Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's Elseworlds or whatever but Joker nuked Metropolis in Injustice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Well that happened almost 4 decades later. The penguin Affair was published in 1990.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

Well that happened almost 4 decades later. The penguin Affair was published in 1990.

3 decades, I'm old, but I'm not that old.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Was the Joker's backstory in The Killing Joke intended to be canon? It's a very absurd story, but then again absurdity is normal in superhero comics. The book doesn't give any indication that it's a bullshit story made to mess with Batman or just some delusion in the Joker's mind.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Kurzon posted:

Was the Joker's backstory in The Killing Joke intended to be canon? It's a very absurd story, but then again absurdity is normal in superhero comics. The book doesn't give any indication that it's a bullshit story made to mess with Batman or just some delusion in the Joker's mind.

There is the (pretty famous) part where the Joker says to Batman "that sometimes he remembers it one way. Sometimes another. If I am to have a past, I'd rather it be multiple choice."

Which has always been interpreted that the Joker can have different origins if a writer wants.

Historically even before the Killing Joke, a Batman comic in the 50s had the Joker's origi being that there was a criminal called the Red Hood who committed a series of burglaries before the Batman kicked him into a vat of chemicals, which is why he has the green hair and white skin. But that story didn't have any inclination about him being a failed stand up or the like.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

The Question IRL posted:

But that story didn't have any inclination about him being a failed stand up or the like.
Yeah, that was the part that felt dumb. So he was a failed comedian... why didn't he go back to being a lab assistant? If he's got a chemistry degree, he shouldn't have much difficulty finding a new job, he doesn't need to go into crime. Then there's the scene where he and his accomplices discuss their upcoming heist in a bar, where people can overhear them. Even a comic book writer should know that criminals only discuss heists in private places. And then the cops show up at the bar (instead of his home) to tell him his wife died, yet his accomplices insist he still go along with the heist. I know criminals can be jerks, but it isn't smart of them. With his pregnant wife dead, Joker no longer has a reason to do the heist, and he's in a bad emotional state too. He might flake, might rat them out. The gangsters should have called it off. Criminals abort their plans all the time.

It sounds like the ridiculous sob story a manipulative psychopath might cook up on an impulse. But in this story we don't see the Joker share this story with Batman. Is he lying to himself instead? Or maybe it is real. It's an absurd story but comic book stories are often like that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It works for me, I like to think of it as his origin. My interpretation of remembering it is that he himself doesn't remember well enough, like some day he might just kinda forget, losing grips with his roots. But we the audience saw it anyway. So we might know even if he doesn't.

Also for me while darkly comic and tragic, it doesn't feel too ridiculous. But I'm used to that style since it's used a good bit in 2000AD, Judge Dredd etc, that style mixing absurd and poignant.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I personally like to interpret the joker's origin story as never having a stable base. Every version of it is just another lie, like the different stories the heath ledger version tells in the dark knight. Even he does not remember, because it is simply not important. He is chaos animate. Trying to pin him down and failing - even with his backstory - is just how he operates. You wanting to know and not being able to tell is part of the charm.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

When Alan Moore wrote The Killing Joke he didn't think it would be canon.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I know he mentions that in the context of the Barbara Gordon stuff. Since it did end up being canon, I just think it's a nice piece of writing, a fitting (possible) origin for Joker. And I like the idea of the origin being out of the way, and done well by a writer in their prime, so other writers won't be tempted to bring in a new annoying origin (Wolverine style) in the future.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Let me tell you all about the Three Jokers...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ha oh yeah, that reminds me, I saw mention of the Three Jokers in a preview for Chip Zdarksy's Batman. Is that happening for real, or just a funny reference? I thought that previous thingy might be non-canon.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Three jokers was an interesting premise and would have been better if it ended with golden age joker or the more "jokey" joker surviving instead of the modern mass murderer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Did the story explain why there were three jokers or who the three jokers were? I am almost intrigued enough to read the story.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Three Jokers is noncanon but the lead up to it in Rebirth is canon, so in the mainline books Batman found out there were three Jokers but has remained entirely uncurious about that fact.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Did the story explain why there were three jokers or who the three jokers were? I am almost intrigued enough to read the story.

Yes it did and you should not spend money on it. It isn't on Infinite, but check out your local library, hoopla, or libby.

A lot of people will poo poo on it, but I do think the story had some very good parts. People were offended Johns tried to do a killing joke.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 30, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have been doing a lot of books/comics through the library lately so I'll do this one. Doesn't cost me anything if its bad or not.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's a 5th week so it's mostly a bunch of specials today. The Saved by the Bell Reve one has a bunch of good stories and so does the Harley Quinn TAS one .
https://twitter.com/_Xelkelvos/status/1564952775586463745
https://twitter.com/_Xelkelvos/status/1564972283738955778

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 1, 2022

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Has there ever been a scene where someone uses the phrase "Arkham's razor"? Like to describe the revolving door of the Asylum.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Give me ivy's super weed tia

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Has there ever been a scene where someone uses the phrase "Arkham's razor"? Like to describe the revolving door of the Asylum.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spoilers, but not in any way that matters (other than being funny)

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1567177770173595649?s=20&t=EYyqvqzxTKcgvLO6FHeoeg

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Whatever, he's always Joe Kerr to me.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Well what is it?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jack white is the man who lives in the Flashpoint universe that would have been the equivalent to main universe joker.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 7, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I am willing to bet soooo much money that by the end of whatever issue and/or storyline they put this reveal in, they pull a "remembered it wrong" OR it's revealed that that's not the real Joker.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I am willing to bet soooo much money that by the end of whatever issue and/or storyline they put this reveal in, they pull a "remembered it wrong" OR it's revealed that that's not the real Joker.

Did you read the article or my post? It isn't the "real" joker.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dumb clickbait was what I was expecting, so thanks for reporting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Did you read the article or my post? It isn't the "real" joker.

I didn't read the article and I thought your post was just stating a fun fact, my bad. :shrug:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

That same issue also has some loving insane poo poo where they're trying to recontextualize the ~omniverse~ by going "hey guys did you know time exists" and it doesn't make one ounce of sense

But also it birthed this panel and I cackled like a hyena reading it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Abroham Lincoln posted:

That same issue also has some loving insane poo poo where they're trying to recontextualize the ~omniverse~ by going "hey guys did you know time exists" and it doesn't make one ounce of sense

Grant Morrison at their most Grant Morrison

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Going back in time to kill Marv wolfman to stop CoIE from happening

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

thetoughestbean posted:

Grant Morrison at their most Grant Morrison

Is that Morrison? It sounds like a bad imitation.

For every person who cares deeply about DC timetravel mechanics, I will show you a hypercube full of folks who just want to see Hawkman fighting dinosaurs off with a mace.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

StumblyWumbly posted:

For every person who cares deeply about DC timetravel mechanics, I will show you a hypercube full of folks who just want to see Hawkman fighting dinosaurs off with a mace.

It’s somebody at their most Morrison

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's Geoff Johns which should have been clear to everyone immediately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'd rather see Hawkman fighting dinosaurs than any omniverse bullshit

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Forgot about some of this from the Harley Quinn TAS comic

I won't spoil who the person on the left is, but it's a really good reference for some die hard DC fans

No comment necessary

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think the batman flashpoint was supposed to come out after dark crisis.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'm simultaneously laughing and facepalming at the circled DC like, "DO YOU GET IT? DO YOU SEE HOW CLEVER I AM?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TwoPair posted:

I'm simultaneously laughing and facepalming at the circled DC like, "DO YOU GET IT? DO YOU SEE HOW CLEVER I AM?"
I long ago stopped paying attention to these Planescape-style diagrams of the DC meta-multiverse because whatever effort you put into understanding it, it will be completely obliterated when there is a big event in a year or two that completely rewrites and replaces it with yet another new status quo. How long is it going to take before DC publishes something that contradicts this version of the underpinnings of the DC Universe? Twelve months? Six?