Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It feels like someone filled out a cursed political scandal Mad Lib that came to life.

MISSISSIPPI stole $70 MILLLION dollars in WELFARE MONEY to give it to BRETT FAVRE, A VOLLEYBALL COURT, and a RETIRED PRO WRESTLER FROM BILOXI who never gave the INSPIRATIONAL SPEECH he was supposed to give.

The FBI says Favre isn't being charged with a crime because he wasn't aware of where the money came from and has paid it all back (except for the ~$280k in interest they are also asking him to pay back). But, the former Governor of Mississippi, the former head of the Mississippi DHS, and several other people are under investigation by the FBI now.

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1565463681508450304

quote:

The nation's poorest state used welfare money to pay Brett Favre for speeches he never made

The state auditor says $70 million in federal welfare funds went to Favre, a volleyball complex and a former pro wrestler in a scandal that has rocked Mississippi.

Brett Favre earned nearly $140 million as a star NFL quarterback over two decades and millions more in product endorsements.

But that didn’t stop the state of Mississippi from paying Favre $1.1 million in 2017 and 2018 to make motivational speeches — out of federal welfare funds intended for needy families. The Mississippi state auditor said Favre never gave the speeches and demanded the money back, with interest.

Favre has repaid the fees, although not the $228,000 in interest the auditor also demanded. But the revelation by the auditor that $70 million in TANF welfare funds was doled out to a multimillionaire athlete, a professional wrestler, a horse farm and a volleyball complex are at the heart of a scandal that has rocked the nation’s poorest state, sparking parallel state and federal criminal investigations that have led to charges and guilty pleas involving some of the key players.

Favre hasn’t been accused of a crime or charged, and he declined an interview. His lawyer, Bud Holmes, said he did nothing wrong and never understood he was paid with money intended to help poor children. Holmes acknowledged that the FBI had questioned Favre in the case, a fact that hasn’t previously been reported.

The saga, which has been boiling at low grade for 2½ years, drew new attention in July, when the state welfare agency fired a lawyer who had been hired to claw back some of the money, just after he issued a subpoena seeking more information about the roles of Favre and the former governor, Phil Bryant, a Republican. The current governor, Republican Tate Reeves, acknowledged playing a role in the decision to sack Brad Pigott, accusing the Bill Clinton-appointed former U.S. attorney of having a political agenda. But the state official who first uncovered the misspending and fraud, auditor Shad White, is a Republican.

In his first television interview since he was fired, Pigott said his only agenda was to get at the truth and to recoup U.S. taxpayer funds sent to Mississippi that he says were “squandered.”

“The notion of tens of millions of dollars that was intended by the country to go to the alleviation of poverty — and to see it going toward very different purposes — was appalling to many of us,” he said. “Mr. Favre was a very great quarterback, but having been a great NFL quarterback, he is not well acquainted with poverty.”

Pigott, who before he was fired sued on behalf of Mississippi’s welfare agency, naming Favre and 37 other grant recipients, laid ultimate blame at the feet of top Mississippi politicians, including Bryant.

“Governor Bryant gave tens of millions of dollars of this TANF welfare money to a nonprofit led by a person who he knew well and who had more connections with his political party than with the good people in Mississippi who have the heart and the skills to actually cajole people out of poverty or prevent teenage pregnancies,” he said.

In an interview with the website Mississippi Today, Bryant said he never knew the grants came from welfare money. His lawyer didn’t respond to requests for comment.

The person in charge of the nonprofit group Pigott was referring to is Nancy New, a close friend of Bryant’s wife. New and her son have pleaded guilty to state and federal charges and agreed to cooperate. New, a key player in doling out the money, said in a court document that Bryant was among those involved in directing the transactions. Her lawyer declined to comment.

The former head of the state welfare agency, John Davis, has pleaded not guilty to state charges of bribery and conspiracy, and law enforcement officials say the investigations continue.

Favre defended himself in a series of tweets last year against allegations from White, the state auditor, that he accepted state money for speeches he never intended to give.

“I would never knowingly take funds meant to help our neighbors in need, but for Shad White to continue to push out this lie that the money was for no-show events is something I cannot stay silent about,” Favre tweeted.

The speeches aren’t the only welfare grants tied to Favre. Text messages obtained by Mississippi Today and authenticated by Pigott show that Favre sought a $3.2 million grant for a drug company in which he was a shareholder and a $5 million award that built a volleyball arena at the University of Southern Mississippi, where his daughter played the sport and where he played football. Favre’s lawyer declined to comment.

The drug company, Prevacus, was touting treatments to mitigate the effects of concussions, although none were approved by the Food and Drug Administration. In some texts, Favre suggested awarding shares in the drug company to Bryant while he was governor.

“Don’t know if legal or not but we need cut him in,” Favre texted a company official in November 2018, referring to Bryant. Following up three days later, Favre wrote, “Also if legal I’ll give some of my shares to the Governor.”

Bryant has said he never would have accepted such an offer.

“All of it remains quite a mystery,” Pigott told NBC News, “as to why Mr. Favre would get the benefit of millions of dollars in TANF welfare money, both for a fee for speeches he didn’t make, $2 million-plus to go to a company in which he was the largest outside individual investor and $5 million for his alma mater to play volleyball in a volleyball building.”

The state auditor said he found other “no show” contracts benefiting former pro athletes and family members of Davis, the welfare agency director.

The auditor said Davis directed one contract to Austin Smith, his nephew, who was paid more than $400,000 to provide “coding skills” classes even though prosecutors allege he had no such skills “and did not know how to teach.”

At least $3 million went to Ted DiBiase, a retired professional wrestler. Marcus Dupree, a former college football star, also received $370,000 in welfare funds, which prosecutors say partly went to fund his horse ranch.

Paul LaCoste, who is the current governor’s athletic trainer, was paid $300,000 in welfare funds to run a fitness boot camp for legislators.

DiBiase, Dupree, LaCoste and Smith didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

The scandal has also spotlighted the meager scope of Mississippi’s welfare program and provided a stark reminder of the Clinton-era welfare reform that provided states with block grants and wide latitude in how they spend them. According to state figures, Mississippi rejects more than 90% of those who apply for the federal welfare benefit known as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF. This year 2,500 children received benefits, state officials said, in a state with 192,000 poor children.

One of those who had trouble getting help was Tamara Edwards, who raised four children on her own while working a series of low-wage jobs.

She once received welfare vouchers for child care, and in 2009 she applied again, she said. Even though her income was low enough, she was denied.

“They told me they didn’t have the funds,” said Edwards, who now works as a cook at a Cracker Barrel restaurant.

Advocates and state legislators say Mississippi’s welfare agency, under years of conservative Republican state governments, has a history of questionable spending and a lack of transparency.

“TANF has been a slush fund for a long time,” said Oleta Fitzgerald, who is the director of the Children’s Defense Fund’s Southern Regional Office and is based in Jackson, the state capital. “Mississippi is the poorest doggone state in the country — where is the money, and what are they doing with it? There is nobody on welfare — welfare participation rates are way down — and no one knows where that money is being spent.”

Aisha Nyandoro, the chief executive of Springboard to Opportunities, a local nonprofit group that works with residents of affordable housing, said: “And DHS [the state Department of Human Services] will tell you that the reason that they cannot go about allocating the TANF funds is because they can’t find any families who are eligible. Go outside and throw a rock. It’s Mississippi. You can find an eligible family.”

Jarvis Dortsch, a former state legislator who heads the state’s chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, said that when he was a member of the Legislature, “I could not get a list of how the money was being spent.”

Dortsch said he had to resort to secrecy.

“Someone had snuck me a list — it didn’t have [a] DHS [logo] on it — they had it printed out and snuck it out,” he said.

White, the auditor, told NBC News the investigation goes on. “My office is continuing the work we started over two years ago on what is now the largest public fraud case in our state’s history,” he said. “We will also continue to work with our state and federal partners to be sure each person responsible for this massive scheme is held fully accountable under the law.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Leon posted:

At least $3 million went to Ted DiBiase, a retired professional wrestler.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Every one of those people are in league with each other and knew exactly where the money came from. I'd be surprised if Favre didn't know where the money was coming from. But getting money for speeches you never did sure as hell reeks of knowing you were engaging in fraud.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Former Alabama Senator Doug Jones is part of the legal team working with the state auditor's office in Mississippi (probably as part of Alabama's plan to make sure that Mississippi keeps being the worst state to keep Alabama out of that ranking) and says that there are even more updates coming.

https://twitter.com/DougJones/status/1565488166156599298

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

You all remember 38 Studios?

https://www.997wpro.com/2016/05/09/new-oversight-committee-leader-backs-off-38-studios-probe/

This is an article about my aunt, an elected Democrat.

Do you want to know why she ended the investigation?

"I just do what the speaker tells me."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

"Political violence is bad" seems like a good sentiment even if it isn't well followed.

Flip it around: *should* political violence have a place in American society?

the idea of an American society without political violence is a nice one. unfortunately, you've seen what its advocates get even from nice polite liberals when they start talking about 'defunding the police' or 'not giving forced hysterectomies to Mexican women'

so as long as you're willing to sign off on massive political violence directed by the democratic party against the weak, why be so uncomfortable at the thought of directing it towards people who might actually have it coming?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

That will buy him 3 belts!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

You all remember 38 Studios?

https://www.997wpro.com/2016/05/09/new-oversight-committee-leader-backs-off-38-studios-probe/

This is an article about my aunt, an elected Democrat.

Do you want to know why she ended the investigation?

"I just do what the speaker tells me."

The Governor already tried to shut down the investigation. But, you can't really shut it down when the FBI and State Auditor's office are involved.

That was also a different situation. 38 studios and the Rhode Island public/private business investment board worked out a legal loan plan to create Rhode Island jobs in the tech sector. His studio crashed and they were not upfront about how much work was left on the game and how much more money they needed when they had a status check 2 years later. The government of Rhode Island didn't do anything wrong (except think that Curt Schilling was going to make a successful video game franchise).

The Mississippi situation is the state government taking federal money for TANF (AKA "cash welfare") and then illegally distributing it to other people, bribing people, and trying to cover it up. The actual government is the wrong-doer in that scenario.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Governor already tried to shut down the investigation. But, you can't really shut it down when the FBI and State Auditor's office are involved.

That was also a different situation. 38 studios and the Rhode Island public/private business investment board worked out a legal loan plan to create Rhode Island jobs in the tech sector. His studio crashed and they were not upfront about how much work was left on the game and how much more money they needed. The government of Rhode Island didn't do anything wrong (except think that Curt Schilling was going to make a successful video game franchise).

The Mississippi situation is the state government taking federal money for TANF (AKA "cash welfare") and then illegally distributing it to other people, bribing people, and trying to cover it up. The actual government is the wrong-doer in that scenario.

Leon, you can give all the official responses you want, but I sat across the dinner table from her when she told me why she was shutting down the investigation. It was because the speaker told her to.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What else were they investigating about that? It's been a decade

Did Curt burn more money in the meantime?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

Leon, you can give all the official responses you want, but I sat across the dinner table from her when she told me why she was shutting down the investigation. It was because the speaker told her to.

I'm not saying anything your aunt said was wrong. Just that they are two different situations and they can't "shut down the investigation" on the Mississippi case because the FBI and State Auditor's office are involved.

The Governor and DHS Secretary who engaged in all this alleged fraud aren't even in office anymore. The RI situation was an investigation of a public/private business loan that was obtained legally. The other is a government official secretly stealing federal funds illegally. It doesn't matter what the Governor used them for, because it is illegal to take them and do anything else with them, so there is no wiggle room there.

One of them is a voluntary legislative committee investigation. The other is an actual criminal investigation by the FBI and State Auditor.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 2, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

There's also really no particular reason to believe that there was fraud in RI. Their motive was likely to get good high paying jobs in the state and benefit politically from a feel-good success story involving a local sports hero. They were guilty of being stupid more than anything else.

This situation in MS looks like literally using state money for the governor to personally get something back in return, literally stealing welfare money for personal enrichment.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

That will buy him 3 belts!

But yea, paid that much and not actually doing what you were paid for, they all knew. Favre should just claim CTE.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rigel posted:

There's also really no particular reason to believe that there was fraud in RI. Their motive was likely to get good high paying jobs in the state and benefit politically from a feel-good success story involving a local sports hero. They were guilty of being stupid more than anything else.

This situation in MS looks like literally using state money for the governor to personally get something back in return, literally stealing welfare money for personal enrichment.

There was no fraud in the issuing of the loan in RI. But, there were some allegations of civil fraud that were eventually settled from things that happened later. Those allegations were against the Rhode Island public/private economic development group because they were accused of realizing about 2 years into the project that 38 Studios didn't have enough money to finish the project and never updated the investors who bought the bonds from the group to fund the project.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 2, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The court just unsealed the more detailed inventory of items seized from Mar-a-Lago.

There's nothing too enlightening there. But, it has a bunch of weird details.

- Trump kept some classified documents in his office inside of a drawer and the documents were "commingled" with clothes and food.

- Some of the classified document folders had articles that Trump had clipped or printed out and put inside.

- He took a bunch of documents that were still in their original folders labelled "RETURN TO STAFF SECRETARY"

- Trump kept some documents inside books about himself and his presidency.

- Trump also kept some documents in plastic tubs that were filled with a mix of classified documents and "Magazines, Newspapers, Press Articles, and other printed media from November 2016 through March 2020."

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The 38 Studios loan may not have been fraud but it was definitely incompetence and strongly deviated from the original intent of the program which, as I remember, was to provide smaller loans to a lot of indie game companies and help build resumes in RI.

Incompetence in the public sector deserves to be called out and investigated.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It really sounds like he scooped up mementos about his presidency.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Morrow posted:

It really sounds like he scooped up mementos about his presidency.

Nuclear secrets only known to a few dozen people, technical schematics, and folders labelled "Information re: The President of France" are weird choices for mementos.

Some of the stuff seems to be unrelated and just stored together. There are articles that are most likely about him winning the election (from November 2016) mixed in with technical documents.

Also, it will never not be hilarious/depressing that the world spent months worrying about Hillary Clinton's email server and whether she could be trusted to handle classified information and we now know that Trump kept classified documents in his unlocked clothes drawer and desk drawer with food.

I'm sure the motivation was something like that, but each new set of details about how specifically he chose, hid, and lied about those documents - only to keep them in his desk or a storage room with a normal door lock for 1.5 years makes it even weirder.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

- Trump also kept some documents in plastic tubs that were filled with a mix of classified documents and "Magazines, Newspapers, Press Articles, and other printed media from November 2016 through March 2020."

I knew it, there were literally classified documents in his box full of framed time covers.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

- Trump kept some classified documents in his office inside of a drawer and the documents were "commingled" with clothes and food.

LOL, Trump got Big Mac sauce stains all over classified documents.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

duck.exe posted:

LOL, Trump got Big Mac sauce stains all over classified documents.

My President :patriot:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
He's a slob! Like me!

Enthusiasm restored! Take that failure libs.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

I knew it, there were literally classified documents in his box full of framed time covers.

I don't remember when I first heard it but, yeah, every accusation a confession is just more and more true each day.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It is probably a coincidence (because some of the tubs do have articles/clippings/printouts dated as recently as October 2020 and December 2020), but it is kind of interesting that he has so many boxes with clippings/newspapers/etc. from "November 2016 through March 2020." Almost all of the tubs with classified info are mixed in with articles from that date range.

Maybe Trump is more sensitive about Covid than he lets on in public.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It is probably a coincidence (because some of the tubs do have articles/clippings/printouts dated as recently as October 2020 and December 2020), but it is kind of interesting that he has so many boxes with clippings/newspapers/etc. from "November 2016 through March 2020." Almost all of the tubs with classified info are mixed in with articles from that date range.

Maybe Trump is more sensitive about Covid than he lets on in public.

Isn't Trump infamously a germaphobe as well as weird about food and drinks? Wouldn't surprise me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Looking even further at the inventory, there are some items that are labelled as Top Secret folders that are empty of the original contents, but contain newspaper clippings and printouts of news stories.

Which most likely means that, contrary to his lawyer's assertions, Trump was taking the documents out of the folders/storage and moving them around/showing them to people.

But, it is funnier to imagine Trump trying to trick the FBI and National Archives by replacing the documents with articles from Breitbart and hoping that nobody noticed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This whole thing is so weird

Like was he just doing this because he could? I'm sure a lot of that stuff weren't the kinds of things that would have actual value to anyone. I'm not talking about the nuclear stuff or the supposed lists of undercover operatives.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I really think he just likes to hang on to anything he thinks could be useful, rather than some master plan. Hoarding-adjacent behavior.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It certainly seems that way

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't Trump infamously a germaphobe as well as weird about food and drinks? Wouldn't surprise me.

He's weird about food because of his germaphobia. He thinks McDonald's is less likely to be compromised. Somehow.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The thing that makes it so weird is that these documents were the legal and criminal equivalent to nuclear waste. You don't want it, and if you have it you want the proper authorities to take it and get it the hell away from you as quickly as possible. The legal consequences are horrifying for a normal person, but Trump either did not fully realize just how serious this was, or he honestly thought the law just did not apply to him. And the Feds gave him all the leeway and plenty of chances that they would never give to a normal person or even a "normal but very important" person like a general or something. But at some point when you lie and flagrantly smash the espionage statutes this defiantly, you have to be charged with crimes no matter who you are.

edit: just had a thought that maybe it is only now that he is believing he is in a lot of trouble, not because he finally decided to listen to his lawyers, but because he thinks Joe Biden is going to do to him what he thought he should have done to Hillary but allowed all those idiots to talk him out of it.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 2, 2022

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Like was he just doing this because he could? I'm sure a lot of that stuff weren't the kinds of things that would have actual value to anyone. I'm not talking about the nuclear stuff or the supposed lists of undercover operatives.

I mean, yes? Isn't one of the common causes for hoarders that they're trying to retain a sense of control? Getting booted outta the white house could trigger that kind of behavior, I guess.

edit:

cat botherer posted:

I really think he just likes to hang on to anything he thinks could be useful, rather than some master plan. Hoarding-adjacent behavior.
:hmmyes:

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 2, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The saddest thing about this whole situation (other than the fact that even in the off chance he is convicted for this, it likely won't impact his popularity at all and he won't do jail time) is that we will probably never know what Trump keeps in his folder labelled "Information Re: The French President."

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Here's a scanned, detailed list of stuff that was seized.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1565709918702915589?s=20&t=p65EU99NjeLorjZB8hJEDQ

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

FlamingLiberal posted:

cat botherer posted:

I feel like any questions about why Trump would hang on to this stuff would be answered by this photo:

The dude loved being president. It made him feel cool to order assassinations, give important speeches, and have the most powerful people in the world show him deference. He doesn't want to let it go, which is why he's got a chintzy Resolute Desk knockoff surrounded by his presidential greatest hits collection. The documents are the same thing. They're secret and nobody is allowed to know what's in them, so just having them makes him important and special. What are those secrets? Doesn't matter. He gets to see them and you don't.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New filing says they found over 10,000 additional (not classified, though) documents at Mar-a-Lago that he wasn't supposed to have.

Maybe the hoarding theory is right. But, that makes his months-long curation and selection of what classified documents to take - instead of just snatching everything - even weirder.

Also, about 90 folders marked classified were empty. Not clear from the inventory if whatever was originally in them was recovered.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1565721246892957696

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also Trump still seems to think he is the President still (see: wanting a complete redo of 2020), therefore he can have these documents.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 2, 2022

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Taking bets on what exactly the 19 "Article of Clothing/Gift Item"s they found were. Had to be small enough or fold up small enough to fit into the boxes stuffed with other files.

...MAGA hats?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Youth Decay posted:

Taking bets on what exactly the 19 "Article of Clothing/Gift Item"s they found were. Had to be small enough or fold up small enough to fit into the boxes stuffed with other files.

...MAGA hats?

18 MAGA hats and Meliana's "I don't really care, do u" jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the idea of an American society without political violence is a nice one. unfortunately, you've seen what its advocates get even from nice polite liberals when they start talking about 'defunding the police' or 'not giving forced hysterectomies to Mexican women'

so as long as you're willing to sign off on massive political violence directed by the democratic party against the weak, why be so uncomfortable at the thought of directing it towards people who might actually have it coming?

Are you under the impression that I sign off on massive political violence against the weak? Or did you just go a little too far in the rhetorical flourishes here?