Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This country is loving stupid and evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
There is a sub Reddit inspired by this tweet that I think applies to that story.

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1309325764739858432?s=20&t=XYW7tT7EWeKKSkbSQaEVzw

Stolkin
Aug 10, 2013

GAPO posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Zebb_Quinn

One of the more maddening disappearances to read about because you know someone knows more than they're letting on.

Just to show that sometimes there is movement on these things, it turns out there is now an indictment against Quinn’s friend Robert Owens, and the trial has started (not sure if it’s over yet) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Zebb_Quinn

Note that Owens claims one of Quinn’s family members did it. https://www.foxcarolina.com/2022/07/25/convicted-killer-says-he-saw-asheville-teen-murdered/

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I AM GRANDO posted:

This country is loving stupid and evil.

I have some bad news about countries not named the USA

Here's an example from this year:

quote:

On 5 January, authorities in Almaty reported that over 400 businesses were damaged from the protests and that 200 people had been arrested; police in Atyrau fired into protesters which resulted in the death of at least one individual. The government reported on 5 January that eight law enforcement personnel were killed and 317 were wounded. A report carried by the French AFP news agency stated that dozens of protestors had been killed, while the Russian TASS news agency aired footage of a heavy gunfight near Almaty's Republic Square. On 6 January, dozens of protestors were killed during an operation, while the number of security forces killed rose to 18. According to local authorities, two of the security officers were found decapitated.

On 7 January, President Tokayev stated that the army and law enforcement agencies had been ordered "to shoot to kill without warning."

By 19 January, the death toll of the unrest reportedly reached 227

227 is an underestimate and still judged based on a goddam few weeks. More in a day than the USA managed in a year. While being less than 1/10 the size. God bless the rebels that cut off cop heads.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Sep 1, 2022

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Also on the topic of horrible things happening in places that aren't America, I watched a new Jimmy Savile documentary on Netflix this week. I'm not even sure how well known the whole thing is outside the UK and whether a summary is necessary but it's pretty bad.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I also watched it and all I can tell is at least one person outside of the UK became aware and disgusted beyond belief holy loving poo poo

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Also on the topic of horrible things happening in places that aren't America, I watched a new Jimmy Savile documentary on Netflix this week. I'm not even sure how well known the whole thing is outside the UK and whether a summary is necessary but it's pretty bad.

The worst thing about Jimmy Saville is how much of an open secret it was. I had a friend who studied journalism in the late 1990s. In 2001 he told me the following story:

"We were given a lecture on responsibility in journalism. More specifically, when to choose to write a story or not. They gave us an example:

Let's say you discover a celebrity is a paedophile. You have witnesses, pictures, hard evidence. You have proof said celebrity has been given free access to nursery schools or children's hospital wards.
But there is a twist. Our celebrity donates £ 1 million a year to a children's hospital. If you write your story these donations will stop. Who will take over running this hospital? How many children will end up crippled or dead if this hospital no longer receives the £1 million donation? Do you still write your story, outing this celebrity?"

At the time I did not realise my friend was talking about an actual, real case they were told to keep secret. In hindsight it is way too clear. They were literally giving classes teaching new journalists to NOT touch Jimmy Saville.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Tldr: serial child rapist and children's show host's child raping is not only ignored, but encouraged, for decades. Victims, parents, caretakers, and educators hushed, shamed, or paid off.

That's my take from here in America.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My classmate went on Saville's wish-granting TV show when we were all about eight. We were all crazy jealous but she never did want to talk about it afterwards.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

BattyKiara posted:

The worst thing about Jimmy Saville is how much of an open secret it was. I had a friend who studied journalism in the late 1990s. In 2001 he told me the following story:

"We were given a lecture on responsibility in journalism. More specifically, when to choose to write a story or not. They gave us an example:

Let's say you discover a celebrity is a paedophile. You have witnesses, pictures, hard evidence. You have proof said celebrity has been given free access to nursery schools or children's hospital wards.
But there is a twist. Our celebrity donates £ 1 million a year to a children's hospital. If you write your story these donations will stop. Who will take over running this hospital? How many children will end up crippled or dead if this hospital no longer receives the £1 million donation? Do you still write your story, outing this celebrity?"

At the time I did not realise my friend was talking about an actual, real case they were told to keep secret. In hindsight it is way too clear. They were literally giving classes teaching new journalists to NOT touch Jimmy Saville.
Wtf this is like "the ones who write news stories about omelas" poo poo

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Just watched the first part on Netflix and haven’t gotten to the gruesome poo poo yet, but it’s insane to
me how some weirdo with a bad haircut in a tracksuit who made a career out of making funny faces for the camera somehow ended up as a close friend and personal advisor to both the royal family and the prime minister.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Comrade Koba posted:

Just watched the first part on Netflix and haven’t gotten to the gruesome poo poo yet, but it’s insane to
me how some weirdo with a bad haircut in a tracksuit who made a career out of making funny faces for the camera somehow ended up as a close friend and personal advisor to both the royal family and the prime minister.

Shared hobbies unite people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

madeintaipei posted:

Tldr: serial child rapist and children's show host's child raping is not only ignored, but encouraged, for decades. Victims, parents, caretakers, and educators hushed, shamed, or paid off.

It's not quite so simple. When it came out the scale of his depredations was so great that most people couldn't believe it was true. That includes me, and my own mother met Savile in 1969. My gran thought he was a creep and my mum agreed, but neither of them would have believed it all either. I would also never say it was encouraged, but there were a bunch of other nonces at the BBC who had a vested interest in the police not investigating and aside from that there were too many other people who didn't want the BBC or the charities Savile worked for to suffer reputational damage.

You're also not even covering the worst of it. :nms: When Savile's mother died, he made a barely veiled suggestion that he had sexually violated her corpse. :nms:

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Jimmy Saville was able to get away with it because of Thatcher's idea of "There is no society", "Let charity pay if they want to, leave the rich taxpayers alone!" shite. And once he buddied up with the royals (Looking at you, Andrew!) he had freedom to do whatever the bloody gently caress he wanted, so long as he kept doing "charity" on the side. gently caress Thatcher, she knew, and she still insisted he get a knighthood.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If outing the necrophiliac pedophile causes them to stop donating money to charity then take all their drat money and give it to charity. Leave them broke and rotting in prison rather than rich and doing that.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

“A rich pedophile is preying on sick children. You have the power to stop him. BUT! A major hospital is selling him access to the kids. Not so eager to turn him in now, are you?”

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

quote:

INT. BELLE VUE – NEW ELIZABETHAN BALLROOM – CARNIVAL NIGHT - 1963

A flamboyant big-chinned DISK JOCKEY, whose hairstyle is a peroxide reimagining of Laurence Olivier as Richard III, is at the microphone:

DISK JOCKEY
(chomping on huge cigar)
Now then, now then. Here's a nice slow number for all yow loovleh guys 'n' gals to get up close and let the romance flow. It's ... smooch time! (yodels)

INSERT – TURNTABLE: Tar-stained fingertips drop the needle onto a 7-inch record (blue Decca label).

MUSIC CUE: KATHY KIRBY – SECRET LOVE

CUT TO:

A hard-faced YOUNG WOMAN with hard-lacquered big hair that's exactly the same colour as the Disk Jockey's. She's standing on the edge of the dancefloor, tugging at the jacket sleeve of her sour-faced, floppy-quiffed BOYFRIEND.

YOUNG WOMAN
(imploring)
Coom on, Ian. Just one song. Please Yer promised!

BOYFRIEND
(with a Gorbals growl)
Luke. I've tawld ye a thoosand times, Myra. I dinnae dance.

CUT TO OH gently caress IT

http://thesumpplug.blogspot.com/2012/11/uncle-jim-cobley-and-all.html?m=1

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Kitfox88 posted:

Shared hobbies unite people.

If you haven't seen the documentary, this isn't really a joke. Its not outright stated, but its pretty heavily implied there was an actual qanon style cabal of elite pedos, and Saville was deep in the group.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
My aunt had Down's syndrome and she absolutely loved Savile. Watched all of his shows, thought he was lovely. She spent much of the latter part of her life in a care home, so I've been thinking a lot about those who weren't lucky enough to avoid him under such circumstances.

I think there's a lot of analysis to be made out of the whole thing with regards to where the UK is in 2022, but I feel terrible even trying to put it into words because whatever I say it seems to downplay the literal hundreds of victims involved. Just grim.

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Stolkin posted:

Just to show that sometimes there is movement on these things, it turns out there is now an indictment against Quinn’s friend Robert Owens, and the trial has started (not sure if it’s over yet) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Zebb_Quinn

Note that Owens claims one of Quinn’s family members did it. https://www.foxcarolina.com/2022/07/25/convicted-killer-says-he-saw-asheville-teen-murdered/
Owens' case never went to trial. Your second link says that Owens agreed to plea guilty to accessory after-the-fact to murder. Owens claims that he led Quinn to the scene of the crime, where his now-deceased uncle, Walter "Gene" Owens, shot Quinn in the back of the head. See here and here for further details.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

If you haven't seen the documentary, this isn't really a joke. Its not outright stated, but its pretty heavily implied there was an actual qanon style cabal of elite pedos, and Saville was deep in the group.
I mean, there was that briefcase of evidence lost en route between (?) police stations in the UK in the 80s and then there was this (NSFL) just across the channel:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Dutroux

I don't think it's a stretch to say there is a lot of old money tied up in it all, and the culture of silence around Saville speaks for itself. So many people knew, but like another poster said, silence is the ticket in to British journalism. Silence is the ticket in, often really, I've seen it here in the nz music scene. there will be sudden outing of some dude and all these chill indie cool nz musicians absolutely knew but didn't say anything because silence is the ticket in.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How does a freak like Saville end up as the lynchpin of a conspiracy of establishment pedophiles? He was just a radio announcer who happened to be a rapist. I’d expect someone like that to be caught and thrown in jail before getting to meet and make friends with Prince Andrew etc. It would be like if the powerful in the US decided to protect Jared Fogle. Did he get rich and connected first and then start doing crimes?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

I AM GRANDO posted:

How does a freak like Saville end up as the lynchpin of a conspiracy of establishment pedophiles? He was just a radio announcer who happened to be a rapist. I’d expect someone like that to be caught and thrown in jail before getting to meet and make friends with Prince Andrew etc. It would be like if the powerful in the US decided to protect Jared Fogle. Did he get rich and connected first and then start doing crimes?

The answer is it took a lot of work. It's worth remembering that Jeffrey Epstein was also from a working class background, and was able to become even more important.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Silence is a highly effective tool. For instance apparently it was an open secret the guy from Arcade Fire was a massive creep for years! Came out like last week.

yaaaaaay

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's important to remember too that - okay this is going to sound weird, especially if you're too young to remember. But up until maybe the mid-80s, when I was a kid, *nobody cared about child molestation*.

Oh sure the victims did and their families probably. But there was a huge push when I was a kid to make it something that *was* talked about, because until then it hadn't been. Nobody wanted to hear from you if it had happened to you. Everyone knew at least one or two adults who were creepy and you didn't want to get caught alone with them. It was occasionally the topic of dirty jokes. But nobody *cared*, it was a hazard of childhood like stinging nettles or falling off your bike.

My parents were both victims of this in different ways and I got to see the damage and the pain over the years.

This is UK and Ireland specific, I can't speak to other countries. I hope some of them were doing better. I don't know.

Also - yes, I know that a lot of the time it's still a crime without justice and lots of people still don't care but trust me, how it is now? It used to be worse.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

HopperUK posted:

It's important to remember too that - okay this is going to sound weird, especially if you're too young to remember. But up until maybe the mid-80s, when I was a kid, *nobody cared about child molestation*.

Oh sure the victims did and their families probably. But there was a huge push when I was a kid to make it something that *was* talked about, because until then it hadn't been. Nobody wanted to hear from you if it had happened to you. Everyone knew at least one or two adults who were creepy and you didn't want to get caught alone with them. It was occasionally the topic of dirty jokes. But nobody *cared*, it was a hazard of childhood like stinging nettles or falling off your bike.

My parents were both victims of this in different ways and I got to see the damage and the pain over the years.

This is UK and Ireland specific, I can't speak to other countries. I hope some of them were doing better. I don't know.

Also - yes, I know that a lot of the time it's still a crime without justice and lots of people still don't care but trust me, how it is now? It used to be worse.

THIS! Also add in a lot of "No one is going to believe you. Who will believe a child over an adult?" coupled with a belief that children were not really harmed, they will forget and move on. "It is no more traumatic than getting a blood test done at the doctor. Unpleasant, there may be tears, but no lasting damage".

The good old days were really, really terrible!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HopperUK posted:

When the news was really picking up on all the abuse in the church, my great aunt got really upset that everyone was talking about it. She was much less upset about the abuse than people talking about it. "I don't know why they have to ruin these priests' lives over it".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I mean, Epstein was a dude who existed and cast a very wide net, yes.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The father of a childhood friend of mine was a lawyer (and part of the reason I in turn became one) who wound up heading up a part of childrens welfare in Tasmania in the early 2000s. He uncovered a pedophile ring using the hospitals, care homes, etc to provide children to fairly important people. Swore to it - and he was on the level, a bit vague and eccentric in the way barristers often are, but stable, reliable, and largely sane.

Naturally, he was fired, hounded out of the state, and died in his late 50s of cancer. None of the real important folks involved ever got consequences- but I think of him and what happened whenever this stuff comes up, and when news stories come out like the recent scandal over the police ignoring multiple reports over the years about James Geoffrey Griffin.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My great-grandfather molested my mom while she was married to my dad. Them being in their 20s and him being ancient. It blows my mind how we still treat this poo poo as normal.

Dude was also a veteran of the Waffen-SS, if being a rapist wasn't bad enough. I hope hell exists, specifically for him.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

HopperUK posted:

It's not that no one cared, but that part of it was normalised because for a very long time in human history, children weren't really seen as people and mostly raised to obey adults. Abusing and molesting kids was surely seen as evil but the power structures of society that enabled these abuses weren't really questioned until the rise of socialism and feminism. And even then, it took a long-rear end time for the idea to seep in that children have a right to set bodily boundaries and can say no to unwanted advances. I was born in 1983 and lived through these changing attitudes as a kid and teenager. I received a few beatings as a kid (never really severe ones), which 20 years later my parents recognised was wrong and they still feel guilty about doing, but the fact that they had the introspection to change their attitude and apologise to me - that would have been unthinkable for their parents' generation.

HopperUK posted:

Here in Belgium the massive tilt came out of a national trauma: the case of Marc Dutroux, in 1996. If you grew up in the '90s, you might have even heard of him if you're not from Belgium, since it made international headlines. Attitudes to child abuse changed practically overnight once the case broke, culminating in a silent march of 1 million people through the streets of Brussels (that was 1/10th of the country's population back then).

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I'm not sure if we (the UK) had a specific horrific crime that changed the national opinion, but "tell your parents, tell a teacher, tell a policeman" became a thing very suddenly in the mid nineties. Up until then it was just accepted that every family had a "funny uncle", which was code for a child molester that nobody would think of reporting because they were "harmless" as long as you remembered not to leave them alone with any children.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I'm not sure if we (the UK) had a specific horrific crime that changed the national opinion, but "tell your parents, tell a teacher, tell a policeman" became a thing very suddenly in the mid nineties. Up until then it was just accepted that every family had a "funny uncle", which was code for a child molester that nobody would think of reporting because they were "harmless" as long as you remembered not to leave them alone with any children.

I had a book given to me by my parents in the mid-80s about how it was all right to say no and assert control over who got to touch me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

madeintaipei posted:

Honestly without even knowing his crimes, looking at that loving ghoul is plenty unnerving on its own

HopperUK posted:

See also that episode of Diff'rent Strokes where Mr Carlson from WKRP raped Dudley and no one gave a poo poo as long as Arnold was okay

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It's not that no one cared, but that part of it was normalised because for a very long time in human history, children weren't really seen as people and mostly raised to obey adults.

And to a large extent, this is still the case. We’ve become better at pretending children are important to us, but in most situations where the needs of a child stand in contrast to the desires or comforts of an adult, it usually becomes explicitly clear that they aren’t.

I think I’ve mentioned this before when this subject was discussed in the thread, but my partner is a social worker working in child protective services. Once when some Epstein-related thing was brought up she explained that the reason she doesn’t believe in a shadowy conspiratorial cabal of secret pedophile abusers is that it doesn’t need to exist. Why would you ever need to go through the effort when you can basically do what you want in the open, given a minimal amount of basic precautions?

Because children don’t matter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Savile was a DJ, not a radio announcer, and he had connections with a lot of rock stars. He would have had access to a lot of girls in their early teens who were hanging around the studios because they had crushes on one musician or another, and who he could promise that they'd get to meet their favourite if they "did a favour" for him. It's the perfect position to become a procurer of underage girls who would keep quiet because they didn't want their idol to get into trouble. From there it's a small step to make the right connections to get involved with other paedophile public figures.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Loomer posted:

The father of a childhood friend of mine was a lawyer (and part of the reason I in turn became one) who wound up heading up a part of childrens welfare in Tasmania in the early 2000s. He uncovered a pedophile ring using the hospitals, care homes, etc to provide children to fairly important people. Swore to it - and he was on the level, a bit vague and eccentric in the way barristers often are, but stable, reliable, and largely sane.

Naturally, he was fired, hounded out of the state, and died in his late 50s of cancer. None of the real important folks involved ever got consequences- but I think of him and what happened whenever this stuff comes up, and when news stories come out like the recent scandal over the police ignoring multiple reports over the years about James Geoffrey Griffin.

What the gently caress?! I'm Tasmanian and don't think I've ever heard about this. Have you got any more details??

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The IRA assassinated Lord Mountbatten by using a dummy shaped like a young boy to lure him onto a boat full of explosives.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

The IRA assassinated Lord Mountbatten by using a dummy shaped like a young boy to lure him onto a boat full of explosives.

Not to say there weren't allegations that Mountbatten was a paedophile, but you're being a massive prick here. The bomb was placed aboard Mountbatten's own boat and his family were on board with him; his 14 year old grandson was killed in the blast, as were one of the boy's friends and his grandmother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

That's a horrible joke considering children died in that explosion.