Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there will be infinite and everlasting goodwill toward ukrainian refugees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my dad posted:

I got directed that this thread might be a suitable place to post this, so...

In the recent years, Serbia's coal industry got hosed up pretty badly by various hazards and disasters, and our power production suffered pretty badly for it. As an added bonus, coal production this year is on the lower end of what could have been expected in the conditions. With the ongoing trade clusterfuck, we've started importing a lot of power, and it's likely that it's going to significantly escalate when winter hits. We're already experiencing major food price hikes, and the first signs of shortages of basic produce. (it's still not particularly bad, but you're starting to see things like all the stores in an area running out of milk mid-day, etc). The national power company is offering (additional) reduction of power bills for people who drop their power consumption by a certain percentage over the next few months, relative to their prior power spending, but the implication inbetween the lines is that the price is going to go up in general for everyone.

One of the options being brought up by our government (in a way that a lot of poo poo 'options' were brought up in before being implemented) is a loan from the IMF, in exchange for them getting to decide how our national power infrastructure is run. For ideas on what happens when IMF makes deals like that with countries in the Balkans, you are free to look at what happened in Greece.
The recent media storm about Kosovo fits this in nicely with the cycle of europe/nato making GBS threads on us out of nowhere, followed by our government puffing up as the world's greatest patriots who'd never do what the eu tells them, followed by some sort of loud deescalation broadcasted everywhere, and a quiet surrender of yet another part of our economy that never gets mentioned outside of the country and is heavily downplayed within it. Especially when I consider how laser-focused the EU was on loving with our energy sector ever since the war in Ukraine begun.

poo poo's gonna get ugly this winter. Very ugly. And if the IMF deal goes through, it's gonna stay ugly.

time to burn the rakija for fuel

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i'm going to predict further inability of neoliberalism to address the problems it has created followed by further "reforms" that make the problem worse with all of this happening prior to or during a period of liberals supporting more and more reactionary positions and politicians

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

neoliberalism is going to go for that old crutch, A U S T E R I T Y

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

germanweimarliberalwithhimposter.jpg

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

spankmeister posted:

neoliberalism is going to go for that old crutch, A U S T E R I T Y

sorry, did you say fascism? Because oh my God we're in for some loving fascism now!!!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Venomous posted:

sorry, did you say fascism? Because oh my God we're in for some loving fascism now!!!

the highest ideal of the liberal politician is to install literal fascists and call it a "sensible, moderate compromise"

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

bedpan posted:

the highest ideal of the liberal politician is to install literal fascists and call it a "sensible, moderate compromise"

ah yes, the Hindenburg Principle

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Venomous posted:

ah yes, the Hindenburg Principle

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spankmeister posted:

time to burn the rakija for fuel

you misspelled "IMF bureaucrats"

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How many of you are excited to see left wing parties, labor unions and austerity protesters being labelled as putinist during the incoming winter?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if gas bills are a thousand euros a month it's not going to work anywhere but poland

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mans posted:

How many of you are excited to see left wing parties, labor unions and austerity protesters being labelled as putinist during the incoming winter?

idk, the ones that keep waving DNR flags around and keep calling Ukraine nazis might deserve it?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spankmeister posted:

idk, the ones that keep waving DNR flags around and keep calling Ukraine nazis might deserve it?

the ones who don't see any Ukrainian nazis will soon find "DNR flags" next to anyone complaining about the minimum wage and the gas prices.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.eu/article/poland-germany-pay-up/

lol hell yes

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mans posted:

I dont know in what country you are, but here in the Netherlands it is the fascists who support Putin
edit: and the left arent seen as supporting putin, important addition I guess

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 01:26 on Sep 2, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:pwn:

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
Next sunday is the general election here in sweden, and even if energy is a big question none of the parties want to make any promises in regards to helping people paying to keep electricity on during the winter. Electricity companies have even started to advise its customers to have a buffer of 1500-5000$ a month to be able to pay their bills. Gonna be fun to watch the economy grind to a halt because every last krona is going towards paying for electricity in december when the sun is up 6 hours a day.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ekuNNN posted:

I dont know in what country you are, but here in the Netherlands it is the fascists who support Putin

yea as we all know the truth is sacred to the shitlibs and they would never stoop to blatant lying

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

spankmeister posted:

you people deserve whats coming

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN posted:

That won't matter when the austerity train comes knocking and the EU has to decide between sustainable and rationable economic \ diplomatic options or (once again) cannibalizing the working class.

You could be the most fluffy social democrat who hates evil Putin, the moment you start protesting, it won't matter.

The last time we had an economic crisis, the entire periphery countries were labeled "GIPSI" and blamed for the entire debacle, you're seriously telling me that blaming this entire crisis on a third party (evil russia who made us voluntarily collapse our own economy) and their devious EU agents (anyone who doesn't agree with mass privatization and erosion of workers rights while losing 80% of their wages in rent and gas) isn't the most convenient and and obvious thing that will happen?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mans posted:

The last time we had an economic crisis, the entire periphery countries were labeled "GIPSI" and blamed for the entire debacle, you're seriously telling me that blaming this entire crisis on a third party (evil russia who made us voluntarily collapse our own economy) and their devious EU agents (anyone who doesn't agree with mass privatization and erosion of workers rights while losing 80% of their wages in rent and gas) isn't the most convenient and and obvious thing that will happen?

I forgot about GIPSI lol

anyway yes the EU is gonna repeatedly slam the cannibalize button like maniacs.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

my dad posted:

poo poo's gonna get ugly this winter. Very ugly. And if the IMF deal goes through, it's gonna stay ugly.

when is serbia getting elections, and what's it looking like?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
they did gave us the less euphemistic PIIG :smile:

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Mans posted:

That won't matter when the austerity train comes knocking and the EU has to decide between sustainable and rationable economic \ diplomatic options or (once again) cannibalizing the working class.

You could be the most fluffy social democrat who hates evil Putin, the moment you start protesting, it won't matter.

hell, we are already seeing them just turn the racism dial like a contestant on the price is right, just suspending the visa agreement to keep common russians out because uhhhhhhh i got nothing, sorry
how much we wanna bet theres gonna be a hell of a lot more problematic minorities to focus on in a few months instead of the failed policies bringing us to the brink of collapse?
we're already at the propaganda stage where you gotta take cold showers to own evil putin lmao

i mean these guys in charge got their way for 40 years and every crisis all they did was turn up the dial on nationalism and racism, no bookmaker will ever accept a bet on what happens this winter, lol

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://twitter.com/ivan_8848/status/1565067553671626760

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rhld41II391z0lvw3.mp4

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

:allears:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao

but also ew marrying a german, they like nude beaches

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
while it is not the most productive way to hurt the germans, it is at least hurting them

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

:sweden: :finland:

FT posted:

Sweden announces emergency support for energy producers

Swedish PM Magdalena Andersson said Russia’s decision to close the Nordstream 1 pipeline could lead to a “war winter”

Sweden will give emergency liquidity support to electricity producers as its prime minister warned that Russia’s decision to halt gas deliveries to Europe could place its financial system under severe strain. Magdalena Andersson said on Saturday that the government would offer hundreds of billions of kroner in support to electricity producers. Andersson warned that, left unchecked, rising collateral demands for electricity producers could ripple through the main Nasdaq Clearing market in Stockholm and, in the worst case, spark a financial crisis.

Her remarks came after Russia said on Friday evening that it would no longer supply gas via the Nordstream 1 pipeline. That announcement came after energy markets had closed for the weekend. “Yesterday’s announcement not only risks leading to a ‘war winter’ but also threatens our financial stability,” Andersson said, standing alongside Sweden’s financial regulator, central bank governor and finance minister at an emergency press conference on Saturday. Shortly afterwards, Finnish finance minister Annika Saarikko said on Twitter that her country would also act. “The concern is shared. Similar preparations are already well underway in Finland,” Saarikko tweeted. The dramatic actions underscored the seriousness of the situation facing Europe as it scrambles to secure enough energy ahead of the winter and tries to avoid the spread of distress among electricity producers. Germany has already bailed out Uniper, one of the country’s biggest utilities, and its majority shareholder, Finnish energy group Fortum, has asked the government in Helsinki for support. Fortum warned on Monday that its collateral requirements had risen by €1bn to €5bn in the previous week, and that a default by a smaller player would cause “severe disturbances to the Nordic power system”.

Andersson said the support would apply to all Nordic and Baltic players, and would need approval by the Swedish parliament’s finance committee on Monday. “We need to isolate this in one market so it doesn’t infect the financial sector,” said Stefan Ingves, governor of the Riksbank, Sweden’s central bank. The Swedish authorities said they saw no immediate risk to financial stability, but were worried that otherwise-solvent companies could struggle to find enough liquidity, causing potential ripple effects. “Russia is waging an energy war against Europe to divide us. But we will not let Putin succeed,” Andersson said. Andersson’s comments come a week before parliamentary elections in Sweden with polls pointing to a tight outcome. She said her centre-left government stood ready to act, just as it did over the Covid-19 pandemic. Erik Thedéen, head of Sweden’s Financial Supervisory Authority, said power prices in Sweden had risen 11-fold in the past year, leading to a jump in collateral demands. He added that without liquidity support electricity producers could face bankruptcies and large losses that could lead to the collapse of the clearing house. “It is under very severe stress,” he said.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
this can only mean 2 war world is just around the corner

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ekuNNN posted:

the dutch are all fascists so how the gently caress can you even tell?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

lollontee posted:

when is serbia getting elections, and what's it looking like?

Didn't see your post until now. We had them this year. It looks the same as before them. Some laws were changed to make sure nobody new gets their foot in the door, but that's about it.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

waging an energy war = not selling to your enemy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doktor Avalanche posted:

waging an energy war = not selling to your enemy

this is your brain on capitalism

Honestly it seems more that westerners literally cannot conceive of post-Soviet Russia and China being anything other than subject states who exist in a state of at best de facto colonisation and exist to provide cheap labour and resources, and the idea that they have actual leverage is a source of constant confusion and rage as they cannot internalise this

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly it seems more that westerners literally cannot conceive of post-Soviet Russia and China being anything other than subject states who exist in a state of at best de facto colonisation and exist to provide cheap labour and resources, and the idea that they have actual leverage is a source of constant confusion and rage as they cannot internalise this

this lol. the idea that we would be forced to compromise, because of material realities, is literally inconceivable to europeans. no, we're only supposed to compromise out of our own pity abnd will, while staring down at a broken enemy!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

their brains similarly broke when the saudis used oil against the west as a weapon when the west backed israel in the 70s but they worked a deal out in the end.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I'm not sure how deep down the organizational pyramid the brainrot goes but i think that that poo poo about the energy war is just the justification they came up with after the fact. the truth of the matter is that we are basically still occupied countries and, much like japan in the 70s got told to torpedo its own economy... or else, we got the same order. we are not, and never were in the position to refuse, we just were lucky it was not required of us until now

there is absolutely a ton of propaganda that obfuscates this material reality for liberals to gobble up, but i would bet that the higher ups know the deal.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
japan in the 80s, but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

mortons stork posted:

i would bet that the higher ups know the deal.

I'm not so sure.