Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Yeah, it is a hoax. It even has the watermark for the Entertainment Weekly photoshoot. These were all the covers for the EW issue on the show.

Edit: EW photoshoots are notoriously bad in general.

Anyway, AVclub's review is very positive, and they're generally pretty critical of shows like this

https://www.avclub.com/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-review-1849479930

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
The developers are a couple of nobodies and the guy behind the first two episodes also directed a Jurassic World movie. For the next 12 hours I’m taking every review with an Amazon sized grain of salt.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

yoohoo posted:

The developers are a couple of nobodies and the guy behind the first two episodes also directed a Jurassic World movie. For the next 12 hours I’m taking every review with an Amazon sized grain of salt.

:chloe:

It's incredible how easily so much money can get tossed around

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nobodies are perfect bc they will do anything insane execs tell them to

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

all these people have weird head shapes!

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
https://twitter.com/AbrahamValdez_/status/1565135048738713601

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Sorry to break it to the haters, but the first 2 episodes of the Rings of Power are super cute. Not sure where they're going, I'm only familiar with the wikis for this period, but it's very well done so far.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just watched the first couple minutes and I just have to say that the music is by Bear McCreary and at one spot it was so similar to his music for Foundation that it was actually distracting... now I can't help but think of it as Foundation: Fantasy Edition

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mystes posted:

I just watched the first couple minutes and I just have to say that the music is by Bear McCreary and at one spot it was so similar to his music for Foundation that it was actually distracting... now I can't help but think of it as Foundation: Fantasy Edition

Yeah it was odd. Got to the opening credits in the second episode (not the scam one posted earlier), and was surprised to see that the opening theme was by Howard Shore, but the rest by Mr Bear from BSG

mystes
May 31, 2006

Visually it looks great so far though

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
There's very, very little to enjoy in Rings of Power. Never feels like a real environment because every shot with people in it is filmed super close up with minimal props. It's just... boring, and full of truly awful metaphors.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Are the rings a metaphor for power?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watched the first two eps

They’re a mixed bag, half the scenes are boring generic fantasy with terrrrrible writing and the other half are good fun engaging scenes with charm.

I don’t mind the settings looking unrealistic; often times LOTR looked unrealistic in a painted idealized way and it was fine, it was a style. And when they’re showcases they look great like inside the dwarf mountain. But sometimes the scenes look simplistic and empty, like when the elf ship is headed to Valinor

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nihonniboku posted:

Sorry to break it to the haters, but the first 2 episodes of the Rings of Power are super cute. Not sure where they're going, I'm only familiar with the wikis for this period, but it's very well done so far.

Yeah I enjoyed the first two eps a lot more than I expected. Pretty decent visually for me, and all the acting has been great. Some dialogue is ehh, but I haven’t seen a weak spot among the cast yet. I love everything about warrior Galadriel.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Watched the first episode and I'm not that into it aside from the visuals/music. The actors are fine (except for the sylvan elf who acts like he's in a commercial), but the dialogue is a bit hammy and the pacing so far hasn't been great.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm cautiously optimistic. Production looks great and the acting is good. The primarily elven scenes are definitely very hamfisted with its dialogue but that's par for the course with the films. It gets much better as we break away from those.

I'm liking it so far. Money is definitely on screen. It looks amazing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm watching succession and it was getting kinda unbearable but I just got to the wedding episode and I'm back in baybee

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm watching succession and it was getting kinda unbearable but I just got to the wedding episode and I'm back in baybee

Fuuuuuuck it's so goooood

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really enjoying The Resort.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Really enjoying The Resort.
nice do they have any thing to watch there?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

yoohoo posted:

JA Bayona is great director, you could have said the guy who directed the orphanage, or the best episodes of Penny dreadful, or A Monster Calls if you weren’t grinding an axe

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's not even like the direction was the problem with Fallen Kingdom. At worst it shows he's willing to shoot a lousy script if it pays.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Fallen Kingdom is the best JW movie, and it's not really close.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The first Jurassic park reboot movie sucked rear end but the new one is on peacock now so I might watch it. Skipped the second one though

Jurassic Park is one of the greatest blockbuster movies ever made but it was total lightning in a bottle and everything else with the name on it that I’ve seen sucks.

I’m sure it’s fun for kids to look at the dinosaurs or whatever though

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The first Jurassic park reboot movie sucked rear end but the new one is on peacock now so I might watch it.

You know that there are literally tens of thousands of movies out there, right? And that you have a limited time to live?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jp 2 was the biggest letdown till matrix 2 or and star wars after the first 3

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The JW movie was bad, but I thought the last one was at least kinda interesting.

I think it says something that even mainstream all-ages blockbusters are showing us hypercapitalist dystopias. What it says specifically I have no idea

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

The first Jurassic park reboot movie sucked rear end but the new one is on peacock now so I might watch it. Skipped the second one though

Jurassic Park is one of the greatest blockbuster movies ever made but it was total lightning in a bottle and everything else with the name on it that I’ve seen sucks.

I’m sure it’s fun for kids to look at the dinosaurs or whatever though

The most recent Jurassic world is hilariously bad but yeah if you just want to see some dinos it works for that

E: that dino documentary on apple is way way way better if you just want to see some dinos

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

feedmyleg posted:

You know that there are literally tens of thousands of movies out there, right? And that you have a limited time to live?
I tell myself this but it doesnt stop me from watching/reading/playing garbage :negative:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The new one sucks massive rear end and you really should be looking for anything else with dinos if you’ve got the urge

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PlushCow posted:

I tell myself this but it doesnt stop me from watching/reading/playing garbage :negative:

There's good trash and there's bad trash. Watch Carnosaur instead. If you've seen that, watch Tammy and the T-Rex. If you've seen that, watch Theodore Rex. If you've seen that, watch Baby. If you've seen that, watch The Dinosaur Project. If you've seen that, watch the Mario Bros. movie. If you've seen that, watch...

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I watched the first ep and have to say the production value is very high, I thought it was going to be a marvel type thing where they throw money at it to look like poo poo. But the show looks great. The acting was good too, despite the fact that I don't recognize a single person other than Saint Maud. Pretty bold choice for such an expensive show to have zero big names.

I don't think it's going to be the watercooler show that Amazon is hoping for, but that's probably a good thing for the actual quality of the show.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Taking in the Khazad Dum reveal after having watched She-Hulk twerk certainly was a juxtoposition of budgets being shown on screen, lmao.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Starks posted:

The acting was good too, despite the fact that I don't recognize a single person other than Saint Maud.

The only actor I recognized was baby Elrond who I'm pretty sure played baby Ned Stark, but I haven't verified that, so maybe I'm just mixing up guys with pointy cheek bones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I’m honestly just curious about seeing the original cast return

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Nihonniboku posted:

The only actor I recognized was baby Elrond who I'm pretty sure played baby Ned Stark, but I haven't verified that, so maybe I'm just mixing up guys with pointy cheek bones.

Yeah that was him

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's funny that everyone got mad at She Hulk for twerking when honestly this was the first episode that felt like a real TV show? Like, the lawyer comedy format where they do funny cases and then win at trial with clever lawyer trickery?

Like it's a six episode show with two episodes fully dedicated to setup. If this were Boston Legal James Spader's character would have solved four different funny or topical cases by now and had at least three different romantic screw-ups. Nobody writing for Disney+ understands what a TV show is or how it's different from a 3 hour movie.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

9 episodes i hear

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Chiming in to say that the first episode of rings of power looked great, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to see a show that puts some effort into looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

McCloud posted:

Chiming in to say that the first episode of rings of power looked great, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to see a show that puts some effort into looking good.

It was insane how good it looked honestly, better than 99% of movies I've seen. There were several shots that reminded me of Tarsem Singh.