Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

hexwren posted:

as an adjunct to my last post, I also wish I intuitively understood the language of card games; there's a lot of text out there that expects the reader doesn't need the actual flow of play explained when it starts talking about being in the trick-taking family or bidding or whathaveyou

I'm okay once I have the rules explained to me but I do inevitably need the rules explained like I'm a child, and without jargon

Yeah they definitely have their own jargon. What’s funny is that maskmen and other trick takers/shedders coming from JP all have a little blurb about the definitions of trick/round/trump. My US copy of wizard just uses the terms

It happens in regular designer board games too. I’ve had to catch myself using the words worker placement among a crowd who’d come to board game night with their copy of CAH and have to come up with a generic description on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

gimme some 2p 54-deck card games that don’t involve betting and aren’t regicide or Egyptian rat screw

regicid-- gently caress

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
If you're playing rat screw with 2 players you're doing it wrong :colbert:

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Schnapsen

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - how's Condottierie? I've got a voucher for a FLGS and after browsing their stock that seems like it might a decent option, judging from the blurb.
Not sure if there are better betting/bluffing map games like it though, made more recently. (Since it looks like this is from the 90s, originally?)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I really dig Condotierre, and it’s appealed to a wide group of friends. The Witcher ripped it off with good reason. If you’re looking for a bluffing map game with cards the only other thing that I could think of that fits the description is War of Whispers, but Condotierre is definitely the easier teach.

E: if your FLGS has the 2018 Z-man version, it’s got some extra cards so you can play either set of rules

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 31, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Condo is really great, but make sure you play with the original card set and remove all the extra junk they added in newer editions. You can find the card list on BGG, definitely tightens up the experience while making it more strategic.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Condo is really great

a missed opportunity to say it sparks joy

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

homullus posted:

a missed opportunity to say it sparks joy

:golfclap:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Surprise early delivery of Puzzle Strike II. The Magic Scepter is AMAZING. I'm dying.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
yo :catdrugs: :pcgaming:

Side note: Did we ever find out from which BGG user he stole the design for that wand?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
finally, board games can join video games in things that risk giving me a seizure

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Magnetic North posted:

yo :catdrugs: :pcgaming:

Side note: Did we ever find out from which BGG user he stole the design for that wand?

He lurks the Aliexpress thread for sure. Also that box art is hilarious in the sad free to play mobile game way.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks Triskelli and Bottom Liner - sounds like I'm getting Condo! It is indeed the z-man version, so I'll have to take a look at the new cards etc, as you said

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Frozen Peach posted:

Surprise early delivery of Puzzle Strike II. The Magic Scepter is AMAZING. I'm dying.

I decided not to back this because I couldn't tell if the game actually looked fun or not so I'm looking forward to impressions!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Does that crazy thing serve a gameplay function? It must, right?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

armorer posted:

Giving you a seizure so you don't play it again possibly.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I played Cartographers for the first time the other night and it was really cool. I've never played anything quite like that before. Any other top-tier roll-and-write games I should check out?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Something Else posted:

I played Cartographers for the first time the other night and it was really cool. I've never played anything quite like that before. Any other top-tier roll-and-write games I should check out?

I also enjoy Railroad Ink. If you want some more variety, https://www.postmarkgames.com/ offers up Voyages and Aquamarine as print-n-play options using standard 6 sided dice. Each one costs a beer, so it's a pretty low risk purchase.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Looks like Fire in the Lake is finally going to ship, excited to have another COIN game to put it my closet and never play.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

armorer posted:

Nope! It’s just to mark who the current “king\target” is.
Sirloin is a moron.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Something Else posted:

It depends on what you liked about Cartographers. I am most satisfied with the chaining/combos of rolls in the Clever series of games (this one and its sequels).

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

homullus posted:

It depends on what you liked about Cartographers. I am most satisfied with the chaining/combos of rolls in the Clever series of games (this one and its sequels).

I don’t think this one would do it for me. I’m most interested in the thematic/quasi-creative aspect of making a little drawing, but with mechanical consequences.

armorer posted:

I also enjoy Railroad Ink. If you want some more variety, https://www.postmarkgames.com/ offers up Voyages and Aquamarine as print-n-play options using standard 6 sided dice. Each one costs a beer, so it's a pretty low risk purchase.
Thanks for this, I picked up Voyages.

Something Else fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 2, 2022

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've got a Dune:Imperium game coming up soon. Never played before but watched a video and downloaded the rules. As to strategy, I found a 6 part series on BGG but was wondering if someone could point me toward something a little more basic but useful (suffering serious MEGO starting part 3; I'm sure it would be more comprehensible after I played). Just trying not to come in last!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's really not that serious, good lord. It's a deckbuilder, so trash your garbage cards so you can cycle through your good cards quicker. If you've got a hand of good cards, don't draw enough that you reshuffle your discard pile because now your deck has none of those good cards in it. Decide what you're doing and only buy cards that help you do that, rather than chase after any cool bonus you see. Well, it's a point salady thing, so you want to get a bit of everything going, but the time I played I accidentally created a deck that was all about harvesting spice, when my character was about getting money, so I frequently could not trigger my signet ring ability. Oh, and don't go super hard into winning the battles in the early game, because the later game fights are worth VPs and your dudes would all have died for like, +1 influence. Worst comes to worst, just aim for getting 9 Persuasion per turn and buy Spice Must Flow cards for points.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Also, for some general tips, for the base game at the start you want water to get spice, you want spice to get space bucks, and you want space bucks to get either a high council seat (+2 influence for card purchases), or a swordmaster (extra pawn for worker placement). If you're playing with four players, the swordmaster isn't a critical buy, because it makes your purchasing hand weaker because you're down another card to play that worker, and there's not that many spots available when he comes around to get played. After getting one or both of those, you can ignore space bucks and use water for spice or card draw, and spice for heighliners. If you are playing with the expansion, spice won't buy you space bucks, and will need to be earned elsewhere.

The combat deck is tiered so early fights tend to be over one VP, while the late fights have two VP rewards. Expect the tempo of the game to kick up a notch when you hit the level 3 reward cards.

When buying cards, don't forget about the location icons. Faction icons are really important, and it's easy to buy cards for their abilities and find yourself locked out from the faction spots. The Fremen are critical for water and unlock you a second water spot so talk to them early, and the Spacing Guild for end game heighliners is an especially big deal, which gives you a ton of combat strength, and water for large card draw or more spice. Also don't be afraid to ignore making a purchase if there's not much of use in the market. Trashing and extra card draw is expensive, and the game isn't that long, so if you want to burn those daggers and get hands filled with nice cards, you'll need to avoid bulking your deck out too much with cheap cards. This is why I prefer the getting the high council seat first over the swordmaster.

The intrigue cards are mostly okay, though there are cards for a combat boost. They range from two to seven extra strength, so if someone is holding onto intrigue cards going into a fight, you can never be quite sure what they are capable of. It's best not to think about combat as committing just enough to win a fight, but choosing a time to go all out to win the top spot, then building back up to the next surge as quickly as possible. Also if you want to bluff people that you have a seven strength combat card, nudge two spice next to where you are storing them, to pretend you're reserving payment for it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Me and my friends finally wrenched ourselves away from Gloomhaven long enough to try a different board game: Spirit Island.

It’s lots of fun but now it seems like we might just play that a lot, so going to try and maybe suggest cycling in new games every other month or so lol.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Admiralty Flag posted:

I've got a Dune:Imperium game coming up soon. Never played before but watched a video and downloaded the rules. As to strategy, I found a 6 part series on BGG but was wondering if someone could point me toward something a little more basic but useful (suffering serious MEGO starting part 3; I'm sure it would be more comprehensible after I played). Just trying not to come in last!

Just be prepared for bullshit en masse thanks to a garbage market row that frequently has stuff that is actually worse for your overall game to buy or things so expensive no one can buy them for a bit or something awesome coming up on your turn and no one else's or the exact opposite. Unsure if the expansion fixes any of this. I like the game but it's firmly on the light-side of medium and can be very frustrating at times. Intrigue cards can vary from what a piece of poo poo to hahah I'm gonna win. (Watch out if someone has a bunch of intrigue cards or has been holding onto one and is high on all the influence tracks. They're probably hoarding some bonus VPs for the endgame.) Based on my experience you can win without the extra worker but supposedly someone crunched numbers on BGG and winners have drastically higher success rates with the extra guy.

I've only played about a half dozen times and would play again any time but it's a so-so worker placement pretending to be a so-so deck-builder. Purging cards is expensive and difficult.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Me and my friends finally wrenched ourselves away from Gloomhaven long enough to try a different board game: Spirit Island.

It’s lots of fun but now it seems like we might just play that a lot, so going to try and maybe suggest cycling in new games every other month or so lol.

congrats on having the opposite of the problem everyone lese has

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Something Else posted:

I don’t think this one would do it for me. I’m most interested in the thematic/quasi-creative aspect of making a little drawing, but with mechanical consequences.

I really enjoyed that aspect of Cartographers! But after enough plays to see all the different goal cards, the games felt pretty same-y.

The Clever games on the other hand kept us coming back again and again and again.

E: Voyages is an outstanding amount of fun for the price.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 2, 2022

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I got given the Princess and the Dragon expansion for Carcassonne as a birthday present, and my god, does it get nasty. Obviously the game already has its share of "gently caress you, I'm placing this tile here just to be a dick" moments, but having a dragon that you can use to remove your opponent's meeples turns it into an all-out bloodbath. 5/5, would recommend.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Having a dragon that you can use to remove your meeples that are trapped on unfinishable features is amazing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Got to play Long Shot a few times now, I think it's a great game. Light enough that just about anyone can play and short to medium length. Enough meat on it to feel like a real game, and enough variation and action and unpredictability to make the betting and finger crossing fun. Plays up to 8 as easily as it plays 2 or 3, and that's appreciated. Great light to medium game that's borderline party game.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dune: Imperium -- Thanks for all the tips! Squeaked a 2nd place finish in spite of subpar play thanks to a last-minute intrigue card (pay 4 spice for 1 VP). Got dealt the worst power of the three in the game (signet ring: +1 spice, which is nice, but when you join the high council, +1 rep with any one faction. Yawn.) -- fourth player canceled at the last minute.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a deckbuilder, so trash your garbage cards so you can cycle through your good cards quicker...Worst comes to worst, just aim for getting 9 Persuasion per turn and buy Spice Must Flow cards for points.
Kept finding more important things to do than trash cards, but should have remembered that there're fewer things more important than thinning your deck in a deckbuilder. At least I had a lot of water to get research station --> +3 cards --> Spice Must Flow a couple of times

Ubik_Lives posted:

Also, for some general tips,... When buying cards, don't forget about the location icons. Faction icons are really important, and it's easy to buy cards for their abilities and find yourself locked out from the faction spots.
I knew this but did not internalize it fast enough, and then all the good faction cards kept getting bought before I could get them. Still had enough faction play to max Fremen and take & keep the Spacing Guild token.

FulsomFrank posted:

I've only played about a half dozen times and would play again any time but it's a so-so worker placement pretending to be a so-so deck-builder. Purging cards is expensive and difficult.
Disagree on the first point (I enjoyed it a lot but not sure it's worth #15 on BGG overall). As to the second, the spice cost didn't seem that bad, but the opportunity cost was too high for me to want to pay on any given turn, but one I should have paid more readily early in the game.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone played on a Jasper table from boardgametables.com? I posted this in the crowdfunding thread since we're talking about the Ironwood Kickstarter but thought I'd ask here.

I've been thinking about getting a gaming table with a topper. My first idea was to drive 12 hours one way to a friend's house that has a whole woodworking shop and do the last bits of it with him before driving it back. He's very into top notch expensive stuff (I asked him what chairs I should get and he says I shouldn't ask him because he would recommend some designer ones that are 750-1500 each used) but the table design is very basic and would either be black walnut or ash. The walnut build would cost about $1300 plus my gas and a gift for him for making it. The Ash would be half that. I would also need a local friend to lend me his Tahoe so I could fit the table assembled in it.

My other option is to just buy the Jasper long version with the topper plus 4 cup holders from boardgametables.com for $1775. I might be leaning towards that now to avoid the logistics even though the table would be of lesser quality I think.

For the Ironwood KS, I'd get the topper which is as much as the table (the table is steel so it's cheaper if you didn't notice), the extender to make it 7ft instead of 5ft, the topper extender, and cupholders. With shipping I think that's almost the Jasper, plus I'd have to wait until at least July.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Played some great games, old favorites and new arrivals, today with my friends.

Arcana Rising - Great card drafter about schools of arcane magic! We actually played this twice. Very unique in that there is a active reason to discard cards. You either keep a card, to add it to your tableau or discard to activate part of your tableau. So hate drafting is really interesting, as you're picking the most valuable card to your opponents as to what should be discarded. There's never a point that you're "taking" a card just to hate draft, as it's actually doing something for you and doesn't feel like a worse action. I'm not sure I'd call it better than 7 Wonders or It's a Wonderful World, but if you're into card drafters it does some really cool things.

Overboss - Building a Link to the Past style overworld map! Apparently this is similar to Cascadia, and while my friends said they liked Cascadia better it's a great game with a great theme. Basically you take a pair of tiles from an offer, and add that tile to your map. Scoring is positional and set collectiony. Slightly annoying to score, but so are most point salad tile games.

Architects of the West Kingdom - My favorite of the Occupation of the Directional Place series. Worker placement where the more times you take an action the more valuable it gets, until your workers get arrested and sent to prison by your friends for gathering too much. For once I managed to play and not run out of workers a single time! I still lost though. Did I mention I'm bad at board games?

Cosmic Encounter - When all five of my friends group is together, we have to play this. It's become a tradition for every board game day. My buddy curates our experiences each time. It blows my mind how much content this game has. Rarely will a game about negotiation go well in my games group. Especially one that can be as cutthroat and unpredictable as Cosmic. Love it!

Libertalia - Winds of the Galecrest - Say what you will about Stonemaier games, this is an amazing redo of Libertalia. I'll literally never play the original again. This fixes so many little problems while adding more variability between games. Love being pirates and doing pirate things! Another surprisingly mean game for my game group though.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have more suggestions for light(ish) 2-4/3-5 player games that the OP may/may not mention? I picked up The Crew and Star Realms and those have both been hits with the group I play with, and there's a bunch of others in the OP that also look very interesting, but I'd like some personal recommendations to narrow things down a bit. We've also enjoyed heavier stuff like Arkham Horror, Moonrakers, and Clank, but that's definitely a more serious commitment for a group.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Syenite posted:

Anyone have more suggestions for light(ish) 2-4/3-5 player games that the OP may/may not mention? I picked up The Crew and Star Realms and those have both been hits with the group I play with, and there's a bunch of others in the OP that also look very interesting, but I'd like some personal recommendations to narrow things down a bit. We've also enjoyed heavier stuff like Arkham Horror, Moonrakers, and Clank, but that's definitely a more serious commitment for a group.

Insider, Unmatched-series, Startups, Bottle Imp, Godzilla: Tokyo Clash and Steampunk Rally have all been hits with our group. And we also sometimes play heavier stuff like the 'Horror games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Syenite posted:

Thanks for reading the OP! It was a lot of work :sweatdrop: Here are some other recommendations not from the OP. Note that I have not personally played some of them.

Scout has tons of buzz and has recently reached the English language world. It's what is called a "Ladder Climbing" game where one player plays out a card or set of cards and players must then play out greater cards or larger sets. The last person who can actually play a better set wins. The unique selling point in this game is that you cannot rearrange your hand once dealt and can only play cards as sets if those cards are adajacent and in order. You have some degree of manipulation because you can play singles to try and create runs, or if you can't beat someone's set, you can steal a card from that winning run to put into your own hand. Shut Up and Sit Down did a video on it recently. I have not played it myself, but this game has been extremely well received.

Beyond the Sun has a lot of hype a year or so ago. It's is a space civilization game primarily based around the "tech tree" of the game. Unlike many tech tree games, the tech tree paths are not predetermined. Instead, players will have some agency; they will draw two techs of that color and choose one to play. This determines the path of all players, not just the one who chose it, making it comes an emergent puzzle of working out how to make the most of the opportunities available. No Pun Included has a review here. This is another one I haven't played, but there is an online implementation I might try out.

Strike is finally back in print, and no one can stop me from talking about it. It's a literal dice-chucker. Players take turns throwing dice into the box insert, a little plastic gladiatorial arena. If there are any matches after you throw, you take those dice and your turn ends. If not, you can throw again or pass to the next players. The 1s are replaced by Xs and are removed from the game when rolled, slowly shedding dice from the game over time. If there are no dice in the area at the start of a players turn, that player must throw in all their dice instead of just one. The winner is the last person with dice. This is the simplest, lightest game in the universe, but it is absolutely perfect for what it is; a little time filler with just enough randomness and excitement to make it worth the time while you chat or discuss what game you'll play next. So far, everyone I've shown this to has enjoyed it, including some fuddy-duddies. Watch It Played has a rules explainer here.

Also, it's in the OP, but I will suggest this game at every opportunity. For 3-5, try High Society. (The only downside is it does not play 2 players.) I did a longer write up in a different thread last year that I will simply quote here.

Magnetic North posted:

What's the point of being extremely rich if other people can't see how extremely rich you are? The answer to what ails you is conspicious consumption. Buy fancy clothes, enjoy lavish vacations, show others just how good you have it. Be careful though, spend too much and you rish being cast out of... High Society.

High Society is a fairly simple auction game from the legendary good doctor, Reiner Knizia. (Good thing there isn't a Knizia round later :sweatdrop:) Cards with values 1-10 value or a special effect are drawn, and each player bids in turn order, with only the winner actually spending the money. The end of the game is random so you need to be vigilant and be prepared to be ahead.

It has several clever twists. First, each player has an amount of money in the form of differently valued cards. This adds a wrinkle in that once you play that 8, you can't pick it back up during an auction. If you want to bid 12 but don't have a 4, you have to play that 6 instead or simply give up. It makes the math entertainly annoying without getting annoying to calculate since it's all just simple addition. Near the start of the game, it's easy but later on it becomes painful as your choices dwindle. (Insert Reaping-Sowing tweet here.) Another wrinkle is that there are negative cards that you don't want. Players are bidding to not take them, so large amounts of money can evaporate very quickly if no one wants to take it. Of course, the greatest part is what we mentioned earlier; if you spent the most money, you cannot win, no matter how many points you have.

This game is terrific. You're bluffing to make cards more expensive for your friends, getting stuck paying out the nose because you can't accept a certain bad card, and trying to hide the fact that you only have $7 left. The recent Osprey Games production is gorgeous. It plays very quickly, and is a wonderful filler-type game. The most important thing is that I will never, ever win this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Quacks of Quedlinberg