Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

tmfc posted:

lmao i did not know this

In Training posted:

The Pope almost intervened to stop this, which would have prevented from Plutonia ever existing...cool

Lol wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

In Training posted:

The Pope almost intervened to stop this, which would have prevented from Plutonia ever existing...cool

Stupid pope.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

hate that guy

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

In Training posted:

that';s cool

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
that's a cool fact that the guy's life was worthy of such attention i mean the pope can mind his own business

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

that is a metal as gently caress origin story. born by defying the pope

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

finished plutonia. god drat what a game. thats the best set of doom levels ive ever played i think. although some individual ancient aliens maps are probably higher highs, plutonia doesnt have the same level of crushing difficulty, which probably made it more fun to breeze through

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

In Training posted:

finished plutonia. god drat what a game. thats the best set of doom levels ive ever played i think. although some individual ancient aliens maps are probably higher highs, plutonia doesnt have the same level of crushing difficulty, which probably made it more fun to breeze through

yeah im realizing that (last part) too . I'm up to map 23 or so and have been able to pistol start no save just about everything after only a couple attempts. It's nice after bashing my head against modern wads.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the hardest part of plutonia is playing all the poo poo maps from liek 20 to 30. gently caress you casallis!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

21, 22 and 25 we're some of my faves in the set. Although I didnt like 29 just bc it was boring and 26's layout is really confusing.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i think one of the 20s is not-circle-of-death. that map is cool. a lot of the back half/third of the wad are all sort of long and meandering and sort of bland imo. the worst map in the set is 10 tho iirc, whichever the one where you start with a chain gunner behind you. if you're playing it correctly (pistol start, infinite height actors on) that is :smugbird: even tho its really easy to sequence break and get the ssg by walking thru the window instead of goign thru 75% of the map to get the skull key, the start is pure misery. 5 chaingunners and plinknig at cacos, thank you casalis

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I been using infinite height actors recently and have grown to hate every level with demons in a slime pit below you that bite you for 50% from 200 feet offscreen.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I been using infinite height actors recently and have grown to hate every level with demons in a slime pit below you that bite you for 50% from 200 feet offscreen.

you haven't always had them on? suddenly several map design decisions make sense.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

pog. OmegaPog. SquirttingWholesomePoopingPogWidePepgya

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

you haven't always had them on? suddenly several map design decisions make sense.

eternity and gzdoom have them off by default. which tbh makes sense depending on what your playing. easpecially wish stuff like bridges and Real TM room over room stuff both engines support the infinite actors would make a mess of things.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
infinite height? sheesh! don't actors have enough going for them already?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Squeezy Farm posted:

infinite height? sheesh! don't actors have enough going for them already?

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah some traps I made are not compatible with that poo poo lol. Just jump over the pinkies dude. You have jump enabled right?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i made brutal doom more wholesome by adding quips and japes from Halo Infinite's iconic Weapon character thanks to the poower of gzdoom scripting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

i made brutal doom more wholesome by adding quips and japes from Halo Infinite's iconic Weapon character thanks to the poower of gzdoom scripting

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PLayed some absolutely vile Doom 1 turd maps that were enormous tech base hallways filled with 300 imps and hitscanners that took 30 minutes to beat. there were 9 maps like this and i gave up after 3. Alpha Accident: Terra Incident. avoid at all costs! look at these fuckin layouts! cacowartds my rear end!

rolled a new WAD and got Kuchitsu which is way way better...cute nauticul themed set by a russian mapper thats pretty easy but skimpy on health items so the tension is deece and the level design is really pleasantly circular and tight. good poo poo russian guy from 2013 you saved my friday.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

those maps look kewl 2 me. wandering around fighting mid tier doom 1 enemies is a pain tho w/o a healing does of rockets and plasma however

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

theyre all hallways, nothing really links together nicely and you cant really explore anything, sadly.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i found the fun

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Lol oh no

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

O_O

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kinda bouncing around stuff rn. picked back up Alpha Accident bc if i just play one level at a time its actually kinda chill to explore a huge level, i think i just got sick of the style after too long. played some single maps that were fun, gave up on 5till L1 Complex bc after 30 minutes of being lost in a gray city level i hit my limit. i had downloaded Counter Attack but i think its for slaughter Gods bc MAP01 had over a 1000 enemies and i was getting thoroughly owned.

then i started playing Lunatic and its got fuggin tight rear end design, checked out the readme and bam. its vintage Skillsaw circa 2011. can highly recommedn, a little 5 map set set on the Moon.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I beat plutonia and the last few maps stunk. Hate the icon of sin.. Then I went back , refreshed, to speed of doom a nd finished a few more of those. 11-13 I think.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Speed of Doom has IMO the best MAP30 implementation that I've ever seen

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

icon of sin is an all timer in the hallowed legacies of turd fps bosses

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Is it worse than the dragon in Quake mission pack 2.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

icon of sin is boring and no one would remember it if it didnt have john romero's severed head inside it

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Wormskull posted:

Is it worse than the dragon in Quake mission pack 2.
I would personally say no

I completed Dissolution of Time recently, and despite all the bullshit fireballs and earthquakes over lava pits in the final arena, at least you can kill the dragon by shooting it enough

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Icon of sin would be fine if like, getting to the perch was part of the level and then you blasted it in a satisfying but simple way. The wall of explosions is really satisfying. It's mystifying how many people incorporate the slowly moving pillar with timed rocket shots...why.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

As much as I think SgtMarkIV is a racist, entitled, overly-dramatic piece of poo poo who should rightfully be cast aside, he had the right idea in making the Icon in his Brutal Doom MAP30 a bullet-sponge boss that alternated between spawning monsters and chucking fireball volleys at the player

Although, having a boss with 40K HP (Cyberdemons have 4K HP, for context) that soaks up that much punishment arguably isn't much fun to fight anyway

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Drinkslinger posted:

As much as I think SgtMarkIV is a racist, entitled, overly-dramatic piece of poo poo who should rightfully be cast aside, he had the right idea in making the Icon in his Brutal Doom MAP30 a bullet-sponge boss that alternated between spawning monsters and chucking fireball volleys at the player

Although, having a boss with 40K HP (Cyberdemons have 4K HP, for context) that soaks up that much punishment arguably isn't much fun to fight anyway

that somehow sounds worse

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shooting 10 Cyberdemons that can't move or shoot back sounds loving awesome. No surprise that the genius behind Brutal Doom produced that gem.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the little green cybies that I think Ribbiks made? Or at least uses in most of their maps that have like mancubi ish health but all the lethality of the cyberdemon rocket launcher barrage. They're cool

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

some wad creators have made it where if you try to load their levels with brutal doom it crashes the game lol it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

some wad creators have made it where if you try to load their levels with brutal doom it crashes the game lol it owns

good