Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
GTWorld has so much good racing on their channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

harperdc posted:

Double post because this weekend is the Spa 24 Hours, in which German brands push their “customer” cars to the limits of believability at a glorious ribbon of road in the Ardennes forest.

https://youtu.be/MjjJKWqCQ1c

Should also be live and region free on YouTube as well.

Honestly my favorite track

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

This track very wisely parked all the alcohol dragsters at the bottom of a hill and at least one team needed an assist getting their vehicles towed to the staging lanes.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Hardly any spectators at Spa. Is that normal?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Brass Hand posted:

The GTWorld streams showed several stands being full, same for the awards ceremony.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Brass Hand posted:

Tracks will often have way less spectator space for non-F1 races, even if they're popular. I remember hearing someone recently complain about how Silverstone won't open some of the major grandstands even if an event is sold out just so F1 weekend looks special.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

SlowBloke posted:

The GTWorld streams showed several stands being full, same for the awards ceremony.

Oh okay must have been a few sections closed as on the few segments I did watch a number of stands around the main start/finish and the run down to Eau Rouge were almost empty

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Brass Hand posted:

Oh okay must have been a few sections closed as on the few segments I did watch a number of stands around the main start/finish and the run down to Eau Rouge were almost empty

There was also a shitload of sun, meaning that stands that didn't have coverings might have been skipped for nearby woods with shade.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also isn't Spa one of the races with the Festival on at the circuit, so they're probably off drinking wheat beer and dancing to EDM in the field next door.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If in you’re in Topeka, there’s gonna be funny cars and other proper cars.

Plus a wheelstander and jet car exhibition EVERY NIGHT . I fuckin love jet cars. They’re the stupidest thing. A fuckin jet engine with wheels and a seat bolted on. Floods the grandstands in smoke. Usually turns in a 270mph at the quarter mile mark.

coconono fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 12, 2022

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
The latest E-Prix in Seoul just had a really weird pileup

https://youtu.be/kscKEEUdvvo

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spamman posted:

The latest E-Prix in Seoul just had a really weird pileup

https://youtu.be/kscKEEUdvvo

Formula E habit of making super narrow city tracks(to enhance speed in onboard) makes them easy to create scenarios like this. Most circuits looks like a shittier Macau.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Formula E habit of making super narrow city tracks(to enhance speed in onboard) makes them easy to create scenarios like this. Most circuits looks like a shittier Macau.

and especially to place these things around existing infrastructure that may not have FIA Grade 1 width as well, I saw they looped the Seoul circuit partially through a stadium which was interesting but also incredibly slick given the weather.

should also note that they're incredibly lucky the rains didn't wash out the race entirely, it was historic flooding in other parts of Seoul just before the weekend.

meanwhile Acura revealed their new LMDH car ahead of the Monterey Historics, looks pretty similar to their last car but that's no issue. Interesting that they have a new engine which really looks like a beefed-up IndyCar motor (2.4l twin-turbo V6), and might be the smallest-capacity Hypercar motor we'll see.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Easily the most manufacturer interest at the top of sportscars since the late 90s, hope it doesn't implode too soon like things usually do.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Given it's incredibly low effort for most of them it shouldn't too quickly. As Harper points out they've basically stuck the bodywork from their old Oreca LMP2 on the new one and jammed an Indycar derived engine in there.

As opposed to spending £200m making an LMP1.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I mean yeah the new few years will be epic, but it doesnt change the overall pattern that the LeMans24 will eventually become a TCR race or whatever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Officially got a ticket for WEC 6 Hours of Fuji, making good on a 8-year threat to go to that race. Praying we don’t have a typhoon that weekend.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CactusWeasle posted:

I mean yeah the new few years will be epic, but it doesnt change the overall pattern that the LeMans24 will eventually become a TCR race or whatever.

In all honesty these are already basically overgrown TCR cars, hell in IMSA it's already one of the support classes. Standard cars, corporate but BoPed engines and aero.

Great racing probably, but no longer prototypes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

Officially got a ticket for WEC 6 Hours of Fuji, making good on a 8-year threat to go to that race. Praying we don’t have a typhoon that weekend.

Good luck on no adverse weather but i feel like being miserable in rain would be better than the incredible humid heat of japan. Have fun! After Monza this year, i think i might do me some pain and go lemans next, since the grid looks likely to get stacked with some real contenders rather than pity slots.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

Very jealous! Not that I'm super keen on going to Fuji, but I would just love to attend a WEC race at some stage.... LeMans is def on the bucket list

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Custard Undies posted:

Very jealous! Not that I'm super keen on going to Fuji, but I would just love to attend a WEC race at some stage.... LeMans is def on the bucket list

Monza is very doable on a budget, done this year for the first time and even if traveling on business class, I paid pretty much gently caress all for five days (60€ for tickets, 120€ for food, 230€ for comfy lodging and about 350€ for taxis and other assorted transport). Merch stands will bleed you dry if you don't stop yourself.

Edit: here is WEC broadcasting the 2014 fuji race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuGgVTKGX9s

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 20, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

So here’s the thing: I know Fuji gets a bad rap or isn’t thought of as highly as, say, Suzuka, but I’ve gone twice before (Super GT Golden Week race two years in a row) and it’s very, very good as a fan. The facilities are nice, and it’s fairly compact and walkable. With a general admission ticket, you can walk around to see almost every corner easily (the only ones that are tough are in the last sector). And you can get some good photo spots from hills to see cars in really high-speed corners - Turn 3 is especially fun to watch from.

Tickets are running 8800 JPY and that gives you a full three days of access, and you can go into the grandstands on Friday or Saturday. I’m just doing a day drive and back on Sunday, but it’s definitely something to think about for future years.

I know posting this means I’m going to have a typhoon come through, but fingers crossed.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

harperdc posted:

Get in there harper

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

So here’s the thing: I know Fuji gets a bad rap or isn’t thought of as highly as, say, Suzuka, but I’ve gone twice before (Super GT Golden Week race two years in a row) and it’s very, very good as a fan. The facilities are nice, and it’s fairly compact and walkable. With a general admission ticket, you can walk around to see almost every corner easily (the only ones that are tough are in the last sector). And you can get some good photo spots from hills to see cars in really high-speed corners - Turn 3 is especially fun to watch from.

Tickets are running 8800 JPY and that gives you a full three days of access, and you can go into the grandstands on Friday or Saturday. I’m just doing a day drive and back on Sunday, but it’s definitely something to think about for future years.

I know posting this means I’m going to have a typhoon come through, but fingers crossed.

The track does produce good racing with a bad layout.

Most criticism is actually due to the love for the old layout.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think they made the last sector quite so fiddly to get the circuit length up for F1.

If they had the money to just redesign that again, not to go back to the original because it's 2022 but just to make it a little less awkward, it could be really good.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
No posts from harper means fuji is now a domain of Neptune empire?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there was just an absolutely horrific crash in the gt america race at road america that does not make me feel very good

e: spoiler tagged because there is no word if he's ok

jesus gently caress

broadcasters said they'll give updates as they get them since there's a bunch more races at road america today they'll be covering

e2: he is ok, phew

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 21, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there was just an absolutely horrific crash in the gt america race at road america that does not make me feel very good

e: spoiler tagged because there is no word if he's ok

jesus gently caress

broadcasters said they'll give updates as they get them since there's a bunch more races at road america today they'll be covering

e2: he is ok, phew

https://twitter.com/mar_b_ond/status/1561374463421284355?s=21&t=ax9UFRYEeiazq8994InwcQ

That vantage got compressed into a cygnet holy poo poo

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

No posts from harper means fuji is now a domain of Neptune empire?

...the WEC Fuji 6 Hours takes place on Sunday, September 11, 2022 :v:

in other news, Rene Rast has moved from Audi to BMW (expected to join WRT's team for 2024) and Daily SportsCar is doing a couple of articles on whatever it is that ByKolles is trying to do for LMH these days.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

whatever it is that ByKolles is trying to do

Anything different than burning down in the first three laps is going to start the rupture, which is why aco is trying its best to disqualify them, they don't want the world to end.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Aston Martins have been having a rough time, there was that one that went sideways into one of the chicanes at Monza a couple weeks ago and flipped over when it hit one of the speed bumps.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arcella posted:

Aston Martins have been having a rough time, there was that one that went sideways into one of the chicanes at Monza a couple weeks ago and flipped over when it hit one of the speed bumps.

I was there and that driver needs to light up candles in church for the rest of his life, if he crashed a second later he would have surely been slammed by the following pack.

https://youtu.be/F550jL4zgXc

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

At least they're different teams.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

pro mod car almost ate the rear end out of the other car

https://www.nhra.com/news/2022/pro-mod-close-call-indy

oh yeah we're in Indy. Its a big deal. If you're in town DM me I'll get you hooked up with tix.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

coconono posted:

pro mod car almost ate the rear end out of the other car

https://www.nhra.com/news/2022/pro-mod-close-call-indy

oh yeah we're in Indy. Its a big deal. If you're in town DM me I'll get you hooked up with tix.

Ah piss, the one weekend for 3 weeks on either side I'm NOT in Indy. Damnit.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so far you've missed rain, cash bearing sky divers, explosions and Britney Force trying not to swear on live television

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

not quite as funny as racing jetengines with wheels and seat bolted on, but I'm glad everyone's ok

https://twitter.com/OhioRacingMedia/status/1566250378869489665

It astounds me how safe this sport has become esp compared to seeing some of the older dragster guys who def healed up without medical supervision a few times.

I remember meeting a guy in the Pomona fairplex parking lot who'd totally not spent several years living in his top sportsman car(VERY specific about this point) telling me about how he'd been banned from the fairplex for having an opinion. I talked to the dude for like 45 seconds, felt like 2 hours, thanks Drag Strip Uncle Buck. Seriously, I hope he's well.

I better stop before I go into reminiscent mode about this forever county fair culture I've fallen in love with.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDhPpfl694A

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Fuji 6 Hours is back! And it’s live! And I’m finally at this loving race after threatening to go since like 2015.

Lot more later but I’m absolutely in heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

nice day for it, have a good one