Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jagged Jim posted:

The Marriage Partner of My Dreams just finished up. It was a bit short at six chapters but a nice read nonetheless.
Powerful AV+post combo, and also a very powerful manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Catching up on recommendations:

Strip the Flesh is one I already read about a year or two ago, and I remember that it made me have some Serious Thoughts, so I thank/curse it for that.

I binged through all of Yuureitou and I'm surprised I never came across this one before, it really feels like it should have found its way into my orbit. In addition to the obvious giallo influence it gave me some serious PS1-era horror game vibes. You've got your puzzle-powered clock tower, your invincible bag-headed murder man, an underground trap dungeon, a secret medical lab hidden in an inexplicable western castle, all the good stuff.
The gender stuff was messy as advertised and the author is clearly a little misinformed, but I guess it all felt appropriately messy to me given the genre, tone, time period, completely bonkers villain etc.? I might just be super desensitized to the genre but it didn't particularly offend my sensibilities and I'm not sure how much of it I would actually label as "problematic" as opposed to just "ugly."
Anyway that's a lot of words. I liked it overall.

Starting on Boys Run the Riot now, it was conveniently on sale at comixology. I'm still very early in, and I can't tell if this is going to be one of those coming-of-age stories that leaves me feeling optimistic or depressed. I always feel the shadow of Bad Times looming over my head when I read this kind of stuff.

I guess what I'm realizing is that stories grounded in reality fill me with significantly more dread than horror stories, lol

Libra fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 25, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ps1 horror game is right on, like total clock tower vibe throughout which is funny considering the actual clock tower.
its been a while since i read yuureitou but the bits i were thinking as problematic was mostly the gender stuff, but i really just meant it as another way to say messy. i have a tendency to do that, i should get better at that.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Oh it definitely gets problematic in places (the cop who's into little boys getting treated as One of Us Good but Misunderstood Queers) but it's so completely all over the place that I'm not sure where I would draw the line in specific places, haha.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Libra posted:

Oh it definitely gets problematic in places (the cop who's into little boys getting treated as One of Us Good but Misunderstood Queers) but it's so completely all over the place that I'm not sure where I would draw the line in places, haha.

oh chirst i completely forgot about that
i should do a reread

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the lgbt thread problematic hall of fame:

yuureitou
murcielago
himegoto juukyuusai no seifuku

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Libra posted:

I guess what I'm realizing is that stories grounded in reality fill me with significantly more dread than horror stories, lol

that completely makes sense to me tbh. reading realistic down-to-earth stories about trans people facing realistic down-to-earth problems always feels a little bit like staring directly into the sun, it's less painful if you put a filter of unreality over it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Weirdly cathartic.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Heck yeah, smash the gender barrier.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Praying for Fuji's success.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm going to put in a recommendation for X-Gender by Asuka Miyazaki here on account of them being exceptionally goony

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

what a menace i wish she was real

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 31, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
she is the ideal, i love her and i am in love with her

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lass is a new series that just started, which sounds like my jam and also my marmalade.

I Won 300 Million Yen in a Lottery so I Started Raising a Freeloader Pretty Girl is the title of a series that started out at some point and that I hadn't heard of.

Also:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hey you know the meme from years ago.

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/999303992516624385?s=20&t=MtT0pPmaLpRUpyv-A3Lw4g

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/1002565525124206592?s=20&t=MtT0pPmaLpRUpyv-A3Lw4g

Well the artist continued it this week.

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/1564624126278451206?s=20&t=MtT0pPmaLpRUpyv-A3Lw4g

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/1565051904115101696?s=20&t=MtT0pPmaLpRUpyv-A3Lw4g

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thuryl posted:

that completely makes sense to me tbh. reading realistic down-to-earth stories about trans people facing realistic down-to-earth problems always feels a little bit like staring directly into the sun, it's less painful if you put a filter of unreality over it

Well, yeah. But for me, that’s what make the down-to-earth ones impactful. It’s more personal, easier to connect with. More painful, sometimes, but that’s important. Only getting fantasy and unreality is like only eating ice cream - you’ll get sick. Have some meat and potatoes.

Unfortunately those are in short supply :( though works like Stripping the Flesh are great, despite being tough reads :negative:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hey you know the meme from years ago.

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/1565349635467579393?s=20&t=AAGEkTzttp5H6o3vQBVQwg

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pas is a good follow in general. I would recommend.

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/1385231956976148480?s=20&t=qQJDLnio6Iny3HE-95DFUg

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Pas is a genius, I feel.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I didn't know this was the same artist who did that egg thinking emoji comic. Good artist

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/1018872960751415296/photo/1

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Looking at that artist and they retweeted this one shot which is very gender:

https://mobile.twitter.com/squipkechi/status/1531283951423471616

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
pas is like the artist who does like the more "meme-y" style of lgbt stuff i like

in other news new Brides of Iberis
she is sorta bad at this whole keeping things separated thing

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

pas is like the artist who does like the more "meme-y" style of lgbt stuff i like

in other news new Brides of Iberis
she is sorta bad at this whole keeping things separated thing

this chapter did the crab scissors meme to me

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Shiroc posted:

I'm going to put in a recommendation for X-Gender by Asuka Miyazaki here on account of them being exceptionally goony

they're great, it's like if the author of My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness were 50% less depressed and anxious but also 50% more of a weirdo to make up for it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Cephas posted:

I didn't know this was the same artist who did that egg thinking emoji comic. Good artist

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/1018872960751415296/photo/1

https://twitter.com/paxiti/status/1288474386995933185

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Cute trans comics are the only thing blessed and pure in this corrupt, fallen world.

I read Double House. Why is it so good?? Why is it so short?????

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i honestly think double house gets a lot out of being so short. its just an extremely short, extremely casual blip into a handful of people's lives. of course id have loved 500 chapters of it, but iunno, i think its neat.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i started reading aoi hana. this was the first manga i ever read. i think i somehow missed the last volume.

there's an author's note in like volume 3 that she felt uncomfortable early on, which i think kinda shows in Fumi/Sugi's relationship.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand i just saw this is the same author that did Wandering Son holy poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shimura Takako manga is definitely A Thing. Often messy but extremely formative.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I personally feel her stuff rarely holds together. Her casts feel disjointed and the focus is meandering. The stories often feel like they're not delivering on their promises as they wander here and there. Which I have seen readers invested in the lgbt elements express frustration in when the stories are there— instead of here. And often things just end up ringing hollow. Her works often feel like they want to occupy the space outside of genre fiction, but feel like they have little to say compared to an Ikoku Nikki for example.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 4, 2022

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Her manga aren't perfect, but I also feel like, she treats her characters gently and with dignity while the themes are about socially difficult topics, so I can't say anything too bad about her. Just that there are high school yuri manga and coming of age trans stories that I find more compelling by comparison. But I still thought Aoi Hana was very pretty and Hourou Musuko was an eye-opening manga in terms of seeing a realistic trans story being depicted with sensitivity.

Her watercolors make me really happy whenever I see them

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Well I liked it but Pon-chan disappearing because there’s suddenly six new side characters was sad. Her brief plot moment at the end was absolutely heartwarming though and definitely a highlight of the later chapters.

It definitely felt… restrained. I’d almost describe as like the internal dialogue was written in third person but like… I guess the characters not having the words for what is happening is rather the point of the story. I unno. No foul in the attempt, was nice throughout.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wandering son is so lifeless, dull, and terminally uninterested in its own trans characters that i kind of hate it

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Mage & Demon Queen just keeps getting better.

Val literally killed Malori during a night of rough sex. Malori was revived in the church completely naked.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I honestly thought that was going to be some kind of fake out until last chapter.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
DEATH BY SNU SNU.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
CAME AND WENT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Libra posted:

Oh it definitely gets problematic in places (the cop who's into little boys getting treated as One of Us Good but Misunderstood Queers) but it's so completely all over the place that I'm not sure where I would draw the line in specific places, haha.

The communist segment was absolutely insane