Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5_64r2PR7A
reminds me of those harbor freight jackstands

drat, that's what a new floor jack is supposed to do? Lifts from 3" to 20"? The old Craftsman three-tonner I've been using since 1998 has a usable range of like 5.5" to 13.5"... Perfect as it just about won't get under the pinch welds of my low car, and then barely gets it high enough to slide a jack stand under the control arm mount. And you're saying i can dispatch that pain in the rear end for like $150? This is a game changer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Quote is not edit :bang:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

NoWake posted:

drat, that's what a new floor jack is supposed to do? Lifts from 3" to 20"? The old Craftsman three-tonner I've been using since 1998 has a usable range of like 5.5" to 13.5"... Perfect as it just about won't get under the pinch welds of my low car, and then barely gets it high enough to slide a jack stand under the control arm mount. And you're saying i can dispatch that pain in the rear end for like $150? This is a game changer.

I have been using the same craftsman floor Jack for about two decades and the only reason I haven’t upgraded is because I have a Quick Jack lift now.

However, my new 2000 Civic somehow doesn’t fit on it (Jack points are too far apart wtf) so if I can’t come up with a solution I’ll buy a new floor jack to supplement. This is good info.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I bought that Harbor Freight one he tested and calls decent a couple years ago after using a 40 year old Craftsman that finally ate poo poo and it was a total game changer. Going from 50 pumps to under 10 for full height was like one of those infomercials where it's like "I've been doing it wrong for this long?!?!"

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I bought one of those Daytona jacks during a harbor freight sale for $120. It's been really nice to use, I couldn't get the craftsman jack under my mustang. Heavy as hell to move around, though.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Which is the brand lower than hazard fraud?

a brand you've never heard of, being sold on Amazon

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Thirding the harbor freight daytona and aluminum race jacks being really good, almost everything everywhere comes from the same crapbox factories in china but HF got burned bad enough on the jackstands that they're actually cherry picking only the best units now

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Seconding this book. It's a great read.

I think the one for me was when they started under filling the bottles and did just not get the concept that 10oz that claims 12oz = sued into the ground.

"Not get the concept", which is in actuality "Not wanting to accept that they were cheaping out". That was one of the big takeaways for me; the feigned ignorance.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5_64r2PR7A
reminds me of those harbor freight jackstands

it's so funny the next jack is exactly the same design, but the welds are better and everything is aligned. I guess the bad one was from the reject bin from same factory.

It's weird when a Harbor Freight jack is the better one.
Interesting that the Husky is exactly the same jack as the cheaper HF. That HF Daytona is a pretty nice looking jack.
I like that Arcan aluminum jack, though, at the same price.

$1K for the Snap-On is just silly.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Which is the brand lower than hazard fraud?

Maasdam, apparently.
I know it's weird, by HF is actually becoming something like a decent quality bargain. Costs a bit more than they used to, but they're also better (depending on product line - they've introduced a lot of new "brands.")

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I like that Arcan aluminum jack, though, at the same price.

I know it's weird, by HF is actually becoming something like a decent quality bargain. Costs a bit more than they used to, but they're also better (depending on product line - they've introduced a lot of new "brands.")

I had one of the Arcan "hybrid" jacks from Costco forever ago that was much cheaper than the Daytona, and I liked it a lot. The only reason I replaced it with a Daytona is because the extra inches of lift really helps out when working on Jeeps.

HF is in a weird spot now. There are some products where they're anywhere from "competitive" to "class leading" like toolboxes and floor jacks where anything better comes with massive price increases. Then there's some that are still just garbage-tier poo poo. The battery tools are in a weird spot because it looks like they're getting more competitive, but their pricing is now pretty close to in line with Milwaukee / Dewalt as a result.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This engine is purring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ok8IpjYFU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
hell kitten

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.fox5dc.com/news/recall-hyundai-kia-fire-risk-some-suvs

quote:

DETROIT - Hyundai and Kia are telling owners of some of their large SUVs to park them outdoors and away from buildings after a series of fires involving trailer hitch wiring.

What a choice, park inside and burn your house down, or park outside and have your car stolen in 30 seconds by a child.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
My wife was looking at the Telluride to replace her old Optima but went a different direction. Another fire risk recall would have just been great if we had bought one since this is how her Optima went out a few months back

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had one of the Arcan "hybrid" jacks from Costco forever ago that was much cheaper than the Daytona, and I liked it a lot. The only reason I replaced it with a Daytona is because the extra inches of lift really helps out when working on Jeeps.

HF is in a weird spot now. There are some products where they're anywhere from "competitive" to "class leading" like toolboxes and floor jacks where anything better comes with massive price increases. Then there's some that are still just garbage-tier poo poo. The battery tools are in a weird spot because it looks like they're getting more competitive, but their pricing is now pretty close to in line with Milwaukee / Dewalt as a result.

And they have like 4 "brands" of battery tools that span that same range of crap-to-nice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

And they have like 4 "brands" of battery tools that span that same range of crap-to-nice.

Yup. That's the other reason I wouldn't ever recommend anyone buy HF battery power tools. "The brands are made up and the points don't matter" is fine for most HF tools, but problematic here. I don't want to spend $Milwaukee on a power tool unless I'm getting Milwaukee-level of support for replacement batteries in the future.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup. That's the other reason I wouldn't ever recommend anyone buy HF battery power tools. "The brands are made up and the points don't matter" is fine for most HF tools, but problematic here. I don't want to spend $Milwaukee on a power tool unless I'm getting Milwaukee-level of support for replacement batteries in the future.

As a home handyman, and not a pro, I’m just fine with Ryobi’s One+ stuff for the most part. There’s a few tools the form factor of the battery is a limiting factor (mainly the ratchet) but generally no problem. It’s also very nice to be able to buy the old “blue” tools cheap used on eBay and Marketplace, and be able to use the new lithium batteries with them. I also have some B&D Firestorm stuff I got an adapter for so I can use the 20V Max batteries.
For the ratchet, I just got a Husky one with a non removable battery. Works fine, and was a lot cheaper and less bulky than other options. The only other one that can close size wise was the Milwaukee M12, and they’re $$$ of course, even before you get to the batteries.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I get what you mean about the Ryobi ratchet, though the head rotates to four locking positions 90º apart so while it's way harder to maneuver than a normal ratchet it hasn't been an issue.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oddhair posted:

I get what you mean about the Ryobi ratchet, though the head rotates to four locking positions 90º apart so while it's way harder to maneuver than a normal ratchet it hasn't been an issue.

I got this little guy: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Ratchet-H38CPRAT/305713305
(or maybe an earlier model of it.)

Pretty sure I only paid $70-80 for mine, but I could be wrong. Ryobi is $100 w/o battery.

*Significantly* smaller than the Ryobi (with battery.) On top of that, the Ryobi wasn't available in the US at the time. It became available, finally, shortly thereafter.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

if that's used to move the boat around from like dock to dock, sure. anything above 5mph or so? no loving way

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like a Dr. Seuss machine

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/7ngNpcB.mp4

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Literally everyone there is a dummy, but I'd go beat the damned truck driver senseless for being the dumbest of the dumb. "AYUP! Just gonna head off at top speed and never stop! YUP!"
Owner got his dummy cure by not being in the driver's seat.
Just holy poo poo the concentrated dumbass in that video.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/X0zFeGc.mp4

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 30, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

right click -> save video link -> paste

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I think that's what the eStop button is for buddy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tongue weight: uhhhhhhhhh

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

They have circle K in wherever the crap has plates like that?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

glyph posted:

Circle K is everywhere m8

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

glyph posted:

Norway? Yeah, they bought all the Statoil stations some years back.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Strange things are amiss at the Circle K

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Circle K goes hard in Japan. ngl. Maybe even better than Family Mart. Lawson is still top tho.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Computer viking posted:

Norway? Yeah, they bought all the Statoil stations some years back.

It's Denmark, all the Statoil stations were bought by Circle K here, too.

You can look up the license plate here, and :lol: the pictures of the car are literally from that video :v:

https://www.nummerplade.net/nummerplade/cv97086.html

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I thought you still had a red line around the license plate - did that disappear, or is it just hard to see in the video?
And yeah that explains why that plate wasn't in the system when I looked it up here.

e: Now that I'm on a large screen - and know what I'm looking for - those national letters on the plate look a lot more like DK than N, too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Is this timing chain supposed to.look like this?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elviscat posted:

It's pining for the fjords.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's just some extra slack so the engine can grow into it.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Elviscat posted:

it's obviously supposed to have big fat cams on there, you've done it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I know it looks cute but timing chains only do this when they are very distressed.