update being a combined sound driver and BIOS update package, though.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c07009542