Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
At some point the danger of losing that much food and having to remake it all far outweighs the benefit of having only one guy haul it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
takes 3 guys to open doors and get it out there, why not have them all carry some.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If I had to walk that far, I wouldn't want to make two trips either.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/aBrbvHU.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Cvb7cNa.mp4

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I don't know how big some of those giant transmission lines are, but I've seen steel pipelines directional drilled that were about a metre in diameter.

Obviously you need a big rear end directional drill for that.

The line that caused it all and that had the multiple km trail of smoke is an above ground 150kV line.
The company representative states that because the lines didn't reach the 700 degree melting point of aluminum, that they're still usable. But they'll all be inspected.
I have my doubts - but i am not a lineman.

The train's power supply lines are 1,5 to 1,8kV DC and i don't think they run through conduit at all. You can see them surface in various places if you look closely when you're in a train crawling through a bunch of switch points, and a bit away from the rails you'll find a little substation with a transformer and rectifier. So far no pictures of the damage to the transformers, if any.

There is also a type of above ground concrete conduit that the railways use. It's essentially a U shaped trough with a lid on it. No idea what they put in those.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'd like to have some more context about this entire thing.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

NightGyr posted:

Just discovered a new sport, that seems to fit this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewDB_GJ2f8M

wtf, john curly out of loving nowhere

scorsese eat your heart out

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mierenneuker posted:

I'd like to have some more context about this entire thing.
Everybody make your predictions!
Mine is: intoxicated person gets into the electrical panel for an apartment building and yanks wires out. Some people who'd like their power back on take a whack at fixing a live panel, but don't know what they're doing. Original person returns to the scene of the crime and falls down the stairs.

Mr. Fix It posted:

I got more of a "Frankenstein Wastes a Minute of Our Time" vibe from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3zEi14PhTo

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 3, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/pQbZXhJ.mp4

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

That felt like a Monty Python sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzlCdWwYn2I&t=15s

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/EkaT34J.mp4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Your Ünter is here!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mr. Fix It posted:

Lol :hmmyes:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

looks like the suspension took care of those bumps. should be fine

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
:hai:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Plastic bumper popped out, that means the car is dead.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

A bunch of fire ants decided to build a nest at the bottom of a vertical sliding garage door at work. I found this out when I opened that door after a weekend and noticed a few ants scurrying about still holding onto the bottom of the garage door lip. The back at work is pretty dark so they think they are underground and are just milling about everywhere until their world is split in half and they go into defense mode and swarm everything.

One of my co-workers was on vacation for a week and came back to discovery this by slinging a wave of fire ants all over one side of his body when he opened that door. Thankfully he uses an insect repellent lotion and only got stung a couple of times. At least this convinced my boss to get some ant poison and deal with that nest.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I dub thee Sir OSHAlot, maimer of limbs

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Given the timeline we're on, we're gonna needs chainswords sooner or late - might as well get cracking before the WAAAGH! shows up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

In the Ukrainian city of Chernihiv, they had a charity fair near the art museum. One of the displays was of ammunition used in the war with Russia.

It turned out to be live ammunition. A 10-year-old boy picked up an anti-tank grenade launcher and pulled the trigger. It went off.

https://i.imgur.com/UYuwOr8.mp4

Four adults and four children were injured, but apparently nothing more than cuts and bruises.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Deteriorata posted:

In the Ukrainian city of Chernihiv, they had a charity fair near the art museum. One of the displays was of ammunition used in the war with Russia.

It turned out to be live ammunition. A 10-year-old boy picked up an anti-tank grenade launcher and pulled the trigger. It went off.

Four adults and four children were injured, but apparently nothing more than cuts and bruises.

What a negligent child

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If only there had been a good guy with a gun nearby.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Devor posted:

What a negligent childstrange trick

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Devor posted:

What a negligent child

Never point an anti-tank grenade launcher at anything you don't intend to destroy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Deteriorata posted:

Well, duh. They weren’t tanks.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Never point an anti-tank grenade launcher at anything you don't intend to destroy.

Post AV combo excellent in this case.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Probably lucky that it was a shaped charge made to melt armour and not spray shrapnel.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what if there was a good guy with a anti anti-tank grenade launcher?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

https://i.imgur.com/UYuwOr8.mp4

They're true Americans now!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe training ammo without a warhead in it? It’s still going to make a bang when you fire it and even a dummy rocket is going to do some damage slamming into the ground at whatever speed those things move at.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

They're true Americans now!

No troubled teen has snuck a HIMARS into their school yet so not quite.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Maybe training ammo without a warhead in it? It’s still going to make a bang when you fire it and even a dummy rocket is going to do some damage slamming into the ground at whatever speed those things move at.

What makes you possibly think this? People are generally hard to kill.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What makes you possibly think this? People are generally hard to kill.

They would have had a lot more than cuts and bruises if it was anything other than a trainer. Blast injuries are brutal

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Don't most grenade launchers not arm the explosives until the grenade travels a certain distance? So firing it into the ground or a wall won't cause an explosion (but can obviously hurt or kill people nearby).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kibayasu posted:

B-Rock452 posted:

They would have had a lot more than cuts and bruises if it was anything other than a trainer. Blast injuries are brutal

FuturePastNow posted:

Don't most grenade launchers not arm the explosives until the grenade travels a certain distance? So firing it into the ground or a wall won't cause an explosion (but can obviously hurt or kill people nearby).

All of this sounds like unfounded speculation. Why would there be training ammo among captured Russian weapons? Blast injuries depend on how far people are from a blast, so there is no reason to think that deaths would automatically follow.

And we can actually hear two distinct blasts in the video, the first a loud one at 00:01 mark and the second, a more muffled one, at 00:07. My take is that the first one is the firing of the RPG, which as a recoilless weapon creates a hefty backblast. The munition flies for some six seconds (probably less, the sound from where it lands travels at only 343 m/s so there is some delay). It seems very much possible that the backblast of the weapon sent whatever junk was on its way at people in its danger cone. This could very easily kill you if you stood next to it right behind, but a little bit of distance will "only" beat you up really bad. It's also possible that debris could have flown from the final explosion to people within some range. We don't know how the injuries happened. But the two separete bangs tell us that the grenade did arm itself.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 3, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

All of this sounds like unfounded speculation. Why would there be training ammo among captured Russian weapons?

was it supposed to be captured? It said " One of the displays was of ammunition used in the war with Russia." which I didn't assume was captured russian stuff

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

The Lady of the Lowes, her arm clad in the purest shimmering tattoos, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the tool aisle, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to shoplift Excalibur. That is why I'm your king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Look, if I went around saying I was foreman, just because some moistened bint had lobbed a chainsaw at me, they’d put me away!