Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mila kunis posted:

jinnah's thesis wa that having a separate state for muslims was necessary because hindu majoritarian politics would eventually turn on the muslim minority. haha what an incorrect doofus!!

Wouldn’t you say his rise is a direct result of the issues that the partition either created or elevated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The big thing hindu nationalists literally say is
>they get to have a muslim country, how come we don't get a hindu one.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Nepal is also a Hindu majority country that does not have a modi like freak running it.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Tankbuster posted:

they get to have a muslim country, how come we don't get a hindu one.

because you touch yourself at night

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Wouldn’t you say his rise is a direct result of the issues that the partition either created or elevated?

yeah i think so, but direct action day, pogroms, etc were all directly abetted by the british divide and rule policy. it worked, and in the absence of a strong communist movement partition was inevitable but it was handled in such a horrible way the effects haven't died down.

i still think things had mostly been settled by the late 70s after bangladesh had been created and kashmir was mostly reintegrated and flourishing at the time. the thing that blew everything apart was the soviet afghan war that flooded pakistan and the ISI with cash to rip kashmir wide open again and congress' turn to neoliberalism which gave the hindutva shitheads an opening and a path to power, which came to a head in the mid 2010s when the oligarchs decided to back them to the hilt

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Nepal is also a Hindu majority country that does not have a modi like freak running it.

Nepal had a hindu monarchy that was overthrown because gyanendra wanted to do leftist massacres and the indian government took his ammo away in the mid oughts.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Anyways after having some really good keralite food yesterday I am now a kerala supremacist.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The rise of populist politic in different eras probably had relation to the widespread adaptation of the mass media format at the time. (radio in the 40s and facebook app on cheap $100 phones in the 10s). However which countries go full populist leaders depends on the domestic culture of the countries.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
How much power do Indian states have nowadays relative to the central government?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this allusion meant posted:

high performance computing is relevant to fields like energy and mineral exploration and development, weather and climate forecasting, the kind of nuclear weapons development that doesn't get you condemned like the dprk gets (simulation-based), complex robotics and ai stuff (has some kinda military applications in addition to tech economy scams), a variety of biology-related stuff (many things like proteins and sub-cellular structures are very complex relative to most molecules but can be reliably simulated given sufficient compute resources), and chip design itself relies heavily on simulation. strictly speaking if they get into a war the lack of chip parity will not cause them to fail, but if access to international computing supply chains can be cut off short of war, china will face a period of relatively slower development in key strategic scientific fields while it struggles to catch up. i don't think missiles or other weapons really rely on having the fanciest chips in them but their development involves a lot of workstation computers

yeah but how critical is smallness to computing for these applications? is heat dissipation an insurmountable barrier? can't you double or triple the number of chips you use and compete with computers that US or EU is using? or is it just that no matter how many 7nm chips you cram into a building-sized computer it can't compete with 3nm chips?

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

forget where i read this but the moonie church really hates japanese people, to the point of deliberately matching them internationally with spouses known to be abusive, essentially forcing japanese people to move countries where they'll be totally isolated and living with an abuser. not good!

It really is curious that there's this constant connection between Korea and the assassination of Japanese prime ministers.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

indigi posted:

yeah but how critical is smallness to computing for these applications? is heat dissipation an insurmountable barrier? can't you double or triple the number of chips you use and compete with computers that US or EU is using? or is it just that no matter how many 7nm chips you cram into a building-sized computer it can't compete with 3nm chips?
the advantages in terms of space and energy are multiplicative. you can build very big computers, yes, but it’s not a matter of double or triple the floor space, silicon, power, etc., but significantly larger multiples. the westerners would have the advantage in both how much they can spend and what they can get for their money. there are limits in that the speed of moving data around can become a hard limit to scaling but i don’t know enough to say what kind of workloads that’s a big deal for

china will never collapse purely for lack of computing power. if it costs several times more energy and time to do things they will be at a disadvantage in technological and scientific competition, in which speed and the ability to mobilize resources from the rest of the economy are always limiting factors. the stakes are not existential, but they may be determinative for great power competition

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

the advantages in terms of space and energy are multiplicative. you can build very big computers, yes, but it’s not a matter of double or triple the floor space, silicon, power, etc., but significantly larger multiples. the westerners would have the advantage in both how much they can spend and what they can get for their money. there are limits in that the speed of moving data around can become a hard limit to scaling but i don’t know enough to say what kind of workloads that’s a big deal for

china will never collapse purely for lack of computing power. if it costs several times more energy and time to do things they will be at a disadvantage in technological and scientific competition, in which speed and the ability to mobilize resources from the rest of the economy are always limiting factors. the stakes are not existential, but they may be determinative for great power competition

If we assume this scenario happens, then we have to assume counter-sanctions on the part of China, which will also be determinative for great power competition.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well I’m assuming China will keep developing but lag behind by a couple generations for the next decade or so, not that they'll be content to sit at 7nm forever

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

How much power do Indian states have nowadays relative to the central government?

GST regime means no real way of financing stuff so modi is telling states to take loans from International institutions.

Lol, we aren't going to have a country. Its going to be the BEIC with cattle botherer characteristics.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

GST regime means no real way of financing stuff so modi is telling states to take loans from International institutions.

Lol, we aren't going to have a country. Its going to be the BEIC with cattle botherer characteristics.

its pretty sick how GST revenue is weaponized by the central government against states run by parties they're trying to undermine. play to win baby.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Does no single person not know the asml technique or something that can just be paid? Like what secret is there? Isn't it just IP which don't have to be respected since economic war is going on? And are does the chinese not know what tcsm knows? They really got hosed in that foxcon thing then.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Nepal had a hindu monarchy that was overthrown because gyanendra wanted to do leftist massacres and the indian government took his ammo away in the mid oughts.

This was after they massacred themselves no

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeanmackenzie/status/1565525889831796736

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

There was a flash flood in Queen, New York last year. Half of my building parking lot was flooded. My wife woke me up in the middle of the night and made me drive the car to higher ground. A Chinese immigrant family of 3 who was renting in a basement were drawned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58565627

They were not the only whole family who were drowned in the same flood either. Interesting nobody in NY trying to outlaw the basement dwellers.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

There was a flash flood in Queen, New York last year. Half of my building parking lot was flooded. My wife woke me up in the middle of the night and made me drive the car to higher ground. A Chinese immigrant family of 3 who was renting in a basement were drawned.

They were not the only whole family who were drowned in the same flood either. Interesting nobody in NY trying to outlaw the basement dwellers.

I remember after hurricane Sandy a bunch of people drowned in their basement apartments on Staten Island that was over 10 years ago. I had a friend that escaped by the skin of their teeth with her family as the water flooded into theirs

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Isentropy posted:

This was after they massacred themselves no

Don't care about rajas and ranas. Indira gandhi took their pensions away and nationalized their palaces.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Femur posted:

Does no single person not know the asml technique or something that can just be paid? Like what secret is there? Isn't it just IP which don't have to be respected since economic war is going on? And are does the chinese not know what tcsm knows? They really got hosed in that foxcon thing then.

It's not just the knowledge, you need to control all aspects of the process and some of those require highly precise tools and equipment which only a few companies can make. Like you need the precision tools to make the precision tools to make the precision tools that make a small part of your chips. For sure China is developing home grown versions but it will take time to develop the entire manufacturing process.

And its not eve about talent, former co-ceo of SMIC for example was the r&d director at TSMC.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 00:55 on Sep 3, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

literally the only reason anyone in south korea cares is that it makes them look really bad internationally that they made no effort to solve the social problem that was widely referenced and discussed in the academy award winning 2019 film parasite no one else has made a famous movie about basement flooding so as far as everyones concerned its a distinct south korean ethnicism

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/RobbieGramer/status/1565711932887371778

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

how many people in the 21st century so thoroughly destroyed their image and legacy as that woman lmao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I forgot to mention it when we were discussing the DEI and Problematic Grandpas, but the Dutch just made a big budget “shoot and cry” war movie about that last year!

https://youtu.be/kJza8T9_EiE

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/BKimNews/status/1565576710908936193

hong kong used to be the capital of the art world?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Frieza is going to Seoul??

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/08/cvx-reportedly-left-out-of-south-koreas-2023-defense-budget/

CVX reportedly left out of South Korea’s 2023 Defense Budget

quote:

Dong-A Ilbo, a major South Korean newspaper, reported on August 26th that funding for CVX, the country’s aircraft carrier program, has been axed in the 2023 national defense budget.

According to the report, which has since been deleted, the tentative budget for 2023 makes no mention of CVX at all, effectively putting an end to the program for the foreseeable future. Other articles released by major domestic news outlets at around the same time did not specifically mention the budget itself, but still cast doubt on the program. Chosun Ilbo reported that CVX is facing a “reevaluation.”

This marks the latest development in what has become the most controversial weapons development program in recent history.

well it's good that the right-wing government of South Korea is shying away from wasteful weapons spendi... hold on

*touches earpiece* ... I'm sorry?

quote:

CVX was one of the signature acquisition programs of the previous administration under President Moon Jae-in. The program’s budget for 2022 was almost canceled, with the ruling and opposition parties unable to come to an agreement in the National Assembly, only to be revived unilaterally by the latter.

bwuuuuuh???

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/08/cvx-reportedly-left-out-of-south-koreas-2023-defense-budget/

CVX reportedly left out of South Korea’s 2023 Defense Budget

well it's good that the right-wing government of South Korea is shying away from wasteful weapons spendi... hold on

*touches earpiece* ... I'm sorry?

bwuuuuuh???

Liberals, etc etc

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

why the gently caress would south korea ever need an aircraft carrier, any threats to their country would come from NK, china, or japan, all of which they could deal with using conventional ground bases.

I mean I know the answer is military grift but

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Frosted Flake posted:

I forgot to mention it when we were discussing the DEI and Problematic Grandpas, but the Dutch just made a big budget “shoot and cry” war movie about that last year!

https://youtu.be/kJza8T9_EiE

not your typical shoot’n cry tho. the protagonist eagerly joins the SS-inspired war criminals, helps torture and execute innocent people and really only starts crying when the war criminals want to kill him. compared to literally every other ‘police action’ documentary or movie it at least shows that the KNIL were committing war crimes

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Grapplejack posted:

why the gently caress would south korea ever need an aircraft carrier, any threats to their country would come from NK, china, or japan, all of which they could deal with using conventional ground bases.

I mean I know the answer is military grift but

Against Japan; bragging right competition with Japan

Also SK has huge ship building industry, they can build it cheaper than other countries (outside of China).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1565814110104629249

this seems significant to say the least

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

oscarthewilde posted:

not your typical shoot’n cry tho. the protagonist eagerly joins the SS-inspired war criminals, helps torture and execute innocent people and really only starts crying when the war criminals want to kill him.

Wait, really?

lol what the gently caress?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ffs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Healthcare pls

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

i wonder how much of it will get sold to the mainland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't think the US is giving weapons to TW for free, that's just authorizing 1.1b worth of sales right