Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Chop Chop says hello and he'll gladly eat any treats your puppies don't want to

what a glossy boy :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I found a video of Mina the pyr trying a cookie for the first time and it was even cuter than I remembered :kimchi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUaSen5vSkA

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Our dog has problems with bigger treats like biscuits. Fruit as well. Unless it’s in tiny pieces she will either lick it or fight it like she doesn’t know what to do. Especially if it’s new. It’s adorable.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My dumb dog. He had a TPLO almost a month ago. Jumps up on my bed this morning. I get up and go to pick him up. He jumps as I'm trying to block him and ends up crashing to the floor.

He held up his leg immediately after but is now walking with weight back on it minutes later. He better not have injured himself :ohdear:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
When people ask what kind of mix our new dog is, I don't really know and the shelter didn't really know either. Gavin is 6 months old, and my best guess is some sort of Terrier/Corgi mix or something? Anyone else have a better stab at it?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chin Strap posted:

When people ask what kind of mix our new dog is, I don't really know and the shelter didn't really know either. Gavin is 6 months old, and my best guess is some sort of Terrier/Corgi mix or something? Anyone else have a better stab at it?

Jack Russel Chihuahua

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Jack Russel Chihuahua

I’d put money on it

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

HootTheOwl posted:

Jack Russel Chihuahua

Yeah he looks very similar to my puppy who is Jack/Chihuahua except mine has wiry hair.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
*hmms and nods, thinking for a while* Looks like you got yourselves what we in the industry call a "good dog"

cailleask
May 6, 2007

That build looks a lot like my old minpin, but definitely not the coloring. How big?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

cailleask posted:

That build looks a lot like my old minpin, but definitely not the coloring. How big?

20 pounds.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Chin Strap posted:

20 pounds.

Ok i'd probably rule out chihuahua at that point then, my girl is about as old as yours and she's just under 10lbs. Jack mixed with something else would make sense tho.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Beagle, maybe?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Judging by those ears, I'd guess one parent was a bat.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I found a video of Mina the pyr trying a cookie for the first time and it was even cuter than I remembered :kimchi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUaSen5vSkA
she's so contemplative :kimchi: iris was like that too, she'd never had treats so the first few times she got a chew or a piece of cheese she dismantled it with great care, crumb by crumb, savouring every mote

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Chin Strap posted:

20 pounds.

Maybe part feist? We get a lot of feist mixes in the southeast US. They're between 10 and 30 pounds and can have perky or folded ears. Or like a rat terrier, something along those lines!

Also I'll be getting my first dog in almost 10 years tomorrow! She's a small lab-pit mix, I'll share pics once she's here :)

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’m gonna go wild and guess Italian greyhound crossed with Jack Russell based on that build and those colors.

Now you owe us an embark dna test to find out!!!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

gavin is a tiny gazelle crossed with some sort of sand fox and i love him

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I forgot to post Maggie!!

Her adoption pic had ears down so I was surprised by her bat ears!! No idea on her mix either, but definitely some pointer/gundog because she points at certain noises :3:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's a good dog right there

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

MagpieConcept posted:

I forgot to post Maggie!!

Her adoption pic had ears down so I was surprised by her bat ears!! No idea on her mix either, but definitely some pointer/gundog because she points at certain noises :3:

Honestly lots of dogs point, she looks to me like a cattle dog mix but I may be biased. Super cute!

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Ooohh I think you might be right! Here's her destroying some sweet potato.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I wanted to post to say that my dog Brooklynn died in my arms yesterday. She finally lost a long battle with canine lymphoma. We had scheduled her for euthanasia that afternoon but her heart gave out before the vet could get there. I held her while she took her last breaths and it was so hard. She fought so hard until the end.

Love your dogs extra good for Brooklynn today. I will see you again girl ❤️

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

ex post facho posted:

Love your dogs extra good for Brooklynn today. I will see you again girl ❤️

Terribly sorry for your loss. :smith:

She sounds like she was an excellent girl, and I absolutely did love on Holly a extra for her.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dogs shouldn't be allowed to die.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
thank you~

we walked twice a day in the rain snow and sunshine, even when she was so so tired at the end. her favorite food was peanut butter. she loved to squish squeaky balls in her mouth so hard that she killed the squeak part in less than a day. she protected her sister cat Puffin from being attacked by her bigger older brother cat Leo, and made sure her brother Maximum never got too excited. she barked at the mailman coming by every day when the mail slot opened. she buried her snout in our laps and rubbed it on us every night after dinner as her way of thanking us for her food. she loved lying under the tree in the backyard patiently awaiting squirrels so she could bark at them and run them off. she was never scared of thunder and always wanted to go out in the snow.

she was the best girl. I miss her so much

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
if you think your best friend is suffering like she was do not wait to let them go with in home euthanasia like i tried to selfishly. she was fine the night before, eating drinking and going up and down the stairs. I knew that morning when i let her out to pee that it was time and thr vet had openings for 11am 3pm and 5pm, we originally scheduled for 5, but then having to watch her crash in hours before my eyes and then frantically tryinf to get the vet to come sooner and hold her while she seized and her tongue wouldn't stay in her mouth was one of the hardest things I've ever experienced and I will never be able to forget it. she deserved to go peacefully with anesthesia and I wish I could have given her the passing she deserved. at least I think she knew we were there holding her paws and that we were the last thing she saw before she left us

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 5, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My parents were split when it was time to put my childhood dog down. But he was a barker, and I can't to see him and he didn't even get up. My mom was adamant to do nothing but I overruled her because he didn't even get up when me and two of my friends came to say goodbye.
We got to the vet the next day and he tried to run away.
Once he was inside he pretty much gave up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It was awful and after he was gone I had to go back inside to say goodbye one last time before they took his body away. Basically:

HootTheOwl posted:

Dogs shouldn't be allowed to die.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m so sorry for your loss, Hoot. We lost our 16 year old pug this January and I can’t get her final moments out of my head and the way the vet quietly said, “she’s gone.”
We are finally ready to get a puppy, was considering a pyr but does anyone have a link to that old thread where everyone was begging someone not to get one?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

remigious posted:

I’m so sorry for your loss, Hoot. We lost our 16 year old pug this January and I can’t get her final moments out of my head and the way the vet quietly said, “she’s gone.”
We are finally ready to get a puppy, was considering a pyr but does anyone have a link to that old thread where everyone was begging someone not to get one?

That thread was a maremma, which is like pyr traits turned up to an 11. I've got a pyr though. Do you like your dog to completely ignore you unless it's their idea? Do you want it to look like it's snowing inside because there is so much hair? Do you like trimming approximately 4 thousand nails each time they need a nail trim? Do you enjoy barking all night every night? Are you suspicious of your friends and family and want someone to supervise them whenever they visit? Do you like just a lot of drool all over everything? They are very sweet dogs and I love mine a lot but I wouldn't have her if I didn't need her to live with my sheep and protect them.

Oh here's the maremma thread for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090725

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

That thread was a maremma, which is like pyr traits turned up to an 11. I've got a pyr though.
pyrs and tibetan mastiffs are tied for my absolute favourite breeds that i would never, ever try to own

during the pandemic the price of puppies around here skyrocketed, except for the working breeds. maremma pups still cost $400 when everything else, purebred or not, was $1500 minimum. over the next two years there were a lot of ads along the lines of "six-month-old maremma looking for new forever home, lovely nature, we just don't have time for her! great guard!"

the one thing i never saw, and i am grateful for it, was a maroodle

an egg fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 6, 2022

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
When our dog was first picked up she had a luxating patella. Our vet said it had gone away, but now we just saw a new vet who said it’s definitely a thing. Grade two. Apparently this can eventually lead to disk problems and will eventually require surgery. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with this to hold off surgery as long as possible? Our vet recommended tug play to help her build her back leg muscles even more, and keep her from running around on non-carpeted floors. Our pup is only a year old right now so we’d like for her to have as much fun as she can, but safely.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

That thread was a maremma, which is like pyr traits turned up to an 11. I've got a pyr though. Do you like your dog to completely ignore you unless it's their idea? Do you want it to look like it's snowing inside because there is so much hair? Do you like trimming approximately 4 thousand nails each time they need a nail trim? Do you enjoy barking all night every night? Are you suspicious of your friends and family and want someone to supervise them whenever they visit? Do you like just a lot of drool all over everything? They are very sweet dogs and I love mine a lot but I wouldn't have her if I didn't need her to live with my sheep and protect them.

Oh here's the maremma thread for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090725

Thank you! I don’t mind dogs that are difficult in some ways and shed a lot. I’m in negotiations to adopt a pyr mix from a shelter, hoping that since he’s a mix some of the more pyr traits might be less extreme. I have a friend that has a pyr mix so I’m not going in completely blind :)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Guide to perfect dog:
Step one; acquire dog.
Optional, step two: acquire poodle
Optional, step three: mix.
Optional, step four: add "doodle" to name, sell excess puppies. WARNING! Puppies are also perfect dog, you might have too much dog if you are not careful.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

there's a brigand somewhere around here pumping out bordoodles into the unsuspecting community

the best/worst first cross litter for sale i've seen recently is akita x koolie, but that one i'm guessing (hoping) happened accidentally. luckily i'd just got the cattledog, or i would have been almost tempted. i often wonder where those puppies are now, what they're doing...

an egg fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 7, 2022

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Tibetan Mastidoodle

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Doodluge De Bordeaux

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I think I figured it out, my dog is part bat :drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
So how does one get their pup to play fetch or tug or anything like that?

Ours is great with training, and loves to chase and run around, but we can't seem to get him interested in balls at all or rope tugs. We've tried tossing his plushy toy when he is into it, and he'll run after it and drop it when we call him (but not near us) but even that is fleeting and I think he thinks we are taking it away from him instead of playing.