Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It does improve (although Urianger will always talk like that because he swallowed an old dictionary as a child). They do still have these little phrases they love you use a lot though ("much and more")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My number one language irritation is how often they use "countless" for any large number (and sometimes even pretty small numbers). You sound be counting how many of your troops died, guys.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Final Fantasy Folk love to say “must needs”.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like the word "selfsame"

S.J. posted:

I honestly hope limit breaks are something that individual jobs get access to as part of their roation that's separate from the party meter. Or, like, Trance or something similar.

The level 90 skills feel like limit breaks tbh.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
when it comes to dungeon lb, whatever efficiency you worry about has to be measured against the most likely outcome of no one using an lb, so don't worry about it too much

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Qwertycoatl posted:

It does improve (although Urianger will always talk like that because he swallowed an old dictionary as a child). They do still have these little phrases they love you use a lot though ("much and more")

sassassin posted:

My number one language irritation is how often they use "countless" for any large number (and sometimes even pretty small numbers). You sound be counting how many of your troops died, guys.

All of the Japanese and English text is a rough approximate translation from the original Eorzean, which is a much more expressive language.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I like "from the first"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Saya's adventures continue!

In particular I was running around doing sidequests around La Noscea; I liked the world building and some of them have goodies like emotes that are of STRATEGIC VALUE ABSOLUTE.

It's surprising to me that I can go to like any quest hub and see late game players and their outrageous cosplay and awesome mounts :D

After this I ventured into the Copperbell Mines with my friends:

I keep getting left behind as I read the pop ups or take time to get screenshots :smith:

"Hans are we the baddies?"

For something named after a many armed demon from greek mythology I feel like they're a little of a let down.

But surely though they will give us a challenging fight? Right?

Nope.

Look at this dork and his hair

I run off to the Lancer's guild in Gridania as my friends have convinced me that *if* I am going to be running around doing sidequests,
I might as well do them on a side job to level up more efficiently, and I know the Lancer job has some plot relevant story to it for Heavensward:

LolthlorienGridania is spooky

Guild Clerk: "Hey, a real bad boy hottie is up ahead, whatever you do don't flirt with him."
Saya: "I'm not going to flirt with him!"

A minute later:

"Oh no... He's hot"

But anyways check out my new digs!

I learn the mating dance of the Gridanian people

Which coincidentily calls over a nearby Elezen:

"Who the gently caress are you?"

Later, Foulques puts me through the wringer, which I'm sure is his way of woo'ing me.

Okay, kidnapping and conducting human sacrifice to show your affection is going too far you goddamned yandere!

"If you keep kidnapping people I'mma get really mad!" I think that worked :shobon:

I hop on a boat back to Limsa to do side quests and get some really cool screenshots:

And flirt with every miqote I come across,

This one is sadly a criminal :(

This one is a drunk :(

And this one is welsh :(

At one point during the side quests I see this dude, and yikes,

So you're telling me, you had a peace treaty with the Kobolds, which you violated,
and then when they eventually got angry with you over it, you've suddenly decided
that "peace was never an option"!?

And then after committing some light war crimes in the mines I finish things off doing some fishing with one of my friends

You know, to get my mind off of things and relax! :unsmith:

He wants to take on the fishing boat thingy, so I do some quests to unlock it and get some new digs:

These two Lalafel have some kind of manzai boke and tsukkomi routine going and its hilarious.

Sadly we missed the boat :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Saya's adventures continue!
This is cute, keep posting these.

Ruzihm posted:

I like "from the first"
Anyroads, what were we talking about?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Electric Phantasm posted:

The level 90 skills feel like limit breaks tbh.

You know that's pretty fair.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Hello everyone I'm a level 45 Marauder who just got their chocobo last evening. Game good but there's a lot that distracts me from the main quest. Thancred seems like a jackass

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I like that Heavensward spreads gathering nodes out a bit, but it's still this weird thing of "This resource only spawns in this specific area with these specific other resources, you'll never find a vein of iron in the Mythril Zone"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

goblin week posted:

Hello everyone I'm a level 45 Marauder
You should follow the quest the Marauder boss gave you to meet Curious Gorge and become a Level 45 Warrior instead. It's literally just Marauder But Better.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

girl dick energy posted:

You should follow the quest the Marauder boss gave you to meet Curious Gorge and become a Level 45 Warrior instead. It's literally just Marauder But Better.

Call that a level 50 warrior! Man this guy really has some issues. :/

I think the +100% XP thing is spoiling me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

goblin week posted:

Call that a level 50 warrior! Man this guy really has some issues. :/

I think the +100% XP thing is spoiling me.

Don't worry, the XP bonus only lasts until you hit the last expansion pack's levels, then you're on your own.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

goblin week posted:

Hello everyone I'm a level 45 Marauder who just got their chocobo last evening. Game good but there's a lot that distracts me from the main quest. Thancred seems like a jackass

Thancred is a jackass and I hope he gets dunked on forever

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The scions make a bad impression in ARR, both as individuals and as an organisation. They're basically overpaid and overpraised consultants and middle managers who pat themselves on the back from cushy advisory positions while we do all the dirty work.

Thancred is cool though because at least he's aware and apologetic about how much he fucks things up. Easily a top three scion.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Early on it feels like the scions don't have a personality and spend most of their time relaxing in the waking sands while they send you on errands. I'm glad they get much much better later on.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

They've been (one of the things) holding me back from playing. I seem to be away from it for now, but there was a good couple months where I'd log in, play for 2~3 hours and in the end all I accomplished was having a single, complete conversation between 3 people and spending far too long waiting in load screens.

Not super conductive to making me want to log in.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 4, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Characterization is something they struggled with a lot early on, partly due to the timetable of getting ARR out the door, and partly due to them having to inherit most of the original 1.0 cast, who were already barely character sketches as it was. ARR has the feeling of something more like an early FF games where everyone has a single given archetype with no deviation or deeper character, and it takes until the end of the post-ARR MSQ for that to change.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Qwertycoatl posted:

Early on it feels like the scions don't have a personality and spend most of their time relaxing in the waking sands while they send you on errands. I'm glad they get much much better later on.

They also relax in other places while you do errands!

A big part of why Heavensward is so good is that for the first time in the game it actually feels like you have a JRPG party.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

sassassin posted:

A big part of why Heavensward is so good is that for the first time in the game it actually feels like you have a JRPG party.

I'm running a FFXIVxDnD game loosely following the plot of ARR and I'm struggling with what to do once we finish that and want to move on to HW. I love the Scions and other party members, but if I have them play the same role as in the real game then there's going to be a lot of me talking to myself in different voices and that's no fun for anyone.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Syka posted:

I'm running a FFXIVxDnD game loosely following the plot of ARR and I'm struggling with what to do once we finish that and want to move on to HW. I love the Scions and other party members, but if I have them play the same role as in the real game then there's going to be a lot of me talking to myself in different voices and that's no fun for anyone.

Just narrate all of those scenes (in Edmont’s voice).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Just narrate all of those scenes (in Edmont’s voice).
:hmmyes:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Now that I’ve hit 80 I’ve realised how spoiled I was by the Road to 80 xp buff.

I Managed to pretty trivially get one of each role to 80 by a little after mid SB so I could more-or-less do each of the role quests as soon as story progression let me. I get the impression that’s going to take a bit more of a concerted effort for the last 10 levels though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The good news is that EW role quests are completely optional, and only unlock the ability to dye your artifact gear and a capstone series of quests to tie up loose ends after you’ve done all five and the 6.0 main story.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Regalingualius posted:

The good news is that EW role quests are completely optional, and only unlock the ability to dye your artifact gear

And can I just say THANK YOU for finally making it so easy to get Dyeable AF, CBU3? The bullshit we had to go through to get dyeable versions of previous AFs were extremely frusrating.

Every item should be dyeable immediately IMO.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And can I just say THANK YOU for finally making it so easy to get Dyeable AF, CBU3? The bullshit we had to go through to get dyeable versions of previous AFs were extremely frusrating.

Every item should be dyeable immediately IMO.
Or at least the item not being dyeable should be for interesting reasons (I.E. the Prototype Gordian/Alexandrian gear being the stuff you get from non-Savage.)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
IMO that's not actually an interesting reason and on a meta level it's the same justification why AF was only dyeable after jumping through hoops before (adding an incentive for people playing the harder/different content).

I'm fine with undyeable items from stuff like new dungeons or ally raids, if they become dyeable once the models get reused in later content like dungeon gear and crafted sets of future patches and expansions. Sadly, some great sets have never been reused, sometimes the re-release is fixed dyes again, or the gear is only available to completely different jobs (eg. the Plague Bringer/Doctor caster/healer stuff from HW is dyeable crafter-only gear in ShB). And sometimes the dyeable parts just look terrible so being unable to dye it is not a great loss.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Still upset the Aurum Chasuble's dyeable versions are healer-only, cuts down on the color palette I can use for using it with my BLM. Though, honestly, the base color is pretty good for BLM.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

orcane posted:

IMO that's not actually an interesting reason and on a meta level it's the same justification why AF was only dyeable after jumping through hoops before (adding an incentive for people playing the harder/different content).

I'm fine with undyeable items from stuff like new dungeons or ally raids, if they become dyeable once the models get reused in later content like dungeon gear and crafted sets of future patches and expansions. Sadly, some great sets have never been reused, sometimes the re-release is fixed dyes again, or the gear is only available to completely different jobs (eg. the Plague Bringer/Doctor caster/healer stuff from HW is dyeable crafter-only gear in ShB). And sometimes the dyeable parts just look terrible so being unable to dye it is not a great loss.

It's good that raid armor dying is Savage only IMO.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You should be able to glam any gather/craft gear onto combat classes though. I NEED that alchemist coat.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zaggitz posted:

You should be able to glam any gather/craft gear onto combat classes though. I NEED that alchemist coat.

Way back when I first started playing, I leveled culinarian specifically so I could be a combat chef :negative:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Begemot posted:

Way back when I first started playing, I leveled culinarian specifically so I could be a combat chef :negative:

Best I can do is combat barista.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dareon posted:

Best I can do is combat barista.

Tell me more.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Relyssa posted:

Tell me more.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

This appeals to me deeply for reasons I don't quite understand.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I can't find a link to the full video but Estinien's VA Robert Vernon did a memorable commercial for Subway

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/mc_duder/status/1441560477369192450?s=20&t=UAL9PeCmSuouNhGGR_Q2rg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

First of all, lady, LOL, second of all,

Look at this little scholar! :3: