Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
I'm really sorry LZR. Some cats do have hidden heart disease and can develop blood clots and die suddenly. If your kitty was well controlled on thyroid medications then that is unlikely to be the cause. I agree that 15 is a respectable age, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
Not sure if there are any exotics experts here or other threads where this questions might be better placed, but hoping for anyone who might have an idea as to what is killing our guinea pigs.

My wife and I are moving onto a new property and before we move ourselves and out other creatures out, we moved some of our lower maintenance pets so we could start the process of showing our old house for sale. This was going fine until 2 days ago when we showed up on the property to move things in and check on the animals. My wife noticed that one of the four guinea pigs we had was seriously ill, and his friend (we have two sets of two) was also not looking great either. They both showed signs of shaking, cold body temperature (we spent a lot of time trying to keep them warm) and lethargy.

Despite our best efforts the one that first showed signs died that night, and the second passed away the night after (last night).

This is very sad, but we are trying to discover what could have caused this sudden decline so that our other guinea pigs, rabbits and other animals aren't at risk of meeting the same fate. Our other two guinea pigs are in the same room right next to them, but haven't shown any signs of being sick, but we are worried that it could come on as suddenly as it did for the others. Nothing about their environment has changed (we moved their entire space out there) except for the space they are in. We fed all 4 some grass and dandelions from around our property, but otherwise the same food they had been eating since we got them.

Any ideas? My wife is getting concerned about moving the rest of our creatures out there.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Hello, does anyone here know of a good place to ask questions about a medical issue with my beloved family pet, a cockatiel. I live in a remote rural place and the closest avian vet is hours away(and unavailable anyway). Is there anyone around here who is interested in this that I should ask. Or is there some other place or way I can try to find out what's going on besides just googling symptoms.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Can anyone give me any info on bilateral patellar luxation surgery for a cat? Like how is the recovery? How successful is it usuall? A cat i recently rescued has Right knee grade 1 and Left knee grade 2-3. They recommended to operate on the left.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Can anyone give me any info on bilateral patellar luxation surgery for a cat? Like how is the recovery? How successful is it usuall? A cat i recently rescued has Right knee grade 1 and Left knee grade 2-3. They recommended to operate on the left.

Seems cruel to think about, but remember that amputation in pets is always an option, depending on quality of life and cost issues. They almost always do fine with one. Two, maybe not. In any case:

https://www.animalsurgicalcenter.com/storage/app/media/ASCM_docs/Patella_luxation/Discharge_Instructions_Patellar_Luxation_Cats.pdf

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

mcmagic posted:

How badly is it affecting the cat? How old is it? You asked about bilateral surgery - If you can avoid it, it's typically better to do one side at a time, and I'd say surgery on a low grade luxation on a cat is definitely something that could wait, or never be done at all.

Recovery is straight forward as long as you feel confident about being able to restrict activity for 6 to 8 weeks and the cat will tolerate you doing range of motion exercises with it. Success rate is something like 90 percent in cats and dogs, the smaller the animal the better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm not 100% sure how old he is. He's little around 7lbs. He walks and gets around now with basically intermittent limping but it's also a cat so I can't tell how much pain he's in if any. This is an extremely friendly cat so he could probably be OK with me doing exercises with him. Would he have to be splinted during recovery? I know that is very rough on cats.... I don't want to put him through the recover if he's getting around relatively well now but the rescue I work with thinks that the grade 2 leg is the one we should do and just that side. I'll do whatever needs to be done for his recovery and I'm probably going to adopt him after anyway so I'm thinking about what is better for him long term.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

mcmagic posted:

I'm not 100% sure how old he is. He's little around 7lbs. He walks and gets around now with basically intermittent limping but it's also a cat so I can't tell how much pain he's in if any. This is an extremely friendly cat so he could probably be OK with me doing exercises with him. Would he have to be splinted during recovery? I know that is very rough on cats.... I don't want to put him through the recover if he's getting around relatively well now but the rescue I work with thinks that the grade 2 leg is the one we should do and just that side. I'll do whatever needs to be done for his recovery and I'm probably going to adopt him after anyway so I'm thinking about what is better for him long term.
I've never seen a leg splinted after a trochleoplasty, but can't speak for every surgeon. Typically you want them to be able to use the limb (very cautiously) and start range of motion exercises within a couple days after surgery. They'll wrap the entire leg in a very large bandage for the first 24 hours, but that's it.

The 'gold standard' would be to correct the leg with the more pronounced luxation to avoid possible arthritis down the line, but I've seen a loooot of cats with luxations go about their lives without issue. If the rescue hasn't spoken to an ortho surgeon about the case, I'd start with a consult there. Depending on your area, the surgery may be performed by just a regular gp, and honestly, if they've done enough of them, I don't think that's a terrible way to go, but getting a board certified orthopedic surgeon to weigh in on it before going to surgery wouldn't be a bad idea if it's an option.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My dog's rear end is abscessed, on a saturday evening when the vet is closed until monday, but the emergency vet was too busy and sent me to vetster.com for a televet. I was able to consult w/ a vet and get instructions and a prescription called in for about $100 within a couple of hours (to get us through until my regular vet is open). It was really clutch

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

So I have a follow-follow-up regarding my 12 year old female kitty Boogie. She's been an overgroomer all of her life, but it started getting real bad last fall - she licked her hind legs drat near clear and her skin got a bit rough. Regular appetite, regular bathroom usage and no blood in her stool. She got a two week run of an anti-anxiolytic and antibiotics. That seemed to do the trick as her skin healed, hair softened and started to grow back.

First follow-up last week after symptoms returned, minus the rough skin, the vet suspected neuropathic pain and gave her gabapentin 12.5mg (?!) which seems to have worsened things. At best the gabapentin makes her agitated for an hour then sleepy for 2-3. If she isn't grooming her legs she's now taken to scratching her head and neck area to the point she's broken skin. If she isn't laying on me or in her cone of shame, she's either licking, scratching or sleeping.

There are other pets in the household but she is isolated from them because she does NOT play well with others. Her environment hasn't changed at all through the course of this, nor has her appetite or food/feeding schedule, she's got two litter boxes all to herself.

I'm assuming because of the broken skin she'll definitely be getting more antibiotics.

My question is should I go back to the anti-anxiolytic on a more permanent course since it had proven short-term effects or ask about something like an anti-allergen, or yes?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
When my cat went to the vet they said she seemed to have inflamed gums and needed a dental exam, but it costs $500, which is more than I can afford. Is there any way to clean my cat's teeth at home, or places that provide charitable care to pets?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

NotNut posted:

When my cat went to the vet they said she seemed to have inflamed gums and needed a dental exam, but it costs $500, which is more than I can afford. Is there any way to clean my cat's teeth at home, or places that provide charitable care to pets?
Sorry, 500 was for a dental exam or dental cleaning? I'm assuming the latter.

There are certainly some products you can try - https://www.vohc.org will have some veterinarian recommended options. Brushing is always helpful, provided your cat will tolerate it. For cats who won't, there are some dental treats and some water additives that can help with dental health.

Depending on how bad the inflammation is, and what's causing it, home care might not be enough to deal with it, but there's definitely no harm in trying. Even if you end up requiring the dental cleaning, finding a product that your cat likes will help prevent or at least delay the need for another cleaning down the line.

Is something like care credit an option for you?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So we have a few cats that have gotten fleas all over them. I wanted to do a borax treatment of one of the rooms - leave it on the floor, then vacuum it up an hour later. However, there is a leopard gecko in a cage in that room. What should I do? Remove the leopard gecko enclosure? Will the borax get in the air and affect the gecko?

Turk182
Feb 28, 2009

NotNut posted:

They sell kits at most pet stores. Usually has a thing that fits over your finger you can use to safely clean them.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Reposting from another forum, would be super appreciative if anyone has some thoughts:

quote:

Species: Domestic cat
Sex/Neuter status: Female, spayed
Type: Shorthair
Body weight: 9.3 pounds

History:

When we first adopted her from the SPCA (at age 7 -- details of life with prior owner are not known), this cat did have a few hairless patches. The vet at the SPCA said it was probably behavioral or psychological. We took her home and treated her well and within about 6 weeks the hair was nearly 100% grown back.

In January 2022, we went to stay with in-laws. The patch developed at this time. It is possible that some environmental factor (such as mites/etc.) contributed, or perhaps the fact that there was a yappy and invasive dog also living in the house which the cat did not like.

A bald patch developed on the inside of the cat's right hind leg at this time. We came back home after about one week, thinking that the change in environment would resolve this hair patch as it had the ones when we adopted her. However, at this point it's been 7 months, and the hair loss has not resolved.

We've tried flea and tick collars and medications and switching to a food-allergy eliminating diet, but nothing seems to work, and the area is still nearly bald with just a tiny bit of fuzz.

She does not seem bothered by it. There are no other hairless areas on her body. She doesn't excessively groom any parts of her body, including her leg.

The vet suggested that it may be anxiety or arthritis -- but she lives in the same low-stress environment (no kids, no other animals) that solved her last hairlessness, and her movement is so spry that we would be pretty shocked if she had arthritis.

Here are pictures of the spot:

https://imgur.com/a/9yncAQ0

Is there any high-likelihood scenario for this type of single-spot hair loss? Or any suggested route of investigation? Perhaps we should just try a different vet?

Thank you!

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Hi all,

my older Chihuahua was at the vet recently and we got some blood work done and everything came back within normal limits except for the BUN which was like 35 and their reference range was about 15-30. Creatinine was 1.5 out of 1.0-1.6 so high-normal.

I know BUN can be impacted by fluid-volume status so I'm not freaking out but still her creatinine is a bit high and I want to slow any further loss of renal function. She's 14-15 years old so hopefully she can have a few more quality years of health and comfort. What can I do to promote her kidney health?

Right now I do the following:

-keep her weight down through activity and strict diet
-diet is 8g Ziwi twice daily (it's expensive but only $.50/daily in the quantities she eats)
-daily toothbrushing and I use Oxygene water additive for her teeth

E: picture for reference :D

lil poopendorfer fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 23, 2022

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

My wife got a puppy that was microchipped through a company that wants $180 to register it. Is there a way to register it without going through this scummy company? I'm not sure the Vet understood what we are trying to do and told us we could do a second microchip but it isn't recommended because it would confuse the person reading the chip in the future.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

lwoodio posted:

My wife got a puppy that was microchipped through a company that wants $180 to register it. Is there a way to register it without going through this scummy company? I'm not sure the Vet understood what we are trying to do and told us we could do a second microchip but it isn't recommended because it would confuse the person reading the chip in the future.
Yes and no. You can technically register any chip with any company (more or less), but it can lead to confusion. If it scans as say, an AVID chip, whoever finds the dog will call avid, who will say they have no record of a registration on that chip, which depending on how bored/busy the person doing the scanning is, may end the search right there. If they're a bit more ambitious and use a universal chip lookup site, they may find your pup's registration, they may not.

You're right to be put off by a 180 dollar fee though, that's insane. I'd call a couple companies and ensure you find one that reports to the AAHA universal database.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Short version: I'm in the US looking for someone who can interpret the kind of technical Spanish that a Mexican veterinarian would write, to help figure out whether or not my brother's adopted dog has a uterus.

Long version: in February, my brother and sister-in-law adopted a smallish adult terrier-type dog from Mexico. They went through a reputable agency and they have all of the dog's medical records and we all think the dog was spayed, though only after she had had at least one litter. However, during the week of July 18th, the dog showed signs of going into heat, namely bleeding. My brother took the dog to a local veterinarian. The veterinarian surmised that the dog probably has an ovarian remnant and mentioned that she may be at risk of developing pyometra, among other things, but was pretty vague overall. The dog is acting normal and does not seem to be in pain.

Now, if the dog doesn't have a uterus, then she can't have a uterine lining, right? And if she doesn't have a uterine lining, then she won't develop cysts in her non-existent uterine lining no matter what her possible ovarian remnant does, right?

But among our friends and family, there is no overlap between the people who have any amount of medical or veterinary expertise and the people who can read Mexican Spanish; so when we look at the dog's records from when she was spayed, we don't know if the previous veterinarian removed her uterus and (most of) her ovaries or just (most of) her ovaries. Without that information, the next best option is to have the local veterinarian do an ultrasound, which would mean $500 out of pocket for my brother and SIL plus a lot of discomfort for the dog. Another option would be exploratory surgery at an unknown cost and even more discomfort.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next?

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Can't promise I can help but can you post the paperwork you want translated? I'm in Mexico and going to a vet in 3 weeks time, or possibly sooner.

Anyway, my cat ate a loving used condom out of the trash and I didn't notice until I saw the scraps of it cleaning his litterbox. I did some incredibly gross CSI stuff to dissolve his poop and compare the condom scraps to another condom and it looked like 95% of it was there, including all of the band around the base. He's eating normally, not vomiting or sore around the stomach. Would it still be irresponsible to not take him for an x-ray at this point?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, thread. I'm posting this here as a last step before going to the e-vet, since it's past normal hours for the regular vet now.

I have an 11 year old pit bull, and the last few days, she'd been having weird poops. Normal color and amount, but like, slightly loose, with and without mucus. She likes to try to eat rabbit poop whenever she thinks we're not looking, and that's usually how it presents, so we didn't think much of it. Until last night, when she woke up on the hour, every hour, to be let outside to have terrible diarrhea. I went to work at 7am, and the wife called me en route to tell me she vomited her breakfast, and then bile and foam in a second bout of vomit minutes later.

We had just purchased a bag of her normal food, but from a dollar store kinda place, and at the time, I placed the blame on that. It's a dollar store, maybe the food was bad, we bought it literally the day before she started having weird poops, so maybe that's it, we figure. We haven't seen her get into anything at all in the last 48 hours, so it must be the food, we'll throw it out and get more from a less shady business tomorrow.

Eventually, she stops pooping around 10am, so the wife makes her as comfortable as she can in the kitchen, gives her a bowl of water, and leaves for her job. Everything seems normal from there. I get home around 4pm, see she's not made any messes, I take her out, she pees, but doesn't poop. This is expected, as she's not eaten anything in nearly 24 hours by that point. We continue to not feed her, but give her water, and a bit of really watered down chicken broth, to see how she handles that. She's not vomited since this morning, but she got antsy to go outside just a minute ago(around 7pm), so we took her out, where she had another relatively small bout of diarrhea, this time with a light streak of bright red blood in it. This, understandably, freaks us out a bit.

So, what's the general advice here? Should we take her to the e-vet? Should we try to let her ride out the night and see if things change either way? She seems uncomfortable, but honestly, I've had food poisoning before, and it's definitely not fun, but... I dunno, I'm not even sure I'm having the appropriate reaction here. My first instinct is that she's gotta be empty by now, the blood was probably from straining to poop that final time, and she's probably going through a stomach bug, and so the vet ultimately won't really be able to do anything specific to help. But, there's always that nagging voice asking what if I'm wrong, you know?

What do you goons think?

EDIT: She made it through the night just fine. Got up to pee an hour ago and is now napping again. We haven't given her any solid food since about 5pm Thursday. We bought some canned chicken, pumpkin, and unless someone tells me otherwise in the next 15 minutes, we're gonna make that together and give her a bit and see how she does.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 20, 2022

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
My cat is overweight so I've been reducing her calories for the past week, but over the last few days she's started throwing up. The day before yesterday I caught her hacking and put her outside so I don't know whether she did throw up or not, but last night she threw up twice. Some of it was dry food that looked like it hadn't even been chewed. Does anyone know what might be going on?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've got a 18ish year old cat who has been diagnosed with a fibrosarcoma. The lump is fairly fast growing. It isn't somewhere that can be amputated (top of front leg around the bone) and it isn't operable. I guess he will probably die from it, and he already has other health problems, like a consistently low body temperature that the vet has no idea about, and pancreas that isn't really working - digestive enzyme supplement has been helping him keep his food down and he is maintaining his weight. I guess my question is, how is this going to play out? When do I know the time is right? He's the oldest cat I've ever had and I don't want to miss the opportunity to make his passing as kind as possible. Right now he's still eating, walking, not in pain. He seems happy, he still humps his brother and demands pets and snuggles. He's still himself and he seems like he still wants to be alive. I've seen some seriously ill/actively dying cats before (lost my FIV+ first cat to liver failure, another to some sudden cardiac problem, and another to acute pancreatitis) so I know what a very unwell cat looks like, and I don't want him to get to that point, but I also don't want to leave it for too long.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

NotNut posted:

My cat is overweight so I've been reducing her calories for the past week, but over the last few days she's started throwing up. The day before yesterday I caught her hacking and put her outside so I don't know whether she did throw up or not, but last night she threw up twice. Some of it was dry food that looked like it hadn't even been chewed. Does anyone know what might be going on?

don't make an obese cat stop eating suddenly without going to a vet first. they can get hepatic lipidosis which is often fatal. go to a vet right now

source: check my posts a few pages back. my first cat died of it

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Stoca Zola posted:

I've got a 18ish year old cat who has been diagnosed with a fibrosarcoma. The lump is fairly fast growing. It isn't somewhere that can be amputated (top of front leg around the bone) and it isn't operable. I guess he will probably die from it, and he already has other health problems, like a consistently low body temperature that the vet has no idea about, and pancreas that isn't really working - digestive enzyme supplement has been helping him keep his food down and he is maintaining his weight. I guess my question is, how is this going to play out? When do I know the time is right? He's the oldest cat I've ever had and I don't want to miss the opportunity to make his passing as kind as possible. Right now he's still eating, walking, not in pain. He seems happy, he still humps his brother and demands pets and snuggles. He's still himself and he seems like he still wants to be alive. I've seen some seriously ill/actively dying cats before (lost my FIV+ first cat to liver failure, another to some sudden cardiac problem, and another to acute pancreatitis) so I know what a very unwell cat looks like, and I don't want him to get to that point, but I also don't want to leave it for too long.
All the stereotypical advice applies - More bad days than good, Better a day too early than too late, etc. The truth is outside of some edge cases, if you love your cat, you get the timing right. You love them too much to say goodbye too early, but you also love them too much to watch them suffer, so it just sort of works out.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks, I think you're right. I've gotten used to making the decision for my fish, but cats are a lot different. I definitely left it too long for my FIV+ cat, but I didn't know he had FIV until 2 weeks before he died, and didn't know his liver had failed until maybe a day or two before he died. I'd already decided it was time because he had gone downhill so fast but he went quicker than I had planned for, while I was at work. Finding him cold and stiff on the floor still haunts me, nearly 20 years later. Hopefully I am better at being able to tell if a cat is suffering now, they hide it so well.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
There are some more objective assessments here that might assist with your decision making:

https://www.lapoflove.com/how-will-i-know-it-is-time/lap-of-love-quality-of-life-scale.pdf
https://www.lapoflove.com/quality-of-life-assessment

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

That's really helpful, and I guess I was mentally going through some of these things already but seeing it in black and white helps me feel like I haven't missed anything. This has helped me confirm that his quality of life is still pretty good even though he has a tumor bigger than an egg at the top of his leg. Sometimes it felt like wishful thinking that he was still okay but he really does seem not bothered by it at this stage and his overall condition aside from the lump has been pretty stable for around 2 years. It will be useful to check back on this scale as things progress.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
At work a customer brought in a vehicle with a kitten stuck above the gas tank so i ended up taking her home. She's 2.1 lbs so im guessing around 6-8 weeks old. I have an appt with a vet in 2 weeks but until then should I be cleaning her or will she clean her self?

She's eating hard food and soft food every 4 or so hours so I think shes healthy in that regard but I dunno about the cleaning part. She spends a lot of time hiding in the liter box in her room when I don't have her out with the other cats so thats why im a little concerned!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’ve got an elderly pug who has atrophy in his back legs, and I was thinking about getting a wheel chair or something similar to help him get around. Any recommendations?

E: This would mostly be for indoor use.

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 16, 2022

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Our cat died today and I’m curious if maybe someone here can help me to understand what happened.

He was 15-16 and we were told about 8 months ago he has a cancerous mass. We took him in as he had been having issues keeping on weight. I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely sure where the mass was as I was not present at these appointments. He was my partner’s cat and we’re both pretty broken up but her extremely so, and I don’t really want to ask at the moment. We were given steroids to help with his appetite which we gave him daily.

I noticed him seeming a bit lethargic and losing weight again over the past two weeks. His appetite wasn’t as good but he was still eating and drinking. This wasn’t particularly concerning to us as he had gone up and down in weight since his diagnosis. I didn’t notice anything of concern in his litter box over this time. He didn’t eat much of his breakfast or midday snack yesterday so we gave him an appetite stimulant that the vet gave us, and he ate the rest of his food for the day well.

This morning he ran into the kitchen normally for breakfast, he ate a bit of it and walked off so I gave him some of those kitty gogurt meat snacks and he ate 3 of those. He was behaving normally and was in my office with me sleeping in his bed.

About 2 hours later, he got out of the bed and puked up all of the food he ate and then went to his litter box and went to the living room. I didn’t think anything of it because this had happened occasionally over the last few months. I cleaned up the puke and as I finished he came back into the office. I noticed he was breathing heavily and when I looked at his face he was drooling and had something around his mouth (I say something because I’m not sure if it was some puke or some sort of foaming at the mouth reaction).

When I touched him he walked away from me and went under my chair and started yowling and hissing. I picked him up and put him in a cat carrier and started driving to the vet and he stopped breathing when I wasn’t even half a mile from my house. This all probably happened over the course of less than 10 minutes from when he came back into the office. I mentioned that there hadn’t been anything of concern in his litter box earlier because when I got back home I noticed there was a bloody loose stool in the box.

I know there was nothing I could do with how fast this happened, I’m just wondering if anyone can shine some light on what may have happened internally. This was pretty traumatic and I’m sorry for the wall of text, I just needed to get it out somewhere I suppose.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Holefoods I can't answer your question but that sounds horrendous for you, I'm sorry.

I have a cat with what I think is a bilateral eye infection. He was fine this afternoon and now he's in obvious discomfort, rubbing his eyes, and there's some clear fluid weeping and some eye bogies.

It's approaching midnight on a Friday. Can I wait and see if there's an improvement over the weekend? From my understanding, feline conjunctivitis is pretty common and clears up by itself.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

You can get Terramycin ointment on Amazon and apply it twice a day. Probably watch a video on how to do so because you should take extra care with cleanliness and it's hard for me to describe.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I honestly don’t know what to say and I really feel for you, especially as someone with a 13 year old cat of their own. Your Trina has been shared with me and I feel your pain, not to the degree you do but enough to understand what you’re going through.

I wish I had answers but I don’t. I hope that at least you can get the vet to explain what the hell happened. Not having closure is awful. :( Hugs if you want em.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

holefoods posted:

Our cat died today and I’m curious if maybe someone here can help me to understand what happened.

He was 15-16 and we were told about 8 months ago he has a cancerous mass. We took him in as he had been having issues keeping on weight. I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely sure where the mass was as I was not present at these appointments. He was my partner’s cat and we’re both pretty broken up but her extremely so, and I don’t really want to ask at the moment. We were given steroids to help with his appetite which we gave him daily.

I noticed him seeming a bit lethargic and losing weight again over the past two weeks. His appetite wasn’t as good but he was still eating and drinking. This wasn’t particularly concerning to us as he had gone up and down in weight since his diagnosis. I didn’t notice anything of concern in his litter box over this time. He didn’t eat much of his breakfast or midday snack yesterday so we gave him an appetite stimulant that the vet gave us, and he ate the rest of his food for the day well.

This morning he ran into the kitchen normally for breakfast, he ate a bit of it and walked off so I gave him some of those kitty gogurt meat snacks and he ate 3 of those. He was behaving normally and was in my office with me sleeping in his bed.

About 2 hours later, he got out of the bed and puked up all of the food he ate and then went to his litter box and went to the living room. I didn’t think anything of it because this had happened occasionally over the last few months. I cleaned up the puke and as I finished he came back into the office. I noticed he was breathing heavily and when I looked at his face he was drooling and had something around his mouth (I say something because I’m not sure if it was some puke or some sort of foaming at the mouth reaction).

When I touched him he walked away from me and went under my chair and started yowling and hissing. I picked him up and put him in a cat carrier and started driving to the vet and he stopped breathing when I wasn’t even half a mile from my house. This all probably happened over the course of less than 10 minutes from when he came back into the office. I mentioned that there hadn’t been anything of concern in his litter box earlier because when I got back home I noticed there was a bloody loose stool in the box.

I know there was nothing I could do with how fast this happened, I’m just wondering if anyone can shine some light on what may have happened internally. This was pretty traumatic and I’m sorry for the wall of text, I just needed to get it out somewhere I suppose.
Hopefully by now you have reached out to your vet for some clarity, if not, you should feel free to. I was hoping one of this thread's vets would answer this for you, but it's a slow moving thread in a slow moving forum, I suppose. For what it's worth, without knowing the type/location of the mass, it's hard to say what may have happened, but a sudden death like that would lead me to guess the mass may have ruptured, causing internal bleeding.

Lady Demelza posted:

Holefoods I can't answer your question but that sounds horrendous for you, I'm sorry.

I have a cat with what I think is a bilateral eye infection. He was fine this afternoon and now he's in obvious discomfort, rubbing his eyes, and there's some clear fluid weeping and some eye bogies.

It's approaching midnight on a Friday. Can I wait and see if there's an improvement over the weekend? From my understanding, feline conjunctivitis is pretty common and clears up by itself.
Not sure if you've addressed this yet or not, but eye infections should be treated promptly, but aren't necessarily an emergency. Keep in mind, especially right now, your usual vet may not be able to get you in same day, or even next day, so you're potentially looking at Wednesday before being able to get in. If the eyes don't seem to be getting worse than they currently are, it could probably wait, but with the understanding that they can worsen quickly, and result in corneal ulcers. In short, it's a little bit of a gamble. If money is tight, keep a close eye on it and call first thing Monday morning (like, *first* thing - everybody else who had a minor issue over the weekend is calling Monday morning too). If you can swing an er visit without much financial pain, I'd recommend it. Eyes are sensitive tissue, and you only get the two.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

The mass was in his liver. Unfortunately, the vet was its own awful experience and I’m not going back or communicating with them anymore. When I got there I told them he had died on the way over and they had me sign and pay for his cremation and then they told me to go outside and walk around to the back. I didn’t really understand why, I had never like…shown up with a dead pet and when I asked why I was going around back they just said “that’s the best way to get there.” We had another cat that had to be put down suddenly and they gave us a room and let us sit with him. Well, they had asked me to go around back because they were just taking him then and there to put in the morgue or whatever. Me being shocked and clueless I thought they were going to clean him up a bit and put him in a room for us… thankfully my girlfriend showed up right then who knew what they were doing from working at a vet and told them to give us a room so we could have a minute.

Never saw the actual vet, they didn’t check in to express any condolences or anything. Kept having to go into the hall and wave down various techs to ask details about the cremation and a paw print kit, etc. despite being given one of those buzzer things. No one ever came when we used it. So, yeah, pretty lovely on top of everything. I know vets are busy and I’m understanding about things like that to my detriment but it was just crappy. I get that like.. they didn’t do any service for us to put us in a room or anything but I guess I’m naive enough to think you should just be decent and give people a moment to mourn.

I’m kind of okay with not knowing at this point. It wouldn’t have really changed anything. I had a gut feeling it was getting close to the end and I’m sorry that he went that way, I would’ve liked for it to have been peaceful for him. I figured he probably had another month or so. His quality of life was still okay, he didn’t need any help getting around or functioning so I’m at least glad I didn’t have to see him get to that point and make the decision to put him down.

holefoods fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 25, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

holefoods posted:

Never saw the actual vet, they didn’t check in to express any condolences or anything. Kept having to go into the hall and wave down various techs to ask details about the cremation and a paw print kit, etc. despite being given one of those buzzer things. No one ever came when we used it. So, yeah, pretty lovely on top of everything. I know vets are busy and I’m understanding about things like that to my detriment but it was just crappy. I get that like.. they didn’t do any service for us to put us in a room or anything but I guess I’m naive enough to think you should just be decent and give people a moment to mourn.
I'm sorry to hear all that. Charitably, they may not have realized you hadn't already said your goodbyes (sometimes folks bring in a deceased pet for cremation purposes fully intending to just drop them off), but also, sometimes clinics just suck.

Being a liver mass, I suspect my guess might have been correct. Liver masses are often hemangiosarcomas, which tend to eventually rupture. I know it must have been hard to watch, but as you said, at least he didn't suffer a long slow decline.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We got any cat GI/IBD experts here?

Jet went in for an abdominal ultrasound today. It was unremarkable save the following:

- Small intestine wall thickness is upper limits normal to minimally thick, with retention of layering; no discrete abnormalities
- Caecum has mild thickening, lumen is distended with fluid
- Mesenteric nodes are prominent
- Ileocolic nodes are enlarged, with normal shape

I have a pretty crucial question. Spoilered so as not to color initial thoughts on the above:

To me, it sounds like there is/was some sort of infection or otherwise immune response localized to the caecum that was accompanied by inflammation and buildup of fluid. It could be a bacteria, it could be a parasite, it could be an allergic reaction to food, it could be a gross bug he ate, no idea why.

But the vet sounded worried about the results and said that due to the enlarged lymph nodes, there’s the possibility of small-cell lymphoma. They recommended a GI panel and a biopsy. IANAV/D, but I do like knowing exactly what the hell is going on, so I consented to the GI panel and said that I’d be open to exploring biopsy options depending on the rest. No news on the GI panel yet, prolly in tomorrow.

My question is: given that my cat is experiencing soft-to-liquidy stool (it varies) and is otherwise asymptomatic, what are the chances this is chronic like an allergy or IBD, and the chances this is acute like a bacteria or parasite?

It’s impossible for me to tell whether this is chronic inflammation from IBD developed in old age, or just a one-off infection or flare-up that needs time to heal. If it’s the latter, good, if it’s the former, manageable but we might need meds. Then there’s the “oh my god small-cell cancer” option which I don’t know what to think of. Cancer gets us all eventually unless something else does first, so :shrug:

Anyway, for now he’s fine and is not actively dying, so yay. In fact he gained a little weight!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh yeah I almost forgot

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

We got any cat GI/IBD experts here?

Jet went in for an abdominal ultrasound today. It was unremarkable save the following:

- Small intestine wall thickness is upper limits normal to minimally thick, with retention of layering; no discrete abnormalities
- Caecum has mild thickening, lumen is distended with fluid
- Mesenteric nodes are prominent
- Ileocolic nodes are enlarged, with normal shape

I have a pretty crucial question. Spoilered so as not to color initial thoughts on the above:

To me, it sounds like there is/was some sort of infection or otherwise immune response localized to the caecum that was accompanied by inflammation and buildup of fluid. It could be a bacteria, it could be a parasite, it could be an allergic reaction to food, it could be a gross bug he ate, no idea why.

But the vet sounded worried about the results and said that due to the enlarged lymph nodes, there’s the possibility of small-cell lymphoma. They recommended a GI panel and a biopsy. IANAV/D, but I do like knowing exactly what the hell is going on, so I consented to the GI panel and said that I’d be open to exploring biopsy options depending on the rest. No news on the GI panel yet, prolly in tomorrow.

My question is: given that my cat is experiencing soft-to-liquidy stool (it varies) and is otherwise asymptomatic, what are the chances this is chronic like an allergy or IBD, and the chances this is acute like a bacteria or parasite?

It’s impossible for me to tell whether this is chronic inflammation from IBD developed in old age, or just a one-off infection or flare-up that needs time to heal. If it’s the latter, good, if it’s the former, manageable but we might need meds. Then there’s the “oh my god small-cell cancer” option which I don’t know what to think of. Cancer gets us all eventually unless something else does first, so :shrug:

Anyway, for now he’s fine and is not actively dying, so yay. In fact he gained a little weight!

Did they sample the lymph nodes? In the UK we do most of our ultrasounds under sedation so sampling is easy. If you're in the US maybe it was conscious so they didn't. A lot of cats with those signs do well with a change in diet or a hypoallergenic diet. Otherwise, you can look into endoscopy or surgical biopsies for a definite answer re: IBD/cander etc. You're probably best just going to an Internal Medicine specialist rather than faffinf