Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Elviscat posted:

We just had a dude on another shift pass away, and his supervisor calling emergency services was what got the Staties to find his car at the trailhead and initiate SAR for him.

I understand that calling the police can be a big moral issue, but if I've been calling you and your emergency contact for a couple shifts, I'm at least going to make sure you're alive one way or another, again, because Motronic refuses to recognize any context clues in a heavily abbreviated story, after exhausting all other forms of contact.

Like, all you have to do is text me, or one of your 20 peers, or my boss or whoever else you have contact info for "can't come in, sick" or "gently caress you I hate you, I quit and I'm not turning in the computer".

I don't think you understand how traumatic it can be when someone knocks on your door. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think it sort of depends on your work environment: I get on well with my boss, so if he came round to check I was OK, I wouldn’t be that upset. If my PI had done that when I worked in the lab, I’d have completely lost my poo poo, largely because he was a complete bastard.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lately I have gently caress all to do because every time I actually manage to get people to sit down for a scheduling meeting it gets really piecemeal. I'm gonna make the brown ale next week so I'll be able to get the imperial stout going this month so it'll be done by at least mid winter which means putting a pin in everything else for a while due to lack of cold room space. I have most of the ingredients on hand. Other than that I just have the Vienna lager to keg. I need to take some time off. Maybe go hiking in Nagano.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Just checking in to say our company isn't in the US and we were legit worried about him just lying dead on the floor of his apartment. Sending the police was the absolute last resort.

Sorry for participating in the derail.

I'm currently waiting for the sysadmin to try and get my new work laptop to not put the fan at 100% all the time, because apparently typing on it makes it go superhot and it's very bad at cooling itself??

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 2, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The first laptop I got at my current job had all the security measures in place... but no Office, Adobe Acrobat, VPN client, Teams, real basic programs

That first week was fun, everyone training me was like "okay open up this SOP and..." while I just made a :lofty: face until they remembered I couldn't open .pdfs lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My old job just called and asked me to go back so I’m gonna have my notice in at my awful new job in two weeks and just not give a gently caress until then oh hell yeah

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I am sorta really reconsidering trying to open my own place. Pretty sure my beer sucks poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Escape From Noise posted:

I am sorta really reconsidering trying to open my own place. Pretty sure my beer sucks poo poo.

If I've learned anything from watching beer-brewing related poo poo from the sidelines it's that opening your own brewery seems to be right there with opening your own restaurant in terms of risk. The winning move seems to be brewing with other people's capital.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
My husband got a promotion to sales, and his work laptop he was using on the counter never saw life off the dock and the battery is uh, very swollen. This new position requires him to actually have a machine that can function on battery power. The IT policy is, ship is the old one and once we receive it we'll send you another machine. No, they won't send him one he can use a loaner while they're setting up a new laptop for him. :psyduck:

IT for his company is all remote. I guess his manager is talking to people but like, I come from a hospital background where there was always an on site presence and it wasn't unreasonable to get loaners for stuff, so this is just insane to me.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
meanwhile i work for a company that just hands out macbooks to people who dont need loving macbooks

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sending a swollen battery through the post might require a hazardous good courier.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah please don’t just box that bad boy up for some poor regular rear end mailperson

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

If I've learned anything from watching beer-brewing related poo poo from the sidelines it's that opening your own brewery seems to be right there with opening your own restaurant in terms of risk. The winning move seems to be brewing with other people's capital.

Probably. I do think you have a glut of people with zero experience thinking "Wow! Craft beer is really taking off! I bet I could make bank if I opened my own craft beer place!". Sorta like restaurants. Not that you're wrong. I dunno.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Do NOT ship the battery bomb

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Escape From Noise posted:

Probably. I do think you have a glut of people with zero experience thinking "Wow! Craft beer is really taking off! I bet I could make bank if I opened my own craft beer place!". Sorta like restaurants. Not that you're wrong. I dunno.

I mean, sounds like a pretty good use case for you finding a partner with deeper pockets than you. There are a bunch of "chef owned" restaurants out there where in reality it's like 30% owned by the chef and 70% by some person who knows restaurant operations and has the money to do that.

I suspect that you're right, though, with an added side of the hobbyist issue. You see this with restaurants too, but also basically every other thing where people enjoy doing something for fun that some people make a living at. I'm sure there are literally millions of people out there making bomb as gently caress beer in 5-10 gallon batches and that a non-zero number of them get told by their friends "you should totally sell this stuff you'd make a fortune" one time too many and give it a go, only to find out that home brewing is a different beast from even the most micro of microbrewery stuff.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Sending a swollen battery through the post might require a hazardous good courier.

His work will ship it, he's not shipping it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In actual dumb work poo poo my (somewhat new) boss is now requiring everyone to keep a time log of our activities throughout the day. The excel file they sent for us to use is broken down into half hour increments. This is a professional office place admin type of job, the sort of thing where you might be working non-stop one day and have some time to alt-tab and shitpost on another. It also has a VERY pronounced quarterly cycle where you're loving hair on fire busy at one point and it drops off significantly for a few weeks after a bunch poo poo gets submitted.

Why yes I'm updating my resume why do you ask?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pyrtanis posted:

His work will ship it, he's not shipping it.

Yeah but the point is they need to make sure they ship it with someone who knows that they’re handling a Li-ion timebomb and not just some poor shmuck who might get a fun surprise explosion if it decides it’s time.

I’m sure your husband would feel like a real rear end in a top hat if he just knowingly handed it off to a regular carrier and their poo poo got lit up, even if he’s not the one who arranged it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Call the bomb geek squad

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

In actual dumb work poo poo my (somewhat new) boss is now requiring everyone to keep a time log of our activities throughout the day. The excel file they sent for us to use is broken down into half hour increments. This is a professional office place admin type of job, the sort of thing where you might be working non-stop one day and have some time to alt-tab and shitpost on another. It also has a VERY pronounced quarterly cycle where you're loving hair on fire busy at one point and it drops off significantly for a few weeks after a bunch poo poo gets submitted.

What if you have to do a 15 minute task

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

evilpicard posted:

Alt-tab and shitpost for 15 mins of course.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Drop a brick on the laptop in an alley (or however you make it explode) and send in the inert remains.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Alternatively, do not deliberately detonate the laptop

https://youtu.be/j6HDS-qF6Cw

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

evilpicard posted:

You'll find that for any tracking system, any task will over time happen to trend towards X(n) + 1 minutes, where n is the increment of the tracking system.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pyrtanis posted:

My husband got a promotion to sales, and his work laptop he was using on the counter never saw life off the dock and the battery is uh, very swollen. This new position requires him to actually have a machine that can function on battery power. The IT policy is, ship is the old one and once we receive it we'll send you another machine. No, they won't send him one he can use a loaner while they're setting up a new laptop for him. :psyduck:

IT for his company is all remote. I guess his manager is talking to people but like, I come from a hospital background where there was always an on site presence and it wasn't unreasonable to get loaners for stuff, so this is just insane to me.

Unless there's something else wrong, they should just have to replace the battery. (Source: We've replaced about 100 batteries since the pandemic began because users just keep their laptops docked and on 24/7 without thinking.) We've had laptops come in completely warped from the swelling, but, again, swapping out the battery fixes that. For people not near a location with an on-site IT group, we have battery replacement kits from the manufacturer that are supposed to (according to them) be safe for shipping damaged batteries. But otherwise, you gotta bring that poo poo in yourself.

And don't get me started on loaners (They're dumb and I hate everyone who asks for them.)

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
If thread advice is ignored and said potential bomb is shipped, at least make sure it's as discharged as possible.

It's the difference between sssssSSSSSSSSS! and a small corrosive cloud, and ssssSSSSSfffffFFFFFFROOOSH! and large corrosive cloud.

Yes these are technical terms why do you ask

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Atopian posted:

If thread advice is ignored and said potential bomb is shipped, at least make sure it's as discharged as possible.

It's the difference between sssssSSSSSSSSS! and a small corrosive cloud, and ssssSSSSSfffffFFFFFFROOOSH! and large corrosive cloud.

Yes these are technical terms why do you ask

I got a ssssSSSSSfffffFFFFFFROOOSH! right here for ya.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My favourite one is the fwwwweeeEEEEEEEEEEEE sound like a sci-fi railgun powering up that you get in the split second that comes after you plug in a bad desktop power supply and just before it releases the magic smoke.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

You overload your boss with info.
Detail each half hour increment with everything you did, including updating the time log itself.
Include pictures as proof things happened.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, sounds like a pretty good use case for you finding a partner with deeper pockets than you. There are a bunch of "chef owned" restaurants out there where in reality it's like 30% owned by the chef and 70% by some person who knows restaurant operations and has the money to do that.

I suspect that you're right, though, with an added side of the hobbyist issue. You see this with restaurants too, but also basically every other thing where people enjoy doing something for fun that some people make a living at. I'm sure there are literally millions of people out there making bomb as gently caress beer in 5-10 gallon batches and that a non-zero number of them get told by their friends "you should totally sell this stuff you'd make a fortune" one time too many and give it a go, only to find out that home brewing is a different beast from even the most micro of microbrewery stuff.

I have a partner sorta lined up but I dunno. We'll see. It sucks to hear that someone hates your poo poo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

My favourite one is the fwwwweeeEEEEEEEEEEEE sound like a sci-fi railgun powering up that you get in the split second that comes after you plug in a bad desktop power supply and just before it releases the magic smoke.

The scream of capacitors in pain.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

You overload your boss with info.
Detail each half hour increment with everything you did, including updating the time log itself.
Include pictures as proof things happened.

In my experience with this sort of crap, they just look to see there's something there and move on. I've had this happen twice and it was ignored unless there was no Stuff Entered, and nobody ever had their entries questioned. This of course led to people finding ways to either auto generate it or filling out the whole thing right before it was due to be submitted.

A fantastic waste of time!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

goatface posted:

If your employee goes off sick and then stops responding to all contact, checking they're not dead seems pretty reasonable to me.

I had a boss try that once almost 20 years ago at an old tech support job. Only difference was (A) I didn't call out or no-show for days/weeks & (B) I had already put in my 2 weeks but was burned out & said "gently caress it". He came by my apartment, with police, who were NOT happy when I pulled up my laptop & showed them the resignation email I sent the day before. Funny how he was only worried/concerned about me after I left the company since any attempts at upward mobility or even getting a CoL raise were met with bullshit excuses.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007
Selling beer straight retail is the way to go. We were going over costs and our most popular six pack of bottles is at 66.8% COGS. My new ownership is all restaurant people and they were horrified that. For a restaurant to be profitable that number really needs to be around 30%. Draft beer is closer to 5% COGS.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
make your money off the first poor or something thats all i know

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is true of almost every hobby based thing I have ever seen. Game stores, comic book stores, gun shops, and so many others. People think their love of something will translate to profit. Business plans are boring and tedious but sobering.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

20 Blunts posted:

make your money off the first poor or something thats all i know

That's just capitalism, not specifically brewing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We're gonna do a thing! Do the thing!

Okay so we need goals.

Yes!

And objectives.

Ahhhh, I guess we can do that.

Specific, measurable and achievable objectives.

Uhhhh that sounds like work.

Also a detailed action plan bound by deliverables, budget and deadlines.

Stop wasting all this time and do the thing!

:fuckoff:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Thia happened a month ago, but my boss sending me a message at 8:00 am asking me be at that same day's 8:00 am meeting.

Anyway, I was mentally like gently caress you sir and did my usual morning routine and arrived at my usual hour. The meeting was still on going. It was a meeting about nothing. All they did was one of those "how many money do you all envision to earn??? You can do it with a lot of hard work effort yay!" talks.

I stopped going to their meetings lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Outrail posted:

We're gonna do a thing! Do the thing!

Okay so we need goals.

Yes!

And objectives.

Ahhhh, I guess we can do that.

Specific, measurable and achievable objectives.

Uhhhh that sounds like work.

Also a detailed action plan bound by deliverables, budget and deadlines.

Stop wasting all this time and do the thing!

:fuckoff:

Lol but also gently caress off with deadlines and budget and just let me do the thing