Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The world isn't ready for a Hobbit anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yes it is, and by it, I mean me

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sick fantasy land though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

page 1942, a very map-changey year

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Uhh Finnish uses the letter å too, in the word ångström.

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe, but that's a very small example.

I hate you.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

This eth, thorn, wynn, and yogh erasure is shameful.

Part of me wants to go all in an use þ and ð instead of th.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

Part of me wants to go all in an use þ and ð instead of th.

forever baffled at native english speakers who don't get the difference

the dhief
dhe thief

one is voiced itiods
idiots

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 1, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

þussy

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

forever baffled at native english speakers who don't get the difference

the dhief
dhe thief

one is voiced itiods
idiots

What

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ðe OP is explaining ðat English speakers are to stupid to understand ðe difference between ð and þ because they are both written th. It's a wonder ðey can þink at all.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
yogh, dude, what the eth is up? I saw ethel the other day, and drat, what an ash! just thinking about it is making me thorny. #wynning.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

this is an extreme win/win upgrade for every country involved.

denmark: gets some sun and warm waters
norway and sweden: gets rid of denmark and gets good greek food close by
greece: gets away from the balkans and into the "we can do a budget" territory of northern-europe
turkey: greece goes away

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

would an entry into the black sea that large change its strategic position? could these non-dardanelles be held in ancient and medieval times and from which grow wealthy?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

hwaet!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Grimson posted:

greece: gets away from the balkans and into the "we can do a budget" territory of northern-europe

we're getting too much of that already :(

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
loving greeks, coming over here, stealing our winters

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Grimson posted:

Not quite. They're still saddled with Greece next door, and even worse, they have an East Pakistan / West Pakistan issue now, with their economic capital is now like 2500 km and disconnected from their political capital except by an exceptionally long water route.

E: Unless Istanbul was given to the Dutch, as appears may be the case. Truly a compromise everyone can agree on.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Except the Dutch probably will hate having all those muslims around.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Except the Dutch probably will hate having all those muslims around.

the AKP has swept the dutch parliament for the first time ever

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All's I can think of is the APK. Finally dutch parliamentarians have safe and roadworthy cars.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

hvað?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All's I can think of is the APK. Finally dutch parliamentarians have safe and roadworthy cars.

And sideloaded Android apps.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I'm from the red area and so I was always taught H and B instead of B and B♭, but of course there's plenty of notation and chords around using the latter system, which makes B annoying cause it could mean 2 things.

Therefore to be extra clear I always write H and B♭ whenever I write chords for my bandmates etc. to make them both instantly obvious and to avoid B.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
East Asia with the obviously correct take there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MeinPanzer posted:

I knew the sequence "do re mi fa so la ti (da?)" but had no idea it referred to musical notes

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Grimson posted:

Half of these are "hates their neighbours".
Shuffle these countries around and they'll find things to hate about their new neighbours.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

My first thought was "what the hell do you do when you're not in C Major", and now I have learned that Fixed Do is a thing. And then you get into the chromatic variants where ra is re flat but le is la flat. My head hurts. Te do fa do re fa me re te.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

AgentF posted:

Half of these are "hates their neighbours".
Shuffle these countries around and they'll find things to hate about their new neighbours.

I've done told this forum many times: Greeks hate Germany almost as much as Turkey since their financial hell thing. And that map? Welp!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grape posted:

I've done told this forum many times: Greeks hate Germany almost as much as Turkey since their financial hell thing. And that map? Welp!

caught this at the end of an article today

https://www.politico.eu/article/poland-germany-pay-up/

quote:

Berlin feels that the 1990 deal allowing West and East Germany to unify ended all outstanding issues related to the war, and rejects demands for reparations.

Germany has paid compensation to individual victims of the Holocaust and to people forced to work as slave laborers, but not to other countries; Greece has an outstanding claim estimated at €289 billion, but the German parliament found it does not have legal merit.

and more information on that here

https://www.dw.com/en/greece-makes-fresh-wwii-reparation-claims-from-germany/a-57102886

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonHair posted:

You literally call it "Swedish O". Ångström goes in the pile of recent loanwords.

Yes, so it should go in the brackets. 0/10 map.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MeinPanzer posted:

Iirc China also has its own scale which is pentatonic. Using that instead of european octaves is how old timey cinema made the "we're in the Mysterious Orient now, boys" musical riff so obvious even to people with no knowledge of music. The brain accustomed to european music notices the notes are pitched differently even if the person doesn't know why.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Even with the amelioration of the financial crisis in Greece, this continues to be a live-wire issue there, but one that rarely gets covered elsewhere. A few years back I visited the memorial and museum at Kalavryta in the Peloponnese, both of which are dedicated to the massacre that occurred in that town (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalavryta_massacre). The museum ends with a room making the case for Germany paying reparations to Greece, and a local woman who gave us a tour of part of the museum broke into tears at the end when she recounted the impact the German occupation had.

Greece's treatment at the hands of the Germans in WWII wasn't exactly unique in Europe, but the Greeks had a really rough go of things between the occupation in WWII and its seamless transition into the civil war that followed, and they didn't really get much in the way of help afterwards.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's a good post, thanks. i've always wanted to take a rurual tour of europe and visit lots of the monuments that not many foreigners get to see or know exist

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

MeinPanzer posted:

Even with the amelioration of the financial crisis in Greece, this continues to be a live-wire issue there, but one that rarely gets covered elsewhere. A few years back I visited the memorial and museum at Kalavryta in the Peloponnese, both of which are dedicated to the massacre that occurred in that town (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalavryta_massacre). The museum ends with a room making the case for Germany paying reparations to Greece, and a local woman who gave us a tour of part of the museum broke into tears at the end when she recounted the impact the German occupation had.

Greece's treatment at the hands of the Germans in WWII wasn't exactly unique in Europe, but the Greeks had a really rough go of things between the occupation in WWII and its seamless transition into the civil war that followed, and they didn't really get much in the way of help afterwards.

The cold war realpolitik necessities of the mid/late 40s to bring the FDR/DDR back functioning as client states for the US and USSR unfortunately allowed the Germans to avoid fully paying for the damage they did to Europe.

In a better world relations between the US and USSR would have stayed friendly after the war and the Germans would have spent a decade or more working to pay back the rest of Europe.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i say swears online posted:

that's a good post, thanks. i've always wanted to take a rurual tour of europe and visit lots of the monuments that not many foreigners get to see or know exist

check this out lol

theres a memorial park, which is (shot) nominally for the danes who volunteered for the wehrmacht, but is (chaser) actually a memorial for the waffen ss

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%E6llesskabets_Mindelund_af_1969 (danish, sorry)
https://da-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/F%E6llesskabets_Mindelund_af_1969?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp (google translate)

e: i see theres still a problem with unicode links from SA to wikipedia, so you might have to try this or translate yourself:
https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A6llesskabets_Mindelund_af_1969
https://da-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/F%C3%A6llesskabets_Mindelund_af_1969?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Blut posted:

In a better world relations between the US and USSR would have stayed friendly after the war and the Germans would have spent a decade or more working to pay back the rest of Europe.

Well, forcing Germany to spend a decade or more working to pay back the rest of Europe certainly worked out well after WW1. Not sure what could go wrong if we did it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Well, forcing Germany to spend a decade or more working to pay back the rest of Europe certainly worked out well after WW1. Not sure what could go wrong if we did it again.

Try remilitarizing while also being the base for half the US army, let's see how it goes for you, Hans :clint: