Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
He was just asking questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Is this like when the fire department goes to the schools and all the kids get those little plastic helmets?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

moonmazed posted:

what the gently caress does bible thumping ska have to do with anything

Doug TenNapel did a shitload of art for FIF albums, and FIF has been like half comprised of humanistic atheists for 15 years

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Rockman Reserve posted:

Doug TenNapel did a shitload of art for FIF albums, and FIF has been like half comprised of humanistic atheists for 15 years

I don't doubt what you're saying, but the name Five Iron Frenzy and that logo makes one wonder about the other half

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I….don’t understand what you’re saying at all, honestly?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I think they are saying the band is half golfers

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I think they're saying why does a band that's called Five Iron Frenzy have a logo that looks like HH (there's probably more but that's what you see in that photo)

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
five iron frenzy's logo is literally an ancient religious symbol, sorry abt your eurocentrism

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I don't doubt what you're saying, but the name Five Iron Frenzy and that logo makes one wonder about the other half

What's the name supposed to mean?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

What's the name supposed to mean?

Beating the poo poo out of people with a golf club?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I spent a lot of my youth going to ska & punk shows, and there was a lot of skinhead spillover - you'd get stupid nazi oi lunks wearing shirts and back patches for bands with "Iron" and words associated with violence in the name, along with, yup, hh looking rear end logos. Which, you know, was part of the whole nazis ripping off religious symbols shtick.

I'm just saying, the name Five Iron Frenzy and logos like that strike a chord with a certain audience. It's cool they're non-sectarian, just that if you didn't know better or hadn't heard their music, you might get the wrong idea.

e: iron is associated cuz of iron eagle, iron cross, etc. Lots of really derivative names

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
In conclusion, two-tone ska will always remain the best ska

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

even in their christian days their songs were almost all of the variety "hey why are you being a hateful bigot, that sucks, do you think that's how jesus wanted you to act?", to the point where they caused a minor schism in my ultra-evangelical youth group as a kid lmfao

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

In conclusion, two-tone ska will always remain the best ska

if only it wasn't called ska

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Rockman Reserve posted:

even in their christian days their songs were almost all of the variety "hey why are you being a hateful bigot, that sucks, do you think that's how jesus wanted you to act?", to the point where they caused a minor schism in my ultra-evangelical youth group as a kid lmfao

That is rad - and makes me wonder if they were aware of the associations and did it as a 'taking it back' thing

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I spent a lot of my youth going to ska & punk shows, and there was a lot of skinhead spillover - you'd get stupid nazi oi lunks wearing shirts and back patches for bands with "Iron" and words associated with violence in the name, along with, yup, hh looking rear end logos. Which, you know, was part of the whole nazis ripping off religious symbols shtick.

My friend, have you ever seen this video of a man being confronted nearby a BLM protest for wearing a Skrewdriver shirt?

It's only kind of related but it warms my heart every time.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mister Speaker posted:

My friend, have you ever seen this video of a man being confronted nearby a BLM protest for wearing a Skrewdriver shirt?

It's only kind of related but it warms my heart every time.

Nazi gently caress fucks off

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
itt goons identify a tally mark and alliteration as neo nazi dog whistles

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

the concept of numbers has been cancelled for enabling the holocaust

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ska is bad

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQfW7ixWmM

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

It was a dumb mental association for sure but I'm still not sure which ancient religion you were talking about?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Henchman of Santa posted:

Beating the poo poo out of people with a golf club?

its literally that, based on one of their roommates who was paranoid and carried around a golf club to fight off imagined assaults

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

As a junglist I must stand in solidarity with ska, even if I don't really enjoy it that much.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Watched the documentary PICK IT UP! SKA IN THE 90’s yesterday, and can confirm you are the Wrongest Rhino. Aquabats for life.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Man is a dog whistle

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/akulleq/status/1565171127483305984?s=21&t=URQcCW2bftbl_GdN60CwIg

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Watched the documentary PICK IT UP! SKA IN THE 90’s yesterday, and can confirm you are the Wrongest Rhino. Aquabugs for life.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

really gotta wonder how they feel now about having presented some shmorky animations at a live show

Those animations can be defended by the fact that the real genius behind them was Lauren Kyanka and Lowtax and Schmorky were just the losers who did the production.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

What's the difference between a ska band and a moose?

A moose has two horns in the front and an rear end in a top hat in the back

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

lobsterminator posted:

Those animations can be defended by the fact that the real genius behind them was Lauren Kyanka and Lowtax and Schmorky were just the losers who did the production.

truth

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Yeah, a lot of goons really struggle with separating what they like from what is unabashedly good and continually seek to merge the two. Sometimes they even get so into it that they tilt at windmills. See recent discussion on how a ska band is a secret Neo-Nazi hate group.

The principle is also very selectively applied too. It tends to mostly get applied to the hot left-wing political issues of the day, and it tends to get applied to minor things like watching vs. not watching a TV show.

Like for example, posting on this message board or doing drugs are certainly not optimal ways to spend your time to improve society, in fact they are probably somewhat bad for society, but for whatever reason those actions don't bother them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, a lot of goons really struggle with separating what they like from what is unabashedly good and continually seek to merge the two. Sometimes they even get so into it that they tilt at windmills. See recent discussion on how a ska band is a secret Neo-Nazi hate group.

The principle is also very selectively applied too. It tends to mostly get applied to the hot left-wing political issues of the day, and it tends to get applied to minor things like watching vs. not watching a TV show.

Like for example, posting on this message board or doing drugs are certainly not optimal ways to spend your time to improve society, in fact they are probably somewhat bad for society, but for whatever reason those actions don't bother them.

It'd be nice if you improved society by not posting.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

It's just the impression that they get

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

silence_kit posted:

For better or worse, being a scold to others on the internet is a convenient way to reinforce what side of the discourse you are on. Both to others, and to yourself. There's also nothing at stake in making such judgements, so it's easy to do.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
literally one rule dogg

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

In this thread you will find people posting:

1) Idiots
2) (this is the important part) On Social Media

Why is that the important part? Because for the sake of this thread, the Something Awful Forums are not social media. That is to say, the idiocy must come from outside the thread.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Regarding the band imagery taken as suspiciously fash-adjacent, I'm really surprised to see goons here reacting as incredulous as they are. If the past couple decades have proved anything it's that these people infiltrate everything they can find and plant their little symbols everywhere. Those of us who spend time in specific niche circles and subcultures are no doubt more attuned to the warning signs and trends of these groups specific to those circles. Things which may appear innocent to an outsider, but those who've bumped into one neo-nazi too many knows to take as a possible red flag.
poo poo happens constantly, and yes, sometimes a bad feeling or suspicious imagery turns out to be nothing.

But look at this poo poo. As someone who's never heard of FIF, seeing a conservative band set in red and black with what looks like a reject Wolfenstein logo at least gets me wary. And gently caress you, Cool Kids Club Soda is right, I could easily see "HH" not-even-really-hidden in this logo at least as a possibility. Yes, maybe that's seeing something where there's nothing, maybe this instance is genuinely harmless, but that's how this works.

Why are people acting like we've all suddenly forgotten what the gently caress a dogwhistle is, or that people even in the same circles haven't pulled this same poo poo many times in the past?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Literally a red flag lol. I mean they could have made it blue or green why did they make these particular choice after choice after choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Just staring intensely at the logos of bands like five people on earth give a poo poo about, trying desperately to determine if they're a threat