Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

LanceHunter posted:

The whole phenomenon of "travel teams" is slowly killing youth sports, and wasting a ton of money from hopeful yuppie parents. So who is to say if it is actually good or not?

As far as a track coach for a kid, I definitely know how a good running coach can improve your form to make you both faster, more efficient, and less likely to get injured. However, I cannot imagine the 6 year old who would have the body awareness or kinesiological aptitude to be able to effectively utilize any such coaching. I guess if you just want to make sure you kid gets in a certain amount of running/exercise each week, this is one (horribly expensive) way to do it.

Wow. I had no idea that hiring coaches and travel teams were so popular in youth sports now. I knew they were a thing, but not as prevalent as the article seems to say. I guess my office isn't that weird of an outlier (but, it still has to be somewhat of an outlier, because I refuse to believe that $10k tumbling coaches are that common).

One of the things the author points out is that parents do it a lot for football, basketball, or baseball in the hopes of developing their kids into star players for money.

I don't know how that can apply to my boss and tumbling, though. There is apparently a huge enough market for tumbling coaches for 6-year olds to sustain them and multiple championships per year. But, I don't think anyone really believes that they $10k+ they are spending on coaching and gym membership is going to pay off into a 6-figure tumbling career. Track is more of a "real sport," but I doubt that there are very many track stars raking in income even close to what they paid for children's' training; let alone comparable to football or basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

LanceHunter posted:

The whole phenomenon of "travel teams" is slowly killing youth sports, and wasting a ton of money from hopeful yuppie parents. So who is to say if it is actually good or not?

As far as a track coach for a kid, I definitely know how a good running coach can improve your form to make you both faster, more efficient, and less likely to get injured. However, I cannot imagine the 6 year old who would have the body awareness or kinesiological aptitude to be able to effectively utilize any such coaching. I guess if you just want to make sure you kid gets in a certain amount of running/exercise each week, this is one (horribly expensive) way to do it.

I first learned of travel team sports recently at some business meeting with someone established IT professionals, one the participants described his son's involvement. It's funny, at the time I was thinking "great, trave further so more players can play each other." Like, to me it was just a wider possible geographic area for matching up teams. Guess it's bad actually!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

Capitalism: not even once.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I first learned of travel team sports recently at some business meeting with someone established IT professionals, one the participants described his son's involvement. It's funny, at the time I was thinking "great, trave further so more players can play each other." Like, to me it was just a wider possible geographic area for matching up teams. Guess it's bad actually!

It used to be a way for the best kids in town to play the best kids in the surrounding towns instead of just playing in your park district league or whatever. Now, there's enough travel teams that practically anyone with money can get on one. They also go and recruit kids and their parents to join up because people have turned it into a full-on business that must be fed. It's BWM for 99% of families, and is also a good way to have your kid burn out at an early age. It's also increasing sports injuries in kids! It's just great all around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the trick is to get your kid good at some lovely white people sport so they can get in to a NESCAC school

like get them sick nasty at squash or something where the competition is limited

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the trick is to get your kid good at some lovely white people sport so they can get in to a NESCAC school

like get them sick nasty at squash or something where the competition is limited

Just stay the gently caress away from anything equestrian.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Please do not give away my plan TIA.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just have them learn the harp, ain't nobody knows harp. I actually had a kid do this to get into the Ivy she wanted.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Cyrano4747 posted:

College equestrian is cutthroat because it’s a super small world and your horse applies separately

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jack B Nimble posted:

HBO/Bryant Gumbel did a good segment on the youth travel sports industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATwFkYpVys

I have nieces in travel soccer right now. It's loving hell. One weekend they're in Jackson MS for a tournament, the next weekend they could be in Mobile, AL or Houston, TX (these folks live outside Baton Rouge). It's not crazy expensive, but it's like 3 thousand dollars plus all the travel expenses per kid.

My wife has a co-worker with a son who plays travel hockey. We live in the San Antonio, TX area. TRAVEL HOCKEY IN SOUTH TEXAS.

moana posted:

Just have them learn the harp, ain't nobody knows harp. I actually had a kid do this to get into the Ivy she wanted.

This is legit genius.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

I remember distinctly in university hearing the stories of the entitled rich person hotel trashing and general scummery the equestrian society would get up to which ended up getting the group suspended

Anyone I ever met who was involved with it definitely corroborated that reputation

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Upgrade posted:

College equestrian is cutthroat because it’s a super small world and your horse applies separately

If it wasn't for me, my horse wouldn't have spent that year in college?

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

moana posted:

A decent harp is like $20,000. Also you have to buy a minivan to move the harp around in.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Professional squash has been sewn up by Pakistan and now Egypt for pretty much the last 20 years. Any US squash program is probably already completely over subscribed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lacrosse in the midwest or west.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

withak posted:

Lacrosse in the midwest or west.

A former Big 10 lacrosse player just made the roster on an NFL team, so it's even possible to make bank beyond college.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Hockey is the ticket for girls. I read somewhere we that some 10% of female high school hockey players end up playing women's hockey in college someplace. Far and away more than any other scholarship sport.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Hutla posted:

A decent harp is like $20,000. Also you have to buy a minivan to move the harp around in.
I mean, $20k for a harp or for travel lacrosse or a set of women's golf clubs. Cheaper than donating a library or whatever else people do to get into Yale.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I assumed that was what the "athletic wear" was. I'm confused because she said a uniform and athletic wear.

Presumably the uniform is for competitions, the athletic wear is for training. But wtf kind of track training (which is much more impact heavy than tumbling or Horse Sports(tm)) a kid that young can withstand without incurring long term injuries.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CancerCakes posted:

Professional squash has been sewn up by Pakistan and now Egypt for pretty much the last 20 years. Any US squash program is probably already completely over subscribed.

collegiate, nobody goes pro in any of the weird white people sports, its just to get in to a good private northeast school. at least a decade ago the squash team at my alma mater was both quite good and still very white

moana posted:

you don't wanna do the harp. the repertoire sucks, and guess whos moving the harp around? its you. its like a smaller piano that you have to take everywhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sparkmaster posted:

Hockey is the ticket for girls. I read somewhere we that some 10% of female high school hockey players end up playing women's hockey in college someplace. Far and away more than any other scholarship sport.

yea this is my plan in all honesty

the boys can kick rocks or get good at math or whatever the gently caress. they'll be too short to row and too fat to sail.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Please do not give away my plan TIA.

fellow nescac alum spotted

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Upgrade posted:

Poor Freckles, though of grants and applied.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yea this is my plan in all honesty

the boys can kick rocks or get good at math or whatever the gently caress. they'll be too short to row and too fat to sail.

Rowing is still great for girls though. There's a ton of money for women's teams due to Title IX. Men's rowing has slowly been getting gutted across the country sadly, and these days you're competing with international olympians for recruiting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

fellow nescac alum spotted

Close, but not exactly.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

sparkmaster posted:

Yeah but like 90% of collegiate women's hockey players played HS hockey in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, or New England, and a lot of the elite universities don't have a women's hockey team to give scholarships for.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

moana posted:

I mean, $20k for a harp or for travel lacrosse or a set of women's golf clubs. Cheaper than donating a library or whatever else people do to get into Yale.

$20k for a professional musical instrument isn't that expensive, especially if it doesn't really depreciate (if you buy it used in the first place).

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hutla posted:

May I recommend the bassoon instead? Much smaller, but just as unpopular.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mantle posted:

$20k for a professional musical instrument isn't that expensive, especially if it doesn't really depreciate (if you buy it used in the first place).

My high school friend who is a harpist and PhD anthropologist assures me that there is enough demand for one harpist in every 500 mile radius across the United States; survey your environment appropriately.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

collegiate, nobody goes pro in any of the weird white people sports, its just to get in to a good private northeast school. at least a decade ago the squash team at my alma mater was both quite good and still very white

you don't wanna do the harp. the repertoire sucks, and guess whos moving the harp around? its you. its like a smaller piano that you have to take everywhere.

Obviously best would be the musical saw. Nobody is going to gently caress with someone whose musical instrument consists of a plausible weapon. This or find a way to master musical guns. It can be a new American sport, readily available. I'm not sure what you would shoot for the musical portion (cans? minorities?) as everyone would be deaf/dead a measure in, but hey. As good an idea as crypto.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TheMadMilkman posted:

May I recommend the bassoon instead? Much smaller, but just as unpopular.

Viola is the way to go, though, because most orchestras only need like one or two bassoons or harps, but a full viola section

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Obviously best would be the musical saw. Nobody is going to gently caress with someone whose musical instrument consists of a plausible weapon. This or find a way to master musical guns. It can be a new American sport, readily available. I'm not sure what you would shoot for the musical portion (cans? minorities?) as everyone would be deaf/dead a measure in, but hey. As good an idea as crypto.

Saw a band with a dude playing a saw a while back. He seemed chill. Almost too chill for a dude that constantly carried a weapon.

silvergoose posted:

Viola is the way to go, though, because most orchestras only need like one or two bassoons or harps, but a full viola section

Viola if you want the kid to have an easy ride while running through youth orchestras, bass if you want them to get rhythm and soul while doing it. But be wary about Jazz bands.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

notwithoutmyanus posted:

This or find a way to master musical guns. It can be a new American sport, readily available. I'm not sure what you would shoot for the musical portion (cans? minorities?) as everyone would be deaf/dead a measure in, but hey. As good an idea as crypto.

As with the space race, the Russians beat us to the first punch, but I'm sure we can go bigger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOtf5zDZc5s

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

moana posted:

Legit think some of my high school band mates 20 years ago who played bassoon or oboe had parents thinking about things the same way

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cyrano4747 posted:

I have not one, but two students who leave school early on Tuesdays and Fridays for dressage training. One spent 3 months in Europe last spring instead of being in school here.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’d love for my kids to have a shot at playing D1 tennis, but that’s a saturated talent pool and if I can’t afford payments for a mid-tier country club in my city then I sure as hell can’t keep up with the cost of private lessons, leagues, and summer academies.

I’ll just hope they get their mother’s smarts and work ethic and my luck to get scholarships off doing well on the practice SAT.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't know how that can apply to my boss and tumbling, though. There is apparently a huge enough market for tumbling coaches for 6-year olds to sustain them and multiple championships per year. But, I don't think anyone really believes that they $10k+ they are spending on coaching and gym membership is going to pay off into a 6-figure tumbling career. Track is more of a "real sport," but I doubt that there are very many track stars raking in income even close to what they paid for children's' training; let alone comparable to football or basketball.
Watch Cheer on Netflix. It's pretty appalling/depressing but everyone involved is so brainwashed they don't realize it

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Cassius Belli posted:

As with the space race, the Russians beat us to the first punch, but I'm sure we can go bigger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOtf5zDZc5s

Musical m16's is obviously the American way. Could even be a great band title.

Just imagine this going down with crypto:

NFT Promo: come see the m16's, a b52's cover band! Live at Alpine!!

Audience: woo!

Kids surprise Martin Shkreli: comes on stage with actual m16's:

:stonk:

gently caress this is unfortunately plausible and now depressing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Anne Whateley posted:

Watch Cheer on Netflix. It's pretty appalling/depressing but everyone involved is so brainwashed they don't realize it

I'll have to take a look. Are they brainwashed in terms of thinking the kids are going to be making 6 figures from cheerleading or just in terms of how committed they are to making their kids do it?

My boss has mentioned this show before. She also has a hatred equal to a thousand suns of anyone who refers to "tumbling" and "cheerleading" or "gymnastics."

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Sometimes I doubt this thread's commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Beaten, in 1812.

https://youtu.be/VbxgYlcNxE8