Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

The crafted Titania EX axe is absolutely stunning. Still screenshot doesn't really do it justice IMO - go look it up on a market board (The Fae's Crown Axe) and look at all the little details.

its one of my favorite axes in a long time

edit:

Arzaac posted:

So I'm curious, how do people actually go about finding cool pieces for Glamours? I feel like there's not a great resource outside of like, just looking at armor in game but that's not ideal for a lot of reasons.

(Also, side note, if anyone wants to slide me the locations of some cool axes I'd appreciate it. I'm using the Gold Saucer axe, which is admittedly super cool)

i'm extremely partial to the Garuda extreme axe (Scream of the Vortex, crafted or MB), susano's axe (which now has a crafted glowy version as well, might be expensive on mb), the dwarven mythril hammer (crafted/mb), the deepshadow axe (nuts vendor in crystarium), and the chondrite axe, which is a fuckin' buzzsaw (crafted/mb)

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bruceski posted:

Non-Savage/Expert most tankbusters are just soaked and it stays with the main tank. I meant "the standard way of dealing with a necessary tank swap" and then some people try to get clever instead.

Sorry, lost track of who was asking questions about what.

No that's totally cool. I'm here to learn. Hopefully I'll actually have the time and energy this week to jump into a PF or just say gently caress it and make my own and try and drag some goons in with me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Also check out Mirapri for the JP eqivalent.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I hate seeing a group saying "blind prog/prog from the start!" for endgame content I'd like to try just as I'm burned out because I had to do P8 multiple times for the drop :sigh:. Honestly normal raids shouldn't be 10+ min long with bad DPS when it's content you're gonna run for several weeks in a row for gear.

Reach nirvana and wear full crafted so you only have to do normals once for story

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yeah, with the week lead time, spacing out the time to get crafted is ez if you have your crafters leveled and geared, and having your crafters leveled will naturally lead to gearing them because they become a much larger income source than you can otherwise get.

you do still need to do the fourth floor once every week though because there's no guarantee you're ever winning any rolls, ever, and getting your tome weapon helps everyone

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Here's the thing: I don't have my crafters levelled, I haven't even gotten GSM to 90 and it's the one crafting job I do have leveled. Not to mention to craft current gear you need to get involved into crafting endgame and that is both a can of worms I'm not touching when I barely have the time to do normal endgame and I don't have the money needed anyways.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Finally, a joke about my name lands, and it's not even intentional.

e: Somehow I manage to be wearing the silliest possible outfit for Hildibrand without even trying. First my Gambler Red Mage when hunting Greg, and now the silliest hat I could get at this level without spending Wolf Marks on it.

e2: Do the calling cards execute magic bullet-level trajectories if you do Hildibrand as a lalafell?

Dareon fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 2, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
well, you have 8 months to change that for next tier while you gradually make your way through this one

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mister Olympus posted:

well, you have 8 months to change that for next tier while you gradually make your way through this one

I haven't even finished levelling combat jobs to 90! And I need to to free the armory space.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Though P5S has dots that make that... tricky.

Yesterday someone in our group invulned a P5S tankbuster instead of swapping because the other tank was dead. All was well until the invuln wore off and he took 180k bleed damage in a single tick.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yesterday someone in our group invulned a P5S tankbuster instead of swapping because the other tank was dead. All was well until the invuln wore off and he took 180k bleed damage in a single tick.

The devs have made invuln cheese as hard as possible this tier.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

beautiful

did a lil' pf after our static had a go at it today to iron out the simon says mechanic and i have to say i'm impressed how well people are handling it. unfortunately i also learned that i can't read it and do useful callouts at the same time because it turns out i'm not thinking about safe spots but rather the series of movements i need to make and translating that on the fly is too much for my poor braincell

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
cleared p6s

every fight should be grid-based imo

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Qwertycoatl posted:

I was playing with a cotank who took a while to figure out ruby clusters, so I was solo taking the tankbuster after a lot. As far as I can tell the dot and vuln are designed to be exactly long enough that even an invuln at the last possible second will wear off just in time for you to eat poo poo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Building manor furniture for my FC house, and I can only imagine the servants of Haukke Manor going "My lady, an adventurer has repeatedly broken in, murdered about a dozen of your servants, and stolen your furniture polish before leaving."

e: Actually more like "Killed four servants and cleared up some of the water damage on the ground floor"

e2:

Dareon fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 2, 2022

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
did endsinger ex*
*managed to kill it 0.1 seconds before the enrage after the cast bar completed. fun fight!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

best clears are when enrage actually kills half your party

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My group started savage prog last night and we got Carby down. Fun fight, kind of funny to me that much like P1S there's a scary looking mechanic that people found a completely braindead way to solve and render it mostly moot.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

thankfully "braindead" doesn't involve damage downs this time

well, except for the adds that sneak in. honestly not sure if it's worth killing them or just biting the bullet and continuing to wail on the boss (what we're doing for prog since it's easy enough to take the damage and the dmg down doesn't matter when you're still working on devour)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oneiros posted:

thankfully "braindead" doesn't involve damage downs this time

well, except for the adds that sneak in. honestly not sure if it's worth killing them or just biting the bullet and continuing to wail on the boss (what we're doing for prog)

Oh yeah I forgot that the braindead intemp people used damage downed the tank. We used a similar method but just had our DNC and OT switch and it was just as easy without any debuffs lol

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Oneiros posted:

best clears are when enrage actually kills half your party

I'm pretty sure everyone's in our group's favorite clear of this type was our first clear of O8S (Kefka), where we had to go into the combat log after the fact and verify that yes, ifrit and selene eating the enrage hit before our final surviving party member is what allowed us our first clear.

Explanation: it's almost never relevant, but many/most AOEs in FF14 don't actually hit their targets simultaneously - there is a slight delay between each target getting hit, so in the tiny window between the first and last target getting killed by the enrage it's possible for party members to land one last attack, and if the boss is killed this way, it cancels the damage on subsequent targets and registers as a win. Back at this time, summoner and scholar pets could be damaged and killed by enemies, and so the presence of both a scholar fairy and a summoner pet extended the time before the last party member was killed just long enough to let that one last attack go through for the killing blow. Many bosses now specifically go untargetable before firing off their hard enrage "wipe the party" mechanic to prevent the party from both triggering the enrage and still winning the fight

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i'm not sure what "many bosses" entails because iirc my first p2s clear was of that type

the "aoes are actually applied one person at a time" thing also applies to limit breaks. my proudest moment was getting the tank lb3 timing in the 5.3 trial juuuuuuust right so that i died but no one else did

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah I forgot that the braindead intemp people used damage downed the tank. We used a similar method but just had our DNC and OT switch and it was just as easy without any debuffs lol

I'm pretty convinced that's the actual intended method, because I can't figure out what else would be for the life of me.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Countblanc posted:

I'm pretty convinced that's the actual intended method, because I can't figure out what else would be for the life of me.
There's some sort of Intemperance strat where everyone rotates one square clockwise for the last explosion or something like that. Someone here was saying that people should do that but the rest of the world said nah we're cool with DPS-tank flex

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
I watched a couple streamers do Orbonne Monastery earlier and it made me think... "Huh, I wonder what the High Seraph looked like back in FF Tactics," and then "Huh, I should try to glam that."

Captured the spirit, I think!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arzaac posted:

So I'm curious, how do people actually go about finding cool pieces for Glamours? I feel like there's not a great resource outside of like, just looking at armor in game but that's not ideal for a lot of reasons.

You can have access to viewing any gear you want via plugins. I use one called I think Fitting Room, lets me look at any item in the game and try it on with a click, and has good filters. So it's roughly as clunky as just looking at armor in game in terms of clicking around but you do have access to absolutely everything and you do get to actually play with how it looks on your WoL, dyes and all. Fitting Room needs a 6.2 update still unless it got one overnight, so I've been using Allagan Tools, which has similar powers.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I needed a few hundred tokens to get to 3000 to do the last island area. I had a few things from the granary that I wasn't using so I sold them to get to that point.

So of COURSE the final landmark in that area requires 3 of one of the items I sold to do that :negative:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
No, the plugin I prefer to use is simply called Item Search. Anyway, they're on Dalamud, and have let me while away some hours combing through all the choices.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I needed a few hundred tokens to get to 3000 to do the last island area. I had a few things from the granary that I wasn't using so I sold them to get to that point.

So of COURSE the final landmark in that area requires 3 of one of the items I sold to do that :negative:

You can just build any landmark to get the build timer going and then instantly replace it with something else once you have the resources

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Regalingualius posted:

I forget, what are considered the best/fastest duties to spam for the second one-time grind for the resistance weapons? Been doing Alexander 1 for the first leg of it, bit fuzzy on what the quick ones are for Omega and Eden

For Omega, I went with O3 and O5. For Eden, I went with E1 and E3. I don't know if those are the actual fastest ones, but they were the ones that I felt took the least amount of effort to grind through over and over again.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tamba posted:

You can just build any landmark to get the build timer going and then instantly replace it with something else once you have the resources

:psyduck: what

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Once you have something built on a plot, you can replace it without having to wait for it to build again.
And it doesn't matter which landmarks you build to get its effects, just that there is anything there.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

I expected bullshit prog spanning multiple days after the Female Titan phase completely did away with Cast Bars, but this was actually really fun. More like this please!

(I imagine the Savage raid tier is going to do a lot worse to me.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
New story up on Tales from the Dawn - our focus this week? Erenville

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkLoga9tIO0

Jabbering Idiot
Jun 5, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

That makes sense at least. Can suck hard but it seems fair.

Interesting to note regarding BLU; you are still eligible to learn despite dying in three cases: 1. being rezzed before the fight ends (duh), 2. if you defeat the enemy with Final Sting or Self-Destruct (they must be defeated by the action; it works by design for the same reason you can still win fights despite dying with these actions) and 3. by returning to just outside the boss arena before your party clears the boss. By being in close enough proximity to the boss when it dies having participated in the encounter some and being alive, you can still learn the spell, just like being rezzed!

As far as trying to learn encounters on the fly, many veterans have sort of an advantage because as the game's gone on it's taken less and less actual gameplay outside of just watching the MSQ to level and progress. You used to have to grind FATEs or dungeons at least a little to progress up until pretty much 5.0, and even then some folks hit an exp wall. More and more roulettes have become available too, and the content players are exposed to within them become easier and easier as levels/item levels and action potencies continue to increase. 6.0 Has been the first expansion where they designed the MSQ to pretty much only do MSQ. Doing FATEs and dungeons gives players more time to actually feel comfortable as their job, the game, and the game design, and the more comfortable you are with all those things, the easier it is to just watch the boss and watch the party and react.

Healers tend to have the easiest job in this regard, followed by tanks, because their damage rotations (the only thing you do when the boss isn't telling you to dance) are very simple, and everything else they use is reactive to the encounter.

So this probably translates to just better game familiarity and knowledge in general, and maybe feeling less rushed and overwhelmed by content as there wasn't as much to see or do.

My two cents in terms of actual advice is to pay attention to what bosses do. Pay more attention to new bosses than what you're doing every global if you find your actions difficult to execute. After you learn the boss, pay attention to others, because what they do or fail to do can kill you, too. Probably after that, focus on your own stuff. That might sound unhelpful, but they really do a good job of telegraphing in this game, and doing too little damage is scarcely a concern for any role until the harder content. If you're really worried about whether or not you're doing your own job well enough, take some time to practice your buttons on a striking dummy, or a FATE boss (they're basically the same thing). I have a lot of specifics I can bring up regarding that but it'd probably be a bit of a pain in the rear end to read, so I'll just leave it at that.

Countblanc posted:

Macros own, but it's a lot more time intensive to make a good macro than to just list strat names and put down a square for people to stand around.

The good news is that you can easily copy someone's macro from the game textbox that's been posted and save it in your own macros. I shamelessly copied every current content macro when I was playing on JP servers, and it made stuff like organizing for the 48-mans within Bozja very quick and easy to do.

Countblanc posted:

The conversation kinda reminds me of the current ongoing issue in fighting games where people are just hosting guides and data in character discords and Google docs (which you find on said discord) rather than more easy to find and search places like wikis, but that's in large part because it's easier and very few people who find it annoying actually put in the effort to create or contribute to useful wikis themselves

That's interesting! Maybe having macros listed on wiki sites would be a great start, especially considering it's just a copy and paste job.

I've also been on the official FFXIV forums a bit recently. I can't post there because I don't have an active account, and the atmosphere there seems pretty negative overall. I guess this makes sense because people probably only want to post there when they have a gripe that they want addressed, but considering it's supposed to be the only place they get feedback from directly, I figured it probably couldn't hurt to make it more inviting, easier to use as a resource to learn, and encouraging constructive discussion.

So I was thinking of maybe adding some threads there that just contain boss fight macros in FFXIV formatting at some point when I can play again.

Also, your comment about fighting games got me thinking too because I think a lot of people bounce off of the PVP in FFXIV (or are at least excessively negative about it) because they just don't really having a good resource to approach, understand and improve at the modes. I've seen some folks there that seem pretty knowledgeable, but no threads that are there just to educate or direct newer players, so normally someone just makes a post about why they think x job is useless, and then they get, at best, condescendingly educated by dogpiling regulars and it just goes on like that forever. I dunno, maybe I just described how forums work, but I know the resources at least exist out there on things like discords and google docs for people that want to search em out.

So I was thinking of digging guides up and posting them there at some point. How is the new mode, by the way?

Chillgamesh posted:

Just had a CC game earlier today playing as Warrior on Cloud Nine where our team lost a teamfight after the enemy had already pushed past our control point. The NIN in our group sarcastically hit "Good match!" as we all died.

I ran out with our Dragoon with the Crystal about 4% from our goal and hit Primal Scream on the entire enemy team just as the second updraft blew in. Simultaneously my teammate Dragoon hit Sky High and came down just as they landed and took fall damage. Full teamwipe and we carried that momentum all the way back to the enemy's spawn and won the game. The salty NIN had the least damage dealt out of everyone in the game :smugdog:

Nice! This sounds sick and fun as hell. Do games often swing like this? What rank range was this? I heard a lot of folks having a rough time getting stuck in gold with the new ranking system so far, but I dunno if it's just because they're simply used to the old system and maybe everyone's expectations of their performance is higher than it maybe should be right now, as harsh as that sounds.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dungeon bosses, especially newer ones, tend to have patterns that help you sight read them. They'll often start with a raidwide and a tankbuster, and then do a thing and another thing, which probably won't kill you if you mess up, and then do the thing and the other thing at the same time or otherwise complicated in some way

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

there are a lot of good sites for things out there, even the balance website is decent but lags far behind the content in the discord server. other sites are:

aether pf strats with macros https://www.thepfstrat.com/

toolboxes for visuals are by are instead of a vid https://ff14.toolboxgaming.space

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

W.T. Fits posted:

For Omega, I went with O3 and O5. For Eden, I went with E1 and E3. I don't know if those are the actual fastest ones, but they were the ones that I felt took the least amount of effort to grind through over and over again.

Noted! Still have 15 runs of A4 to go before I’m done with that step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Onean posted:

You can open that panel at any time, not just from the Workshop menu. It's the shell button on the overall IS menu.

thank you, not only is this good news for me but its great news for the people i chat with on discord who dont even play this game