Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

I gotta give it props for offering full controller support on PC. However the combat did not feel responsive at all and it was too generic and frankly boring to play.

agreed, I played it when it was on Xbox One first, and the game frankly was just generic garbage that felt awful to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm sure we'll see it again soon enough

Place your bets on which garbagefire businessbro buzzword it'll resurface with.

My money is on Bless NEXT, because it's a buzzword that's already behind the times, just like Bless

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Bless: Reblessed

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Bless: Unchained

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Bless 2: Electric Boogaloo

Actually I'd respect that choice.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

No Dignity posted:

Maybe it's too much to ask from any one game

It's too much to ask for one game. Of course it could be done, it's just take 10 years [Double the normal development time of a mmo because you want two, you want the story mmo and the more active exploration mmo, and you can't just double the manpower to get it done in the same amount of time. They both have to constantly work together so that everything fits, and you are giving them twice as much work to do.], and when it launched you'd have to pay 50 a month to justify the expenses that went into making it.

And you'd still blow through the content in two months.

Nobody is making that game. It'd kill them. It'd kill them as a studio trying to sell it, but first it'd physically kill them trying to actually make the drat thing. Christ, people are barely making mmos at all. Which one of the ones that's been in development for 5 years actually looks like it'll launch a beta soon? I think Pantheon is talking about maybe doing a pre-alpha this year. Ashes of Creation? That's it. Those are the potential games that maybe might launch in a few years that could, maybe, be somewhat like the mmos you know. And even they aren't swinging for the bleachers, they are both fairly traditional mmos with maybe the promise of one or two neat new features.

Actually trying something wildly new is not in the cards.

e: To be fair, what you could probably do is build the foundations of a more action-y explorer type game and try to add story later. GW2 kind of tried that, to various levels of success with various expansions, but it's still nothing like the focus that something like FFXIV puts on story. Hell it's not even the level WoW puts on story at some points. It is about the best option you could get to do both, because it's much harder to retrofit systems onto your game later than it is to try and fit story. Christ FFXIV nearly killed it's devs trying to build a functional game to tell a story with, let alone adding new systems over time. 1.0 was dogshit code, and 2.0 is still fighting it. It can not be stressed how important your foundational code and systems are to everything that comes after.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 2, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

No Dignity posted:

Even though I'm a subscriber the FF14 model for world/quest progression leaves alot to be desired for me.

Outside of the endgame the 'massively multiplayer' part of the genre seems like a joke, the areas are small and cramped and largely have very little sense of exploration, and if you do delve into the sidequests they're given out in such numbers that they can't all be displayed by the game's UI at once most of the time and the stories all get jumbled together trying to work through them in the most efficient route. I was playing from GW2 Path of Fire with a friend recently and whilst I found the level of aggression in the world design a bit exasperating by the end there was actually a world to sink our teeth into and explore together, and enough danger in the content that the combat wasn't just a formality. Maybe it's too much to ask from any one game but I'd love to play something with the story quality and depth of FF14 that was meaningfully a game too, outside of the handful of trials and dungeons in the MSQ it practically plays like a single player visual novel until the endgame

GW2 still has the best, most multiplayer seasonal events too. I wish the other MMOs would look at what GW2 has been doing for years in terms of seasonal events and try to emulate them. I hate minigames and I am effectively both tone and rhythm deaf, but the GW2 Christmas minigame still sticks out in my memory as wildly fun.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Maybe they can do bless classic after whatever version they'll release within the next 2 quarters. They could drum up hype for Classic by letting players know they can reexperience the launch of a failed MMO. #nochanges!!

Rexicon1 posted:

Bless: Unchained
Waiting until they release Bless Forever or maybe I'll try the spinoff Bless Next

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 2, 2022

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm sure we'll see it again soon enough

You will actually! As Bless Global, a P2E/NFT shitfest!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Jesus Christ someone is REALLY invested in making Bless actually work without putting in any effort to make it, you know, good (all though it looks like the PC version will continue running)

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I find it amazing to me that this Blessed game has launched 7 different times and I still have no idea what it is. Judging by what most have already said, I haven't' missed much.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 3, 2022

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Khorne posted:

Waiting until they release Bless Forever or maybe I'll try the spinoff Bless Next
Ah, an especially cursed name.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So lets talk gachas and mmos since you know it will happen

Also lets talk diablo immortal

https://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo-immortal/whales-orb-debt

Third party sellers for cash shop currencies exist
People buy from it
Then the third party sellers refund everything

Blizzards stance is to remove the cash shop currencies upon a refund, normally for the player to incur a negative balance because of it

So they did that

quote:

One of the players affected is one of the game’s top Battlegrounds Wizards, Shia, who showed an image of their -2,491,025 orb balance – an amount that would cost almost $35k USD / £31k GBP to pay off through purchases on Blizzard’s in-game store. Speaking to fellow Diablo Immortal whale jtisallbusiness (best known as the player unable to play PvP after spending $100k on in-game purchases), Shia says they bought orbs through a secondary market that had good reviews.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 3, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only proper response to that is 'lol'.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

loving lmao. I dont have any sympathy for anyone still playing Diablo Immortal. It will end up being the first ever Blizzard game I have never played.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

I've tried all the major MMOs and now actually curious to try Classic with its new expansion. I keep hearing about how toxic the community is, I know the greater WoW community tends to include a lot of sweaties, and Blizzard can go gently caress itself.

But am I just overthinking it? Does it make sense for one that has never played WoW at all (or managed to stick to any of the other big names) to go pay for it + a monthly subscription, for an old school experience that might be a bit grating for my modern sensibilities?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lifroc posted:

I've tried all the major MMOs and now actually curious to try Classic with its new expansion. I keep hearing about how toxic the community is, I know the greater WoW community tends to include a lot of sweaties, and Blizzard can go gently caress itself.

But am I just overthinking it? Does it make sense for one that has never played WoW at all (or managed to stick to any of the other big names) to go pay for it + a monthly subscription, for an old school experience that might be a bit grating for my modern sensibilities?

There's a million private servers that host Blizzard-like Wrath content. The communities are just as toxic, but at least you're not throwing money at Blizzard for the privilege.

Hra Mormo posted:

By contrast, I always hated having two dozen near-identical quests of "go collect/touch/destroy 10-30 X-asses" pop up whenever you reached a new hub, and unless you were under some kind of XP boost, you'd have to do everything if you wanted to level quickly enough to transition smoothly to the next zone. And I'm guessing most other people hated it too, considering how popular dungeon leveling became.

Dungeon levelling is popular, because you don't have to pay full attention to everything at all times, not even as the tank or healer. You don't have to think where to go next, it's all linear and someone'll (probably) pick up the slack while you're watching your shows during.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 3, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

"The community" is toxic, but if you prioritize it over joining the most effective groups you can find a non-toxic group of people to play with. Last time I played there were guilds with that as a priority. I think this would be harder on a private server because the populations seem less diverse and the private server people were amongst the most toxic in classic, but I've never played private server so I have no real evidence on how toxic they are to play on in comparison.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Phigs posted:

"The community" is toxic, but if you prioritize it over joining the most effective groups you can find a non-toxic group of people to play with. Last time I played there were guilds with that as a priority. I think this would be harder on a private server because the populations seem less diverse and the private server people were amongst the most toxic in classic, but I've never played private server so I have no real evidence on how toxic they are to play on in comparison.

My experience with private server guilds is that the nicer they are, the smaller they are, and the faster they fall apart the second one or two players can't join raids for even just a short while.

But there definitely are nice people out there, they're just not in the big guilds.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
If you never played WoW, you could do a lot worse than checking out Lich King. It was very good in its time, probably the objective peak of the game as an average of all metrics, and the only reason I'm not touching it is Blizzard, plus I already got everything I possibly could out of it the first time around.

This is actually a funny detail I've noticed about classic. The people it's most popular with are the people who either didn't play that era, or played but were nobodies, most likely due to being dumb kids at the time. Which makes sense in its own way.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Lifroc posted:

As long as you stick with cool people you should be fine. I think there's a goon guild that is still active, those are usually marginally better than playing with randoms.

From my experience of playing Classic at launch, and as someone who played 18 years ago, it is nothing like I remember. This thread is filled with the same points talking about why we will never get a good MMO again, I'm not really going to repeat them.

Just try it and see if you like it. If you've never played, at least you will have a unique experience.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For Wrath private servers, what would you all recommend for a PvE only server?

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014

I said come in! posted:

For Wrath private servers, what would you all recommend for a PvE only server?

Chromiecraft is PVE and is full of nice chill people. The issue with CC is it is progressing very slowly. They are making their code open source while bug fixing and such. Actual northrend content is probably 2 years away. Last I checked they are on tier 2 vanilla content.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Opiumden34 posted:

Chromiecraft is PVE and is full of nice chill people. The issue with CC is it is progressing very slowly. They are making their code open source while bug fixing and such. Actual northrend content is probably 2 years away. Last I checked they are on tier 2 vanilla content.

At the rate I would probably play on this server, that is okay. But open to other alternatives that are on Wrath content, and are good quality.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People liked Dalaran WoW back in the day, dunno how it is now.

On a related note, it's really funny how Blizzard caved to the vocal minority of whiners who think that dungeon finder ruined WoW and won't be implementing it in Wrath classic. Yet all these people just use discord bot auto matchmaking or addons to basically do the same poo poo.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

wrath got exponentially better when they added the dungeon finder and you couldn't do gearscore elitism for content that absolutely did not require being geared

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jazerus posted:

wrath got exponentially better when they added the dungeon finder and you couldn't do gearscore elitism for content that absolutely did not require being geared

I agree. No dungeon finder in Classic/BC classic I was fine with because well..That's just how it was back then, and also dungeons were not really an 'expected' thing to do. You did them if you could but you could easily just not do any and it didn't feel like you missed out on too much IMO. But wrath is when it really became part of the general gameplay loop. Getting your daily justice badges etc. Very stupid to remove the function.

It's a shame too, WOTLK is my favorite era of WoW for a number of reasons but I don't really want to bother if this is the route they're taking.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They're really trying to juggle keeping their core grognard crowd satisfied by contorting Wrath to fit their memories of it instead of the actual as-was experience while simultaneously adding in poo poo like paid boosts and cash shop mounts. Makes me wonder what the hell they're gonna do once they hit Cata, because that's where all the WotLK and below diehards will jump ship, and if they're catering to them that hard, then it begs the question of who's gonna be left to keep the servers at a playably active level.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

They're really trying to juggle keeping their core grognard crowd satisfied by contorting Wrath to fit their memories of it instead of the actual as-was experience while simultaneously adding in poo poo like paid boosts and cash shop mounts. Makes me wonder what the hell they're gonna do once they hit Cata, because that's where all the WotLK and below diehards will jump ship, and if they're catering to them that hard, then it begs the question of who's gonna be left to keep the servers at a playably active level.

Yeah, for real. No one stayed on those Classic vanilla servers once BC came out so I don't think it's sustainable to just have the game running WOTLK or BC forever either.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I think the question is how much of a drop off from Vanilla to BC to Wrath has there been in overall players? Cataclysm is nowhere near as popular as Wrath and BC. Is it really worth the effort of making new servers for a smaller portion of the playerbase?

Personally, I think Blizzard has a golden opportunity to do some type of seasonal servers. Make servers with 500% xp rates, only open world PvP, different classes, raid bosses traveling the world, or some other crazy ideas. I look at projects like Ascension and it's just a shame that this massive company doesn't want to use the Classic WoW foundation to try making something unique. If it fails, who cares, it's only one season. Try again in a few months with something else.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Would be hilarious if they just kept going and "classic" turned into an alternate time line with no group finder, less qol and more mtx

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vermain posted:

Maybe fork it, one fork goes back to vanilla and another continues to Cata? Otherwise probably just reset to vanilla and give some dumb prestige crap to anyone that had a max level WotLK character + some more prestige crap for anyone that bought cash shop garbage

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I figured 'Classic' would end at WOTLK anyway, as by vaat community consensus that's where the classic era ended, or have Blizz said otherwise?

Anyway I'm kinda glad they biffed it with the dungeon finder, it's such a stupid move catering to the sweatiest part of the playerbase and it's killed any lingering desire I had to return to game lol

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I would have thought the nostalgia value would have dropped off by now with experiencing the vanilla and BC classic servers. I played lots of WoW back in the day and have lots of fond memories, but never for one instant did I think going back would be more than a week or so of nostalgia. You just can't unring that bell and all of the mystery and discovery would be totally gone.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

No Dignity posted:

I figured 'Classic' would end at WOTLK anyway, as by vaat community consensus that's where the classic era ended, or have Blizz said otherwise?

Anyway I'm kinda glad they biffed it with the dungeon finder, it's such a stupid move catering to the sweatiest part of the playerbase and it's killed any lingering desire I had to return to game lol

Very much the same, I enjoyed classic but the grouping experience was horrible (with all the item reserving and poo poo) which is why I sat out TBCc. Figured I would jump back in now with dungeon finder, until they announced it wouldn't be there.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 4, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I agree. No dungeon finder in Classic/BC classic I was fine with because well..That's just how it was back then, and also dungeons were not really an 'expected' thing to do. You did them if you could but you could easily just not do any and it didn't feel like you missed out on too much IMO. But wrath is when it really became part of the general gameplay loop. Getting your daily justice badges etc. Very stupid to remove the function.

It's a shame too, WOTLK is my favorite era of WoW for a number of reasons but I don't really want to bother if this is the route they're taking.

This also marked the point where I quit vanilla WoW.

The auto-join cross-server version we got was not good IMO. If I wanted to just play with randoms I got matchmade with I would just play any multiplayer game this millennium. You'd just queue up and zerg through your instance (which one was it? Who cares) and then go about your day never giving the run or the group or the people in it another thought.

They do need a much better tool than LFG spam though for sure. They just need to make sure that an actual human needs to instigate the invite.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Phigs posted:

They do need a much better tool than LFG spam though for sure. They just need to make sure that an actual human needs to instigate the invite.

They had that in TBC. You queued up for X dungeons, but someone would have to do the invitations and corralling.

It might even have been a thing in late vanilla, but I don't remember.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

THE BAR posted:

They had that in TBC. You queued up for X dungeons, but someone would have to do the invitations and corralling.

It might even have been a thing in late vanilla, but I don't remember.

Meeting stones were a vanilla thing (eventually), but they weren't used that much because it still required you to go to the dungeon entrance and people would rather just hang out in a capital city and spam the chat channels there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Phigs posted:

This also marked the point where I quit vanilla WoW.

The auto-join cross-server version we got was not good IMO. If I wanted to just play with randoms I got matchmade with I would just play any multiplayer game this millennium. You'd just queue up and zerg through your instance (which one was it? Who cares) and then go about your day never giving the run or the group or the people in it another thought.

You could always do dungeons with friends or other people you meet without having to use the auto matchmaking system, it didn't prevent you from doing that. The fact that most people moved onto using it because they don't want to wait 2 hours in town hoping a Tank wants to do X or Y dungeon I think shows how it's not a good thing to force people to be on their own for this content.

I think you just need to not have the dungeons be important for casual players if you want people to fend for themselves and have fun. Endgame wasn't really as much of a one way street in Vanilla and BC so it managed fine without it IMO. but Wrath is when I feel it was kind of necessary

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I had a lot of fun in classic because I played with a group of friends and we all only kept at it until we hit the point we naturally fell off. I got up to BWL (which is where I quit raiding in vanilla), and once I had killed Nef once I was like, "okay I'm done," and I haven't touched it again until now. I'll probably level through Wrath because it was my favorite expansion, but once I finish the stroll down memory lane I'll just quit again since I don't give two shits about gear or 100% completion.

e: Every time I step back into the game the community has somehow become even more toxic than it was before. You can avoid this if you happen into a good guild or have friends to play with, but the general population is 90% jerks/trolls/angry tryhards who yell at you if you're not playing the "right" spec, etc.

kedo fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 4, 2022