Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mr_big posted:

Can anyone explain why the Beer Store is such dogshit? How has the coward Rob Ford not let the FREE MARKET take over beer sales for easy political points?

Like why does this one chain of stores have a monopoly on larger cases of beer AND alcoholic bottle returns in Ontario.

well, for one thing rob ford is dead

for the other thing apparently breaking the agreement with the beer store would have cost the provincial government 1 billion and that's too big a payment to private corporations for nothing for even dougie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Arivia posted:

That's no excuse for slacking off.

mr_big
Aug 8, 2022

Mr. Big is pleased

infernal machines posted:

that's generally not how government enforced monopolies work

*takes hit* but can you imagine if it was mannnnnn

Arivia posted:

for the other thing apparently breaking the agreement with the beer store would have cost the provincial government 1 billion and that's too big a payment to private corporations for nothing for even dougie

Oh poo poo, yeah I suppose that explains why he hasn't done anything about it. My apologies to the Mad King Doug Ford, long may he reign.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

because the platonic ideal of a laissez-faire free market is a myth and big players using their economic power to establish a state-enforced monopoly that guarantees them easy returns regardless of how dogshit their services are is the "free" market working as intended

I don’t get why it wasn’t given to Canadian brewers though. Like, Molson and Labatt, sure, but why did they create a foreign monopoly?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t get why it wasn’t given to Canadian brewers though. Like, Molson and Labatt, sure, but why did they create a foreign monopoly?

It was at forming but multinationals bought all the beer makers before the craft explosion

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

why the hell does the luxury tax for boats start at 250k but cars at 100? like, motherfucker, and boat worth over 100k is the definition of excess, tax the clowns that buy those into oblivion.

I don't think fishing boats are a luxury tbh

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

A better world is a vote away lol lmao

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:37 on Oct 29, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

They might not necessarily always be a luxury, but a lot of "fishing" boats are absolutely luxury items.
We could probably do with lowering the pressure on fish stocks too.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I'm a big believer in the adequacy of our political process and believe it's ready to take on the challenges posed by this century.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Are we talking like trawlers and other commercial fishing vessels, boats operated under charter for well to do people going on excursions, or well to do people owning their own boat for sport fishing?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
well my cult needs a ship, ergo taxing our yacht is very anti-communist

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

lollontee posted:

well my cult needs a ship, ergo taxing our yacht is very anti-communist

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Boats, like planes and cars are a cursed method of transportation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

skewetoo posted:

I'm a big believer in the adequacy of our political process and believe it's ready to take on the challenges posed by this century.

hell yeah brother that's why im strategic voting for the liberal partt of canaday

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Canada's hosed by trade agreements and can't show preference for national companies unless its very specific circumstances.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
just request for statehood already, if you do it now, the paperwork will probably be done by the annexation

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
reclassify national companies as cancon and require them to be 40% of trade

megahtz
Jun 24, 2020

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/AJWVictoriaBC/status/1565136968144809984?s=20&t=3vsrt06yVFtprADnj5H3Vw

if there was any doubt the green party are just tories who like luxury electric cars

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You profess to care about the environment yet you haven't bought a new car :hmmno:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm the guy calling out other environmentalists as hypocrites while I change my avi to support an oil conflict

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Can you rely on a crossover SUV to empower your every adventure? Yes you can. Because in the all-new Honda CR-V, endless possibilities come standard. Peace of mind is key in the CR-V. That's why it's soecially engineered so you can brace the elements with confidence. Whether you're weekday commuting or weekend cruising, the CR-V takes you in style.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

skewetoo posted:

Boats, like planes and cars are a cursed method of transportation.
Wind and human powered boats can be reasonable ways to go about.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Wind and human powered boats can be reasonable ways to go about.

no one calls wind and human powered things boats though.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Can you rely on a crossover SUV to empower your every adventure? Yes you can. Because in the all-new Honda CR-V, endless possibilities come standard. Peace of mind is key in the CR-V. That's why it's soecially engineered so you can brace the elements with confidence. Whether you're weekday commuting or weekend cruising, the CR-V takes you in style.

Crosstrek bitch

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Terror Sweat posted:

fishing boats are specifically exempt though.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
A used car with normal gas mileage probably the most environmentally friendly vehicle you can purchase...

gently caress the green party.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

The HMS Terror only all the canned food came from The Dollar Store

https://globalnews.ca/news/9097765/toxic-chemicals-dollar-stores-canada/

quote:

The outer ring on a set of stereo headphones was found to have 24 times the legal limit of lead, and five times the legal limit of cadmium.

The solder inside the same headphones had 170 times what is considered safe on outer portions of the headphones. The solder on a separate set of earbud style headphones had 3,000 times the amount of lead allowed on the accessible portions.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

paul_soccer12 posted:

Crosstrek bitch

I'm glad some engineer was like "what if we made an Impreza that could drive over curbs"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Durf posted:

The HMS Terror only all the canned food came from The Dollar Store

https://globalnews.ca/news/9097765/toxic-chemicals-dollar-stores-canada/

seems bad but don’t you need to eat it for there to be an issue? I’m no lead expert here.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Noblesse Obliged posted:

seems bad but don’t you need to eat it for there to be an issue? I’m no lead expert here.

no, environmental lead exposure is still really bad, that's why leaded gasoline and leaded paint were bad even though people weren't drinking gasoline or eating paint

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I got some boxes from Dollarama around Christmas for distributing cookies and they had a horrible chemical smell like a new car/PVC outgassing. I don't know what possible use they could have had besides storing even worse-smelling toxic garbage.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
For a laugh look up dollar store extension cord recalls :allears:

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

vyelkin posted:

no, environmental lead exposure is still really bad, that's why leaded gasoline and leaded paint were bad even though people weren't drinking gasoline or eating paint

no wonder I post the way I do

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm glad some engineer was like "what if we made an Impreza that could drive over curbs"
Last time our car was on its last legs, we said, " This Impreza has been great, it would be perfect with a little more ground clearance. If they just made that, it would be perfect." What freaking luck!
Awesome camping car. Got a hitch on that sucker, and a hitch mounted cargo rack.
Roof rack for the boats. Sorry, kayaks. Rear facing child seat can fit in the middle of the rear bench without interfering with the front seats.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

People approaching my kid on transit now telling him I'm abusing him because he's wearing a mask. :waycool:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

fishing boats are specifically exempt though.

Oh, nevermind then. Tax all boats as a luxury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Terror Sweat posted:

Oh, nevermind then. Tax all boats as a luxury

I suppose one could argue for a better tax structure that taxes all rich people instead of just the ones that buy dumb toys.