Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I kind of suspect the low number of Top Secrets is going to get used to let this blow right over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

slurm posted:

I kind of suspect the low number of Top Secrets is going to get used to let this blow right over.

Even one Top Secret document is too many.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

slurm posted:

I'm waiting for the "the folders were empty! Innocent!!" defense

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
The president only committed some light espionage, as we can see by the low count of top secret documents.

Granted, the number of excuses and reasons as to why he should be let off or why it’s not a huge deal will continue to pile up anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

slurm posted:

The classification doesn't matter. He'd be hosed even if they were all declassified.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

mobby_6kl posted:

The classification doesn't matter. He'd be hosed even if they were all declassified.

I guess the real test is how many were things that only another branch can declassify vs stuff he could make the in pectore claim about

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.
I wonder if the FBI checked behind the framed magazine covers for classified documents. Seems to me Trump would think it was the perfect hiding spot for the really good stuff.

Of course, he'd get bored halfway through and/or not have the strength to undo the cardboard backing on the picture frame and the documents would then be half hanging out of the frames...

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm waiting for the "the folders were empty! Innocent!!" defense

I happened to peek into the Conservative reddit and this is the primary rationale: "folders are empty which means he doesn't have them, so therefore he's innocent. Witch hunt!"

gregday
May 23, 2003

Sieje posted:

I wonder if the FBI checked behind the framed magazine covers for classified documents. Seems to me Trump would think it was the perfect hiding spot for the really good stuff.

Of course, he'd get bored halfway through and/or not have the strength to undo the cardboard backing on the picture frame and the documents would then be half hanging out of the frames...

My theory is that’s how he was disseminating documents to buyers, by slipping them into framed photos/Time magazine covers.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

slurm posted:

Outside of Newsmax or Tucker Carlson, who do you think is going to say "oh, it was only X Top Secret documents? Well.... ok, maybe just probation and a stern warning, then". We are basically talking about 10 years per document.

The government at all levels is pretty much preparing the public for the reality of a criminal prosecution, felony conviction, and prison sentence of a former president (hung MAGA juries aside). There are a couple things that could go wrong here, but the DOJ is going to take a real swing at it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

slurm posted:

I guess the real test is how many were things that only another branch can declassify vs stuff he could make the in pectore claim about

The current president can declassify anything.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Rigel posted:

Outside of Newsmax or Tucker Carlson, who do you think is going to say "oh, it was only X Top Secret documents? Well.... ok, maybe just probation and a stern warning, then". We are basically talking about 10 years per document.

The government at all levels is pretty much preparing the public for the reality of a criminal prosecution, felony conviction, and prison sentence of a former president (hung MAGA juries aside). There are a couple things that could go wrong here, but the DOJ is going to take a real swing at it.

Aren't they stopping work until after midterms on 9/10?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

slurm posted:

No

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Bird in a Blender posted:

Even one Top Secret document is too many.

Exceptionally grave, even.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

slurm posted:

The 60 day rule does not apply to Trump, because it is not a new investigation and he is not running for anything. And even if it did, who cares, it would only be an attempt to avoid giving the appearance of trying to sway the election, it would not be an indication that they aren't going after Trump.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

slurm posted:

According to sources. Not DOJ sources, just, you know....sources. People familiar with their own thinking, that sort of thing.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Rigel posted:

The 60 day rule does not apply to Trump, because it is not a new investigation and he is not running for anything. And even if it did, who cares, it would only be an attempt to avoid giving the appearance of trying to sway the election, it would not be an indication that they aren't going after Trump.

That would fuckin rule if they keep chugging and tormenting him, riled up off script Trump during the midterms campaigning

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Item #28-Box/container from Storage Room
2 Magazines newspapers Articles and Other Printed Media dated between 2/2017- 3/2017

Any guesses on what he would have been clipping in those months? In February Trump didn't have much good news:, the Muslim ban was blocked and Flynn resigned.

March was a better month for him: he accused Obama of wiretapping Trump Tower, AG Sessions dismissed Obama-era prosecutors, and he ended a ton of climate policies.

It totally makes no difference what the articles are, I'm just killing time at work before a long weekend.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

V-Men posted:

Among other actually classified documents.

edit: 1 deviled egg
the same deviled egg

It's hard for me to see a situation where a judge delays a criminal investigation for two years but weirder stuff has happened.

"Special" Master Gym Jordan will bury anything incriminating to Dumb Donnie on Kepler 22b.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Any guesses on what he would have been clipping in those months? In February Trump didn't have much good news:, the Muslim ban was blocked and Flynn resigned.

March was a better month for him: he accused Obama of wiretapping Trump Tower, AG Sessions dismissed Obama-era prosecutors, and he ended a ton of climate policies.

It totally makes no difference what the articles are, I'm just killing time at work before a long weekend.

I wouldn't read anything into that; nearly all of the boxes contained a few to many dozen articles and clippings, totaling more than enough to cover every single month from Oct 2015 to Nov 2020 multiple times over. The fact that one box merely happened to contain one article each from the first two months of his presidency is probably a fluke. There's even a couple sets containing articles dating back to 2008 and 1995.

slurm posted:

No, it's not. The search warrant covered three different felonies, none of which require the government property in question to be classified.

Why would a prosecutor even bother trying to make a much more difficult case raising novel questions about classification status and presidential powers when they have MORE THAN TEN THOUSAND open and shut felony cases of obstruction, espionage, and theft and destruction of government property to charge him with?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

slurm posted:

in pectore isn't a legal doctrine, it's the pope secretly appointing a cardinal. People talking about it are making fun of an obviously false excuse Trump's lawyers made. Even if he could telepathically declassify documents, Biden can telepathically classify them again and the law in question doesn't care whether they're classified.

If the court were going to let Trump off for that, they could equally well just yell MAGA and let him off.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

slurm posted:

Who among us doesnt have at least a few Top Secret documents scattered around our house?

I was cleaning the other day and found four just in my living room.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 42 hours!)

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Who among us doesnt have at least a few Top Secret documents scattered around our house?

I was cleaning the other day and found four just in my living room.

Look out the front window, wave at the Party Van men

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

James Garfield posted:

in pectore isn't a legal doctrine, it's the pope secretly appointing a cardinal. People talking about it are making fun of an obviously false excuse Trump's lawyers made. Even if he could telepathically declassify documents, Biden can telepathically classify them again and the law in question doesn't care whether they're classified.

If the court were going to let Trump off for that, they could equally well just yell MAGA and let him off.

Start telling chuds that Biden has been using his classification powers to telepathically make their drivers license top secret and the next time they get stopped by a cop they will be arrested.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

James Garfield posted:

I know what it is, it just seems like a ton of presidential powers stuff runs on decorum and it's absolutely the Trump playbook to minimize and drag everything into the weeds

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Fart Amplifier posted:

The current president can declassify anything.

This is not correct. While most classification stems from the executive, and therefore a sitting president can undo it at will, there are a few categories of classified material that are classified by separate law, which means that only the congress can declassify such documents, by passing a bill. One such category is "nuclear secrets", or things covered by the Atomic Energy acts of 1946 and 1954. This is why "nuclear secrets" has been such a hot topic in this investigation -- if Trump stole those, they remained classified even if he tried to declassify them.

Another category protected by law is identity of spies working for the US.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think people are confusing two different things. No one has a higher classification than the President of the United States and if he said, show me the top secret file on aliens and they walk among us file no one can (in theory) deny him seeing it.

That doesn't make it declassified. It just means the President has all the access to all the things at once if they so choose.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think people are confusing two different things. No one has a higher classification than the President of the United States and if he said, show me the top secret file on aliens and they walk among us file no one can (in theory) deny him seeing it.

That doesn't make it declassified. It just means the President has all the access to all the things at once if they so choose.

Have you not seen Independence Day?! They don't have to tell the President until he has a need-to-know

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mooseontheloose posted:

I don't think this is strictly true, certainly not in practice.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

To further stir the pot, the POTUS does have the power to declassify most things with a word. Because most things that are classified are classified under executive orders, which the president can give or rescind at will, even verbally. My point was just that while that's true of most things, it doesn't cover exactly everything, because a few categories of information are classified under acts of congress.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cranappleberry posted:

it is, it's just not nearly as accurate or precise as TV or police would have people believe.

No not really.

If it were it would be replicable and experts would consistently come to the same conclusions independently, which they do not.

It is real in the sense that fingerprints might be unique(there is some science to support this) and might be able to be matched up, theoretically.

More reading:

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/228091.pdf

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Tuna-Fish posted:

This is not correct. While most classification stems from the executive, and therefore a sitting president can undo it at will, there are a few categories of classified material that are classified by separate law, which means that only the congress can declassify such documents, by passing a bill. One such category is "nuclear secrets", or things covered by the Atomic Energy acts of 1946 and 1954. This is why "nuclear secrets" has been such a hot topic in this investigation -- if Trump stole those, they remained classified even if he tried to declassify them.

Another category protected by law is identity of spies working for the US.

The President's classification authority stems from the Constitution. I find it unlikely that SCOTUS would rule allowing Congress to limit these powers.

Other aspects of the "Restricted Data" portion of the Atomic Energy Act has also never been tested in court, such as the "born secret" aspect.

edit: Especially considering there are actual valid laws by which you can prosecute that don't depend on classification status.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If newspapers and other media outlets don't start using the headline "Benedict Donald" they will be missing out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Trump is never going to be put in jail. Not saying he shouldn't. Just that he won't

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 3, 2022

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Trump is never going to put in jail. Not saying he shouldn't. Just that he won't

This is not wrong, but just being charged could dissuade some idiot moderates from voting for him again. Not the diehard MAGA crew, but some

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Trump is never going to put in jail. Not saying he shouldn't. Just that he won't

Do you have any proof that backs up this assertion? I find it hard to see how you could, given that it concerns the future of a very unprecedented event, but you seem pretty confident.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

The only thing that could be reasonably expected as a possibility preventing it would be a series of repeatedly-hung juries followed by the government finally giving up.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Main Paineframe posted:

Do you have any proof that backs up this assertion? I find it hard to see how you could, given that it concerns the future of a very unprecedented event, but you seem pretty confident.

Can't prove a negative. Can you provide proof that he will be going to jail?

I suspect people are just making predictions based on him admitting to crimes and not going to jail previously.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Trump must have his SS protection and they cannot join him in jail. We have to house arrest him or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dr. Faustus posted:

Trump must have his SS protection and they cannot join him in jail. We have to house arrest him or something like that.

They can hang out right outside the cell like any other guards