Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

knox_harrington posted:

Business concept: Airbnb style movie watching app where you pay to go to someone's house and watch their TV

Filmr

You joke but I saw an article about an app that's AirBnB but to swim in people's pools, which seems like a lovely way to get wrongful death lawsuits spread around.

Lol, it's called Swimply that's the dumbest poo poo ever:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/08/16/tech/swimply/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A bunch of peoples homeowners policies are going to be interested to hear that they’re a public pool now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

LanceHunter posted:

There's a whole sub-genre of former cheer and gymnastics people on TikTok who talk about how insanely devoted they were to their programs and how is basically sucked away their entire childhood and all they got for it once they aged out (in their early-20s) was the ability to do some party tricks.

We’ve completely lost the point of athletics in this country, especially when it comes to revenue generating sports. 99% of NCAA athletes are going to stop playing their sport after college competitively. Still, athletics teaches valuable life skills that can translate to careers, and there’s real value to that.

Some of us even end up with lifelong body image issues/eating disorders!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drk posted:

That was the original plan as well. Given that all the major chains have their own loyalty/ticket programs these days, I think the chance of it happening this time around is near zero.

Also my understanding is the ticket price largely goes the the studios - the theaters themselves might not have much to negotiate with even if they wanted to. Their real business is charging $5 for 5c of corn, salt, and oil (or these days, maybe fleecing internet marks buying their stock).
I used to be signed up to my local theatre chain's thing and it worked because they got a reliable revenue stream + the money from the "discounted" popcorn and soft drinks I'd buy if I was actually going in to watch a films. That all falls apart when you slide a middle man in.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Humerus posted:

You joke but I saw an article about an app that's AirBnB but to swim in people's pools, which seems like a lovely way to get wrongful death lawsuits spread around.

What in the world...? What a liability nightmare.

Ok guys, I have a new business idea: I have all this free space in my house, why don't I rent it out to people to store their poo poo? I could beat any self store place on price. I just need a trendy name and the VCs will come flying in.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

iStorr

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Ok guys, I have a new business idea: I have all this free space in my house, why don't I rent it out to people to store their poo poo? I could beat any self store place on price. I just need a trendy name and the VCs will come flying in.

You're sitting on a billion dollar idea homie

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because that's not new, innovative, and disruptive. Plus there's not as many opportunities to "disrupt" by basically running an unregulated version of Thing.

A VC train system would probably look something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDjy9uJUawU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

SettingSun posted:

This has existed for years and I see billboards all over the place. It's called Neighbor :shepface:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because that's not new, innovative, and disruptive. Plus there's not as many opportunities to "disrupt" by basically running an unregulated version of Thing.

A VC train system would probably look something like this:

1) it has four rails and runs in a 12" sunken ditch due to some weird legal loophole that defines anything under-grade as a pedestrian walkway or something. Because of this there are no safety regulations.
2) The trains Delivr Cargo Shuttles run on electricity and are recharged using extension cords run to people's houses. These Locomotion Servicing Professionals (note: independent contractors with no connection to Delivr) are paid less than the local power company charges per kilowatt-hour, but this is made up by them also receiving Delivr Grind Credits, company scrip a tokenized crypto asset that they can either hold against what will surely be rapid future growth in value or trade for amazing and valuable prizes right now (prizes are neither amazing nor valuable, terms and conditions subject to change).
3) Individual trains Delivr Shuttles are owned by shell companies and suckers trusted business associates. Delivr has no responsibility or liability for injuries to third parties who wander onto the tracks.
4) To avoid needing permits or licensing the rails will be run on privately owned land. Land for the tracks is laid on land purchased privately by Delivr or its subsidiaries. As a trusted partner in local development and urban renewal, Delivr will run their tracks through economically vulnerable, majority-minority communities will work hard to ensure that economic opportunity is made available to everyone in its community.
5) Average hub-to-hub delivery time is 8 weeks
6) there is no last mile delivery once your package reaches a hub. Eventually they sign a predatory deal with the USPS for last-mile delivery of your two tons of wallnuts. Any damage or failure to deliver (and there is a lot of damage and failure to deliver) is blamed on the USPS. loving government, am I right?
7) Once the VC well runs dry the infrastructure and equipment is the subcontractors problem to deal with.

edit:

7a) Once it's clear that the finish line is looming, that the VC money is going to run dry, and the gig is up the chief players behind Delivr will buy up as many shares of FedEx as they can. Whoopsie-daisy we somehow put the incumbent rail companies out of business with our horribly run, terribly performing, but massively VC-subsidized crap product. People used the hell out of it because even if there was only a 40% chance of your poo poo getting where you were trying to send it, the freight rate was $.01 per ton with a new account sign-up.
7b) With the death of rail transport FedEx's share price quintuples overnight. Everyone involved in Delivr gets a fuckton of money from this.
7c) The only assets that Delivr actually owned were the all-important user profiles and data. Somehow the TOS gave them full access to your social media and, puzzlingly, medical records. The company founders sell this to Amazon for a few billion dollars.

Thank you for this thing of beauty

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Uber basically subsidizing a $16 cab fare to $7 and forcing the taxi companies to start using apps and credit cards is great, but when your whole business model is "in 10 years, we'll have self-driving cars, so we won't have staffing costs any more and we can finally make a profit," then nobody in their right mind would start that business with their own money.

I guess it really is all about conflating AM/FM for the investors who don't know any better

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drk posted:

Also my understanding is the ticket price largely goes the the studios - the theaters themselves might not have much to negotiate with even if they wanted to. Their real business is charging $5 for 5c of corn, salt, and oil (or these days, maybe fleecing internet marks buying their stock).

Don't forget tacking on a $2 charge because I bought my ticket on their website instead of interacting with a paid employee at the theater.

(I assume the $2 actually goes to some third party which is providing the crappy ticketing website for the national theater chain at 10x what it would cost to just build it in-house)

Dik Hz posted:

Much less demand than harpists because nobody hires bassoonists for weddings. My good friend was one of three people in a populous state who played concert bassoon for actual money and for him it was only a part time gig. And he didn’t get a scholarship in college for it.

Ah good, I was starting to feel bad about not turning my high school bassoon playing into anything more. It's a fun instrument once you get past the designer's insistence on having as many keys for your two thumbs as for all the rest of your fingers combined.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cyrano4747 posted:

A bunch of peoples homeowners policies are going to be interested to hear that they’re a public pool now.
Are they?

I honestly don’t know, but have occasionally wondered about stuff like this.

Is your homeowners insurance more expensive if you use your house for AirBnb?
Is your auto insurance higher if you’re an Uber driver?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Definitely yes you’re paying more for insurance if you are renting it out on Airbnb or driving for Uber. People have gotten hosed when they get in an accident while driving for Uber and never told their insurance company.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I have a friend who was an incredibly talented cello player back in high school. I'm pretty sure he got a cello scholarship for college.

The professional progression curriculum was so intense that it caused him to burn out on cello permanently and drop out of college. His primary shot at college was essentially completely wasted. Now he's way underskilled and underemployed for someone as generally smart and competent as he is.

His experience, among others, convinced me that serious pursuit of playing an instrument is almost always BWM and BWL. Playing trumpet was a huge part of my life in high school, but I have zero regrets about dropping it completely as soon as I graduated.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can (and should!!) pursue activities without trying to be a professional. You shouldn't have to ditch hobbies you loved just because you graduated

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
but music as a career is deffo in the top 10 of bwm

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Are they?

My car insurance specifically disallows ride sharing so I assume they would just deny coverage and drop me instantly. My wife works for a different car insurance company and she always asks if they were driving for rideshare at the time of the accident and will deny coverage if they say yes. And of course people are dumb and will say no, this much older guy in the backseat at the time of accident is just my friend that I was giving a ride to. And then my wife gets to pass the file on to the fraud department and be done with it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
On the other hand, the hard life of being a professional musician has given the world a lot of great music about the hard life of being a professional musician.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My understanding is that if you're good with your instrument but not quite orchestral good one of the big career options is the military. They've got a special recruiting pipeline and MOS for musicians. The top line stuff like the USMC presidential band are rigorous as hell in their own right but there's a bunch of lower-tier stuff like unit musicians.

I'm foggy on the details but I think the people who audition well enough to get in the actual no bullshit "we play for the president" USMC band get to skip boot camp while the ones who don't make that cut still go through boot camp but afterwards skip a bunch of stuff, kind of like computer touchers.

USMC page on it.

quote:

As musical ambassadors for our Nation, MEOP presents the opportunity to become a Marine and fight to advance our Nation’s ideals on the world’s stage. Here is where you will learn how to create a harmony of determination, resiliency, and talent as a Marine Musician.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Anne Whateley posted:

You can (and should!!) pursue activities without trying to be a professional. You shouldn't have to ditch hobbies you loved just because you graduated

Not that I disagree with you, but opportunities to pursue classical instrument play on a hobby level are limited after high school. Small local level adult community bands do exist, but they lack the powerful social framework and event infrastructure that drive the high school band kid life (in a good school district, at least). My stepbrother did try to keep playing brass instruments with a community band for a year or two after graduation, but he quit because it paled in comparison to the high school experience.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

On the other other hand, I just hung out with a friend who's a musician in France. There's a national scheme for performing artists where they have to do like 43 performances a year and then they qualify for disability insurance, pension, etc. They just give their number to the pub owner/booking agent who sends part of the payment directly to the govt and the rest to the performers. This also benefits the govt by incentivising performers to report their earnings.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Cyrano4747 posted:

My understanding is that if you're good with your instrument but not quite orchestral good one of the big career options is the military. They've got a special recruiting pipeline and MOS for musicians. The top line stuff like the USMC presidential band are rigorous as hell in their own right but there's a bunch of lower-tier stuff like unit musicians.

I'm foggy on the details but I think the people who audition well enough to get in the actual no bullshit "we play for the president" USMC band get to skip boot camp while the ones who don't make that cut still go through boot camp but afterwards skip a bunch of stuff, kind of like computer touchers.

USMC page on it.

Semper F#

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gschmidl posted:

Semper F#

:hmmyes:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

greazeball posted:

On the other other hand, I just hung out with a friend who's a musician in France. There's a national scheme for performing artists where they have to do like 43 performances a year and then they qualify for disability insurance, pension, etc. They just give their number to the pub owner/booking agent who sends part of the payment directly to the govt and the rest to the performers. This also benefits the govt by incentivising performers to report their earnings.
Yeah, my cousin’s husband is a professional bongo player in France. Gets healthcare and everything. He supplements his income by teaching percussion to school age kids. They get taken care of by the government, but they’re definitely still poor.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

knox_harrington posted:

Business concept: Airbnb style movie watching app where you pay to go to someone's house and watch their TV

Filmr

Tired of never having a crate to stand on to peek into your neighbors windows to share the movie they're watching or many other wholesome activities? Just use my new app Peepr and tap your phone to rent one of the conveniently placed crates all around your neighborhood.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Semper F#

lmao

About half the secondary school band directors in my area were in the air national guard band. Seemed like a pretty easy way to do the military.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cyrano4747 posted:

USMC page on it.

I'm curious where "band musician bootcamp" falls in the hierarchy of "computer toucher bootcamp" and "doctor bootcamp."

Mantle
May 15, 2004

In Canada, being a military musician is a pretty sweet gig as far as performing musicians goes. Until recently, the working rank was Sergeant, which pays about $70k a year with regular COL increases. Eligibility for unreduced pension starts at 25 years of service and it's superannuated to 75% of income earned in your best 5 years or something like that. You could theoretically be pulling a pension at around age 45 if you joined young.

A typical day might be to show up for rehearsal between 0800h and 1100h, then do some band admin and be dismissed at 1300h. Then a lot of musicians schedule their regular civilian gigs at night, which they would do anyways if they were not a military musician.

This is on top of all the other cool poo poo they get to do like fly/sail around the world and play ceremonies and do morale/entertainment stuff.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Humerus posted:

Feels worth pointing out that there were a bunch of public pools closed in the last half century because they were no longer allowed to segregate. And now instead of the obvious solution of creating public recreation facilities, we're going to get an overly complicated private solution to make a good exclusionary so someone can earn a buck.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I have some friends who are in the singing sergeants. It’s a good job, when they aren’t on a tour or performing at something they report to an office and do admin work. They also had to go through regular Air Force boot camp. The bad news is that there’s 16 positions ever and auditions are only held when someone retires.

As for BWM, I was a decent cellist then SWITCHED IN COLLEGE to voice. I’m largely out of music professionally now because I hated spending 60% of my time looking for new gigs to pay me almost no money and getting up at 6am every Sunday to sing for Jesus’ money. Now I am the entirety of an accounting department for a produce brokerage and it turns out that’s really easy if you can pay attention to detail and read emails in their entirety before responding.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Are they?

Here in Australia, people are having their homeowners insurance cancelled because it explicitly forbids running a business from home. Not WFH, but things like "selling eggs from our chickens on the roadside" or "preparing meals in our kitchen that we were going to sell from our food truck off the property".

I'm assuming Airbnb would have your insurance demand landlord insurance at a minimum to cover anything happening while you're renting it out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 3, 2022

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG9O3Hkf9to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpZLq6wYfm8

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Goddamn what a quisling

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat homie really thinks they give a poo poo about his food allowance. I was feeling him until I realized he said he got one.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GWM I guess if they just give you a flat per diem. Dumb with money if it’s all reimbursed off receipts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Bird in a Blender posted:

GWM I guess if they just give you a flat per diem. Dumb with money if it’s all reimbursed off receipts.

He's doing it to help the company's "P&L," so it means he is spending his own money to make sure the company doesn't need to reimburse him for anything to keep their revenue up on the balance sheet.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

A guy I used to work with got a new job and almost immediately went to a work conference for like 3 weeks and they gave him a generous per diem, which he used to buy bread and deli meat and poo poo and make cheap food. He got to keep the rest and used it for...that $500 (iirc) Lego Millennium Falcon. I guess at least it was extra money he hadn't counted on beforehand but still.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly exchanging large amounts of cash isn't that big a deal as long as you do the exchange in a public place. Even $10,000 in hundreds is pretty small so it's not like you need to haul around a suitcase of cash. Easily held in one hand or put in a belly band or fanny pack etc.

A lot of police departments have a place set aside for exactly this, with security cameras and near enough to officers going about their day to day that someone would have to be a real moron to try and mug you.

It's certainly a bit unnerving to carry around though, I'll give that.

edit: accepting large amounts of cash is a tad more annoying just because you need to worry about counterfeits and you need to count it there. Order some of those fake detecting pens that bartenders use (they're cheap) and know the other poo poo to look for like security threads, watermarks, etc. A cheap UV light can help a lot there. Just go straight to your bank after the purchase and deposit it.

I also wouldn't accept anything that's not a modern bill. If someone's trying to give you a stack of pre-2013 bills I'd refuse the sale. If they're not trying to pull something it's annoying but not a killer, since any bank will exchange them.

Cops impound my stack of cash and keep it cause they say only a drug dealer would have 25k in cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Maybe if I come in 90% under on my expense report, senpai will finally notice me!