Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

mycatscrimes posted:

The idea that someone who is a minor might be gay or have a same sex crush isn't inherently inappropriate because being gay isn't a fetish, it's not some adults only sex thing. That's seriously scary rhetoric. I definitely experienced crushes on older women as a teen. It shouldn't be seen as any less wholesome or taboo to depict or discuss that than the extremely normal trope of a kid with a heterosexual older crush. (Depicted in a way that acknowledges that it happens not in a way that suggests its age appropriate).

That said, I get that the context here is this is all in the wake of that 'lesbian sub/dom' comment which was entirely beyond the pale and unquestionably sexualizing, and dealt with appropriately. But the comment after that which got probed doesn't feel great to see that get punished! It's not weird for a minor to be gay! I was a gay minor! The idea that gayness is sexual in the sense of always and only being about sex and acknowledging you can be lgbt and have those feelings as minor is inherently sexualizing and inappropriate is seriously harmful. Would the comment have been probed if the character was a boy and the commentator said it looked like he might be developing a crush?

Fully, this is a sore spot for me and the rhetoric around it/book bannings/the new right wing moral panic is really weighing on me right now, so if I'm overreacting, I'm prepared to accept that.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

The idea that someone who is a minor might be gay or have a same sex crush isn't inherently inappropriate because being gay isn't a fetish, it's not some adults only sex thing. That's seriously scary rhetoric. I definitely experienced crushes on older women as a teen. It shouldn't be seen as any less wholesome or taboo to depict or discuss that than the extremely normal trope of a kid with a heterosexual older crush. (Depicted in a way that acknowledges that it happens not in a way that suggests its age appropriate).

That said, I get that the context here is this is all in the wake of that 'lesbian sub/dom' comment which was entirely beyond the pale and unquestionably sexualizing, and dealt with appropriately. But the comment after that which got probed doesn't feel great to see that get punished! It's not weird for a minor to be gay! I was a gay minor! The idea that gayness is sexual in the sense of always and only being about sex and acknowledging you can be lgbt and have those feelings as minor is inherently sexualizing and inappropriate is seriously harmful. Would the comment have been probed if the character was a boy and the commentator said it looked like he might be developing a crush?

Fully, this is a sore spot for me and the rhetoric around it/book bannings/the new right wing moral panic is really weighing on me right now, so if I'm overreacting, I'm prepared to accept that.

Yeah. The first probe/ban was right and good. The second probe was bad.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Oh wait I just saw the 'the end' at the bottom of the last page is there no more?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I feel like the 2nd probe was ok and fine, because A.) it's just a 24hr probe, but more importantly B.) It was said to drop it, and with the way the conversation had been going, it was good to put a kibosh on any romance talk for the comic with a 12 year old girl. It's not about fetishizing being gay, it's about not talking about who kids want to date or have a crush on, especially with the power dynamics in play. It also may have been unintentional, but like saying the BDSM dude had a point is not ok.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The person also said nothing about a young crush and instead talked about being gay as something that can only happen as an adult, and is not ok either. We were able to discuss this subject respectfully with the Multiverse comic because there was cultural context, and it was pretty explicitly following those themes, saying oh yeah this kid is going to be a super gay adult right after someone talked about how she's such a sub, and her employers such a dom isn't Ok. It wouldn't be Ok to say how badly she'd want to date and how straight she'd be when she grew up either. We shouldn't talk about the romantic inclinations of children right after some weird poo poo came up.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Sep 2, 2022

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
They weren't saying BDSM dude had a point, they were responding to an earlier conversation about general gay themes in the mangaka's work. Please explain how they 'talked about being gay as something that can only happen as an adult?' I can say 'this seems gay' and mean 'this reminds me of my life experiences with gay feels', not 'this looks like these two characters are about to have sex'

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

mycatscrimes posted:

They weren't saying BDSM dude had a point, they were responding to an earlier conversation about general gay themes in the mangaka's work. Please explain how they 'talked about being gay as something that can only happen as an adult?' I can say 'this seems gay' and mean 'this reminds me of my life experiences with gay feels', not 'this looks like these two characters are about to have sex'

Explain how someone can only be gay once they're an adult. Either something is gay or it's not, age doesn't matter because you're born gay. Adding the age of consent is what inherently makes the difference.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I do understand the context that the earlier comment was likely on the mod's mind, I'm dislike extending that to punishing an innocuous discussion for the crime of discussing lgbt themes after a creeper got hit.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
A story would or wouldn't be gay not based on the age of the characters but the themes.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I didn't like the post at all because it implied that gay stories can only be adult stories.

e: sorry, I'm treating the forums like a chat and just hitting reply after every thought.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Perestroika posted:

Okay yeah, now I am very much reminded of how somebody pointed out earlier in the thread that this comic would have some serious gay vibes if Shirley were an adult.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I went back and checked the comment, and my bad for not remembering the last part, but it still doesn't seem nearly as sinister as you're implying. However, it does change the context enough that I understand more why it was hit, I suppose.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Boba Pearl posted:

I didn't like the post at all because it implied that gay stories can only be adult stories.

I suspect we agree on a strong rejection of the idea that gay stories can only be adult stories.
Anyway, as I said earlier, I fully cop to being both sensitive and anxious about this subject right now, so I'll step back. Thanks for having this convo with me.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Sep 2, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
You wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, and I took it more offensively, that's fine, and I think it's Ok, and I'm glad we could talk it out.

E: I'm also being sensitive but from the other direction, I think it was good to have a public discussion. That's what forum boards are all about imo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Boba Pearl posted:

You wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, and I took it more offensively, that's fine, and I think it's Ok, and I'm glad we could talk it out.

E: I'm also being sensitive but from the other direction, I think it was good to have a public discussion. That's what forum boards are all about imo.

Same to you. I'm enjoying your comic by the way, the colorful art's really fun to look at.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Everyone has been so nice about it and it makes me ecstatic, I have not had a project make me so happy in a long time.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Sep 2, 2022

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Aww Boba :)

I saw your edit :ninja:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lmao

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Edit: Actually, these guys look a bit scrotumish. Better spoiler that.

what the gently caress does your scrotum look like

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

BasicLich posted:

what the gently caress does your scrotum look like

Turn on your monitor

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BrigadierSensible posted:

Turn off your monitor

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Turn on your monitor

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Turn off your monitor

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
This idea that you just get to be gay at any age is some serious american libertarian bullshit. Over here in europe you can't even get your learner's permit until at least age 16 and you have to pass both a written and a practical exam before you get your actual license. Even so the costs involved are often prohibitive and many people have to rely on a gay partner or (if you live in the bigger cities) public pride events.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

mycatscrimes posted:

...you know what, you're quite right - and I don't think you're overreacting.

Depictions of crushes, especially re. young people and especially re. someone not around their age is always going to be... Controversial? But it being gay shouldn't be one of the qualifying aspects of said controversy.

Now, the capitalist exploitation inherent in the read of a crush relationship, THAT I'm fine with saying flat out is controversial.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Samovar posted:

...you know what, you're quite right - and I don't think you're overreacting.

Depictions of crushes, especially re. young people and especially re. someone not around their age is always going to be... Controversial? But it being gay shouldn't be one of the qualifying aspects of said controversy.

Now, the capitalist exploitation inherent in the read of a crush relationship, THAT I'm fine with saying flat out is controversial.

I wouldn't have probed that post personally, I briefly considered it and decided not to but I can see why it was. At the end of the day it's only 24 hours for poking at a sore spot so let's move on. If anyone still feels strongly you can shoot a PM to the mod.

Also I loled at this post

Mr. Sunshine posted:

This idea that you just get to be gay at any age is some serious american libertarian bullshit. Over here in europe you can't even get your learner's permit until at least age 16 and you have to pass both a written and a practical exam before you get your actual license. Even so the costs involved are often prohibitive and many people have to rely on a gay partner or (if you live in the bigger cities) public pride events.

some plague rats has a new favorite as of 07:47 on Sep 2, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

shirley is a lovely comic about a girl being exploited by her landlord

forming
244-248

last time: apam cried at a sentient Gender Fortress until it let him in, so that he could hire assassins to kill the ruler of the universe

i fuckin love this upcoming sequence. no arsing around with weird animals or whales, just straight-up batshit character design in a futuristic hell fortress

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah it's just weird that they're drawn like literal toddlers, especially when no-one else is

anime is bad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ChubbyChecker posted:

anime is vlad

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Samantha 6
Samantha 7
Samantha 8
Samantha 9
Samantha 10
Samantha 11

Samantha 12

Samantha 13

Samantha 14

So yeah, as mentioned, the comic has a pretty outdated depiction of mental disorders. :/

Talking character deaths: 15
Deaths altogether: 51+

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Starting to think the order of assassins are kind of jerks!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Bonus pages:

Thought about taking a break from posting DHC and went poking through my folders for something else, accidentally reread Guy Delisle's Shenzhen start to finish, gave up and got another DHC chapter ready.

Episode 11: Yoshida, the Slime and a Home Visit
Yeah, it's a Yoshida and Senpai chapter.

thetoughestbean posted:

Oh yeah, big ones.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

thetoughestbean posted:

Hey, it's in the name. Twice, even!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it's pretty clear that Perestroika missed the weird post entirely and only remembered the earlier not weird one. Unfortunately since their post didn't make it clear which other post they were referring too, the mod assumed it was the weird one and thus probed them. A slight misunderstanding but at only 24 hours, not a too harmful one. I think we're all on the same page now and it'll be ok.

Regy Rusty has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Sep 2, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

alright thanks for deciding that

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Oh wait I just saw the 'the end' at the bottom of the last page is there no more?
Just marking the end of the chapter. If you go back and check you'll see that every chapter has a little "End" or "The end" at the, uh, end.

We've got a few more chapters to go, I certainly wouldn't just post the last chapter and make no mention of that it is.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
When both parts of a couple cheat on each other it cancels out, that's just science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well these are some sweet enchanted knives.