Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

John Charity Spring posted:

yeah there's a huge impact with even a comparatively small number of cars because they need parking spaces everywhere to be of any use. In my most recent game I tried building with an eye to limited car ownership from the beginning and found that even 100 personal cars (a statistic the game tracks and surfaces pretty prominently) in a population of 15,000 made for a traffic nightmare at previously sufficient junctions. I started having to make multi-laned roads with clearly delineated areas for buses and freight transport and lots of bypasses of particularly clogged areas, it was a mess. Public transport and pedestrian walkways work so much better and with less headache lol
can you just give a handful of cars to bureaucrats who work in the planning ministry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
you can restrict car ownership by a number of criteria, I personally like to restrict them to college-educated citizens with high government loyalty and use them as a means to ensure that the schools, the most important buildings in the republic, remain fully staffed at all times. illiterate citizens can't work, and having elite teams of roving educators that can and will just drive out to any nearby school with a vacancy is pretty drat handy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

you can restrict car ownership by a number of criteria, I personally like to restrict them to college-educated citizens with high government loyalty and use them as a means to ensure that the schools, the most important buildings in the republic, remain fully staffed at all times. illiterate citizens can't work, and having elite teams of roving educators that can and will just drive out to any nearby school with a vacancy is pretty drat handy.
that's pretty cool. rapid-response high-speed teaching squads

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Privileges for essential workers, as it were.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Tankbuster posted:

There's a 4 hour stream on paradox's channel if you want to play hooky at work.

As for strategy games go, a big shout out to the europa barbarorum for Rome 1. The very definition of a labour of love. Even the corny voice acting with bargain bin microphones had it's moments.

there is also europa barbarorum 2 for medieval 2. which adds a lot of factions and other systems (like colonization) but does suffer from the same issues medieval 2 does when it comes to battles

one of the things i really miss from the older total war games is the trade system, watching all those little boats and carts go around is kinda satifying and made it feel more alive, especially when playing kart-hadast

Megamissen has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Aug 31, 2022

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Ok I take it back in still really terrible at Wargame. I just don't know how to respond to like 30 cheap tanks plowing through my line

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cool buy me it

Badactura posted:

Ok I take it back in still really terrible at Wargame. I just don't know how to respond to like 30 cheap tanks plowing through my line

step 1: have tanks with stabilizers
step 2: back away
step 3(actually step zero): have artillery

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

here's the full video to expound on the point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_51_YJQpeg0
Lech Kaczyński, from the right-wing Law and Justice party of Poland "won" a SimCity competition during his mayoral campaign that would eventually catapult him into the presidency

his experience playing sim city brought him up and his experience playing sim copter brought him down

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Stairmaster posted:

cool buy me it

step 1: have tanks with stabilizers
step 2: back away
step 3(actually step zero): have artillery

yes the solution to all problems in wargame is artillerying them until they're dead or if they're armor, are routed

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I remember it was helpful also to have jets with air to ground missiles on call to help blunt any such pushes too. the jets would be pretty safe since they'd fire and then evac before they got over your own lines

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
cluster bombers are probably the better choice for massed armored formations, the anti-tank missiles are for like the 150+ super tanks

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Danann posted:

I wonder how many economic majors have played Sim City and think that's how economies work.

Your taxes are too high *tax rate is set to 0%*

Enough would be my guess. Doesnt help that Sim City was inspired by the first wave of Neoliberal urban planning

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Sep 1, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

skooma512 posted:

In Urbek City Builder, a new game in the city builder space, actively talks poo poo about parking lots and it's kind of a failure state to have them at all. You don't get the late buildings until you have a proper transit system. The devs also put anarchist communes as a buildable and shout out Kropotkin. No building in that game requires a police station...except the Religious Neighborhood. You can get to the end game without ever building a police station at all. In fact you kind of have to because the Religious Neighborhood is a developmental dead end

playing through and discovering that the anarchist commune only produces writers was very funny to me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

cluster bombers are probably the better choice for massed armored formations,

This is a war crime

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

NWS and Matrix Games join forces to launch Rule the Waves III

quote:

The naval sim will hit stores in Q1 2023

Epsom, UK, August 29th, 2022

Matrix Games and Naval Warfare Simulations are partnering to release the upcoming grand fleet management, design and battle simulation Rule the Waves III. This new cooperation between two of the most renowned brands in the wargaming community will bring new life to a franchise recognized as the best-in-genre by thousands of players worldwide.

“We are thrilled to start a new collaboration with NWS,” said Erik Rutins of Matrix Games.“ We strive to give more visibility to key wargaming franchises and make them available to a broader public, and Rule the Waves has always been one of our favorite series in naval wargaming. We look forward to working with NWS to expand its audience and allow more players worldwide to enjoy this title’s depth of gameplay and accuracy”.

NWS is a US-based developer and publisher of both digital and physical naval simulations. The release of Rule the Waves 3 is the first collaboration between Matrix Games and NWS. The game will release on the Matrix Games store, Steam, and other third-party stores by the end of the first quarter of 2023.

The beta testing phase is starting today and interested players can sign up https://www.matrixgames.com/beta/rule-the-waves-3

Rule the Waves III is a simulation of naval ship design and construction, fleet management and naval warfare from 1890 to 1970. and will place you in the role of 'Grand Admiral' of a navy from the time when steam and iron dominated warship design up to the missile age.

Rule the Waves III will let you design and build the ships of your navy, and lead them into battle
when war erupts. You will guide your navy's deployment, construction and operations during a period of great technological innovation and political tensions. While the game derives much of its technology and events from 'actual' history, you will find that you forge your own new history each and every time you play!

Features:

Campaigns start in either 1890, 1900,1920 or 1935 and can run through 1970.
Monthly strategic turns with Battles resolved in a realistic tactical naval battle resolution system.
Manage your naval budget, and deal with interfering Kaisers, presidents or navy ministers as well as a variety of historical events including naval treaties.
Realistic design of ships ranging from corvettes to battleships and aircraft carriers.
Research and technical development will determine ship design and tactics.
Espionage will keep you up to date on the progress of competing navies
Submarines, airships, aircraft and missiles will all appear and change the naval balance of power.
Build, train, maintain and fight with your own 'ideal' navy.
Construct coastal fortifications, airbases and other defenses
Play as USA, Great Britain, Germany, France, Russia, Italy, Japan, Spain, Austria-Hungary, or China.

Rule the Waves III Coming Soon
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/rule-the-waves-3

biggest thing out of this partnership is that rule the waves 3 is now on steam and other digital store fronts

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

biggest thing out of this partnership is that rule the waves 3 is now on steam and other digital store fronts

It happened after Christopher Dean, and I believe his wife, passed away. What a strange two years for wargaming.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Tankbuster posted:

As for strategy games go, a big shout out to the europa barbarorum for Rome 1. The very definition of a labour of love. Even the corny voice acting with bargain bin microphones had it's moments.

this mod fuckin ruled/rules

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-57-the-journey-so-far.1540349/

quote:

One system we thought we'd knocked out of the park on the first attempt was the algorithm for determining which states would rise up against you in case of a revolution. The number would be largely based on the total Political Strength share of the revolting Interest Groups, so if 25% of the Political Strength was against you and your country had eight states, two of them would revolt. Furthermore they would tend to revolt in a cluster, so you wouldn't be fighting on a number of fronts against individual states but as a unified force. The state with the highest proportion of revolutionary Political Strength would be selected as the epicenter, with states neighboring the epicenter likely to follow them.

That worked quite well for large, terrestrial countries like for example France, USA, Brazil, and Russia. But for some reason, every progressive reform in Sweden would result in Gotland - a small sheep-farming island between Sweden and the Baltic states - rising up in lone protest. Can you guess why? The very small population of Gotland consists of only politically apathetic Peasants, and those few Aristocrats who own the land. Therefore, the conservative Landowners held the most dominant position there - relatively speaking - by far. And, in order to be guaranteed more than 1 rebellious state out of Sweden's 5, the Landowners would need to hold 40%+ of the Political Strength. The current algorithm is substantially less elegant but a lot more nuanced, producing results that don't require launching naval invasions against angry shepherds with every social reform you make!

hilariously funny mental image ngl

gotland will rise again

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It will be poo poo for two years but it will probably be a tremendous game as soon as it's "completed".

Assuming the Paradox model goes through

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Megamissen posted:

there is also europa barbarorum 2 for medieval 2. which adds a lot of factions and other systems (like colonization) but does suffer from the same issues medieval 2 does when it comes to battles

one of the things i really miss from the older total war games is the trade system, watching all those little boats and carts go around is kinda satifying and made it feel more alive, especially when playing kart-hadast

medieval 2's scripting is better than rome 1's but man the thing is really not good. The more out there map generation in rome one also led to some amazingly fantastical maps. Play in europe north of the Alps and there's massive old growth trees that your roman legions will get ambushed in and will have to trek all the way back to rome to replenish. Bactria was what led me to understand the historical fiction books that were all the rage in olden days. Greek colonists at the literal edge of the world, building shrines to Zeus-Ahura Mazda and Artemis-Anahita, while blocks of disciplined pikemen fought alongside hard scrabbled afghan tribesmen against white steppe people worshipping a more primitive version of the same gods. Total War can sometimes really put the romantic part in the heart of strategy games.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i liked the gaesatae. dick and balls out for averni

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The Arverni/Aedui had those Neitos swordsmen if you managed to reform and Gallic Knights which were really cool. I liked that the Gaesatae spooked romans by shaking their big dongs.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
I remember shock units in general being pretty strong. But not as strong as dudes with slings.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
My favourite moment in Steel Division 1 was bombing a Tiger so it started to fall back and overrunning it with a lovely open top troop carrier.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/bucephalus424/status/1565445952051335168?s=20&t=P3XuaA6fN_7W7lyNKfRsBA

Mike Davis dunking on us

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yes, a quirk of the unit experience system. Slings had AP but did little to no damage. Also each upgrade increased the damage by 1 so at level 9 you had arquebusiers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dudes absolutely rock

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Tankbuster posted:

Yes, a quirk of the unit experience system. Slings had AP but did little to no damage. Also each upgrade increased the damage by 1 so at level 9 you had arquebusiers.

Ohhhhhh yes. I have vivid memories of micromanaging a couple units of peltasti to annihilate poor fuckers in hilly terrain for hours on end to level them up and then being very precious with them after. Kinda want to reinstall this poo poo now. I wonder if it will still take aaaaaaages for turns after a while in game.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I like DEI but Rome 2 has a lot of problems even in game design (unit mass, formation fighting, units can only be recruited through generals, centralized settlements) that a mod can’t fix.

Attila is better but the player count was never really there and modders (and CA!) stuck with Rome 2.
As I said it’s a shame too because I studied Late Antiquity, waited my whole life for this game, and well, I’ll play it for decades but no one else will.

Paradox and CA, I’ll add Bohemia to this list, are frustrating because they’re great and have the potential to be absolutely brilliant but somehow also make business, game design and product support decisions that are godawful on a semi-regular basis. All three are guilty of putting out games riddled with bugs, jank, and un or even counterintuitive “features”, which coupled with their post-release support is enough to drive you crazy.

Will no one rid me of this turbulent Johan and Warhammer license?!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
three kingdoms was legitimately good and fun. Played it while watching the 3k TV series on youtube and going HAO HAO HAO.

The lua scripting system in all the current TW3 engine games allows for some really cool and sophisticated modelling. You have to preserve your precious heavy cavalry even more because they are all minor aristocracy and you need them to better control a province.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

units being tied to armies, lack of walls on most settlements (and even the walled ones not having to be sieged a turn), and the ai doomstacking from turn one made rome 2 very unfun for me
it made leaving a cost-effective garrison in outlying areas while campaigning elsewhere impossible
before it came out my plan was to have my armies spread out and named after the region they were protecting, but nope had to doomstack myself

shogun 2 handled it very well, it had a nice progression from small armies to full armies and eventually late game doomstacks

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Atilla, while unoptimized, was fantastic.

While a lot of factions were same-ish, there were very unique experiences to be had. Playing as the western roman empire was damage control like i've never seen on another game, Vandals or Allamani went from trying to build a modes kingdom in central europe to going "gently caress it, I'm going to Iberia", the Alans allowed you to feel like a badass nomadic faction until the bigger nomads came after you and the Huns were a genuine guerrila, survival strategy game at first until you got enough strenght to turn into a wrecking ball, although that strength could easily evaporate if you get careless and lose your leader.

And then you had the Sassanids, which according to the game was the peak of civilization, paragons of sanitation and lucrative markets, with effectively no drawbacks. They make a lot of sense when you're playing as the ERE and have to deal with this super strong rival empire, but playing as them was just a calm, smooth western push.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I liked the climate change parts of it.

I didn't like that the AI appeared incapable of engaging with a number of mechanics.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 14:51 on Sep 2, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mans posted:

Atilla, while unoptimized, was fantastic.

While a lot of factions were same-ish, there were very unique experiences to be had. Playing as the western roman empire was damage control like i've never seen on another game, Vandals or Allamani went from trying to build a modes kingdom in central europe to going "gently caress it, I'm going to Iberia", the Alans allowed you to feel like a badass nomadic faction until the bigger nomads came after you and the Huns were a genuine guerrila, survival strategy game at first until you got enough strenght to turn into a wrecking ball, although that strength could easily evaporate if you get careless and lose your leader.

And then you had the Sassanids, which according to the game was the peak of civilization, paragons of sanitation and lucrative markets, with effectively no drawbacks. They make a lot of sense when you're playing as the ERE and have to deal with this super strong rival empire, but playing as them was just a calm, smooth western push.

The Tanukhids, zealous Christian Arabs who explode out of the desert as fierce nomads was pretty cool, and a bit of a historical “what-if?”.

Byzantium and the Arabs in the Fourth Century posits that if the Greeks had been a less racist and snobby when dealing with Arabs, Armenians and other people on the periphery, embraced the universal message of Christianity, they probably could have got Arabia, and I suppose Mohammed, on side and overran the Persian Empire and near-east.

Seeing that happen in the game, or playing as them, a nomadic faction stuck between the Byzantine and Persian Empires, is really cool, and a very different experience than the nomadic factions who start in more sparsely settled regions of the map.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I forgot about that dlc, it was great

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Posting here to read later, but very relevant to the thread

https://twitter.com/eduardo_garcmol/status/1565694314738491392?t=Qlhq1CMqdZdYMv7q4jBygQ&s=19

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Seleukids in Fields of Glory: Empires was quite interesting imo.

More than in any other game I've seen them in. Curious to read what this guy thinks.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1565619838865002500

can one of you people who havent' seen your penis in years tell me what game the opening graphics are from?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The map's EU4, the ships might be Empire:Total War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This rules. I hope the guy keeps at it, what an interesting angle to work from. Those books on history in popular entertainment and memory sell well, it’s a good tack for an academic. I was also told the “X and Philosophy”, like “Veronica Mars and Philosophy” books sell well and are some of the best ways for academics working in philosophy to find an audience for their essays.

There are some people like The Angry Staff Officer who have tried doing this with military science and pop culture but war movies aren’t as big culturally as they were in the 50’s-70’s and I think it would struggle to find a publisher.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Sep 4, 2022