Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think the song fits on a sex playlist, but only if you have a very bass capable sound system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

In college I had a fwb who'd play Led Zeppelin every time I came over to mask the noise from her roommates. Anyway that's why I spent a period in my 20s getting instantly horny when hearing Kashmir.

It's got a sexy riff.

Incidentally, for similar reasons The Gathering's "Nighttime Birds" brings up some fond memories.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not telling my mom I got full ride scholarship to college?

quote:

I (18f) stopped living at my mom's when I was 17. She and I do not have a very good relationship and has become more strained over the years. The trouble started when I was 8 and my mom started dating her husband. I was several months out from losing my dad and when she introduced me to her husband (then boyfriend) I was honest that I did not like her dating. She told me I would come around. But within four months, left me with a cousin and got engaged to him while his kids were present. I found out because my cousin got a text with a photo of them and the news had already gone around the rest of my mom's family and her husband's family.

Then I was the last person to find out about her being pregnant two years after that point. Her stepson who was 15 at the time decided he would taunt me with the news and saying how mom had fully replaced my dad and I was next. I don't think he actually saw it that way, but he knew that's how I felt about mom being remarried. Apparently they were all taken by their dad to be told while mom was telling her family. I think it was like a week later when he taunted me over it.

They did attempt to include me in stuff but because I wasn't into it that was kind of just left to be it's onw thing. Mom pulled away from me and would then feel bad and try to bond. Eventually I just decided I had lost her because I couldn't blend with her husband and his kids, and because she would always resent me for that, the way I resented her for moving so fast after dad and putting everyone before me, I moved in with my dad's parents. This is where I was when I applied for college and stuff and I got the scholarship. I never told my mom. We didn't talk for months. It's only after I started college last week that she had reached out to my grandparents about something and she found out.

She was upset, furious, all the stuff and she asked how I could leave her out of something so huge because she would have celebrated the news with me. I told her I didn't really consider her part of my life anymore and just like she had moved on with her life away from me, I had done the same away from her. She told me it was different and I was being cruel. Her husband took over and demanded I go to them and discuss everything "as a family" so that my mom could have the life she deserves and have her kid treat her right instead of being selfish and spoiled.

I never set out to hurt my mom. But I did stop thinking about her role in my life after I moved out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hughlander posted:

I dont know who these strangers that keep calling OP are, but she should block their number if they're gonna be such assholes about misdialing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

"Be my child! No, not me parent, just you child!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hughlander posted:

"Run away. Run away and never return." but in a positive tone.

That's some textbook untreated NPD on the parents' part.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hughlander posted:

quote:

demanded I go to them and discuss everything "as a family" so my mom could have the life she deserves and have her kid treat her right instead of being selfish and spoiled
But not a single word about how *she* has treated *OP* this entire time. Shove that entire family into the acid vats.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
She disappeared for all the hard parts of parenting but now that all that is over she wants back in, especially if she can bask in the reflected glory of her child's achievements.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
WIBTA IF I ASK MY DAUGHTER TO RETURN HER INHERITANCE ?

quote:

i have two sons and one daughters, all of my children are college aged. my first son wanted to study medicine, and medicine is very expensive. after he finished highschool my husband got sick and my first-born daughter Jennine took over the business. she opted out not to go to university but encouraged her brother to pursue medicine and that she will work in the family business and pay his fees. her other brother also want to pursue medicine so Jennine agreed to pay for them also.

That was 6 years ago and all of her siblings are finished with their studies and doing internships, my husbands health has also improved but my daughter still rans the business. My daughter decided to move to Canada since all of her siblings have become self sufficient and my husband and i have saved for retirement. i was talking to my husband and he was thinking about writing a will, he decided that from the sales of the business Jennine will receive 70 percent of the money and her siblings will share the 30 percent left equally. His reasoning was that the business paid for the medical school fees and it is expensive, since Jennine did not go to medical school and worked in the business she should get all of the money,

I do agree that Jennine but her life on hold for her siblings, but she is getting married to a very rich man who will take of her. My sons on the other hand will need money to get married and they all want stay at home wives. i cant seem to change my husbands opinion, i think that they should all share the money equally, Jennine has a very strong business sense she changed our company, it was making 1 million profit in a year but when she took over it started making three million, she can start her own business and i know she can make it thrive. The money doctors making during their internship and residency is very low i tried to explain this to my husband but all he says is they should start eating ramen noodles and stop relying on their sister,

i have decided to ask Jennine to give her money to her brothers after her dad transfers it, so WIBTA if i ask that of her?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Today, I literally woke myself laughing when I heard that song in my dream/nightmare :haw:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA For Letting My Daughter Keep Her Scarlet Witch Stuff Despite My Ex-Wife's Objections?

quote:

When our kids were growing up, my wife had...a lot of rules regarding what media she'd let into the house. The main thing was that she didn't want any toys or stuff of villains. Any time our son got a Darth Vader or Joker or whatever toy for a birthday or Christmas, she'd toss it out and lecture our son before replacing it with something 'acceptable'. This was one of the many factors that led to our divorce, and contributed to why our two children mostly live with me (they spend one week a month with my ex).

Now, during our marriage this didn't matter as much for my daughter Sara. People don't usually give girls Maleficent or Ursula dolls (not even sure if they make those). But my daughter has a big fixation on Wanda from the MCU. She's never out and out said it, but I'm pretty sure Avengers 2 was how my daughter realized she liked girls.

Regardless Sara is 17 now and still has a massive Wanda collection. Every toy, piece of art, mug, you name it, she's got it. Which has never been a problem...until now. Because my ex finally saw Multiverse of Madness, and she knows Wanda is a villain now. And my daughter's social media means she knows that I haven't done a thing about her room.

My ex exploded. Phone calls, texts, emails, trying to sic her friends and family on me. Genuinely, I think she took my saying I wanted a divorce better than she's been taking my letting Sara keep her collection. Normally I'd let it wash over me but...this is clearly bothering her a lot. Like, a lot a lot. And while I'd never ask Sara to throw away or get rid of everything, I'm a little worried that letting her keep it all up could either be having a negative impact on my ex's mental health or be setting my kids up for a bad time at her house.

I recognize that my ex is unreasonable, but am I being TA for just ignoring her?

quote:

Not overtly? My ex's argument was that it said something about you as a person. With Sara's current situation, she'd say that Sara keeping the collection is endorsement of Wanda's behavior in Multiverse of Madness, and telling other people that what Wanda did is something Sara would do.

quote:

She's villain-averse because she thinks owning, say, a Darth Vader action figure teaches kids that Darth Vader is cool and someone to emulate, and that liking villains signals poor moral character/fiber. IE, if you collect Darth Vader stuff (especially if you collect more Vader than Luke) then you're declaring yourself pro-Empire/Fascism.

And not to worry about my son, he found creative ways to work evil!Obi-Wan/Han/Chewie into his playtime! Good kid.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

teen witch posted:

AITA For Letting My Daughter Keep Her Scarlet Witch Stuff Despite My Ex-Wife's Objections?

"man, i am really tired of seeing my kid"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I see she didn't know anything about the comics either, in addition to being bonkers.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for always staying in a hotel instead of at my MIL's?

quote:

My spouse (31F) and I (34F) have been together for 10 years and married for six of those. In case anyone missed it, we are a same-sex couple, and it's relevant to this scenario.

Before we got married, my MIL (~65F) insisted that no unmarried couples shared a bed at her house, and I was fine with this. That was the rule, for all 4 of her children: no unmarried couples, no matter how long you've lived together. For a variety of reasons, we all suspected that the real reason for the rule was that she just didn't want any gay people sharing a bed in her house, but whatever, it's not my house, and that's a common enough house rule anyway.

Then we got married. The first time we planned to visit after getting married, we were informed that the rule had changed: now, no couples except for her and her husband can share a bed in her house, married or not. As far as I'm concerned, this was absolute proof of the real reason for the rule, but again, it's not my house, not my mother, and really not my battle. I booked us a hotel instead. And that's what we've done every time we visit. I'm happy enough to respect that it's her house rule, but it's not a condition under which I'm willing to stay with her or anyone else.

The knock-on effect is that we don't end up spending that much time with the in-laws when we visit. This hurts MIL's feelings. She thinks that we're (read: I am, even though my spouse and I are 100% on the same page) being unreasonable by being unwilling to spend X nights in separate bedrooms for the sake of spending time with family. I think she's disrespecting our marriage by expecting this. I know that it hurts her to miss out on time with her daughter over this, and I don't think she's a horrible person or anything, so I do feel a little bad about it. And as much as I think it's pretty obvious now that it's a homophobia thing, she is still equally applying the rule to all her children. But I don't feel bad enough that it's something I'm willing to compromise on. On the other hand, I wonder a tiny bit if I'm being oversensitive.

it hurts my feelings that my homophobia means i don't get to spend as much time with my gay child

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I see she didn't know anything about the comics either, in addition to being bonkers.

I knew the Scarlet Witch from American comics when I was a kid and in none of the stories I'd seen her in was she a villain. They've been publishing that crap literally literally for decades.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

teen witch posted:

Well owning something representing a villain is tacitly endorsing them so I understand where the ex wife is coming from

Barudak
May 7, 2007

House of M storyline really swerved peoples expectations when Wanda said "No more mothers"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

teen witch posted:

lol reminds me of my ex.. some people really want to be thought police

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Well owning something representing a villain is tacitly endorsing them so I understand where the ex wife is coming from

AITA for asking my husband to remove his William Foster Funko Pop from his night stand when we have sex?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for banning SFIL from being around my kids and having "bad timing"?

quote:

The other day my husband and MIL needed to have an important talk. He asked me to go with him as he was anxious and didn't want to go alone. I very reluctantly agreed, but basically the moment we got there MIL asked me to go outside.

So I took my two children (5 and 2) outside. SFIL was out there with my husband's sisters (6 and 4) I tried to stick to one side of the yard, as he and I have never gotten along. I was on the trampoline with both kids, but my 5 year old wanted to go and swing, which was fine but I cannot leave the 2 year old on the trampoline alone.

My son went over and asked SFIL to push him (he was pushing both of his daughters) SFIL replied "sorry, but your mom is crazy and I'm not getting yelled at for pushing you too high or whatever." My son just looked at him confused, and SFIL said "really, sorry, but I'm just at a point in my life where I don't deal with miserable dramatic women, and your mom always has a problem."

I was furious. I immediately went over and grabbed my son and I was going to say something, because you don't ever badmouth a child's parent like that. I don't care how you feel in private, but that borders on being abusive to me.

Before I could say anything MIL and my husband came out of the house. She was crying. He looked like he was in a trance, and had definitely been crying. I might be insensitive, because I didn't check if either of them were ok. I immidiatley announced that SFIL had just disrespected me as a mother and he will never be near my children again, no exceptions, no holidays, just no one is going to do that in front of my child.

My husband snapped at me that it didn't matter as MIL as MIL had just disowned him. MIL asked him not to use that word and began to sob. SFIL blew up on me that I'm an egomaniac, and why would I even bring that up when they are both clearly upset. I tried to point out what he had just done in front of my child, but he told me I'm an rear end in a top hat and he feels bad for my husband.

My husband was cold going home and says while he usually defends me, I was heartless to not even ask what was wrong, and my timing was all wrong. He says I should have just sucked it up that one time, as I knew he went there to have a serious talk with MIL.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for banning SFIL from being around my kids and having "bad timing"?

lol, coming out of a big "look, it's us or your wife" talk with your mom to find out that she's 100% justified. wonder how long the marriage is going to last

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What the gently caress is an SFIL?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pope Corky the IX posted:

step father in law, probably

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Foo Diddley posted:

lol, coming out of a big "look, it's us or your wife" talk with your mom to find out that she's 100% justified. wonder how long the marriage is going to last

I was thinking it was a "we're going to leave everything to the little girls" conversation, but yeah, that's funnier and would explain why she doesn't tell us what it was.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Sinister father in law

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Solkanar512 posted:

This dude is so loving bitter that she hosed other people before him. Also love the fact that he assumed the dinner was a date and not literally just two friends catching up. Something which normal folks do!

This one is so loving weird to me. Looking at the comments more, I found out that the child support money was being used to pay off the mortgage and other bills because the step-father has been on disability for years now. I also found some real gems here.

The last thing I want to do is excuse this jock shithead but even mother made it clear that most of his punishment was for "disrespecting Tom", not for being a bully.

I will never not side with whoever is opposed to a person described as an old fashioned Texas man.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for always staying in a hotel instead of at my MIL's?

it hurts my feelings that my homophobia means i don't get to spend as much time with my gay child

This reminds me of the time my parents pulled the exact same poo poo on my ~55yo uncle and his long-term girlfriend so they got a hotel instead. You have to be married to share a room in this house!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling my boyfriend that I will always consider my son’s feelings in the decisions I make?

quote:

I (28f) had my son A (13m) when I was 15 years old. For the majority of his life, it’s just been the two of us. I didn’t even start dating until three years ago, and last year I met my boyfriend Z (30M), and I took my time in introducing the two of them.

A and Z aren’t close or anything, but A has never expressed to me that Z makes him uncomfortable or anything like that so I think the distance is just him being a teenage boy not wanting much to do with the guy that’s dating his mom.

Since Z and I have been together for a year now, we’ve started talking about next steps and things like that. The next step we’ve spoken about is him moving in. He lives in an apartment right now while A and I live in a 3bd house, so it just makes sense for him to end his lease and stay here.

I told him that while I do want to take this next step, I need to ask my son how he feels about it first, which made Z start to get annoyed with me. He said that my son’s feelings on him moving in are irrelevant because he and I are adults and A is a child. He doesn’t think my son should get a say in the things I choose to do, and that it’s ridiculous for me to consider A’s opinions in a conversation about our future as a couple. I said that while he’s right, A is just a kid, this is still going to impact his life, and it’s only right that I talk to him about it. My house is my son’s only home, it’s not like he has the option to go somewhere else if something is happening here that he doesn’t like/isn’t comfortable with, so why wouldn’t I talk to him about a big life change that will affect him?

Z accused me of being too emotionally invested in my son, he says that I care too much about A’s opinion when it comes to living my adult life, and that by prioritizing how he feels about my relationship, I’m signing myself up to be alone forever because very few men would willingly tolerate their gfs kid having more say than them. I told him it wasn’t about who has more say than anyone else, and that it was completely normal for me to want to consider my son’s feelings about the choices I make that impact the both of us.

Z told me he didn’t want to argue about it anymore and said that he’ll talk to me when I come to my senses. My head is still reeling about the whole thing and I just want to know if I’m in the wrong for wanting to listen to my kid’s feelings on this before just letting my boyfriend move in.

awfully considerate of the bf to go full rear end in a top hat while it's still easy to get rid of him

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

My sons on the other hand will need money to get married and they all want stay at home wives.

Well that's pretty gross.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Probably a good lesson for the kid to learn, but lmao at running to Reddit to humble-brag about how savagely you owned your kid

11 is one of the ages where the parent-child relationship starts to change (they're still very dependent on the parents, but starting to really need to work toward independence - balancing that can be like threading a needle), and the story doesn't mention the kid having any older siblings. So the parent in the story could quite reasonably be wondering if this wasn't actually inappropriate.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

BURIED DEEP

quote:

Jennine has a very strong business sense she changed our company, it was making 1 million profit in a year but when she took over it started making three million, she can start her own business and i know she can make it thrive.

Oh so Jennine hasn't just been working at the company unlike the sons, she's literally responsible for making it a massive success.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gnoman posted:

11 is one of the ages where the parent-child relationship starts to change (they're still very dependent on the parents, but starting to really need to work toward independence - balancing that can be like threading a needle), and the story doesn't mention the kid having any older siblings. So the parent in the story could quite reasonably be wondering if this wasn't actually inappropriate.

Kid learned the most important lesson, no not keep your lies manageable, but double down when called out.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for accidentally becoming player 1?

quote:

My husband and I were gonna play a videogame and I was player 1 and he was like "why did you press the bottom? Now you're player 1" and I just said "ok?" And he said "I'm always player 1, now we have to go back and change it" and I was like????? So I told him "you don't always have to be player 1, you're being ridiculous " and he kept saying he's always player 1 no matter who he's playing with he has to always be player 1 so I told him again he was being ridiculous but I just gave him the controller so he can be player 1 and he just said "never min I don't wanna play anymore" I told him AGAIN he was being ridiculous and childish and I just went to the room to lay down

eagerly awaiting the follow-up, "AITA? my MIL says it's my husband's turn to play"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Foo Diddley posted:

eagerly awaiting the follow-up, "AITA? my MIL says it's my husband's turn to play"

dude what the gently caress state allows marriage to a four-year old

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Foo Diddley posted:

What game was it???

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for paying for my dog’s ACL surgery but not my son’s?

quote:

I know the title sounds bad but hear me out I (57f) have a beloved yellow lab (5f) and a son (26m).

Last year my poor puppy girl tore one of her ACLs while we were out on a hike. Seeing my poor girl limp broke my heart and the vet told me the only option was ACL surgery. I of course paid the 15k to get her fixed up despite it being a pretty big strain on my finances but honestly my dog’s health comes first.

My son is a successful kid for the most part. He works full time and lives on his own. He just recently turned 26 and I told him numerous times he is going to need to get his own health insurance as he’s not allowed to be in mine anymore. He kept telling me he knew this and would handle it.

Well last weekend my son was playing in one of his soccer games and he got into a bad accident on the field and ended up tearing his ACL. He is now demanding I help pay for his surgery because of course he couldn’t send one email to HR to enroll in his workplace’s health insurance. He says this is my fault for not reminding him he’s not on my insurance any more enough.

I want to help him but honestly we have no idea what this will end up costing and I’m still pretty strapped from my sweet puppy girl’s surgery last year, plus the hubs and I would like to retire in a few years and I’m not sure we can do that if we take on who knows how much medical debt.

My husband agrees with my but the rest of my family is blowing up my phone and saying I’m a huge rear end in a top hat for not paying for the same surgery for my son that I have paid for for my dog. So Reddit AITA?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mx. posted:

AITA for paying for my dog’s ACL surgery but not my son’s?

Yet another "It sounds bad, but" and then it turns out bad. OPs son being a moron doesn't mean she can't also be an rear end in a top hat.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 2, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mx. posted:

dude what the gently caress state allows marriage to a four-year old

Several US states.

e: California, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming, to be precise. No minimum age.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Alchenar posted:

BURIED DEEP

Oh so Jennine hasn't just been working at the company unlike the sons, she's literally responsible for making it a massive success.

Probably part dad's reasoning. Not sure if running the business came with a generous salary (over and above what was provided the sons to help them through school) though because if it did then it does make more sense that they just split the money evenly to close as quickly as possible the trend of differential treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

champagne posting posted:

Yes another "It sounds bad, but" and then it turns out bad. OPs son being a moron doesn't mean she can't also be an rear end in a top hat.

On the other hand, that’s a grown rear end adult who didn’t sort out his health insurance situation.

Although my view on it might be flavoured by my parents’ firm view that adult children have to live with the consequences of their choices, which means I’m clawing my way out of debt from my former landlord giving me the bare minimum of notice to move and my health being total bullshit, and they wish me well from their nice holiday in their brand new SUV.