Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

tsob posted:

I'm also not sure there's any contradiction here, because it's quite possible she just...got a better handle on it once she was made aware that surprise could cause her to transform.

To add to this, it's intentional. The whole point is Jen is being victimized and then realizes she actually has the upper hand. It's why the episode ends with Jen staring at her own She Hulk reflection, she truly can't go back to "normal" and being a Hulk is now part of who she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ShoogaSlim posted:

i know and have met some pretty vapid people in my life, but the male lawyer who thinks he was dating MTS feels to me like a pretty impossible representation of a dudebro. i'm not disputing the youtube stuff, i know that poo poo is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNnj2lLTojE

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ShoogaSlim posted:

abomination: i assume this plot has to be fast-tracked to get it out of the way, but it all feels too convenient. and also, don't we all agree that it's probably gonna blow up in she-hulks face toward the end? do we all really believe he's not actually covering up his secret still-present diabolical motivations? otherwise, what's the conflict? honestly that question can be used to summarize my whole critique of the show. there's no conflict or consequence to anything at all.

The conflict is "can she win this case when Abomination himself keeps tanking it in stupid ways?". Him having changed isn't convenient, and his changes end up being quite inconvenient for her at a few points since he's so blase about transforming at will that he scares the piss out of the entire prison, for instance. Beyond that, the show spent 2 episodes showing that he'd changed; including several prison staff talking about how he'd been a good inmate for the long term and not just recently. How is that "too convenient"? It's a lawyer show, there are no huge world altering stakes. At least yet, hopefully not at all. At least in this season. It doesn't need to be more than that, at least within this episode. Maybe he fucks up his parole, or maybe he comes back as an unlikely ally when there is some kind of big fight later in the season risking his parole to help Jen after she got him out. Who knows; could go either way. There's conflict in the episode regardless.

ShoogaSlim posted:

drunk hulk physics: tbh, i don't really give that much of a poo poo. it's just a silly inclusion in a silly show but the fact that it was setup in one episode and used to pay off a "joke" in the next is just... idk not funny (to me). i can easily let that go in isolation.

The payoff is Jen having a hangover the next morning as a human. Which is only a minute or so later in the same episode. The second episode just referenced it for another joke, because why not?

ShoogaSlim posted:

random auto-hulking out: you're saying it's "quite possible" but the show doesn't hint at it or even flat out tell us what changed between the two instances i brought up. she was startled enough to auto-hulk by the airhorn and scared enough to auto-hulk when walls of spinning blades were closing in on her. but she wasn't phased enough whatsoever to auto-hulk in the latest episode. even if we just assume she has 100% autonomy over her powers now, this still negates the gravity of the explanation provided in episode 1. again, no consequences or conflict of any kind to really cling to. more twerking!

I'm pretty sure she chose to Hulk out to stop the blades, rather than it being an uncontrolled reaction. She was aware she could do it by choice a few minutes later, and the two previous times definitely weren't by choice going off dialogue; so that implies the experimental one was. Which lends credence to the idea she was learning to control it, since she transformed without thinking about it in reaction to being harassed by the men in episode 1, then was shocked that she was in control when she transformed in the lab later i.e. she's taking control of it. Not perfect control, since the bed thing happens later, but she's learning regardless, and the instance this episode even bears similarities to her transformation in the first episode outside the bar.

This just feels like you're picking at minor things in the show, cinemasins style, to try and justify your dislike of it rather than just being content with "it's not for me", as you stated earlier.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 2, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arist posted:

The inhibitor doesn't work on Hulks, but does work on Abomination because he's a weird mixture of Hulk and super soldier serum. There, I solved it.

We actually don't know whether it works on Hulks or not because I don't think any Hulks have had one put on them. Actually one might well work because Bruce had the one that worked on him.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the show needs to be more subtle, but also explain every detail of every facet of everything to me and also it needs to explain who Megan Thee Stallion is

pretend I said this but in a huge post punctuated by loud, boisterous farting

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for the new X-Men series: Disney's Marvel's X-Persons: Mutants are a Thinly Disguised Metaphor for Minorites

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
oh and some of the jokes didn't land for me specifically BRRRT, I thought you all needed to know that TOOT just absolutely gotta share these spicy PBBLT takes with everyone

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Surprised at the mixed reaction, that was my favorite episode of the series yet. Enjoyed it a lot, and while the first few episodes felt like they were still doing a lot of setup, it feels like the show has really settled out here and I like the tone it's landed on. Also that YouTuber bit is going to make some people mad. :lol:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
MCU TV: The mixed reaction is coming from inside the episode

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Everyone posted:

As I said in a other thread, I want more Emil because Tim Roth is kind of awesome and we all know that Emil's cult/harem is going to go spectacularly wrong (he causes the creation of seven Aboministas due to "fluid transfer") and I want to see that.

One of his girlfriends brings her three show poodles who turn out to hate men and immediately bite Emil

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Surprised at the mixed reaction, that was my favorite episode of the series yet. Enjoyed it a lot, and while the first few episodes felt like they were still doing a lot of setup, it feels like the show has really settled out here and I like the tone it's landed on. Also that YouTuber bit is going to make some people mad. :lol:

:same: that this was my favorite episode yet.

Even if you haven't heard a Megan Thee Stallion song or know who she is, the episode did a fine job of establishing she's a bfd by how Pug and Jen emphasize her name.

Also, more Wong and more Mallory Book, please and thanks.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

tsob posted:

This just feels like you're picking at minor things in the show, cinemasins style, to try and justify your dislike of it rather than just being content with "it's not for me", as you stated earlier.

with enough motivation and enthusiasm, you can explain away anything the show does to seemingly contradict itself. it works with any show or movie, marvel or not. i appreciate that you are engaging with me on the arguments i presented, but we'll have to agree to disagree. the way the show presents its rules to me feels inconsistent and... lazy idk. if it works for you, that's great. truly.

you mentioned there being conflict about whether jen will win the abomination case or whatever. to me, it was never in question bc of course the protagonist is going to pull it off. despite the fact that abomination is tanking it for her (abomination, btw, is apparently so in touch with his own and other people's emotions that he's an upstanding member of society but somehow doesn't realize that unexpectedly and without warning transforming into a huge monster is going to cause people stress and fear and maybe work against him??).

call it nitpicking or looking for something to dislike, but this stuff all just looks clear as day to me as flaws with the narrative, world-building, and immersion. i'll continue watching bc tbh at this point it's a trainwreck i can't wait to watch spectacularly fail in the end. but i'll refrain from constantly bitching about it in this thread.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I will say that I thought they were laying it on too thick with Dennis for a while but they did tie it into the story in a way that felt real. And I can see him becoming a lovable scumbag like, well, Dennis from 30 Rock.

Also, I suspect Emil becomes a mentor for Jen. Bruce was very doom and gloom about what it's like being a hulk but Emil seems much less afraid of it. Plus, the commercials have already shown that he does actually open a wellness center.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
And I'm real glad they cut the Book of Vishanti line from the trailer. That was a real dud.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

live with fruit posted:

And I'm real glad they cut the Book of Vishanti line from the trailer. That was a real dud.

Maybe its from a future episode where Wong gets in trouble for breaking Emil out and he turns to Jen?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ShoogaSlim posted:

i'll continue watching bc tbh at this point it's a trainwreck i can't wait to watch spectacularly fail in the end.
friend have you considered that your thoughts on this MCU cartoon may be affected by a bit of confirmation bias here. A little bit. Maybe. Just a little bit.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I can barely keep up with all the shows I actually like and people are hate watching entire series.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ShoogaSlim posted:

it's a trainwreck i can't wait to watch spectacularly fail in the end

I mean lol it's a silly comedy show

and people are amused and enjoying it, that's literally the measure of its success

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Could just be a case of MCU fatigue. Maybe take a break for She-Hulk? Come back for Armor Wars or Black Panther 2 maybe

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ShoogaSlim posted:

you will automatically turn into the hulk if you get an airhorn blown in your ears while you're asleep, but you will not automatically change if you are (ep 3 spoiler) attacked alone at night by a group of men which is something you explicitly told the audience you are actually in constant fear of.

I too hate when someone is bad at something in a training sequence and then later they're good at it

PLOT HOLE!

this is rey in the last jedi all over again! first she can't lift the heavy thing then later we see her lifting heavy things!? preposterous, it just doesn't make sense!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I liked that episode a lot. Without reading this thread or any other takes I assume people are mad about it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can’t believe Wong would just lie on his resume like that. There’s no Targets in Nepal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

I can’t believe Wong would just lie on his resume like that. There’s no Targets in Nepal.

OBJECTION!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gotta say, this show is way more of a straight-up sitcom than I was expecting. I'm into it.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

parole board extremely chill when a guy opens up a magical portal and walks in the room, freaks all the way the gently caress out when the man they know to be the abomination transforms into the abomination, in a cage, after making it extremely clear he's about to do so

didn't love this episode, but a few lines made it worthwhile for me:

the abrupt "i must depart" and "i will kill for you, megan thee stallion" lol at the cybertruck reference as well, i'd forgotten about that thing.

i do think they're kinda pushing it w/r/t how delusional jen is about her situation, but i guess that's gonna be her big thing to come to grips with. how many people gotta be like "look, you turn into a giant green woman, the attention's not gonna go away after this case is over"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Yeah but turning into a hulk is a normal thing in their family!!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ShoogaSlim posted:

you mentioned there being conflict about whether jen will win the abomination case or whatever. to me, it was never in question bc of course the protagonist is going to pull it off.

See now this is just being disingenuous, because you could say that for just about any conflict, regardless of scale. Also, as someone else mentioned Emil made it really clear that he was going to transform, while behind a secure cell specifically built to contain him as the Abomination. Which he also felt he had to do, because the parole board was questioning his control of the transformation. Doing that, from his point of view, demonstrates his control, regardless of how much it freaks people out.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I do honestly believe Emil is on the up and up about everything. It's an absolutely long con with many people to do all this for a chance at parole.

I think the people having issues with this show are treating it like Anerican Crime Story or Serial rather than the loosey goosey Matlock/Phoenix Wright genre it belongs to. Like none of the legal proceedings are realistic at all but neither is Phoenix Wright interrogating a Killer Whale with shaman psychic powers. It's still real entertaining done right.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

call it nitpicking or looking for something to dislike, but this stuff all just looks clear as day to me as flaws with the narrative, world-building, and immersion. i'll continue watching bc tbh at this point it's a trainwreck i can't wait to watch spectacularly fail in the end. but i'll refrain from constantly bitching about it in this thread.

Why? Why would you do this with your time? Like read a wikipedia summary after it finishes, there has to be something else you'd rather watch or do? I just cannot understand hate watching. I get having invested too much time and wanting to finish out a show that got stupid. Sunk cost fallacy is a bitch. But there are so many shows I gave a few hours to and then just dumped because they weren't for me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Weed Wolf posted:

It's cuz capitalism has made all modern pop culture tribalistic and it's extremely profitable to make people think that they're Doing a Feminism / on the Right Side as they give Disney -- a massive, horrible, corporation which actively exploits queer, female, and PoC voices -- more money. By focusing on loud mouthbreathing idiot assholes on the internet Disney has an easy to point to "bad guy" as the company itself continues to do much, much worse

Yea this is it, this is what was bothering me.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I can't believe anyone was honestly upset about that YouTube bit, like it's the most realistic part of the show. Hell, not a day goes by where YouTube doesn't recommend a video featuring some mouth breather complaining about how Marvel's woke and women and minorities are ruining the MCU.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
DISNEY CORP is bad (being a capitalism) but if you've been paying attention at all, they are much more likely to quash progressivism in the media they control than demand it. Nearly any positive isms you detect are the result of the individual creators pushing for it, demanding it, or in some cases just being given a lot of rope

This is the opposite of defending Disney, but things are complicated. They can be part bad and still the good parts are good and worth noticing and appreciating

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This is hilarious

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

24 minutes out of the day is not a huge commitment so we can probably drop the “why you wasting so much time!” :lol:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Oasx posted:

This is hilarious

I can’t tell if this is from the show or IRL

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Her heart to heart with her dad in the last episode.
Her being exhausted in the bar with her friend after the case.

Are just some examples off the top of my head. But I dunno - its' mostly wacky I guess and perhaps I just enjoy when things are a little more chill. It doesn't balance humor and seriousness like Ms.Marvel did so well.

Ms Marvel had humorous moments in its first 2 eps then turned into a tedious and overwrought melodrama with some of he shakiness villains in the MCU.

She Hulk committing to being a 30 min comedy is loving refreshing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
OMG they’re real

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

i find this argument to be a bit paradoxical. how can you meet your audience "where they are" and also claim that the audience in question is as many people as possible? where is this "location" that the show is meeting its broad audience at?

just like having two cgi blob monsters punching each other in the face repeatedly isn't aimed at the widest possible audience (it's aimed at people, mostly males, who want to experience visceral "macho" power fantasies of violence)... this show is not aimed at the "widest possible audience" either. it is aimed at a very specific audience it knows will be excited by the inclusion of (cameo spoiler) megan thee stallion, and constant deriding of an impossible caricature of a male chauvinist, and who doesn't give a poo poo about getting into the details of the ~30 movies that preceded this offering. abomination is a villain who killed people: so what? let him out bc he makes haikus now. hulk has struggled immeasurable suffering and pain in his quest for self discovery and would make a good mentor: so what? we don't need a mentor. it doesn't even respect the rules it sets out for itself in its own self contained universe. you can't get drunk as the hulk, but you can get drunk as a human and also if you switch back to a human after drinking as a hulk, but only if it's for a funny scene. you will automatically turn into the hulk if you get an airhorn blown in your ears while you're asleep, but you will not automatically change if you are (ep 3 spoiler) attacked alone at night by a group of men which is something you explicitly told the audience you are actually in constant fear of.

it's one thing to include classic rock songs in iron man and thor movies that will resonate particularly well with an older male audience, but it would be sort of jumping the shark to have iron man rocking out with ozzy osbourne. even the cameo of elon musk was grown-worthy, so why is a similar and even more overbearing cameo inclusion in she-hulk applauded? again, it's for a very specific audience who, in my opinion, want to be talked down to. people in this thread who enjoy the show almost unanimously agree that it's "dumb fun" -- it's dangly keys in front of a baby so they are distracted and amused. i'm not saying poo poo like this doesn't work for me when it's action/guy oriented poo poo, but let's just call it what it actually is.

i know this show isn't for me. i don't even like most shows regardless of whether or not it's included in a franchise i enjoy. i'm ok with poo poo existing where i'm not the target demographic. but what's frustrating is that it feels almost impossible to say this show isn't good bc of bad writing or editing without someone else tut-tutting that notion saying "you must hate women."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not sure what it is with the She-Hulk CGI, but it's kind of jarring when she is walking around an office, partially because she walks kind of weird and there is this almost kind of blur effect around her. It's much better when she is just in the center of the frame and not really moving around a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

friend have you considered that your thoughts on this MCU cartoon may be affected by a bit of confirmation bias here. A little bit. Maybe. Just a little bit.

Honest-to-Mephisto I'm just happy that this show that I really wanted to like is something that I actually do like.