Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

ben shapino posted:

Lol but also gently caress off with deadlines and budget and just let me do the thing

Agree but also finances matter, and so does meeting commitments.

Help your project managers out by vastly overestimating the time to complete, then sandbag to make sure you use all the money, Everyone wins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

People who do are awesome.

People who know how to run businesses are awesome in theory.

Put two non-shitheads together and you might have a good thing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Help your project managers out by vastly overestimating the time to complete, then sandbag to make sure you use all the money, Everyone wins!

This a hundred times.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

It _really_ doesn't

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

History Comes Inside! posted:

My old job just called and asked me to go back so I’m gonna have my notice in at my awful new job in two weeks and just not give a gently caress until then oh hell yeah

This just happened to my old boss and I'm stoked he's coming back. Congrats on getting picked back up!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Well, my work just asked (deliberately) last thing on Friday for everyone to work unpaid overtime on Sunday.

We are all contract workers with defined work periods.

It's not going well.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Btw what happened to crazy tattoo boss lady guy?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Car Hater posted:

It _really_ doesn't

It does if you want to book orders lol.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Car Hater posted:

It _really_ doesn't

:lol: from the manufacturing industry

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pyrtanis posted:

In my experience with this sort of crap, they just look to see there's something there and move on. I've had this happen twice and it was ignored unless there was no Stuff Entered, and nobody ever had their entries questioned. This of course led to people finding ways to either auto generate it or filling out the whole thing right before it was due to be submitted.

A fantastic waste of time!

Type "work", use auto fill function.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

MrQwerty posted:

:lol: from the manufacturing industry

"Dumb poo poo work does that everyone has convinced themselves is rational"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Car Hater posted:

"Dumb poo poo work does that everyone has convinced themselves is rational"

"delivering on manufacturing commitments is actually irrational" is a spicy fuckin take

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

Unless there's something else wrong, they should just have to replace the battery. (Source: We've replaced about 100 batteries since the pandemic began because users just keep their laptops docked and on 24/7 without thinking.) We've had laptops come in completely warped from the swelling, but, again, swapping out the battery fixes that. For people not near a location with an on-site IT group, we have battery replacement kits from the manufacturer that are supposed to (according to them) be safe for shipping damaged batteries. But otherwise, you gotta bring that poo poo in yourself.

And don't get me started on loaners (They're dumb and I hate everyone who asks for them.)

Someone tell our outsourced IT help desk to do this.

“Oh battery swelling is a known issue that doesn’t affect performance, we won’t replace it since it’s less than 3 years old”

Also, they said to leave it on overnight during the week in case they push updates overnight.

My latitude 7200 all-in-one is about 1.5x thicker than when it was issued (new) to me.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

OK, so I'm just checking: people know that this battery swelling stuff isn't hyperbole, right?

The swelling itself can happen without significant incident, but if your battery/case has been constructed such that the swelling pushes any metal edge or point into the body of the battery itself, they can and frequently will cook off with dramatic results.
This can range from "getting very hot and leaking poisonous liquid" to "fizzing fireball giving off clouds of dangerous smoke", and either way your device, desk, and stuff nearby are probably toast.

It's not just a thing from internet videos, it does happen.

Batteries and the devices that use them *should* be designed and manufactured to allow swelling without anything dramatic, but then batteries should also be designed to not swell up in the first place, so being in that situation doesn't inspire confidence.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Imagine four swelling batteries on the edge of a cliff...

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
ive never seen a laptop do anything like that, including my lovely ~$350 office max Lenovo while playing rimworld on my lap for hours

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I have an entire basement full of electronic devices with Lithium batteries of various types. Not a day goes by where I don't worry for about 30 seconds about my place going up in flames from a bad battery.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Jesus, don't you have an ocean near you to toss it into?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Thomamelas posted:

This is true of almost every hobby based thing I have ever seen. Game stores, comic book stores, gun shops, and so many others. People think their love of something will translate to profit. Business plans are boring and tedious but sobering.

Never gonna pass up an excuse to repost the all time champ of turning a cooking hobby into a restaurant with god tier poor decision making: https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Never gonna pass up an excuse to repost the all time champ of turning a cooking hobby into a restaurant with god tier poor decision making: https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

I read this over again every time I stumble across it and every time I feel better about every single life decision I've ever made. The man ran a well-liked booth at a food festival, losing money even then, and then instead of deciding that could be something he did a few times a year for fun he blew up his whole family's life lmao

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

woke kaczynski posted:

I read this over again every time I stumble across it and every time I feel better about every single life decision I've ever made. The man ran a well-liked booth at a food festival, losing money even then, and then instead of deciding that could be something he did a few times a year for fun he blew up his whole family's life lmao

100% I pick up something new each time. If he’d done nothing he’d have been up a million in home equity alone, as he wouldn’t have sold his Toronto house shortly before the market skyrocketed. Or how at every step in his self penned article he mentions his tremendous alcohol intake to the point where you wonder if his motivation is to have a workplace where he can drink all day.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MrQwerty posted:

"delivering on manufacturing commitments is actually irrational" is a spicy fuckin take

I mean, if it's like my work where we take past production metrics, knock two weeks off 'em and say "get 'er done boys" it's pretty irrational.

Or when they tell us to double our output by making our "efficiency" metric go from 50% to 100% (we're actually doing that, but by correcting book hours to reflect reality, also the maximum possible efficiency is like 75%, because we have to like, take legally mandated breaks and clean up and use the bathroom and suit and unsuit from the clean room &c &c)

Delivered the last product 12 days past baseline :thunk:

History Comes Inside! posted:

My old job just called and asked me to go back so I’m gonna have my notice in at my awful new job in two weeks and just not give a gently caress until then oh hell yeah

I'm really happy for you, and I hope one of my (former) best techs does the same thing, I held a job that's a little bit of a promotion and pay raise for him for what was supposed to be 2 weeks of Reserve time, that turned into a month and a half because of COVID and other things, and the day he got back I was like "I'm so happy you're back! We opened up (job) and I want you to interview" and he was like "uh, thanks boss but I decided I'm quitting"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

In actual dumb work poo poo my (somewhat new) boss is now requiring everyone to keep a time log of our activities throughout the day. The excel file they sent for us to use is broken down into half hour increments. This is a professional office place admin type of job, the sort of thing where you might be working non-stop one day and have some time to alt-tab and shitpost on another. It also has a VERY pronounced quarterly cycle where you're loving hair on fire busy at one point and it drops off significantly for a few weeks after a bunch poo poo gets submitted.

Why yes I'm updating my resume why do you ask?

Work up a macro that automatically fills in all the values with random vague but legit sounding corporatetalk and see how long it takes anyone to notice.

Pyrtanis posted:

In my experience with this sort of crap, they just look to see there's something there and move on. I've had this happen twice and it was ignored unless there was no Stuff Entered, and nobody ever had their entries questioned. This of course led to people finding ways to either auto generate it or filling out the whole thing right before it was due to be submitted.

A fantastic waste of time!

:argh:

I don't have to enter descriptions but do have to enter my hours every 2 weeks into ADP, cell by cell, row by row, despite being effectively salaried. I can still get OT and on-call pay which I guess is better than the alternative.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

MrQwerty posted:

Manufacturing goods for broad distribution is fundamentally irrational behavior, yes.

All work is dumb poo poo, but mass production was an all time boner

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Takes No Damage posted:

I don't have to enter descriptions but do have to enter my hours every 2 weeks into ADP, cell by cell, row by row, despite being effectively salaried. I can still get OT and on-call pay which I guess is better than the alternative.

Everyone in my department is salaried and we all have to enter 9am and 5pm manually in every row every two weeks. Including the Friday morning it has to be approved before we've actually worked that day.

Otherwise I'm kinda down with ADP, to be honest.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Someone tell our outsourced IT help desk to do this.

“Oh battery swelling is a known issue that doesn’t affect performance, we won’t replace it since it’s less than 3 years old”

Also, they said to leave it on overnight during the week in case they push updates overnight.

My latitude 7200 all-in-one is about 1.5x thicker than when it was issued (new) to me.

Drop it.

Dead serious, just walk outside, find some concrete, and drop it. Try to get it to land on a screen corner so it cracks. Maybe use some exterior stairs. Or from a balcony.

Like, I've seen lots of laptops that were clearly intentionally damaged just to get a new one, and those people loving suck, but battery swelling is a safety issue with a simple fix, and if your IT doesn't want to do that simple fix, make 'em fix a bigger issue.

Definitely do it outside though in case the battery cooks off. On the bright side, if it does, you are DEFINITELY getting a new machine!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Outrail posted:

We're gonna do a thing! Do the thing!

Specific, measurable and achievable objectives.

:fuckoff:

You missed off "realistic" and "timed" for the cheesy as gently caress SMART acronym, please report to HR first thing Monday morning.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

AceClown posted:

You missed off "realistic" and "timed" for the cheesy as gently caress SMART acronym, please report to HR first thing Monday morning.

...Appropriate, Simple, Synergistic.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
From my last company that got sued and lost the case for firing a coworker simply for being gay, found a scapegoat for an issue and fired a person who had been there for over a decade even though he had nothing to do with the problem, and fired me by asking me to take a day off (with their "unlimited" PTO) and then let me go for taking a day off... that recently laid off ~25% of its global workforce, I'm now hearing that it was the skilled AKA decently paid workers that they let go and the place is now run and staffed by somehow even more incompetent imbeciles.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sigh.

at this point apparently asking someone if hey can you pay a bit of attention to detail x is making them uncomfortable.

dude i literally hired you for that purpose so i dont have to worry about it.

sorry for asking?

it wasnt even like mean asking, it was like literally hey can you focus on this a little bit so i can stop doing that?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

quote:

By early 2014, the author, seen here behind the bar, was running a successful restaurant, but he’d had to sell his house to keep the business afloat

loving lmao Siri define successful restaurant

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Outrail posted:

Now now, let's be fair. After he sold his house the restaurant had a spectacularly good review and was able to turn a profit for a week or two.

He then celebrated by giving everyone a week's paid holiday and left the air conditioning on for the entire week.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Oh, at a specific level it sure does matter if you deliver on time and on budget. Especially if you are working a military contract with a DPAS rating (I'm currently dealing with trying to fix contract numbers not showing up on quotes and orders in our system causing them to show up as commercial, which is a major, major problem). The thing is some types of manufacturing are near impossible to hit the 98% OTD rate companies set. There's a bunch of factors there, ranging from sub-tier constraints to scrap to staffing problems and miscommunication. One of the parts I'm responsible for had major date slips because outside processes were supposed to take a week and ended up taking five because the secondary vendor had overbooked itself. I had an entire production run of parts on a PO written by my predecessor that didn't get sent to the house that was supposed to make the parts, which meant that instead of shipping in June they are now due at the end of November because they have a lead time of 20 weeks.

On that second part: every couple weeks I get contacted by the person responsible for getting it to the machining vendor who asks me, without fail, what can be done to improve the dates and if the vendor has all the parts needed. I've now had to explain to him five different times (CCing his boss on the last few) that there are no "parts" to gather because these are CASTINGS. Unless we're going to start producing the wax pieces for them to assemble I don't understand what the gently caress this is about. This is what keeps driving me nuts about talking to (other) people working in offices about manufacturing parts. Reductions in on-site production capacity at every major firm and assembler have just completely separated planning and production into vastly different cells and there's limited osmosis happening between them. People will just get in touch with me and say "I want 6 of this part in five weeks" and think that is just going to happen like a casting house is Amazon. No, dude, we have it in our system you need 200 some days and the minimum order is 48. Don't come to me with anything less than that. We had a batch of parts get scrapped and the reaction from the end use representative in our company was to start asking me why the replacement parts weren't on the dock the week after. It'll take a week to make the wax for half the order and the person who placed the replacement order also didn't send the order to the vendor, so they lost almost a month of production time. I've offered to take anyone from the manufacturing or assembly ordering/planning side of the business to any of my vendor facilities so they can see what goes into making the base level parts they use. I don't expect it will cause them to add some slack to their schedule, but maybe it would make them understand it's not a bunch of computers producing their parts and that things are way more complex than they understand.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Plucky Brit posted:

Now now, let's be fair. After he sold his house the restaurant had a spectacularly good review and was able to turn a profit for a week or two.

He then celebrated by giving everyone a week's paid holiday and left the air conditioning on for the entire week.

*leans in* and would you say this AC system was high efficiency and he did the research to know how it worked?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

Read this for the first time and yelled “you did WHAT“ when I read the vacation bit. Never mind the idiocy of leaving AC on in a vacant building for a week, that the gently caress would you let business cool off immediately after getting a rave review and turning profit for the first time?

Also loling at the fact he mentioned a well worn copy of Kitchen Confidential in there when there's a whole chapter dedicated to telling the reader not to do exactly what he did, even down to “friends rave about your cooking but you have no business accumen and the expenses are massive, please sit the gently caress down."

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I’m very sad that his YouTube cooking show and blog have apparently been scrubbed from the internet

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if good food was the only thing needed for a successful restaurant we should have a food quality floor somewhere on the moon.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Rugikiki posted:

I’m very sad that his YouTube cooking show and blog have apparently been scrubbed from the internet

His personal YouTube yes, the restaurant’s no. Footage of this event:

quote:

I placed the last of my money down on a marketing event—a party in November 2014 celebrating our one-year anniversary in hopes of bringing back the summer crowds. During the party, the tenant above the Beech Tree flooded her apartment, and water cascaded from our ceiling onto a table as the diners were placing their order. We put a bucket on their table, moved them to the bar and mopped up. Eventually, the deluge slowed to a steady drip, but with the dinner service largely ruined, I entered full panic mode. I fled downstairs, locked myself in the walk-in fridge and poured six cans of cider down my throat. I had run out of pills a couple of months earlier, so booze was my last refuge. We had hired a band to play. I eventually emerged from my hiding place, drunk and cocksure, grabbed a guitar and attempted to play along. It went as well as could be predicted: badly. Then I gave a rambling, incoherent speech to the guests, including Mary-Margaret McMahon, our city councillor. I staggered home and passed out.
is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJZJ_4mphQA (note: he’s not falling down drunk in the video it’s more fascinating that the place is about to go under but everything looks fine)

His blog is here: https://www.thebeechtree.ca/category/blog/ the entry about the anniversary party is here: https://www.thebeechtree.ca/what-a-difference-a-year-makes/

quote:

In fact, when I think about it, despite all the challenges, the adversity, the broken equipment, AWOL staff, long hours and sleepless night, the Beech Tree one year later looks very much like what I had in mind when I first dreamed it up.
(at this point in the timeline he’d lost $170k, gotten his second mother in law loan, and the taxman was closing in)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AceClown posted:

Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic Targets.

That'll be $20,000, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

quote:

I lost money, but I didn’t care.

e:
Crossposting from the Dumb poo poo You Do at Work thread:

quote:

Jameson had mentioned that I should incorporate my business, which would protect me personally from such liabilities, so I doled out $3,000 to hire a lawyer to oversee my incorporation. He later told me that I could have done it myself online for a couple hundred bucks.

:homebrew:

quote:

I staggered home and passed out.

:guitar: Oh hey that bit was already quoted.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 4, 2022