Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/jbandos/status/1562988282748608513?s=21&t=n7PyLPyD5lE-zxqf11EPYg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Danny Devito: I love my daughter and am Satan

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

One wonders if/when they’re going to bring up the trist ol’ Kitey had back in the day with John Cena Peacemaker. As horny as they are for James Gunn I’d be amazed for them not to.

Also what gives with all the real people/celebs in this season? I don’t remember that being nearly as much of a thing before.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Warbird posted:

One wonders if/when they’re going to bring up the trist ol’ Kitey had back in the day with John Cena Peacemaker. As horny as they are for James Gunn I’d be amazed for them not to.

They've dunked on the State of Israel - or effectively have done so - a number of times, I'm not sure if they want to join in with Cena's ability to turn Taiwan invisible.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Two eps in to Little Demon, and it's... okay? It hasn't dug very deep for anything yet, but I'm willing to keep watching to see what it does.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Madurai posted:

Two eps in to Little Demon, and it's... okay? It hasn't dug very deep for anything yet, but I'm willing to keep watching to see what it does.

Same.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'll add in that despite Aubrey Plaza only running at about 30% capacity, she's still the best part of it.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Everyone is pretty unlikable so far. We really need some kind of hook, that really humanizes some of the characters.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.
If I recall liking Golan the Insatiable would I like this?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
S3 of Solar Opposites....so Roiland is bored with the aliens right? Felt like the entire thing is random side plots now.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Probably a little of that along with people loving The Wall so much that they wanted to recapture it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

a lovely king posted:

S3 of Solar Opposites....so Roiland is bored with the aliens right? Felt like the entire thing is random side plots now.

I'm getting the feeling he ends up with really good ideas for jokes then can't figure out what to do with the characters after he's made his best jokes. He should make 2-3 season long shows and just keep switching off, or a show that changes every season with a new cast and concept.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

a lovely king posted:

The fact that the Wall storyline ended on episode 10 with full on blue balls through episode 11 was some bullshit. :argh:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

PicklePants posted:

Everyone is pretty unlikable so far. We really need some kind of hook, that really humanizes some of the characters.

I think the issue is that we are supposed to actually like some of the characters. If it fully embraced them being assholes, it'd work better. The jokes are also a bit weak.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s just the exact same style of humor as Rick & Morty but without any of the substance of Rick & Morty that makes it heartfelt or special, IMO. Great plot devices and the show looks great but it feels more like American Dad style writing than the superior Harmon voice of sad, lonely reason. I enjoyed the first two seasons of the SO but honestly couldn’t tell you the first thing about it besides The Wall, I can’t remember a single plot hook.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of new projects, Justin Roiland has a new animated special coming to Hulu in October. It is based on a failed pilot he made for Fox back in 2009. Titled The Paloni Show! Halloween Special! It will star Roiland, Zach Hadel and Pamela Adlon as a family putting together a homemade variety show which will showcase animated shorts from various people.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of new projects, Justin Roiland has a new animated special coming to Hulu in October. It is based on a failed pilot he made for Fox back in 2009. Titled The Paloni Show! Halloween Special! It will star Roiland, Zach Hadel and Pamela Adlon as a family putting together a homemade variety show which will showcase animated shorts from various people.

Oh hey, I worked on this! Just one segment, but good to know it's coming out so soon! I haven't been able to show anything since 2019. :qq:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
solar opposites is fine, its rick and morty but without the promise of some kind of long plot to retroactively justify all the wacky bullshit

the wall is the soap opera long plot, meanwhile the aliens all run for congress or turn each others heads into planets or whatever random nonsense. its fun dont worry about it, just have a good time watching silly cartoon. not everything has to be a commentary on life and meaning

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nothing wrong with a wake and bake Saturday morning cartoon, just lean into it. A lot of Adult Swim's catalog works well for this. Don't tell me Aqua TV Show Show had a plot worth discussing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Comparing it to Aqua Teen is weird to me, ATHF has always been funny. Solar Opposites is just kind of there I guess.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I wasn't comparing their quality I was comparing their genre of a show best enjoyed not caring about the overall plot and just enjoying the ride. Aqua Teen is very good at that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
S3E8 of Harley Quinn was good. Too bad it took more than half the season to become watchable.

"I had a few weird years."

"Rich people insurance doesn't have co-pays."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

solar opposites somehow manages to have an even more loose and unrestrained idea of what technology can do than rick and morty does, which is pretty funny. i like that they not only treat tech like magic but go out of their way to have tech that openly defies the concept of being restricted or that the show needs to come up with anything resembling an explanation for it

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ninjewtsu posted:

solar opposites somehow manages to have an even more loose and unrestrained idea of what technology can do than rick and morty does, which is pretty funny. i like that they not only treat tech like magic but go out of their way to have tech that openly defies the concept of being restricted or that the show needs to come up with anything resembling an explanation for it

No! No more rays! For the Pupa!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like Solar Opposites because it doesn’t have the heavy weight of Rick sitting in the middle of everything. R&M is fine, and I enjoy it too, but a lot circles around Rick, or his nihilistic presence can be a bit wearing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I didn't even know Solar Opposites was back until just now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite thing about Solar Opposites is how often they'll just run with a dumb thing. Like how in the most recent season they decided that the aliens' last name was Opposites.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's not very Solar Opposites. :colbert:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I couldn't get into Solar Opposites at all. Just didn't like any of the characters and all the jokes felt like stuff that didn't make it into Rick and Morty. Also the cursing felt very forced.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

tiffany hadish (tuca in tuca & bertie) is apparently dealing with a lawsuit over inappropriate conduct with a 7 yo and 14 yo (it involves filming them for skits in ways they found uncomfortable or weren't adequately prepared for, something to that effect). apparently one of the skits (titled "through the eyes of a pedophile") was bad/gross enough that Funny or Die deleted it.

she is claiming it's meritless and a shakedown. just something i saw in my feed.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 2, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The 7th Guest posted:

tiffany hadish (tuca in tuca & bertie) is apparently dealing with a lawsuit over inappropriate conduct with a 7 yo and 14 yo (it involves filming them for skits in ways they found uncomfortable or weren't adequately prepared for, something to that effect). apparently one of the skits (titled "through the eyes of a pedophile") was bad/gross enough that Funny or Die deleted it.

she is claiming it's meritless and a shakedown. just something i saw in my feed.

Been reading about this. Either way it's a pretty bad look. :cripes:

Edit: fyi, Haddish is also one of Tuca and Bertie's producers.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Got around to catching Pantheon’s first couple of episodes and it’s a pretty interesting ride out of the gate. There is a short story I don’t remember the name of about some grad student whose brain scan becomes basically a VM template for all simulated human consciousness in the future and the implications of that whole mess that seems to have been at least a partial inspiration for the story here. Seems promising.

Das Boo, is that comic book cover in the first episode or is that coming up later?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
She’s an awesome comic but it’s an open secret that she’s pretty much an alcoholic and shows up to work kinda drunk a lot, or at least she used to as of a couple years ago. Hopefully these things are not related.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Warbird posted:

Got around to catching Pantheon’s first couple of episodes and it’s a pretty interesting ride out of the gate. There is a short story I don’t remember the name of about some grad student whose brain scan becomes basically a VM template for all simulated human consciousness in the future and the implications of that whole mess that seems to have been at least a partial inspiration for the story here. Seems promising.

Das Boo, is that comic book cover in the first episode or is that coming up later?

Episode 4! I know the series is an adaptation of Ken Liu's work, though I admit I don't know which one the main draw is from. My brand of sci-fi is really specific, so it's rare I explore the genre on my own. :sweatdrop:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The 7th Guest posted:

she's kind of a nut

quote:

An offshoot of Haddish's goal-oriented nature is that she enjoys soliciting and giving life-improvement tips—a trait that makes her a captivating, natural spokeswoman. She is as confident and specific with her counsel as a spam e-mail, and she can be unnervingly persuasive—even when her advice is to drink poison.

“A teaspoon of turpentine will not kill you,” says Haddish with the breezy confidence of an unlicensed doctor. “The government doesn't want you to know that if you have a cold, just take some turpentine with some sugar or castor oil or honey and it'll go away the next day.”

I didn't think humans could consume turpentine.

“Honey,” begins Haddish, “back during slavery—let me teach you something, okay?”

Per Haddish, in the absence of 19th-century medical care, slaves drank turpentine—an oil distilled from pine resin, today commonly used as a paint thinner—as a cure-all for various ailments. When I note that slaves were not known for their excellent health, Haddish flips my argument into evidence: That's because not all the slaves had access to turpentine.

“There's worms inside your body,” says Haddish.

How

“There are worms inside your body.”

Haddish explains that she learned about the alleged medical benefits of turpentine on YouTube and purchased some on Amazon a few months ago.

After her first dose, she says, “everything just felt so much better, clarity-wise.”

You were light-headed from drinking poison.

“But I was killing the game onstage!” she says, laughing. “My thought patterns was coming quick, quick, quick. Girl, you just look it up. Just do the research.”

I do look it up, because I'm genuinely worried America's brightest new star may be inadvertently poisoning herself to death. I send Haddish information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine outlining the dangers of turpentine poisoning, but when we talk again a few days after our whale watch, she is unconcerned. “The government wrote it,” she says of the research. “Honey.”

She vows to update me on her health following her next doctor's appointment. The other thing Haddish says about turpentine: It will make your body pass “the best doo-doo of your loving life.”

https://www.gq.com/story/tiffany-haddish-profile-2018

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Ah, so she's not acting when she records her lines for Tuca.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

honestly as much as that show works and is good, i am not shocked at all by this.

then again. i couldnt get into bojack because i kinda hated everyone but todd. which i guess is part of the point but idk.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

That's not "kinda nuts" that's "will kill children if given the chance" dangerous idiocy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This article is a loving ride.

I can't stop reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Speaking of Solar Opposites, Haddish is the voice of the ship's computer on that show too.