Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

nitsuga posted:

Any thoughts on what (if any) CPU upgrade might make sense if I’ve got a 3600 currently? My one complaint now would be that audio encoding is a little pokey, and I have a fair amount of that to do these days. I’ve got a Noctua U9S and would like to keep the upgrade relatively cheap (i.e., not needing to replace a slew of other pieces). A 5600G is interesting with the APU, but I have a feeling it wouldn’t make a tremendous difference compute-wise.

A 5600G is equivalent to a 3600 performance-wise apart from the APU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cross-posting from the GPU thread:

Another mobile-app-only flash deal from Yeston, a 3060 Ti + $130 Newegg Gift Card + some random "blind box" that won't have anything good for $480 (apply the promo code while checking out in the newegg app): https://www.newegg.com/yeston-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-gtx1050ti/p/1FT-007N-00038 (edit: deal over)

The usual caveats apply here for yeston's gift card promos. Only buy it if you are buying multiple parts and can make quick use of the gift card on stuff you were already going to buy. It comes automatically via email several days after purchase, no application/approval required.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 1, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm trying to put together a computer on an ultra tight budget for my brother (the i5 6400 I gave him struggles in a lot of games). So I'm looking mostly for used parts (I got a free 2600X from a goon, which was a big help), but I assume getting a second hand power supply is a bad idea.

Can I get away with a bronze rated psu? And should something like 400W or 450W be enough? I'd be pairing the 2600X with a GTX 970.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I'm trying to put together a computer on an ultra tight budget for my brother (the i5 6400 I gave him struggles in a lot of games). So I'm looking mostly for used parts (I got a free 2600X from a goon, which was a big help), but I assume getting a second hand power supply is a bad idea.

Can I get away with a bronze rated psu? And should something like 400W or 450W be enough? I'd be pairing the 2600X with a GTX 970.

There's nothing wrong with using a bronze-rated PSU if you're on a tight budget. Just look up the model and try to get something that has a review available from one of the few sites that still review PSUs. And 450W should be enough.

edit: Though, here's the thing about power supplies:

You're probably not going to save money by getting a 450W one. The EVGA BQ is fine according to reviews from GamersNexus and ComputerBase.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 1, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks, besides staying away from Thermaltake and giving Gigabyte a wide berth, I have no idea how the budget psu offerings stack up.

I'm surprised to see TUF gaming down there. I thought ASUS was positioning it as a quality if not quite premium brand.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wait, why is PCPP only showing two B550 boards when I have the 2600X selected? Shouldn't they all be backwards compatible with any AM4 cpu?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you should be looking at b450s, if you can find them still for sale they're usually cheaper. the 2700x can't do PCIe gen 4 so there's no gain with going with a b550 anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CoolCab posted:

you should be looking at b450s, if you can find them still for sale they're usually cheaper. the 2700x can't do PCIe gen 4 so there's no gain with going with a b550 anyway.

I know, but a goon offered to sell me a b550. just considering my options.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would disable the compatibility filter and manually look up compatibility. PCPP's motherboard-cpu compatibility can be funny sometimes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The gigabyte site says:

Supports AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series/ Ryzen™ 5000 G-Series/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series and Ryzen™ 3000 Series Processors

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-1x

So I guess good thing I checked

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rinkles posted:

Are you sure that the CPU is the bottleneck here and not the GTX 970? A 6400 should be able to keep up with a GPU like that easily on modern games, especially if he's over 1080p.

6400 -> 2600X is certainly nice but that's not the change I'd make to improve games performance.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Those parts have history together (Rinkles upgraded from them late last year). It turns out that the 6400 will absolutely bottleneck the 970 in a lot of games, even at 1440p.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The average FPS isn't gonna be a lot higher in a lot of titles, but many games just won't run smoothly on a 6400. I often had hitches even when I tried capping the framerate at 30 for games that hovered around 60.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

I have an 80 Gold+ Corsair TX550M (550-watt semi-modular) I'd sell for $30 + shipping if you're interested, I used it for 2 years before downsizing to a super small ITX case. It still works perfectly, I just need to clean out my apartment.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

There’s nothing at all wrong with a used PSU as long as it wasn’t used for mining (at these wattages it won’t be) and it’s still in the warranty period. There’s not much a user can do to gently caress up a PSU.

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you sure that the CPU is the bottleneck here and not the GTX 970? A 6400 should be able to keep up with a GPU like that easily on modern games, especially if he's over 1080p.

6400 -> 2600X is certainly nice but that's not the change I'd make to improve games performance.

Im often bottlenecked by my OC’d 7700k at 1440p on more CPU bound titles. Granted I’m shooting for 1440p, but it’s mostly stability that’s affected and it’s annoying.

change my name posted:

I have an 80 Gold+ Corsair TX550M (550-watt semi-modular) I'd sell for $30 + shipping if you're interested, I used it for 2 years before downsizing to a super small ITX case. It still works perfectly, I just need to clean out my apartment.

This is kind and a good deal, and I’d recommend you purchase this if the shipping is reasonable.

I sold a similar class and age PSU used for like $55 before shipping a few years ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The biggest improvement going from the 6400 to a 11600K was Far Cry 3, iirc. It went from a bumpy 60, with drops to the 30s, at mediumish settings, to averaging like 90 at max settings. The gains elsewhere were more modest, but games felt better and more stable across the board.

change my name posted:

Thanks for the offer. If (e:like Pallbearers said) shipping isn't too bad, I'll probably take up you up on it. I'm in NJ.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

Thanks for the offer. If (e:like Pallbearers said) shipping isn't too bad, I'll probably take up you up on it. I'm in NJ.

I'm in NYC, shipping will probably be like $10

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

6650 XT for $300: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gv-r665xteagle-8gd/p/N82E16814932521?Description=rx%206650&cm_re=rx_6650-_-14-932-521-_-Product

The 6600 XT has been selling for $300 lately, and the 6650 XT is just slightly better. But maybe that's a sign of further 6600 XT price drops in the near future.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

change my name posted:

I'm in NYC, shipping will probably be like $10

Just go have a goon meet. PATH is probably less.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Just go have a goon meet. PATH is probably less.

there is a huge amount of new jersey that is not on PATH lol

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Microcenter is having some more blowout CPU deals, including the Ryzen 7 5800X for $240 today, plus another $20 off if you bundle it with a MOBO: https://www.microcenter.com/product/630284/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-vermeer-38ghz-8-core-am4-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

change my name fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 2, 2022

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you live near a micro center, get one of these CPU/mobo combo deals and then pair it with an RX 6600. I recommend the $220 one since the $180 one only has PCIe 3.0 support and that GPU has only half the normal PCIe lanes. That would leave you with $280 for everything else, which is tight but doable. this list for the other parts will get you there. You could go with a 500GB SSD instead to get 32GB of RAM, which may be useful for modeling and such—I don't know much about that stuff, to be honest.

If you don't live near a micro center, then things get more difficult. You can get a 12400F and a B660 mATX motherboard for about $270, which limits you to $200 for the GPU if you want to stay under budget, and $200 options aren't great right now. EVGA had an RTX 2060 for $200 recently, but that deal has ended. It could come back though if you're willing to wait, otherwise you're looking at something like a 1660 Super which wouldn't be nearly as good.

The one thing I'm not 100% sure about in that parts list is the case, but it should be at least decent. The ~$75 price category for cases has really fallen off as of late thanks to rising shipping costs. PC cases are the components hit hardest by shipping price hikes due to how bulky they are. You used to be able to get a solid full ATX midtower like the Phanteks P360A for less than $75, but now that's $100.

A long long way back, but thanks for this. I just ordered the last of the parts.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

change my name posted:

Microcenter ... Ryzen 7 5800X for $240 today, plus another $20 off if you bundle it with a MOBO: https://www.microcenter.com/product/630284/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-vermeer-38ghz-8-core-am4-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included
👀 that is a FUKKEN deal for 8c16t

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 2, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

If you have a best buy credit card, you can get this 3080 Ti for $660.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-ventus-12gb-oc-gddr6x-pci-express-4-0-graphic-card/6472637.p?skuId=6472637

code Aug23ccsave10

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell of a deal.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

It's afraid... it's afraid!!!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

My 9600k is working perfectly fine in games.

Must not… build…

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
There was a $365 5800x3d posted on Reddit yesterday and decided to pull the trigger. I could've kept on waiting but the cheaper cost of ram and motherboard put me quite a bit under budget. I also ordered a 6700xt for $419 which is fine for my needs. For what I'll be playing I doubt the potential gains from the new stuff coming out will make a noticeable difference and I have a lot of free time coming up and I'd rather get to playing now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hamsystem posted:

There was a $365 5800x3d posted on Reddit yesterday and decided to pull the trigger. I could've kept on waiting but the cheaper cost of ram and motherboard put me quite a bit under budget. I also ordered a 6700xt for $419 which is fine for my needs. For what I'll be playing I doubt the potential gains from the new stuff coming out will make a noticeable difference and I have a lot of free time coming up and I'd rather get to playing now.

:hfive: The $385 5800X3D I ordered from Amazon on Monday is arriving tomorrow.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Must not… build…

My 8700k is doing ok but waiting for more DDR5 stuff is the wise choice at this point imo.

It’s a good price for sure but eh

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey friends, not sure if this is the best thread. I found this picture of a Fractal case with Noctua colors floating on my social media. Is this a thing that's coming? I couldn't find any information on it using reverse image search. I'm afraid it's a custom mod, but I would 100% buy this if they made it, because I think its absolutely stunning.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That looks like a custom paint job.

edit: What part do you find stunning? Because the case design is real (it's a Fractal Torrent). Just the paint job is custom.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
If you do end up Noctua-izing your case remember to get Noctua keyboard caps to go with it https://noctua.at/en/drop-mito-mt3-noctua-keycap-set

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That looks like a custom paint job.

edit: What part do you find stunning? Because the case design is real (it's a Fractal Torrent). Just the paint job is custom.

The combination is what hit me. I know that it's an existing Fractal case that I don't find attractive in the ususal black or white. But specifically this paint job does something to me. I suspect it's the brown lamella that give it a retrofuturistic look.

I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff, as you can notice in my next response.

Llamadeus posted:

If you do end up Noctua-izing your case remember to get Noctua keyboard caps to go with it https://noctua.at/en/drop-mito-mt3-noctua-keycap-set

Please don't get me back into mechanical keyboard. I swear I've left that behind me! But they are gorgeous This is my daily driver:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Llamadeus posted:

This is great but costs about as much as my keyboard

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

change my name posted:

This is great but costs about as much as my keyboard

Buy them, put them on your keyboard. Now they cost only half as much as your keyboard! Hobbyist accounting :eng101:

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hey friends, not sure if this is the best thread. I found this picture of a Fractal case with Noctua colors floating on my social media. Is this a thing that's coming? I couldn't find any information on it using reverse image search. I'm afraid it's a custom mod, but I would 100% buy this if they made it, because I think its absolutely stunning.

Llamadeus posted:

for some reason this discussion really makes me want to see the polo-shirt-in-company-colors that Noctua reps wear at conferences, events, etc.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Is there a better way to browse cases? I am getting a little miffed to but for my atx form factor, but have a large number of drive bays that will simply never get filled.

But I realize I need the space for cpu and GPU cooling, and fans. Or is there just a short list of cases to buy and be done with it?

I'm not too much of a fan of rainbow or blue led lights just shooting out of the case.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

denereal visease posted:

for some reason this discussion really makes me want to see the polo-shirt-in-company-colors that Noctua reps wear at conferences, events, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smFvYdCd6tg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Roundboy posted:

Is there a better way to browse cases? I am getting a little miffed to but for my atx form factor, but have a large number of drive bays that will simply never get filled.

But I realize I need the space for cpu and GPU cooling, and fans. Or is there just a short list of cases to buy and be done with it?

I'm not too much of a fan of rainbow or blue led lights just shooting out of the case.

You can turn off RGB poo poo so don’t let that stop you if you otherwise like the case.