Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hmmn. Not really looking for evilish. Curse of Strahd but PF2 is basically what I'm looking for, isn't there one with a spoooooky carnival?

The Mosquito Witch PFS adventure is a one shot that is pretty spooky. I ran it last Halloween mostly successfully. The ending is a little flat but since then in the Monsters and Myths book they’ve released more Mosquito Witch content that you can probably incorporate. I haven’t actually gotten around to reading it myself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Starting a SoT game tomorrow and I am excited for my automaton animal rage barbarian to learn the magic of friendship and also druid.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mechayahiko posted:

Anyone solving the Dark Archive ARG? the clues are gibberish to me.

yeah it just leads to a pdf of the final adventure from the dark archive's set of them

with a foreword request from paizo to not share more details

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Epi Lepi posted:

The Mosquito Witch PFS adventure is a one shot that is pretty spooky. I ran it last Halloween mostly successfully. The ending is a little flat but since then in the Monsters and Myths book they’ve released more Mosquito Witch content that you can probably incorporate. I haven’t actually gotten around to reading it myself though.

Ooh, yeah, I think I played in that one at an organized play event, it was pretty good.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Looks like Kingmaker for PF2E is out to backers.

Lucky gits. It's probably not going to be :filez: :pirate: for me (general release in late october. (I was going to back it but had financial issues)

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

So I'm delving into Pathfinder for the first time as I've got a game coming up for it. Most of it seems relatively understandable (or at least close enough that I'll figure it out from play) but there's a few of the classes I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

- I just cannot figure out how the Alchemist works. There's lots of references to reagents (both infused and not) and formulas but I can't seem to actually find what any of those are.

- The Investigator similarly doesn't seem to make sense. Is it just meant as an out of combat skill monkey? It seems like it would be pretty useless in anything but an Investigator/specific campaign.

- The Witch is also throwing me. I think I get the basics of how it operates, but I can't figure out what role it would serve in a group. It seems just like it trades getting a better than average familiar for being a kind of crappy Wizard.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

So I'm delving into Pathfinder for the first time as I've got a game coming up for it. Most of it seems relatively understandable (or at least close enough that I'll figure it out from play) but there's a few of the classes I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

- I just cannot figure out how the Alchemist works. There's lots of references to reagents (both infused and not) and formulas but I can't seem to actually find what any of those are.

- The Investigator similarly doesn't seem to make sense. Is it just meant as an out of combat skill monkey? It seems like it would be pretty useless in anything but an Investigator/specific campaign.

- The Witch is also throwing me. I think I get the basics of how it operates, but I can't figure out what role it would serve in a group. It seems just like it trades getting a better than average familiar for being a kind of crappy Wizard.

Formulas are part of item rules. Alchemists need formula for anything they make. https://pf2easy.com/tree/index.php?id=6318&name=Formulas I'm pretty sure reagents is just a generic in game term for ingredients of alchemical formulae specifically. Infused reagents are just the daily free ones you get to have daily free alchemy items. Otherwise, you have to buy the reagents to craft permanent items.

Edit- yes. https://pf2easy.com/tree/index.php?id=1024&name=alchemy#! explains how Alchemical Crafting works.

Investigator is a boss killer. He uses his pre-roll free against them and optimizes his actions accordingly.

Witch has access to other spell lists depending on patron, where wizards use arcane. It's how you become an occult caster without being a bard, mostly. Our witch (We have a beastmaster monk, an occult witch, a barbarian, and my wit/throwing swashbuckler) uses my bonmot to help debuff enemies, nukes, and heals in a pinch.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 2, 2022

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tempest_56 posted:

With the caveats that Alchemists are kinda bad, here's the basics:

You start with a formula book, and 6 common first level formulas from this list: https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?Category=6, along with specific ones from your research field (Bomber (huck bombs at things), toxicologist (poisoner), mutagenicist (Drink mutagens to make you better at things), or Chirurgeon (healer).

Every time you level up you also add two formulas to your book from the list, along with any you can buy or invent via feat.

Every day you get infused reagents that are basically the alchemy equivalent of Wizard spell slots: You can make your level + int mod worth of alchemical items from your book, for free. They only last until your next daily preparations though. You don't have to make all of them ahead of time though, you have the quick alchemy action to whip one up on the fly, as well.

On top of that, you can do crafting with reagents you purchased, to make permanent items that won't go away in 24 hours.

That's the gist. You're essentially a potion wizard, handing out things to the party. You can make a direct combatant out of it, but it's just straight not as good as an equivalent martial class or caster.

e: As a kinda example of why alchemists are not really that great compared to an equivalent caster, their class feature that gives them unlimited uses per day of some of their items (Think cantrips) doesn't come until level 7. And even that only lets you create the level 1 versions as often as you want.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 2, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tempest_56 posted:

Not any more than Rogues. A lot of classes in Pathfinder are functionally equivalent in practice. Fighters, Barbarians, Inventors and Thaumaturges are all roughly equal when it comes to beating people up in melee, but their big numbers come from little unique mechanics. (Base big numbers, raging, having a cool unique weapon and always having a relevant weakness, respectively.) And in practice, Strategic Strike is equivalent to a Rogue getting a good sneak attack off, and all the weird feats and class features that make them look like just a skill monkey are so they can feel like a cool detective to the same extent that a rogue can feel like a cool thief.

quote:

Again, see my point about how most classes in this game are functionally close enough that you can just pick the version that fits your flavor best. Witches are ultimately a primary caster for whatever spell list their patron with some cool unique cantrips/hexes, and that's more than good enough for where the game's balanced. Unless your party's really weird, you probably aren't going to be an arcane Witch with a wizard right there and the relative usefulness of hexes vs spell school abilities is going to determine which of you will be more useful.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's true that Witches are probably on the lower end of caster power to be honest but not to an extent that it would really be an issue. Paizo seems to value the familiar stuff a lot but the effectiveness of familiars is very dependent on the GM.

Alchemists are the only class I'm straight up negative on (mostly because playing one can feel pretty bad if the player doesn't know what they are doing).

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

If you're playing foundry for the love of god don't update the game until pf2 is released for it.

This is my story.

If I buy foundry right now does that mean it's not going to work well for pf2 stuff?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chromatics posted:

If I buy foundry right now does that mean it's not going to work well for pf2 stuff?

You can download any version of it from the site

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Andrast posted:

You can download any version of it from the site

which is to say use v9 for now if you do

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

which is to say use v9 for now if you do

That's what I needed to know, thanks!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Witch focus spells are significantly better than Wizard focus spells. I also prefer their feats.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I hate how much Paizo values the familiar for the Witch, they really think it's worth lowering the overall power of the Witch and I just don't see it. Familiars kind of suck and I just can't see the use for them outside of flavor.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
They're really good outside of combat and in a lot of RP situations at least. It just costs a lot of feats to get that.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
In my game, I gave the witch player cackle as a bonus feat, which seemed to be a boost the witch needs (Mainly getting that free focus spell).

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
How much does the familiar depend on a DM’s goodwill? I’m intrigued to try a witch next time my group plays PF2e instead of 5e, but at least in our current (5e) game, my familiar has come up twice in over a year, only one of which times it actually had an impactful scene. They seem more powerful overall in Pathfinder, but I guess they are still mostly useful for scouting, eavesdropping etc?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
They have a ton of abilities that are clearly defined, so it's not just a matter of DM fiat. If you want, you can get abilities from familiars that are solely buffs to yourself- Extra cantrips, the ability to "courier" a touch based spell in to melee for you, the ability to aid you in skill checks, etc.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'd say the stuff like using a familiar for scouting, etc, basically anything that falls into "exploration mode", will depend on how the DM runs that in general. As written it's pretty loosey goosey (I'd say intentionally, to cater to different group playstyles) and the benefit of having a familiar as a de facto extra party member will depend on how the GM uses it in the first place.

For a specific example, the as-written benefit of having a member of the party scouting is literally just getting a +1 circumstance bonus on initiative rolls in the next fight. If you're playing in a beer-and-pretzels game where the GM is moving everything along as fast as possible, that might be the most you'll get out of a baseline familiar outside of fights.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Hmm, makes sense. I’ll have a look at the more defined abilities then and see if it’s worth it for my group. Cheers!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So a friend of mine who ordered the Kingmaker stuff let me look at the PDF for the Companions book. This gives info on moving the characters from the Kingmaker CRPG to PF2E Kingmaker. Includes storyline stuff for all, as well as complete starting info and personal quests for several folks.

Complete: Amiri, Ekundayo, Jubilost, Linzi, Nok-Nok, Tristian
Quick 2 pagers: Harrim, Jaethal, Kalikke/Kanerah, Octavia, Regongar

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
So before I buy it, Mwangi Expanse isn't "Paizo does a racism duct-taped to a bigotry", right?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Eastmabl posted:

So before I buy it, Mwangi Expanse isn't "Paizo does a racism duct-taped to a bigotry", right?

The 2e hardback? Oh no, definitely not. The 1e version was questionable, but the 2e hardback is light-years better.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
So after finding out about the Lords of Blood adventure path I think it may be the thing to bring me out of my decade long RPG/GM retirement. Have yet to play second edition but I have been reading over the core rulebook and so far I like what I see. Has anyone started it and is worth trying out or should I attempt the intro box first? Planning on doing this over Foundry VTT.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I'm just starting up myself after a couple of years of 5e. You picked a good time. New Foundry version just hit, and they're starting to release premium versions of the modules on Foundry, complete with maps, music, art, journals etc. I'm having my first Beginner Box game in a few weeks.

I'll report back how it went but I'm really excited. Then more I read, the more I like what PF2e does compared to 5e.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Eastmabl posted:

The Mwangi Expanse is Paizo deliberately un-racisming central Garund

It's great, highly recommend

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
My criticism of the mwangi expanse book: there's barely any gnoll art. But there's tons of lizards in every picture.

Where's my loving gnolls, Paizo?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Jarvisi posted:

My criticism of the mwangi expanse book: there's barely any gnoll art. But there's tons of lizards in every picture.

Where's my loving gnolls, Paizo?
Listen you got Anchor Root. Any other gnoll is superfluous.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Listen you got Anchor Root. Any other gnoll is superfluous.

She's not even in the book! She's in the ap!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Call Paizo, say aardwolf gnoll

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Isn't the awesome gnoll merchant in the Mwangi book? Or is that somewhere else?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Comrade Merf posted:

So after finding out about the Lords of Blood adventure path I think it may be the thing to bring me out of my decade long RPG/GM retirement. Have yet to play second edition but I have been reading over the core rulebook and so far I like what I see. Has anyone started it and is worth trying out or should I attempt the intro box first? Planning on doing this over Foundry VTT.

I've played two sessions of it as a player. It's my first Pathfinder 2E game, and it's been fine for learning the system (though having a good, patient GM helps a lot). Foundry support seems pretty solid. I do recommend giving players a chance to respec between sessions, though; I definitely made some rookie mistakes.

I am definitely loving the vibe of the campaign though.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

FishFood posted:

Isn't the awesome gnoll merchant in the Mwangi book? Or is that somewhere else?
Im Arivia levels of nerd when it comes to Paizo and I have no clue what your talking about. It sounds fun and I wanna see

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 8, 2022

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
https://imgur.com/a/ML0oFAu

The source I found for it is 3rd party from 2021 but I know I've seen it before that.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Anyone run ruby phoenix? What was good what needed to be tossed? Gonna be reskinning as a tournament anime

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

sugar free jazz posted:

Anyone run ruby phoenix? What was good what needed to be tossed? Gonna be reskinning as a tournament anime
Fun fact. The rules from the tournament are lifted entirely from Yugioh Battle City. :D

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

sugar free jazz posted:

Ew boy. Ok, I had a hell of a time running this one, and it does require a fair amount of tweaking.

Spoilers ahoy for the rest of the message.

Generally

Hao Jin is a goddamn Mary Sue (her name is basically Mary Sue!). I had to tone her down a bit, which wasn't that difficult given the errors in other areas of the adventure. Yea, she's a powerful magician but she loses touch with people who aren't and is a bit untethered from the real world. She's also under a heck of a lot of stress given that wars are fought over who she sides with, which she never asked for. It's important that she's sympathetic for the plot to resonate properly, so don't be afraid to tone her down a bit.

There are too few references to the larger plot early on. It's perfectly possible for the players to get all the way through without actually knowing the background. I ended up having to have Hao Jin explain it at the very end, which was kind of awkward.

I played this with the Stamina rules to allow easier regeneration between rounds but make health loss within rounds more significant. This worked pretty well in theme, although I had to rescind it for the last few battles.

Part 1

The tournament rules are woefully inadequate for the capabilities of level 11 characters, and most of the other team members and enforcers have only immediate combat spells. This means that party members with invisibility/mind control/summoning/teleport other can screw things up completely between matches. It's probably worth clarifying that this kind of shenanigans will get them disqualified if it's something your PCs might consider.

Because of the way the adventure is written, the PCs have to manage scarce spell resources but the opposing teams don't. This isn't very fair for a tournament, so I fudged that the arenas magically allow everyone to use all their spell slots while in a fight then resit them to how they were before the match as they leave. Planey waney stuff or something.

The main part of the adventure is trying to be Fortnite built in the PF2 engine, but it doesn't work that well because PCs don't have that much motivation to do anything but explore. Don't be too surprised if your players just want to "look for another team to fight them" since that's the only way they get ahead early on. I basically had to ignore most of the island geography and just give them the encounters in the order that might be interesting. Basically, if the PCs play to try to win the tournament as best they can according to the rules, the adventure breaks. It's counting on them to just treat it like a hex-crawl.

Also, the adventure has the treasure pickups apart from the static encounters. Again, it's trying to be Fortnite, but this doesn't work at all in an environment where you can't play over and over again and "learn the map". Instead just where the PCs randomly wander can give them a hard adventure or a really easy one. I just put the treasure packets with the monsters.

In Event 5, watch out for particularly opportunistic PCs attempting to challenge the opposing team after saving them while they're exhausted.

In Event 8, we have the traditional problem of "assult on the base" encounters in Pathfinder APs, which is that there is no way for the PCs to know that the opposition isn't infinite until the source is stopped, and no way for them to investigate that source. Be ready for the PCs to wander around outside the temple.

Event 11: the PCs may well have all the points they need by this stage, which can make this amusing, as in my case the enemy team left the arena perimeter and the PCs just went "huh. Well, we're alright jack."

Event 12: no, they don't disintegrate Hao Jin. If they do that, the PCs will rightfully run for the hills from these obviously incredibly powerful casters. Save the Phoenix thing for the ending.

The exhibition events are kind of daft, since Hao Jin won't allow anyone to be permanently harmed there is no reason not to volunteer for all of them. Obviously the adventure wants the PCs to do this, but it might be a bit awkward.

Phoenix Challenge: for the magical genius that she is, it seems Hao Jin forgot that Fly is a level 4 spell.

The Lightkeepers: Blue Viper may need some buffing or modification. He is practically useless until the final encounter because of the onset times on his poisons.

Part 2

The Sixth Pillar Archetype is considered broken by the designers themselves. Don't grant it to players.

Event 3: if your PCs are the strongly heroic type, they might think this is an invitation to start trying to hunt down the Golden League in the city.

The tournament itself is fine, depending on how heavily munchkinised your player group is. You may need to tell the players that the adventure does not actually require that they win the tournament, otherwise they may switch off if they think the result is predestined.

Drake Race: The "chase subsystem" does not work for vehicles and honestly barely works at all. This is used at least twice in this adventure. You might end up needing to fudge heavily or even just graft another one on instead (I suggest pinching one from Savage Worlds if it comes to that)

Challenge of Falling Stars: make sure to start both teams separated and on different levels of the arena. If they all start at the bottom, there is no reason for them to engage with any part of the map, since they just want to fight each other.

Blood and Beauty: there goes Hao Jin forgetting about Fly again.

Panic on the Seven Dragons Bridge: making the encounter about saving the crowds kind of complicates things. PCs may be concerned about what happens if a dead 50'x50' creature falls on a bridge. Also bear in mind that if any PC has a "knocks prone.." ability, technically that causes a flying creature to plummet all the way to the ground and potentially require several rounds of full movement to get back to where it was, which can bypass or disrupt many aerial fights.

If you want to keep Hao Jin even more humanized, bear in mind that a powerful planar sorceress has shown up in their city, and then the place has had to be evacuated due to planar creature attacks. What would you think?

Razu: seriously, someone stick that chase subsystem where the sun doesn't shine.

Part 3

The thing about S------ controlling geography in the demiplane should be thrown out instantly. It means he's either an idiot or he would defeat the PCs trivially.

G1: the map does not show the tunnels or "lookout windows", so this may require some sudden amendments.

G2: why would someone leave a bunch of astronomy equipment lying outside exposed to the elements? This is only part of a very strong suspicion I have that the G- area was actually built as a dungeon and then converted to an island at the last minute for the AP.

The Night Parade: another bit of evidence for the "dungeon" theory is that this takes place in a clearing, and jungle surrounding a clearing isn't necessarily impassible. PCs who can take to the trees or fly over them can trivially attack the Parade from areas it cannot enter due to its size.

G5: don't show the PCs the picture of the Dimensional Darkside Mirror that's printed in the adventure. Their response will be "we walk up behind it and push it over."

The Grand Dojo: remember what I said about Blue Viper? Plum Rain Deluge + Tears of Death is a potential one shot TPK. Be very careful with this.

H4/H5: crawl-experienced PCs are not going to use a magic pillow or a magic rope in the heart of their enemy's base.

Ending: to lower the Mary Sue element a bit, I had Hao Jin do the phoenix thing while still within the Lighthouse and then appear seriously wounded and disoriented, and let the PCs rush her back to Goka on their craft (watch out for PCs with Legendary Medic, of course) for medical attention. I also added a bit about the empress's scouts having found Tino's Toughest in the woods, just so they know they're alright. This also slowed down the ending a bit, because it's otherwise a bit sudden.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'd note that hyphz specifically seems to have problems interacting with rules and treating other people like regular human beings while playing so I would take this all with a giant pile of salt, your experience will very likely differ greatly.

e: to be clear i'm not trying to be mean. it is a recurring trend in specifically the general chat thread where hyphz complains about an RPG being broken or not working and the problem turns out to be "hyphz interprets the rules/fiction very weirdly" or "hyphz cannot treat other people as people", including with some of these complaints about the AP.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 8, 2022