Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ytlaya posted:

On the topic of shounen tropes and Naruto, one genuinely unusual thing in that series is the fact that the protagonist's love interest - who remains his love interest for most of the series - is never genuinely interested in him and ends up with his rival. And then the protagonist ends up with a member of the supporting cast with a pretty limited role in the story.

I didn't realize it at the time, but in hindsight that's actually extremely uncommon. I don't know if I can think if any similar examples. I think it's mostly a result of Naruto just not having romance as a significant element, but most series either ignore it entirely (like in Jujutsu Kaisen) or go the standard "there's an obvious love interest who obviously reciprocates the protagonists feelings" route.

sakura was never naruto's love interest, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

sakura was never naruto's love interest, op

My vague memory of early Naruto is that Naruto had the hots for Sakura who had the hots for Sasuke who had the hots for Naruto.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I stopped reading Naruto around the time skip but very early Naruto was definitely interested in Sakura. Then Sasuke left and Naruto became way more obsessed with him than he ever was with Sakura.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Sasuke who had the hots for Naruto.

I think I'd be able to stand this overplayed joke more if Sasuke just had any kind of human interaction with anyone besides Naruto. I'm fine with the joke when it's about Naruto crushing on the Sauce, but not the other way around because he's always acting and behaving like an utter tool.

On the subject of Sakura, a lot of people became resigned to her and Sasuke ending up together by the time she saw Sasuke off when he left Konoha, since who the hell else is Sasuke going to end up with? The Sasuke and Sai arc was a lot of things, all of which were obnoxious, and one of which was reinforcing this idea that Sakura can't think of anybody besides Sasuke, and Kishimoto wasn't nearly the writer to engender hope of a swerve or meaningful competition - especially when the competition we did get was a joke coming at the expense of Sasuke fangirls. So past that point, NaruSaku teases like the false confession and Kushina just seem like empty gestures serving only to agitate the readerbase.

And yet somehow we still have this thing because people are just so sworn to the "main hero hooks up with main girl" truism that they refuse to read the writing on the wall that Kishimoto has no plans to kill Sasuke or salvage Sakura's character.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 2, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
What even is the basis of the Naruto/Sakura pairing? That he had a crush on her at the start of the manga? Sakura barely even knows him until after the time-skip.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

What even is the basis of the Naruto/Sakura pairing? That he had a crush on her at the start of the manga? Sakura barely even knows him until after the time-skip.

projection for the readers' own unrequired crushes in high school

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Just before Naruto heads to war, Sakura confronts him and tries to make him stop chasing Sasuke by saying she doesn't love him anymore so Naruto doesn't have to uphold his promise to bring him back, and she now loves Naruto, trying to invoke his childhood crush on her

He doesn't buy it for a moment, but NaruSaku shippers will take whatever scraps they can get and feed on it for decades after

Some of the Shippuden movies have a fair bit of Naruto/Sakura sub-subtext as well, mostly because Sasuke isn't in most of them (and it's still mostly only friendship, but again, beggars can't be choosers)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Remember that time Naruto was freaking out, just absolutely losing it in a more normal, social way, that Sasuke was branded a terrorist just because he attacked world leaders, and so Sakura decided that the only way to make it better was to tell Naruto that she loved him and that she didn't care about Sasuke anymore, because she thought that it would make him happy and thus be anxious about Sasuke getting hunted down. He was so pissed off at her lying ot his face, not because she was trying to emotionally manipulate him during his weakest moment, but because obviously she still loves Sasuke who wouldn't?

And then he passed out in the snow from a severe anxiety attack.

e: FB! HOW DID YOU loving TELL THAT BIT A MINUTE BEFORE ME??

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Naruto seems bad

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

hatty posted:

Naruto seems bad

Week-to-week, absolutely, but as a whole, it's pretty drat solid (although yes, in some of the later longer arcs it becomes thin peaks and wide valleys) but some of the payoffs are absolutely fantastic

Early on, Sasuke called Naruto a coward ("You're not afraid, are you?") which Naruto turned back on him a few arcs later ("What's the matter, scaredy-cat?")

Then in the middle of the war several hundred chapters later, when Naruto's despairing, Sasuke pulls his rear end out of the fire with "Throwing in the towel already? 'Cuz I'm not."

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Naruto's dad shows up and asks if Sakura is his GF bc she's so similar to his mom. Naruto says yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJf2gKvKuqM

Kild fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 2, 2022

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really don't agree that it's good as a whole but early naruto is. there's a reason people liked it so much

naruto and bleach are kinda similar in that it's at its best at the start and gets worse every arc until the end which is overly long and bad. bleach is worse tho

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 2, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Personally, Naruto was the first anime where I was very cognizant of how bad the pacing was, even in the early years.

Yeah, those first episodes: good poo poo.

Zabuza arc: Man, this is just a few episodes too long, huh?

Chunin exam: Jesus, how many episodes for a single fight? Why isn't anything happening?

Also:

oh jay posted:

I suggest posting Naruto spoilers instead. No one cares about those.

oh jay posted:

gently caress

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Rock Lee vs Gaara was great though (minus the very end of course)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I like how most of this thread's postcount is talking about Naruto and Bleach instead :V

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

hatty posted:

Naruto seems bad

Yes and no. The first 244 chapters are filled with top-tier shonen storytelling, fights and characters. It's the stuff after that which starts degrading and drifts into a whole lot of bullshit and wasted time, though occssionally intersperced with some really good fights and a handful of good characters. Then we hit the 450 mark or so, and it's all awful until the end at 700.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bleach went to poo poo much faster than Naruto, the moment they're in Soul Society things start falling apart and it wasn't all that well put together to begin with.

Naruto took like ten chapters after the timeskip for the rot to have really set in.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Funky Valentine posted:

Naruto took like ten chapters after the timeskip for the rot to have really set in.

I wouldn't be that extreme. Gaara Rescue is filled with a lot of wasted time, namely the clone fights and the looping Deidara chase scene, but I still love Gaara vs Deidara, Sakura's sudden ascent to competence and likability, and Chiyo and Sasori's whole story alongside Sakura and Chiyo vs Sasori fight. The rot is really in the Sasuke and Sai arc afterwards, which is just soooooo many shades of awful and stupid for what ends up being "WOW SASUKE'S TIMESKIP DESIGN SO COOOOOOOL".

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 2, 2022

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Worth it because we got the ultimate ninja storm series. Might have my favorite boss fights in any series.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FireWorksWell posted:

Worth it because we got the ultimate ninja storm series. Might have my favorite boss fights in any series.

CyberConnect did miracles with those games.

Yes everything surrounding the Ten Tails is impossibly stupid and sudden BUT WHO GIVES A poo poo NARUTO, SASUKE, AND SAKURA JUST SUMMONED THEIR OWN SUMMONS AND NOW YOU'RE PLAYING AS GAMAKICHI RUNNING ALONG SASUKE'S SNAKE PAL AND NOW GAMAKICHI JUST PITCHED NARUTO LIKE A loving BASEBALL AND

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Funky Valentine posted:

CyberConnect did miracles with those games.

Yes everything surrounding the Ten Tails is impossibly stupid and sudden BUT WHO GIVES A poo poo NARUTO, SASUKE, AND SAKURA JUST SUMMONED THEIR OWN SUMMONS AND NOW YOU'RE PLAYING AS GAMAKICHI RUNNING ALONG SASUKE'S SNAKE PAL AND NOW GAMAKICHI JUST PITCHED NARUTO LIKE A loving BASEBALL AND

Man, remember when the Sannin were treated like the strongest ninjas out there?

I'm still mad at how Kishi mishandled Hanzo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Bleach went to poo poo much faster than Naruto, the moment they're in Soul Society things start falling apart and it wasn't all that well put together to begin with.

I think in a vacuum, soul society is good. if kubo had taken different lessons from it we might remember ss differently. but you can draw a lot of bleach's problems back to that arc

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Bleach would have been better if after SS it stayed Ichigo and his weirdo townie friends getting super powers to fight evil ghosts/invading ghost samurai/invading ghost samurai who are also evil ghosts.

but Bleach is still better than the dreck this comic has become. Even in the blood war arc as the author and manga were falling apart I could understand why someone might give a poo poo about their favorite character showing up to help. No one in MHA but Deku has mattered for years and years at this point and even now at the end all their big hero moments are getting no sold by the bad guys. When the sky opened up and GRIMMJOW JAEGERJAQUEZ walks through he at least gets to have a fight to himself and win it.

Jirou showed up, got her own big moment upstaged by the Whills that make up quirks and then it turned out it was pointless.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't want Bleach to be better, then it wouldn't be Bleach.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Bleach would have been better if after SS it stayed Ichigo and his weirdo townie friends getting super powers to fight evil ghosts/invading ghost samurai/invading ghost samurai who are also evil ghosts.

but Bleach is still better than the dreck this comic has become. Even in the blood war arc as the author and manga were falling apart I could understand why someone might give a poo poo about their favorite character showing up to help. No one in MHA but Deku has mattered for years and years at this point and even now at the end all their big hero moments are getting no sold by the bad guys. When the sky opened up and GRIMMJOW JAEGERJAQUEZ walks through he at least gets to have a fight to himself and win it.

Jirou showed up, got her own big moment upstaged by the Whills that make up quirks and then it turned out it was pointless.

I mean that was a lot of the blood war arc. All these characters having a moment only to get no sold the very next panel by characters with stupid abilities in bland panels where you can barely understand what’s going on.

I think the absolute worst of it was that Mexican wrestler guy and then the fights with the top four commanders/ plus everything the boss did or said

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Delphisage posted:

And yet somehow we still have this thing because people are just so sworn to the "main hero hooks up with main girl" truism that they refuse to read the writing on the wall that Kishimoto has no plans to kill Sasuke or salvage Sakura's character.

Lmao what the gently caress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4266/my-hero-academia-chapter-365

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
lmao was it really necessary to rip another one of her limbs off

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Delphisage posted:

So people don't have to pass through 600 brain melting pics I pretty much grabbed the best one for you all:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think someone hit it on the head that maiming Mirko is Horikoshi's fetish. I think it's pretty funny that even down 3 limbs she's beating Shiggy's rear end so badly he's reverting to Tenko but its really annoying that this is still having to be prefaced with him being distracted. Just let her kick his rear end because she's a badass Hori, it's not going to make him look like less of a gary stu.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Maybe I'm just tired but I can't really parse this. I thought Edgeshot was going to just straight up replace Bakugo's heart, which was stupid but at least made some kind of sense. Instead he's... sewing his organs... back together? After his heart exploded? Meanwhile, Amajiki's loving zoo-powered railgun did absolutely nothing but Mirko kicking Shigaraki really really hard did cause him pain and now he's worried enough that he's manifesting his dead family as ugly clay-looking people out of his weird gross arm? I just don't know what's happening anymore.

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022
It's not Mirko, it's that Bakugo's attack had an effect he's only noticing now

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

CuwiKhons posted:

Maybe I'm just tired but I can't really parse this. I thought Edgeshot was going to just straight up replace Bakugo's heart, which was stupid but at least made some kind of sense. Instead he's... sewing his organs... back together? After his heart exploded? Meanwhile, Amajiki's loving zoo-powered railgun did absolutely nothing but Mirko kicking Shigaraki really really hard did cause him pain and now he's worried enough that he's manifesting his dead family as ugly clay-looking people out of his weird gross arm? I just don't know what's happening anymore.

I think what's happening is Edgeshot is essentially turning himself into organic super-sutures, rebuilding Bakugo's heart while simultaneously keeping blood flowing throughout Bakugo's body, but this will ultimately kill him because he's spreading himself too thin (ha) to maintain consciousness. Maybe Best Jeanist will have to finish the job now that he's done tourniqueting Mirko's stumps?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

lmao was it really necessary to rip another one of her limbs off

at this point why not really

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

donotpost posted:

It's not Mirko, it's that Bakugo's attack had an effect he's only noticing now

Oh, you know what, I couldn't tell that was upside down Bakugo in that one panel until I took another look at it. It didn't read very well with how grayed out it is. Okay, so Bakugo did something to Shigs and now he's vulnerable to being kicked in the face I guess.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Honestly incredible to get to the point where tearing off yet another limb of a well-liked character, who the author says is his favorite, is not just expected but boring and perfunctory. the first time it was neat, now it's just the black knight gag stretched to unbelievable length. Also given that he's previously explicitly nonlethally hosed with people's insides it seems silly that edgeshot's dangerous technique is to let him nonlethally tinker with someone's insides, but whatever.

all of this is whatever, it's fine. Horikoshi can't portray this fight compellingly enough, even with the arbitrary declaration that AFO is vulnerable now, to overcome the feeling that we're just killing time until deku arrives.

Also lmao that shigaraki has to explicitly say "no, this isn't about them accumulating enough damage on me that it finally counts." can't wait to learn what it really was in three or four weeks!

Valentin fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 2, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AFO orbital laser to the rescue

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I tend to mentally compare Mirko to Rip Van Winkle a whole lot, but I don't think even Hirano would enjoy maiming his fetish amalgamation so gorily. But then again, he did still have her die in a hypersexualized way of getting impaled with her rifle and then lothario'd by Alucard, so it's not really that much further of a leap Hori's taking.

Also, LOL at AFO's weakness being "if he's afraid, his regen doesn't work".

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mirko will become a nugget by the end of the series revealing hori's sickest fetish yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Delphisage posted:

I tend to mentally compare Mirko to Rip Van Winkle a whole lot, but I don't think even Hirano would enjoy maiming his fetish amalgamation so gorily. But then again, he did still have her die in a hypersexualized way of getting impaled with her rifle and then lothario'd by Alucard, so it's not really that much further of a leap Hori's taking.

Also, LOL at AFO's weakness being "if he's afraid, his regen doesn't work".

It took me a bit to realize you weren't talking about the story of Rip van Winkle but another manga.