Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i always made yuffie the blue mage because shes a thief so stealing enemy spells made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

But that’s just one materia

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So you give them a load of support spells to juice their casting stats too and call them a turquoise mage

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Electric Phantasm posted:

It sounds like people are having a better time of it P4S spoilers people have already reached the second phase

https://clips.twitch.tv/TangentialGiantBulgogiGingerPower-WpgmxjRQ4aA9guDj

holy poo poo that's a sickass transition

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Holy poo poo lol. I haven’t played 14 since Endwalker launch but man what a cool game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I come to this thread today with a hot take. You are entitled to yell at me all you like for it, because I know that this opinion flies in the face of all that is accepted as true within the realm of Final Fantasy enjoyers. I will be unleashing a true evil upon this thread. But I have to post it.

I regret to inform you all that Final Fantasy IX's combat is good, actually.

It seems to be generally accepted, even among FFIX's fans, that FFIX's slow-paced--some might say glacial--combat is a flaw in the game. I even thought that, for years. Or at the very least, I thought it was fine, something that neither added to my enjoyment of the game nor truly detracted from it.

But I've been replaying the game lately and I think I have to revise that opinion. I actually think the slow combat pace feels appropriate for Final Fantasy IX. It feels right. I've been trying to imagine the game with the fast-paced ATB of FFX-2 or the snappy turn-based combat of something like Persona 5 and it just doesn't feel right. The slow, weighty animations, the lazy rate that the ATB bars fill, the relaxed pace all just sort of click into place and it seems correct for this game. I'm forced to conclude that the slow combat isn't a flaw, but a feature, and that it is therefore good.

It's not good for the same reason as FFX-2's combat, or FFX's, or XIII's, or VII Remake's. It's not something that's really strategic or engaging or exciting. But it's also not trying to be. It's taking its time and hanging out, and that's another way that a game can be good. A related take I'm still working out in my head is that, perhaps ironically for a game that is such a love letter to its own series, FFIX sees Final Fantasy at its most Dragon Quest, and so I could also see Dragon Quest VIII or XI's relatively slower (compared to their 2D counterparts) turn-based combat working for FFIX just as well.

the stealing still sucks though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think IX would’ve been better with a system like X’s tbqh. The time between when you issue a command and when it actually goes off is so long it doesn’t end up really feeling “active” in any way

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Harrow posted:

the stealing still sucks though

Also Trance going off automatically making it incredibly annoying to bring into a boss fight.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also how the faster your characters, the less useful buffs are

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trance definitely still lives in that "it's Fine, I guess" realm for me. I don't really mind that I have no control over it but that's only because I just try not to pay attention to it. I don't try to line up a trance for a boss fight or anything and if a trance goes off at the end of a fight--like in my recent replay when Beatrix's final attack made Vivi trance--I just laugh because it's goofy.

It could for sure be better (and could use some rebalancing, given how many characters' trances are amazing versus some that are garbage) but it also doesn't detract from the game for me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also how the faster your characters, the less useful buffs are

Other way around, I think. Buffs last a set amount of real time in combat, not a number of turns, and the duration scales with the Spirit stat. It's not uncommon to see a spell like Protect last just one of a character's turns in the early game, for example.

The problem is mostly that the timers on buffs don't stop ticking down during animations even in wait mode.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 1, 2022

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Trance becomes a lot more viable in boss fights when you turn on the High Tide ability.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The garbage hit rate on statuses also kinda sucks. Quina ends of feeling mostly useless because the buffs don't last long enough, and the debuffs have a garbage hit rate (and also probably don't last long enough). Blue Mages should not feel useless. So you end up with another Final Fantasy game where you think "why would I use statuses or strategy when I can just hit things and heal?"

But I agree the speed of the battles doesn't bother me, and knowing how trance works means I don't get upset by it- it's not a thing you save up, it just happens sometimes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quinas a mighty guard and frog drop bot. angel's snack is also really good against necron and ozma.

edit: also buff success rate/duration is based on character's spirit stats so buffs last forever in the endgame

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you don't grind early levels, have your guys wear spirit-boosting gear and their spirit will eventually jump as they gain levels over time.

Schwartzcough posted:

The garbage hit rate on statuses also kinda sucks. Quina ends of feeling mostly useless because the buffs don't last long enough, and the debuffs have a garbage hit rate (and also probably don't last long enough). Blue Mages should not feel useless. So you end up with another Final Fantasy game where you think "why would I use statuses or strategy when I can just hit things and heal?"

But I agree the speed of the battles doesn't bother me, and knowing how trance works means I don't get upset by it- it's not a thing you save up, it just happens sometimes.
Have Quina abuse levelX spells. For instance, level 5 doom dominates Kuja's palace and unlike the bosses being overtuned in levels, you can expect plenty of easy wins in normal fights. Stone and Zombie enemies get deleted because of their status.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Doesn't Level 5 Death infamously work on those dragons outside on the cliff of Gizamluke's Grotto?

The Garudas are there too in the forest. I remember Veeg in his run killed one of them on Disk 2 I think and it was hilarious because he got more levels from fighting one of them than he had gotten in all previous fights up to this point. And unlike the dragons they're a pretty easy enemy - vulnerable to statuses, not too much health, and all their attacks are single target I'm pretty sure. One of them is Firaga too which can be dampened by various means so really all they got left is their physical attack.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Doesn't Level 5 Death infamously work on those dragons outside on the cliff of Gizamluke's Grotto?

yeah

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think FF9's combat is Fine. I don't even mind the load times that much, but the combat is just...there for me. It's not bad, but it doesn't really grab me the way that games like 5, 10, 13, and even 12 and, gasp, 2 do. A lot of the moves are pretty meh, Trance is Trance, and the only thing that really grabs at me are the passives since there's generally little reason to adapt mid-combat. It's a game I love a lot more for everything else it does, and I certainly don't hate the combat, but it's not why I'd replay it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Schwartzcough posted:

That's what Zidane's Soul Blade is for. As long as an enemy isn't immune to it, Soul Blade will always hit.

Quina's Frost and Mustard Bomb have a base 30% hit rate, which isn't that bad. They also have access to Night, which 100% puts everyone on the field to sleep, which you can guard against with Insomniac. Not to mention they have access to other elemental spells that are hardly resisted by enemies. Quina's great, and the fact they can just use Blue Magic whenever makes them a solid Blue Mage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I think FF9's combat is Fine. I don't even mind the load times that much, but the combat is just...there for me. It's not bad, but it doesn't really grab me the way that games like 5, 10, 13, and even 12 and, gasp, 2 do. A lot of the moves are pretty meh, Trance is Trance, and the only thing that really grabs at me are the passives since there's generally little reason to adapt mid-combat. It's a game I love a lot more for everything else it does, and I certainly don't hate the combat, but it's not why I'd replay it.

For me it's less that I would play FFIX "for the combat" and more that I think the combat it has is appropriate for the kind of game that it is, or at least the general pacing and relaxed difficulty of it feels right.

I also think the game could've worked with a more laid-back sort of purely turn-based combat, too, with no ATB, something like Dragon Quest XI has without the stronger monsters modifier on.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wouldn't play IX for the combat, but I have quit because of it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF games can really gently caress with your own understanding of what you think is fun combat. I think FF3DS and FF4DS have a good combat system and they’re both objectively terrible

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Harrow posted:

FFIX sees Final Fantasy at its most Dragon Quest

a devastating critique, and I agree

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

IX's combat seems fine to me so far, but I wish Trance didn't automatically happen when the bar fills

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't played vanilla IX in a long time so I guess I can't talk too much about its combat. Then again, I haven't played any of vanilla VII-X in at least a decade, unless you count an aborted low level challenge of VII that only went to Kalm.

I plan to get a new PC in the next few days so that should fix whatever installing Moguri on an external HDD did to break it and not let me re-install it. Playing through all of IX with MM's Turn-Based Mode + Alternate Fantasy is something I'm really looking forward to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Trance being a super-mode for characters that lasts multiple turns necessitates it being treated differently from one-off attacks like VII and VIII's limit breaks or X's overdrives. If you could build it up and save it for whenever you wanted it, there'd be no reason not to have everyone always Tranced for every boss fight.

If I were to suggest a "rebalance" for Trance, it would be to make it a per-battle thing that builds up much more quickly but resets at the end of battle, sort of like VII Remake's take on limit breaks. You wouldn't be able to build it up and save it, and you probably wouldn't Trance in most battles, but sometimes a battle would go on long enough (or you'd get knocked around badly enough) that a character could Trance and turn the tide. That'd keep the flavor of Trance and keep it as sort of a "bonus" thing while also eliminating the very feel-bad moment when you waste a Trance that had been building up for like an hour because some random enemy gently nudged Zidane seconds before the battle ended.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

MM is incredible. A+ recommend

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also yeah Moguri Mod absolutely rules

I haven't tried its "turn-based combat" mode but maybe I should just to see how different it feels.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i used it on my last playthrough and liked it.

i also used the 100% steal chance mod and it owned

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Moguri Mod is good is going to be studied along with the dancing plague and Havana syndrome being as they're all cases of collective insanity.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Make Trance already under High Tide and then allow another High Tide, but make the duration last half as long. You get more occurrences of Trance which generally doesn't run out during battle unless it is a boss encounter, since you hit so hard. High Tide costs so much and only works if that character gets beaten on for a while. Still a better mechanic than Hyper Mode in Xenogears.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

It seems to be generally accepted, even among FFIX's fans, that FFIX's slow-paced--some might say glacial--combat is a flaw in the game. I even thought that, for years. Or at the very least, I thought it was fine, something that neither added to my enjoyment of the game nor truly detracted from it.

the biggest reason why everyone hated the slow combat so much was that the original PS1 version also had a massive problem with combat load times

the game would take like, 30 seconds to actually put you in combat so for random encounters by the time you even got started you were already irritated, and then the combat itself also being slow just rubbed salt in the wound

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone else remember the vague rumblings about a PS2 version of IX when it originally came out? I feel like I recall Square considering it for 5 seconds since the PS2 had just been released as well.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Played a bunch more of 8 finally and man I missed carbuncle a few bosses back and I'm mad cause I was sure I checked the creature for new poo poo I always do but blehhh, I guess Ill have to wait til the end game to get em oh well.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Poor Black Mages. :ohdear:

Ay yo did this dwarf just say "gently caress"?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

A 6-year-old summoner with a crush on Zidane.... uh, ok

I get that she's had no one but moogles for company for a year, though, I guess

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

FrostyPox posted:

Poor Black Mages. :ohdear:

Ay yo did this dwarf just say "gently caress"?

No, he said "fech".

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

amigolupus posted:

That's what Zidane's Soul Blade is for. As long as an enemy isn't immune to it, Soul Blade will always hit.

Zidane has moves other than Steal? I wonder how anyone found that out considering that by the time you're done stealing everything from the enemy it has like 50 HP left.

Oh right there's a 100% steal rate thing on the HD rerelease.

FrostyPox posted:

A 6-year-old summoner with a crush on Zidane.... uh, ok

I get that she's had no one but moogles for company for a year, though, I guess

Kids develop crushes on older people all the time but yeah, it's also that she's only had moogles around for so long that she's like "I have to really impress him so he'll want to be with me and I won't be alone anymore!" Which honestly is kind of rude to the moogles, considering moogles in IX are perfectly capable of regular human speech. It's not like being stuck with V or VI moogles where they're basically just slightly more intelligent pets, they're little furry people. Though I guess it's just a matter of "I want to not be the only human."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Out of curiosity has anyone compiled a list of all the little quotes Minions have on the island?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Out of curiosity has anyone compiled a list of all the little quotes Minions have on the island?

Check Facebook my aunt's always posting them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wouldn't play IX for the combat, but I have quit because of it.

IX made me rage so much I swore off Final Fantasies for years until friends bought me a ps2 and made me play FFXI.

Still won’t play it again but 13 was interesting enough to bring me back.