Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

haveblue posted:

Yeah one solution might be to have the delivery people pick up the old bags and return them to the store, but lol if you think instacart is going to pay them extra for this. You'd also need a different solution for drop-off deliveries made without interacting with the occupant

We have a curbside compost service that does exactly this when you request a compost delivery. They drop it off in these giant bags, and then the next time they're round, they take empty bags back. It's not hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cranappleberry posted:

pushing recycling of product containers onto the end-user is bullshit but there should be a massive, subsidized recycling apparatus for all types of plastic, glass, paper, metal and etc that are recyclable of all varieties and shapes.

Many places don't have infrastructure to recycle oddly shaped glass bottles or different colors of glass, nor most plastics (which is why there aren't multiple segregated containers to sort them). Some recycling companies won't even bother to tell their customers this and end up throwing most of it into the trash. Welcome to America. USA USA

Of all of them, plastic is the biggest bullshit.

Paper can be recycled pretty well. Glass and Aluminum cans are great for recycling, since they don't even really have to be clean, they're going to be melted down at thousands of degrees. Aluminum in particular is cheaper to make from recycled cans than bauxite.

Plastic is recycled at about 5% in the US. Basically nothing. It's almost all going in the trash.

Though it should be noted that plastic production is about 1% of all the petroleum greenhouse emissions.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

slurm posted:

Is this because of our hideously inefficient land use?

Maybe, but Canada and Australia are less population dense.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I mean I assume this was one or two bags at a time. And that they'd reuse the bags themselves on their next delivery.

But your point still stands and it shouldn't be on them to solve it. I'm just sort of thinking out loud.

It's not a fundamentally impossible dilemma, but it's one of those things that exposes the ways in which the gig economy ties itself to the modern trend of sacrificing efficiency for the sake of convenience.

There's plenty of delivery services, even now, that deliver things in reusable containers and then take them back later. But they usually have consistent regular drivers who drive a consistent delivery route at consistent times. That makes it simple: on delivery day, you leave last week's container on your front doorstep, and when the driver drops off this week's container, they pick up last week's container and bring it back to the distribution center to be used for next week's deliveries.

The problem is specific to the freeform nature of the gig economy. Being able to order whatever you want whenever you want through a centralized service and get it in an hour is convenient, sure. But it replaces those consistent regular schedules and centralized distribution centers with an entirely ad-hoc model that makes these kinds of things extremely difficult.

It's similar to the cars vs buses tradeoff, where being able to go whenever you want wherever you want is convenient as hell, but introduces significant side issues like heavy traffic, a much higher motor vehicle fatality rate, much higher overall CO2 emissions, and many other negative externalities.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Of all of them, plastic is the biggest bullshit.

Paper can be recycled pretty well. Glass and Aluminum cans are great for recycling, since they don't even really have to be clean, they're going to be melted down at thousands of degrees. Aluminum in particular is cheaper to make from recycled cans than bauxite.

Plastic is recycled at about 5% in the US. Basically nothing. It's almost all going in the trash.

Though it should be noted that plastic production is about 1% of all the petroleum greenhouse emissions.

Actually they burn a lot of plastic for fuel which is definitely worse than going in the trash

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I know we say that Trump is “actually losing it this time” every time he does this, but this is pretty out there even for him.

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1565357420108455938?s=21&t=-LbzmAm2LjEqmNSr8b4jXw
https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1565356176161873922?s=21&t=-LbzmAm2LjEqmNSr8b4jXw

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Jaxyon posted:

Maybe, but Canada and Australia are less population dense.

That's huge areas of Alaska-like density though, but I just checked and they're also both extremely suburban.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

Actually they burn a lot of plastic for fuel which is definitely worse than going in the trash

They burn about twice as much as is recycled, but far far less than is landfilled.

I agree it's worse than just landfilling it, for sure.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Why would they be looking for Hillary's emails in... she really is just living rent-free in Trump's head isn't she?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah the average doesn't really give you the whole picture.

Somehow we spend a poo poo-ton of money but teachers are treated like poo poo and schools are falling apart.

America.

A large part of it is (like most things in America) about inequality. In the mid 2010's (I have no idea if this has changed or if it is even possible to reasonably calculate at this moment in time given everything that happened to education worldwide during Covid), if you removed the bottom 10% of worst performing schools from the U.S. average on standardized test scores, then the U.S. jumps from the mid-teens globally to #1 globally.

Like most things in the U.S., education performance is incredibly unequal with a large chunk of people who it works out "fine" for, a chunk who do extremely well, and a chunk that are just completely left behind.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A large part of it is (like most things in America) about inequality. In the mid 2010's (I have no idea if this has changed or if it is even possible to reasonably calculate at this moment in time given everything that happened to education worldwide during Covid), if you removed the bottom 10% of worst performing schools from the U.S. average on standardized test scores, then the U.S. jumps from the mid-teens globally to #1 globally.

Like most things in the U.S., education performance is incredibly unequal with a large chunk of people who it works out "fine" for, a chunk who do extremely well, and a chunk that are just completely left behind.

It's a good thing we base funding on the existing income of an area and if schools perform poor we pull further funding.

Seems like a recipe to privatize education for success!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Randalor posted:

Why would they be looking for Hillary's emails in... she really is just living rent-free in Trump's head isn't she?

I think it's more that Trump's brain has a limited number of logic gates, and anything related to conspiracy, corruption, or secrets trips the "her e-mails!" circut.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

To be fair, however, you'd need to apply this same methodology to the other countries so you'd have a good comparison. I think everyone's scores would improve if you removed the bottom 10%; the question is, does the US improve more than the others?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
https://brightly.eco/diy-grow-bags/

They should mandate bags that already include wildflower seeds

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Morrow posted:

To be fair, however, you'd need to apply this same methodology to the other countries so you'd have a good comparison. I think everyone's scores would improve if you removed the bottom 10%; the question is, does the US improve more than the others?

Yeah, if you did it for everyone, then the U.S. still shoots up, but it isn't #1.

The comparison was just to show how divergent the U.S. extremes are. The top 10% of U.S. students outpace the top 10% from every other country by a moderate amount. The bottom 10% do far worse in the U.S. than other places.

So, the U.S. being "above average" in general is kind of misleading because a large chunk of U.S. students are the best in the world, but another chunk are in a league of their own in terms of poor performance that isn't seen anywhere else globally.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

https://brightly.eco/diy-grow-bags/

They should mandate bags that already include wildflower seeds

IDK about NJ but here the 'reusable' bags that the grocery stores sell are made of non-woven polypropylene rather than canvas and are covered in multi-colored printed graphics. Not sure you want people burying them everywhere.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Non degrading fossil fuel based single use plastics should probably just be banned outright or heavily restricted. We did just fine before.

For example there is no reason a dozen apples need a plastic blister pack style case. It doesn't provide meaningfuly better protection than alternatives. Same with eggs. The old cardboard cartons got swapped with foam and paper thin plastic.

I'm almost certain most of these were done to make it less old fashioned seaming or because they stack and ship higher volumes empty.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just the best people

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1565405363176091648

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

I know nothing matters, but isn't this literal quid-pro-quo bribery? Vote for me and I will give you this thing you personally need.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Randalor posted:

Not quite. It's a message directly for his base, because it takes for granted that you hold some positions held only by his deepest supporters.

He's saying that the DoJ thought he had evidence that they'd covered up Hillary's emails to protect her from consequences, and that they raided him to prevent him from exposing the measures they took to try to destroy Trump for Hillary's sake.

You have to believe (or at least understand that his supporters believe) that the DoJ illegally put their thumbs on the scale to keep Hillary Clinton out of office, and that poor helpless President Trump was so oppressed by the deep state that he was barely able to do anything about this at all. That position is what his claims there rely on.

Old James posted:

I know nothing matters, but isn't this literal quid-pro-quo bribery? Vote for me and I will give you this thing you personally need.

Not really, no. "Help me get elected and I'll do things that benefit you" is exactly what politicians are supposed to do.

Of course, promising pardons to people who tried to overthrow the government to get him installed into power is bad for other reasons.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jaxyon posted:

It's a good thing we base funding on the existing income of an area and if schools perform poor we pull further funding.

Seems like a recipe to privatize education for success!

For all the awful things about Texas, we do have a mechanism to transfer funds from wealthy districts to poor ones. at least until governor Dan Patrick abolishes public schools

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

marshmonkey posted:

I know we say that Trump is “actually losing it this time” every time he does this, but this is pretty out there even for him.

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1565357420108455938?s=21&t=-LbzmAm2LjEqmNSr8b4jXw
https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1565356176161873922?s=21&t=-LbzmAm2LjEqmNSr8b4jXw

Why is this losing it?

Trumps going back to the well on poo poo that’s worked for him before. He’s just trying to rile up the true believers again.

All the previous poo poo has just been his usual insecure, disorganized, narcissistic flailing. This sounds like it was planned. He’s trying to intimidate the investigation with the (credible) threat of violence.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
All this midterms talk has finally gotten me to jump through the hoops to renew my expired absentee registration :getin:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

koolkal posted:

On the bright side, Amazon drivers will now be able to poo poo into reusable bags on their trucks while in NJ instead of having to poo poo into thin plastic ones or pooper scoopers.

Flying toilets are making their way to the US now?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

This seems like the first "official" confirmation that remote learning has been a disaster for many kids. The declines were among just about every race, ethnic, geographic, and income demographic, but was worse among low income students and already low performing students.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1565281771603873792

As someone who left a VP slot at a very large video game company to work on educational software for schools in the 2nd half of the 1990’s, I am just blown away at how crappy and completely un-motivating the crap being used by schools is.

It feels like “we have to make this completely un-enjoyable and difficult for students” is the operating principle here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VideoGameVet posted:

As someone who left a VP slot at a very large video game company to work on educational software for schools in the 2nd half of the 1990’s, I am just blown away at how crappy and completely un-motivating the crap being used by schools is.

It feels like “we have to make this completely un-enjoyable and difficult for students” is the operating principle here.

LOL you think anyone involved cares about students?

This is an administrator just getting whatever fills the requirements from a lowest bidder.

Wahhabi Lobby
Nov 3, 2020
Was told to post this here: https://twitter.com/wyattreed13/status/1565110149425123330?s=20&t=SslklZYNRQTyqOL2ImgSrg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

VideoGameVet posted:

"Good school" neighborhoods in the suburbs have been a self-fulfilling prophecy of systemic racism by and for the settler class of America since 1954; anything that would provide a solution will find seething violence where it cannot be passively frustrated.

Distance learning is an alternative, and there can be no alternative.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Cranappleberry posted:

creating non-disposable bags has a higher carbon footprint than thin plastic ones. It may not lead to the same issue with tiny plastic pieces accumulating in the ocean or microplastics in drinking water, but it's still worse.

even sturdy paper bags tend to tear easily quite due to anything with edges or something that's dense/heavy. Food delivery makes sense because the food is light enough, containers tend to be rounded plastic (and can be reused) or styrofoam. Paper bags can also be recycled.

Banning disposable plastic bags is not a full solution and it's fraught with problems of it's own but at least keeping paper bags won't make things worse.

There are compostable bags. Just saying.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Randalor posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I wonder if anyone will think to try funding schools and paying teachers decent wages.

Nope. According to my local WGOP radio station, this only happened in blue states and blue counties. I went into a rage listening to whoever this clown was say this because I live in NE FL in a blood red zip code and know for a fact that he was lying because my son's teachers are telling us this and it's effected every kid.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

LOL you think anyone involved cares about students?

This is an administrator just getting whatever fills the requirements from a lowest bidder.

The company I was at was The Lightspan Partnership.. A huge effort that was originally focused on TV Settop boxes since the theory in 1994 was that these would be network devices capable of running decent apps with embedded video. When the Time-Warner Orlando project failed, something about a SGI $5000 settop being a bit pricy and Apple abandoned their partnership to build one for British Telecom I was tasked to find a platform that could do video and run decent entertaining educational games.

In one of the few smart picks of my life I picked the new Sony PlayStation and we became the publisher with more SKU’s than anyone else.

Yeah, they were kinda lame by PS1 standards, but they were focused on K-6 students and they were good at conveying math and language concepts. And it was the 1990’s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8xF4C_Dh88

Not that I would do this today. Stuff like Dragon Algebra and Minecraft is vastly superior, but hey … at least we made the effort to go beyond drill and kill.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Biden doesn't seem to be holding back in this speech.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kammat posted:

Well it's about loving time. I wish he didn't wait until "holy poo poo the mid terms are coming up" to actually do it though. He was Obama's VP for 8 loving years and should know full well better than anybody that trying to work with the modern iteration of GOP is a god damned waste of time

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Kammat posted:

He all but called out Graham by name for stoking political violence.

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BiggerBoat posted:

Well it's about loving time. I wish he didn't wait until "holy poo poo the mid terms are coming up" to actually do it though. He was Obama's VP for 8 loving years and should know full well better than anybody that trying to work with the modern iteration of GOP is a god damned waste of time

Why did you expect this from Biden, when he was giving speeches to support a Republican candidate for Congress as recently as 2018 (two years into Trump's Presidency no less)?

quote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/01/23/us/politics/biden-speech-fred-upton.amp.html

Joseph R. Biden Jr. swept into Benton Harbor, Mich., three weeks before the November elections, in the midst of his quest to reclaim the Midwest for Democrats. He took the stage at Lake Michigan College as Representative Fred Upton, a long-serving Republican from the area, faced the toughest race of his career.

But Mr. Biden was not there to denounce Mr. Upton. Instead, he was collecting $200,000 from the Economic Club of Southwestern Michigan to address a Republican-leaning audience, according to a speaking contract obtained by The New York Times and interviews with organizers. The group, a business-minded civic organization, is supported in part by an Upton family foundation.

Mr. Biden stunned Democrats and elated Republicans by praising Mr. Upton while the lawmaker looked on from the audience. Alluding to Mr. Upton’s support for a landmark medical-research law, Mr. Biden called him a champion in the fight against cancer — and “one of the finest guys I’ve ever worked with.”

Mr. Biden’s remarks, coming amid a wide-ranging discourse on American politics, quickly appeared in Republican advertising. The local Democratic Party pleaded with Mr. Biden to repair what it saw as a damaging error, to no avail. On Nov. 6, Mr. Upton defeated his Democratic challenger by four and a half percentage points.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I prefer this pissed off Biden.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crymetimeboys posted:

Why did you expect this from Biden, when he was giving speeches to support a Republican candidate for Congress as recently as 2018 (two years into Trump's Presidency no less)?

I didn't expect it at all. I said it was a shame he didn't do it sooner and was also disappointed when he campaigned on reaching across the aisle. I reluctantly voted for him anyway because Trump.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
It wasn't a perfect speech, but one that was sorely needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kammat posted:

Zero mention of what he's going to do. Lots of bloviating about MAGA republicans being a threat to democracy, but never said what he's going to do to stop that threat.

Also he was green most of the time :lmao: