Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

That’s too bad. I will still watch that poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Don Cheadle is a tiny man

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I watched the first episode of GoT II and I stand by my opinion that the tournament in this show wasn't as exciting or compelling as the jousting from A Knight's Tale

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Didn't a Knight's tale have a song by Queen?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Didn't a Knight's tale have a song by Queen?

A Knight's Tale has many charming anachronisms, it's kind of it's gimmick

And yes, it opens with We Will Rock You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr9roMoMT1Y

Absolutely fantastic movie and the gold standard of cinematic jousting

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Breaking Bad Cinematic Universe hasn't necessarily ruined all other TV for me, but drat it makes you realize how blandly most TV is shot. Like drat, HOT D had hundreds of millions of dollars behind it and all the dialogue is Cinematography 101 A-B shots.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You know what other cool movie had a song by queen? Highlander.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Tankbuster posted:

You know what other cool movie had songs by queen? Highlander.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
lol that WB is mad about the Snyder Cut because it set the bar too high for them

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WampaLord posted:

A Knight's Tale has many charming anachronisms, it's kind of it's gimmick

And yes, it opens with We Will Rock You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr9roMoMT1Y

Absolutely fantastic movie and the gold standard of cinematic jousting

I read a bit about this in a book on history film. The director explained that orchestral scores as we know them would be just as anachronistic for the middle ages, I believe most instruments we’re familiar with had not been invented yet, and that rock music better let contemporary audiences understand how people would have felt about the popular sports and pro athletes of their day. It was pretty interesting, the production team researched the historical music and instrumentation of the period, they had considered it, but “hey nonny nonny” music sounds incredibly alien to modern audiences and they felt it would take them out of the movie. They had the same approach to most of the production design and dialogue, it was really interesting. I suppose you could say after doing the research they felt for the movie to have a wide release they had to appeal to emotional, rather than historical, truth.

Similarly for Troy, they had the foremost expert on the Late Bronze Age Aegean, iirc a curator at the British Museum, a Homeric scholar, several other historians, consulting on the film and production design and they felt that depicting the period accurately would be alien-to-incomprehensible to audiences. They still tried to move away from the aesthetic of Classical Greece, no fluted columns, I think no hoplons or Corinthian helms, but had to for instance have coins placed on the eyes of the deceased and monumental statues of the gods in a temple, when they knew that was inaccurate. Apparently they agonized over how to depict Thetis, so shot her scene in a way that’s ambiguous, you can see her as a woman walking by the seaside, or as a sea nymph.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_URv1O1zlEw

Similarly, of course, there’s the death of Achilles, where they wanted audiences to understand how the arrow remaining in his heel could take on greater and greater significance in each retelling of the story

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H4CCmPXgeSo

I totally forgot that Aeneas and his father are in the film too. There was thought and care put into this movie, but I think they were wary of turning people away. Osprey had a series of books on myth where one illustration would be as good a historical recreation of the event as they could come up with, for instance Saint George and the dragon is a late Roman cavalryman confronting a crocodile, and their recreation of the Trojan War is not so different from the costumes chosen for the film, they just exaggerated them and made them more familiar and cinematic.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Sep 2, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lotr looks pretty drat good

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I read a bit about this in a book on history film. The director explained that orchestral scores as we know them would be just as anachronistic for the middle ages, I believe most instruments we’re familiar with had not been invented yet, and that rock music better let contemporary audiences understand how people would have felt about the popular sports and pro athletes of their day. It was pretty interesting, the production team researched the historical music and instrumentation of the period, they had considered it, but “hey nonny nonny” music sounds incredibly alien to modern audiences and they felt it would take them out of the movie. They had the same approach to most of the production design and dialogue, it was really interesting. I suppose you could say after doing the research they felt for the movie to have a wide release they had to appeal to emotional, rather than historical, truth.

He realized that jousting is an older permutation of modern sports and so he turned it into a stadium, along with their own Jock Jams Vol 1. Fantastic choice.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

i say swears online posted:

lotr looks pretty drat good

One of my friends saw it and thought it sucked because the pace was so fast for just a couple episodes. Absolutely sounds like they're trying to empty of bag of shiny rocks to attract viewers instead of letting them soak in the scene.

This thing is apparently planned for 5 seasons. It could get better but first impression sounds awful.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They should finish The Expanse instead.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i've noticed that kino lorber is posting lots of dope movies/documentaries on their youtube channel. this documentary from 1984 about the cold war is like a proto-adam curtis flick without the annoying british then something happened voiceovers. just raw newsreels, clips, clever editing and music (lots of commie-hating jams in the portion I've watched)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9xQTJ-kbUk

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/TIME/status/1565173350237872129

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Tankbuster posted:

nah, female dorfs are supposed to have beards. Bezos could just have made a warhammer fantasy series.

this would've been way more epic bacon

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
The funniest thing to come out of Amazon Lord of the Rings would be Musk getting the ego to make his own movie or TV show.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
what's the most 2004 epic bacon IP he could buy

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
monty python reboot

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

they already did a napoleon dynamite show like 10 years ago unfortunately

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

half life

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

He realized that jousting is an older permutation of modern sports and so he turned it into a stadium, along with their own Jock Jams Vol 1. Fantastic choice.

Also, let's face it, if you take a time machine to a sports event pretty much anywhere on the planet whenever there's something recognisable as sports, and start doing the stomps and claps during the warm-up, you'll probably have the entire audience doing it within 5 minutes.

Kinda like what Baz Lurhmann does with historicals, like Great Gatsby and Elvis; period music has entirely different associations for modern audiences than it does for the people at the time, so it's going to look weird when what's presented as wild party music sounds like something your grandma would put on to sleep.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

eyyyy, i'm makin sense of this cultural movement here

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The new game of thrones is just people reeling off expository monologues to eachother describing how stuff that wasn't shown is really important.

It seems short sighted to speed through the content like that since this is the only prequel story that's at all fleshed out and it's only gonna get worse once it's over.

Plus it still has the stupid sexposition scenes except theyr starring Matt Smith one of the most unappealing dudes of the modern era

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, let's face it, if you take a time machine to a sports event pretty much anywhere on the planet whenever there's something recognisable as sports, and start doing the stomps and claps during the warm-up, you'll probably have the entire audience doing it within 5 minutes.

Kinda like what Baz Lurhmann does with historicals, like Great Gatsby and Elvis; period music has entirely different associations for modern audiences than it does for the people at the time, so it's going to look weird when what's presented as wild party music sounds like something your grandma would put on to sleep.

So many people hate luhrmann for his musical choices and crazy edits. And meanwhile, here I was jaws on the floor whenever Austin Butler's Elvis was performing. Absolute magnetic editing. Went back and saw Moulin Rouge! and its a bollywood movie compressed into half the time and with the same amount of songs.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

GabeN isn't selling.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Tankbuster posted:

So many people hate luhrmann for his musical choices and crazy edits. And meanwhile, here I was jaws on the floor whenever Austin Butler's Elvis was performing. Absolute magnetic editing. Went back and saw Moulin Rouge! and its a bollywood movie compressed into half the time and with the same amount of songs.

Romeo + Juliet was dope

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Cuttlefush posted:

Romeo + Juliet was dope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEzskNtFnIY

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Think about that scene and the shotgun labeled longsword often.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
actual cannibal Hammer family

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It feels cheap to say that movie has Tarantino vibes but it absolutely does. Then again I think Baz Lurhamm and Tarantino definitely both love colours and camp, almost uniquely in modern Hollywood. ...that and that particular scene is pretty much Tarantino's thing of a tense standoff with rapidly oscillating tension and the characters being both eager and terrified thugs.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Baz Lurhamm's style is super loving irritating and Romeo + Juliet was corny rear end dumb poo poo

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Good soup! posted:

Baz Lurhamm's style is super loving irritating and Romeo + Juliet was corny rear end dumb poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good soup! posted:

I saw it in 9th grade english and the scene posted above had me fixated, also mercutio's death. haven't seen it or moulin rouge since high school

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

they showed us Romeo + Juliet in school unedited. fun day

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

they showed us Romeo + Juliet in school unedited. fun day

yeah and the unedited 60s version

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

on the one hand there were titties in 60s R&J

on the other hand there was a song that lasted like five entire minutes and wasn't even in the text

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Me watching the first hour of Elvis: whoa people weren't kidding when they said the editing in this was nauseating
Me watching the last hour of Elvis: the Genius Baz has put us on the same whirlwind journey Elvis was caught in. America exploits its young artists with fantasies of luxury until they're a husk of their former selves, then tosses them aside like garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ian McKellen as Richard III pissing at a urinal while monologuing

Macbeth movie directed by Roman Polanski and funded by Playboy Enterprises

grade 9 English was wild