Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

LawfulWaffle posted:

I was wondering if there was a reward for ending the battle a certain way, since I noticed that you waited to reflect the pipe from the last fight and seemed to want to get Phantom when he was making doubles of himself. My experience with the MMZ series is slight, in no small part to the brutal grading system, but I’ve enjoyed watching you stunt through some levels.

i just enjoy trying to make cool-looking gameplay lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
innocent games chat brain: i wonder if there's acknowledgement for ending this fight at a critical point
my brain: *making sword noises out loud* wouldnt it own if phantom and zero finished with a mutual dash attack and zero ended up behind phantom

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tbf ZX does in fact give you a bonus if you beat the boss without hitting his actual weak spot

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Ratchet games are dumb simple but polished fun that I think most people would enjoy.

Ratchet and Clank are pretty fun third person shooters (or platformers in the case of 1) that I used to adore and still like a fair bit, but I really wish the newer games flowed like the first four where you just spend a level jumping/blowing stuff up and then got a funny cutscene at the end. Too much dialogue now, but I guess it works better for the children it’s made for?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Ratchet games have been on a slow decline since Going Commando, luckily it's been slow, but it's still pretty noticeable going from UYA or GC to Crack in Time or god forbid the Demake

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Insomniac for whatever reason decided the story needed to emulate 2nd rate animated movies from the PS3 onwards (though I never played Deadlocked, so I don’t know what that game did). The music also saw a downgrade to generic orchestral stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

By the by, if you have a capable CPU, Tools of Destruction emulates beautifully on RPCS3 (Crack not so much). I did a playthrough last month, and it was great to finally play it at a rock solid fps without the blur of 720p.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The Ratchet games have been on a slow decline since Going Commando, luckily it's been slow, but it's still pretty noticeable going from UYA or GC to Crack in Time or god forbid the Demake

Idk, I think Up Your Arsenal is the best one, which changed from my childhood opinion that GC was. I think after replaying the games multiple times I’ve realized I really just want a third person shooter out of the series, or just a platformer with mega man weapons like R&C1 is and not a hybrid like GC feels like since they hadn’t fully embraced just being shooters yet.

I still cannot for the life of me fathom why they keep bringing back one of the worst pistol weapons in a game though, I can’t complain about them reusing weapons in and of itself if it means less crunch but the Combuster is such a weakass weapon. Also idk what the point of leveling weapons but having a currency that also levels them but in more meaningful ways that encourages you to just use the weapons that make raritanium drop more.

Edit:

Rinkles posted:

Insomniac for whatever reason decided the story needed to emulate 2nd rate animated movies from the PS3 onwards (though I never played Deadlocked, so I don’t know what that game did). The music also saw a downgrade to generic orchestral stuff.

Deadlocked is basically the tone of the first three games but even funnier/more cynical, the mediocre animated kids movie vibes started on the PS3. Deadlocked was the start of characters telling you what to do in level, but that might be a legitimate concession for kids that were having trouble before.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 2, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ratchet and Clank is good but Jak and Daxter is the superior ps2 era buddy companion 3d platformer

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Where does sly cooper rank

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mzbundifund posted:

Where does sly cooper rank

in a different list because theres no buddy !

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
but to answer your question somewhere ahead of Jersey Devil

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Ratchet and Clank is good but Jak and Daxter is the superior ps2 era buddy companion 3d platformer

Always meant to but never played them (I distinctly remember making the choice between J&D and R&C1 in the Platinum titles section of MediaMart, what a life changing crossroads that was), but I want to check out the recent native pc port (the game was reverse engineered, iiuc).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sly 2 is the best sly game and 3 was a disappointment following what 2 set out to do and accomplished. Sly 1 is also good. 3 isn't bad, it's just a letdown compared to 2 which did stuff 3 was doing so much better.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rinkles posted:

Always meant to but never played them (I distinctly remember making the choice between J&D and R&C1 in the Platinum titles section of MediaMart, what a life changing crossroads that was), but I want to check out the recent native pc port (the game was reverse engineered, iiuc).

drat, Ratchet and Clank is way more of an action game, Jak and Daxter is more of a Banjo Kazooie style collect em up

I'll admit I never got into Jak 2 or 3, it got a bit too edgy

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that made them better

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
jak 2 is like the funniest video game ever made i love it so much

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
why are the elf and his weasel thing talking about war crimes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Funniest game ever? Sorry but that's Gears of War 2

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Whilst I loved both series when I was younger, I'm much more on the Ratchet side than Jak these days.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Videogames are not a laughing matter

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish Jak 2 and 3 had just been more like Jak and Daxter

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Jak's first words are a cuss in Jak 2.

That game was weird

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I forgot that series got a late end of life PSP entry

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Jay Rust posted:

Funniest game ever? Sorry but that's Gears of War 2

The correct answer is still Detroit: Become Human

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Metal Gear Rising: Revengenace is right there guys

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Whizzing Wizard posted:

If there ever was a Gaming Confessions thread,
I would post in it that I've never played more than a level or two of any Mega Man or Mega Man adjacent game.

I really loved Mega Man 9 specifically for some reason and 2 was ok but I never really got into any of the others or the X games

I have that Mega Man Zero collection in my wishlist so maybe I'll like those when I eventually buy it

battle network seemed fun when 12 year old me emulated one of them for 2 hours

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

then what is even the point???

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's like the only well defined activity in the HP universe. It's the only thing on it's own that makes sense at Hogwarts for gameplay.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

Didn't one of the PlayStation 1 games even have this as a mini-game?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm pretty sure I played at least one quidditch game on newgrounds

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kerrzhe posted:

Can't help but feel like this game is going to be a huge flop

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rarity posted:

Yeah, i'm expecting it will sell well but people will be disappointed with it and it'll be quickly forgotten.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It certainly doesn't help that the author of the series has spent several years working to alienate a large part of her fanbase as much as possible

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it used to be that you'd learn your favorite childhood authors were monsters after they were dead and buried and someone cleaning out their closet found a racism journal hanging out in a box, but, thanks to the internet, they're instead annihilating their legacy in real time

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

gta 4 is the best gta game including non gta games.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

San Andreas actually

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
GTA4 owns. SA and VCS are still GOAT but I love 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Rarity posted:

My complete lack of interest in it can only mean it will be bigger than Fortnite and Roblox combined in less than a week.