Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Khizan posted:

TtH has some of my favorite moments in the series. So many good scenes, they're just all crammed into the last ~20% of the book. All the deaths that follow in Hood's wake as he walks Darujhistan. Endest Silann holding back the corruption. Seerdomin's last stand before the barrow of the Redeemer. The death of Rake. Spinnock Durav holding back Kallor at the crossroads.

Yeah the last 20% has enough badass moments to make anyone happy, its just getting to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dalmuti posted:

There were 3 brown dragons flying around in the azath, muchacho

In addition to the 1 already mentioned

Alas! I stand corrected!

(is it possible they were just large enkar'al?)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mischief posted:

For all of his faults as an author the guy can write a finale. I always appreciated, even with the weaker books, the point that he takes all these threads and stories and it just condenses into a few chapters of just incredibly well written chaos. There's a few other moments in the middle of the books but after you read a few of his finales you know it is worth pushing on through.

That said, y'all can loving have the Kharkanas trilogy. Just miserable books. Give me more Karsa.

Edit: It was Deadhouse Gates that ruined me. That is just a ridiculously well written horrible story.

This is funny because while he absolutely nails the endings throughout the series the actual last book has a very "oh....okay" ending to me. Like it wasn't bad but it was no Deadhouse Gates either

I just started reading the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach collections and it's the same issue, great build-ups and then weak endings throughout :shrug:

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Wolfsheim posted:

This is funny because while he absolutely nails the endings throughout the series the actual last book has a very "oh....okay" ending to me. Like it wasn't bad but it was no Deadhouse Gates either

I just started reading the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach collections and it's the same issue, great build-ups and then weak endings throughout :shrug:

It's all about the journey dude...

Namaste.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Alas! I stand corrected!

(is it possible they were just large enkar'al?)

My theory is they are gothos' d'ivers form

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Next ICE book getting closer to release. His last one was probably his worst effort since that first novella. Here's hoping though!

publisher posted:

After decades of warfare, Malazan forces are now close to consolidating the Quon Talian mainland. Yet it is at this moment that Emperor Kellanved orders a new campaign far to the north: the invasion of Falar.

Since the main Malazan armies are otherwise engaged in Quon Tali, a collection of orphaned units and broken squads has been brought together under Fist Dujek - himself recovering from the loss of an arm - to fight this new campaign. A somewhat rag-tag army, joined by a similarly motley fleet under the command of the Emperor himself.
There are however those who harbour doubts regarding the stewardship of Kellanved and his cohort Dancer, and as the Malazan force heads north, it encounters an unlooked-for and most unwelcome threat - unspeakable and born of legend, it has woken and will destroy all who stand in its way. Most appalled by this is Tayschrenn, the untested High Mage of the Empire. He is all-too aware of the true nature of this ancient horror - and his own inadequacy in having to confront it. Yet confront it he must, alongside the most unlikely of allies . . .
And then the theocracy of Falar is itself far from defenceless - its priests are in possession of a weapon so terrifying it has not been unleashed for centuries. Named the Jhistal, it was rumoured to be a gift from the sea-god Mael. But two can play at that game, for the Emperor sails towards Falar aboard his flagship Twisted - a vessel that is itself thought to be not entirely of this world . . .
Here, then, in the tracts of the Ice Wastes and among the islands of Falar, the Empire of Malaz faces two seemingly insurmountable tests - each one potentially the origin of its destruction . . .

These are bloody, turbulent and treacherous times for all caught up in the forging of the Malazan Empire.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not looking forward to ICE writing Tayschrenn again. That being said, the rest sounds pretty interesting.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

I'm not looking forward to ICE writing Tayschrenn again. That being said, the rest sounds pretty interesting.

In fairness, Erikson doesn't write Tayschrenn any better.
In MOI, he farts around the army doing gently caress-all, oblivious to Kallor and Gethol's scheming, only to get bumrushed moments before Whiskeyjack gets merked.
And then at the end of Bonehunters, when Shadowthrone pops in to say 'Hi', Tayschrenn :smuggo:s that if Quick Ben had needed his help to handle Icarium, he'd have been disappointed.

The main difference is that ICE writes Tayschrenn as if he's this complete badass, and in every scene he's just this vaguely autistic anti-social prick who does nothing to help anyone.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

kingturnip posted:

In fairness, Erikson doesn't write Tayschrenn any better.
In MOI, he farts around the army doing gently caress-all, oblivious to Kallor and Gethol's scheming, only to get bumrushed moments before Whiskeyjack gets merked.
And then at the end of Bonehunters, when Shadowthrone pops in to say 'Hi', Tayschrenn :smuggo:s that if Quick Ben had needed his help to handle Icarium, he'd have been disappointed.

The main difference is that ICE writes Tayschrenn as if he's this complete badass, and in every scene he's just this vaguely autistic anti-social prick who does nothing to help anyone.

Yah SE version of Tayshrenn is probably roughly on par with QB, because the line of defense against Icarium after QB and Trull was "literally Shadowthrone".

ICE plays him as a 30th level prestige class demigod.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Kind of a compliment to Quick Ben, honestly. Game knows game.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Just finished Toll the Hounds and I have to say this one was amazing. I've read a lot of reviews saying Erikson is too heady and crams a lot of philosophy into this book, which I can understand. Personally I really like philosophy so the book was a joy to read for me from start to finish, and the ending was wild. I think this, Memories of Ice, and Midnight Tides are tied as my favorite entries so far. The implications moving forward for the final two books are impossible to see and I'm really excited to read them.

My only complaint is that I couldn't really see the motivation for some of the characters making the moves they did at the end. Particularly regarding the events in Dragnipur, but I assume that I will learn about that later as well.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Returning to this thread after a few years has gotten me hyped so I'm about to start The God is not Willing. I tried to stay away from fantasy and be more of a Real Literature guy but finally realized I can enjoy both.

Depending on how this goes I might pickup my reread which got as far as finishing Deadhouse Gates.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I'm hopping back into this series after 12+ years away. I never finished Memories of Ice or House of Chains but turns out Deadhouse Gates is still a stunning book. I'm a quarter of the way through MoI now, we'll see how far I get this time.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

apophenium posted:

so I'm about to start The God is not Willing

Witness. That's a drat good book.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Malazan is such a fun series because pretty much everyone I know who has read the series has a different favorite book. I'm a Midnight Tides guy myself, my closest friend hated it but he comfortably has House of Chains as his favorite. My gal likes Deadhouse most, my reading group has essentially all settled on Reaper's Gale and my pops is full in on MoI. Sadly none of them liked Toll. I loved the ending but I just never dug Darujhistan that much.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

mischief posted:

Witness. That's a drat good book.

The prologue had me worried about bouncing off but chapter one had some classic soldier banter and I was instantly back in. Erikson's still got it. Seems like coming up with the character of Stillwater was a bit of a breakthrough for him. I love Stillwater.

And the humor is of course balanced with absolutely horrible things happening, too.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

apophenium posted:

Seems like coming up with the character of Stillwater was a bit of a breakthrough for him. I love Stillwater.

Agree, that name is just :kiss:

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I'm through the first part of House of Chains, past where I gave up the first time, and god sappers are just the best.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Just now finished The God is Not Willing. Fantastic. Kind of astonished how much of the series can back to me considering I've only read it once and finished The Crippled God eight or so years ago. Think I'm going to pick up a reread with Memories of Ice.

But seriously, how great was TGiNW? Very eager to see where Erikson takes Rant. His inevitable meeting with his father is going to be immense.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
It’s too obvious and wanted so he won’t write it

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

He'll write it but it'll be like when Felisin and Tavore were reunited

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Rant is going to meet his daddy and just want a hug from his old man, not to confront him over his birth or ask him about galactic conquest, and Karsa is going to like that and not be a dick about it.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
My bet is on Rant will end up wanting to violently confront Karsa, but Karsa falls to some big evil before he can meet him. This further enrages Rant and he destroys the big evil.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My money is that he ultimately want nothing to do with Karsa and that's what piques Karsa's interest. Since he'd be the first teblor unwilling to accept the chains of family even if he's too willing to accept the ones of obligation.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Just finished Dust of Dreams and I have to say I think this was my least favorite entry so far. I had a feeling this and The Crippled God were going to function as one big novel, with DoD being almost entirely buildup and TCG being almost entirely finale, and so it wasn't quite like that but almost. Hopefully TCG is a real banger. Going to read Stonewielder and Orb Sceptre Throne first though

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I really would not suggest breaking the two of them up. TCG is absolutely a real banger and Orb Sceptre Throne will just break up the momentum and is a much worse book.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

McSpankWich posted:

Going to read Stonewielder and Orb Sceptre Throne first though

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The proper reading order is all the main Malazan books then read the supplements then 2nd read through of the malazan main books but with supplements.

The Esselmont books are fine fantasy fare. Better than most fantasy books even! It just happens to be they are side stories to the malazan books which are much better

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

lol alright, I will jump straight into TCG then, the only reason I thought to read the other two first is because I read Return of the Crimson Guard before Toll the Hounds and the story told in there felt like absolutely necessary to read before at least Dust of Dreams, I wasn't sure if a similar thing would happen with Stonewielder and OST, since they come before it in the suggested reading order

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

McSpankWich posted:

lol alright, I will jump straight into TCG then, the only reason I thought to read the other two first is because I read Return of the Crimson Guard before Toll the Hounds and the story told in there felt like absolutely necessary to read before at least Dust of Dreams, I wasn't sure if a similar thing would happen with Stonewielder and OST, since they come before it in the suggested reading order

OST and stinewilder do tie up a few loose ends. Since you already read the other esselmonts before I change my vote to read them.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

There is a lot of nuance in DoD which you can't appreciate until you know the payoff in TCG. Which sucks. But on a second read you'll get all that foreshadowing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

McSpankWich posted:

Just finished Dust of Dreams and I have to say I think this was my least favorite entry so far. I had a feeling this and The Crippled God were going to function as one big novel, with DoD being almost entirely buildup and TCG being almost entirely finale, and so it wasn't quite like that but almost.

It is one big book. Literally the author tells you that at the beginning of the book and has confirmed that in interviews.

You should read TGC immediately following it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
So I decided I wanted to read a long rear end fantasy series, but one that didn’t have a major adaption. So I went with Malazan. I’m about 100 pages into the first book.

I am…tentatively on board with everything that has happened thus far. Essentially just finished up the first battle with the Moon castle thing and the fall of Pale.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Cool dude. Keep us posted how you like it. We always like hearing newbie impressions or answering questions.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Writing quality goes up significantly after Gardens of the Moon (not that the first book is poorly written).

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Midnight Tides has a slow start but thankfully Tehol is helping me push through.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
God drat Midnight Tides is some high tier fantasy. I got into it immediately and it couldve been twice as long and I would still love every second of it. Deadhouse Gates and Memories work it out quality wise but I feel like midnight tides is the one that hit me most.

TGG fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 12, 2022

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Kinda wish Paran would have stayed dead. I thought that was a pretty cool subversion, the closest thing the book had to a main character so far randomly getting merked.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Kinda wish Paran would have stayed dead. I thought that was a pretty cool subversion, the closest thing the book had to a main character so far randomly getting merked.
Paran has a very weird character arc regardless, at least IMO. He doesn't stay dead and becomes a cosmically powerful player in the game, but also stops being the reader self-insert immediately and becomes a cipher like Quick Ben, then he never really reconnects with any of the other protagonists for the rest of the story long-term. There's not really a trope for him or a trope that is being subverted, he's just a wild card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Paran is one of the weirdest characters in the series, they make sense but in the MOST confusing possible way. I like them but they are best in Memories of Ice and after that they kinda fall off.