Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

The worst part of every survival game tends to be the combat so I doubt you could wind up with something worse.

It would take a pretty creative setting to explain the mechanics, but what if you had a survival game that was sort of like Cult of the Lamb? Combat and exploration happened in random, instanced areas where it could be tuned up, then you return to your home base with a bulging backpack of supplies to build up, create infrastructure, make new equipment, that sorta stuff. I think it could work.

You could probably do this with a mod of Liberal Crime Squad, that's already pretty much halfway there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The starting point could basically be what the end of a typical round of SS13 looks like. Huge space catastrophe, most people are dead, you as the one with the combat experience get to comb through alien-infested derelicts for resources to rebuild. Recruit more people by finding survivors on derelicts, etc.
I was thinking magical portal dimensions but space hulks would be pretty cool. Personally I'd prefer to be the only survivor since I enjoy a survival game over a settlement management game but I think there's real potential there.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I gave Vintage Story another go after installing some of the drifter and QoL mods mentioned earlier in the thread and I'm glad I did, thanks all. Seeing the game described as an interactive Primitive Technology video helped a lot too. The game looks great and the sound design is amazing - thunderstorms especially.

I turned up surface deposits, turned off temporal storms and set animals to neutral for a more chill experience. The hunter profession seems good as you get access to a half decent bow from day 1 - and I discovered you can sit on top of a 2 block dirt stack to break animal AI and shoot arrows without getting hit back. Clay forming was a bit tedious until I realised you can change the voxel brush size and even duplicate layers with F!

Currently squatting in a ruined cobblestone building until I find a decent site for my groverhaus. It's been raining for 4 days straight so just waiting for a change in the weather before posting a pic.

Are any biomes particularly important for surviving winter? Maybe some which spawn chickens for farming?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vib Rib posted:

I was thinking magical portal dimensions but space hulks would be pretty cool. Personally I'd prefer to be the only survivor since I enjoy a survival game over a settlement management game but I think there's real potential there.
This War of Mine does survival with multiple characters well. I wish there were more games with this and the... I think it's dead state? thing where there's cases where you're playing a specific guy but who "you" are changes. Even a bog standard survival game with NPCs that just kind of exist but perform the valuable function of being extra lives.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

This War of Mine does survival with multiple characters well. I wish there were more games with this and the... I think it's dead state? thing where there's cases where you're playing a specific guy but who "you" are changes. Even a bog standard survival game with NPCs that just kind of exist but perform the valuable function of being extra lives.

State of Decay I think? I like the way that one handles survivors because you might get attached to someone and lose them and it's really annoying but not the end of the world yknow

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, State of Decay might have my favorite take on permadeath ever. It hits hard and it's a real setback, but it's not starting from zero. Real consequences that encourage you to play smart, and death itself is fairly forgiving, you usually have to gently caress up pretty bad to die, but it can still blindside you or spiral out from one risky maneuver or show of overconfidence. As a bonus, it introduces a lot of new considerations that the game can play around with, like how to spread your playtime around between characters, so you won't be stuck with a bunch of useless rookies if your star hero dies, when to take who on what missions, when to balance rest and recovery, that kind of thing. It's very clever and it's implemented extremely well. I'd love to see that sort of thing more often.
That your other survivors aren't lifeless or static when you're not controlling them is a nice touch too, being able to scavenge some materials for the base, staff facilities and watchtowers, and even accompany you on missions with (decidedly less cautious) AI.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I know it's at odds with a lot of the core gameplay elements, but I would absolutely love a state of decay 2 mod that makes zombies finite and non respawning, so I can slowly pacify the entire map.

I do love that "individual dies, team continues" mechanic though, I'd like to see it in more games. Valhiem plus SoD NPC mechanics jumps out at me as a great game.

Canuckistan posted:

I'm getting into the Long Dark after bouncing off it a few times. It's pretty good so far, but I'm wondering how the gameplay will evolve to keep 5 episodes interesting. I imagine that the survival gameplay becomes trivial after you're used to the mechanics, and then it's primarily an interactive fiction game?

The single player campaign is my personal favorite survival game, but it's fundamentally a step or two removed from the core elements of most survival games, being more linear and more narrative focused. Mechanically I'd say it doesn't get old because each chapter adds more layers to interact with, more complications based on your circumstances, and a different overall narrative goal. But, if you're already experienced with all of the game's mechanics from the sandbox mode I could see the earlier chapters feeling like unnecessary and tedious tutorials.

Basically I'd say it's a good game that really suffers from being associated with the genre it's in; like, it's fundamentally not as good of a "survival game" as Ark, but I'd also assert it's a well done, and uncommon, blend of a Tell Tale style narrative or walking sim with some actual mechanics buttressing the conversations and exploration.

Edit: Thinking about it further, I really got to the heart of what I like about it with the comparison of "a walking sim with mechanics"; that's a sort of badly defined genre of game that I absolutely adore, another example would be Death Stranding, and the more complicated and punishing Skyrim overhauls like Requiem.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 1, 2022

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

piano chimp posted:

Are any biomes particularly important for surviving winter? Maybe some which spawn chickens for farming?

I don't think the biome matters too much unless you go so far north that it's cold all the time. I would say it's a little easier to get through the first winter if you site your house a reasonable distance from a forest, as you probably won't have enough seeds to start your own tree farm for wood. Forests are also where you'll find wild bee hives, and the sooner you can start wax production the better.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

And if you go south enough you won’t even have a real winter anyway!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

piano chimp posted:

set animals to neutral for a more chill experience.

Honestly kind of a shame, most surface drifter spawns are just an encroaching annoyance but I feel like hearing a nearby wolf howl putting you in a readied state to void your bowels is half of the experience.

piano chimp posted:

Biomes not so much assuming you haven't set up camp in a desert or something, chickens and goats spawn pretty much anywhere from what I've seen. I think you mostly want to try to have a greenhouse, properly enclosed living area of no larger than 7x7x7 to ensure it registers as 'indoors', the warmest clothes you can manage to craft, and a lot of stockpiled preserved food in a sealed-off root cellar. If anything, see if you can set up near to a trader who can help you with food or important crafting supplies.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, reasonable (less than a half day's journey) distance to a decent trader is one of the biggest pros for a potential base site.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

piano chimp posted:

and I discovered you can sit on top of a 2 block dirt stack to break animal AI and shoot arrows without getting hit back.

Enjoy this while you can, 1.17 (which released yesterday) apparently patched this :(

They added extra animals and weather effects too at least so it’s not all bad.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

buglord posted:

Enjoy this while you can, 1.17 (which released yesterday) apparently patched this :(

They added extra animals and weather effects too at least so it’s not all bad.

If you're hunting boars or sheep, I find it's easier to dig them into a pit or build a fence around them so they can't run before killing them.

Bears in my experience rarely run away. I'm still able to nerd pole (3 height minimum) and aggro them with a rock or arrow before spearing them to death.

e: speaking of bears, make sure your animal enclosures have either a 2-high fence or a second outer fence for protection. Bears can reach over a simple 1-high fence and murder your poo poo :argh:

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 1, 2022

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

piano chimp posted:

I gave Vintage Story another go after installing some of the drifter and QoL mods mentioned earlier in the thread and I'm glad I did, thanks all. Seeing the game described as an interactive Primitive Technology video helped a lot too. The game looks great and the sound design is amazing - thunderstorms especially.

I went back a few pages and didn't see the mods. Which ones are they?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Godlessdonut posted:

If you're hunting boars or sheep, I find it's easier to dig them into a pit or build a fence around them so they can't run before killing them.

Bears in my experience rarely run away. I'm still able to nerd pole (3 height minimum) and aggro them with a rock or arrow before spearing them to death.

e: speaking of bears, make sure your animal enclosures have either a 2-high fence or a second outer fence for protection. Bears can reach over a simple 1-high fence and murder your poo poo :argh:

Last I experienced, bears can also climb ladders. It definitely seemed as if the bear was coming up my hunting stand (i.e. 7 ladder block tall post) that I make whenever I'm hunting anything so I screamed, leapt from the top of the ladder, and ran away. Bears don't really give chase, luckily. Not like wolves.

Wolves still come for you and sit at the base of your ladder until injured enough.

The QoL mods for me in Vintage Story are...
- https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1235 prospecting info saved on map
- https://mods.vintagestory.at/automapmarkers automatic map markers when you find a thing
- https://mods.vintagestory.at/usefulstuffsluice you can eventually make an automated sifter for sand/bony soil/gravel
- https://mods.vintagestory.at/helvehammerext your helve hammer can churn out whatever you want, not just plates

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Travic posted:

I went back a few pages and didn't see the mods. Which ones are they?

One mentioned recently is No Bells or Drifters. Someone posted on the mod page that it works on 1.16.5, but I have no idea if it works on 1.17.

Here's a list of ones that I use which work on 1.17:

Auto Map Markers. You can configure which waypoints get automatically generated when you interact with stuff.

Bullseye. Simple ranged rebalance. Makes bows slightly better and lets you craft higher tier spears.

CarryCapacity. Lets you pick up and move full containers without having to empty them. Doesn't work on trunks.

Cave Content and MoreDungeons. More poo poo to find underground.

Pie On The Shelf. Self-explanatory. Good if you make lots of pies.

Primitive Survival. Lots of early-game goodies like fishing, animal traps, and wooden lanterns.

ProspectorInfo. Saves your pro pick results to the map (only viewable when holding the pro pick). Required to make ore hunting less lovely.

2x Armor Durability and Less Armor Negatives. Made by the same person, I think it makes armor more worthwhile to forge.

From Golden Combs. Beekeeping expansion, lets you make more hive types (ceramic and Langstroth).

Full Drop. Bloomeries and Skeps drop all their resources.

HelloSailorSign posted:

- https://mods.vintagestory.at/helvehammerext your helve hammer can churn out whatever you want, not just plates

Note that this is currently broken in 1.17. I really want it to work, so hopefully it gets fixed soon.

I might as well also mention Expanded Foods which adds a nice variety of food recipes (along with a way of crafting salt!). Not 1.17 ready, but the author is planning on updating it soon.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 2, 2022

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Awesome. Thank you.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Godlessdonut posted:

Vintage Story mod recommendations
Even as someone who's played before this is a very handy list. I'll save this for the next time I feel like getting into it again, thanks!

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Thanks for the advice and list of mods, all, I'm starting to think I should do a fresh start with angry wolves on now that I've got a hang of the basics!

Is 1.17 worth playing over 1.16?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'd say unless you're playing multiplayer and they haven't updated the server yet, you've been using a mod that's not fully compatible with 1.17 yet, or you were relying on something from the previous version (namely the lack of an oxygen meter) then yeah, go get those bears

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Splicer posted:

lotta people really like This War of Mine but it's one of those games that works a lot better if you're... kind of bad at it? by my second playthrough I was getting kind of bored setting up a very comfortable self-sufficient colony that rode out the war without incident, which was definitely not what the devs were going for lmao

If I was trapped in the siege of Sarajevo I would simply optimize my parts production and become rich off trade, it would be easy, for me

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 2, 2022

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I bounced off This War of Mine hard, tried it a few times but it never got my attention. Does it get better after the first few turns?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you probably pretty much got it. It's very mechanically simple just about vibes, you sit around slowly starving in your bunker and resupply by going out on missions to witness war crimes. eventually either something goes wrong and your refuge starts to death spiral or you tech your way up to enough amenities that you don't really have to deal with the war crimes anymore

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lotta people really like This War of Mine but it's one of those games that works a lot better if you're... kind of bad at it? by my second playthrough I was getting kind of bored setting up a very comfortable self-sufficient colony that rode out the war without incident, which was definitely not what the devs were going for lmao

If I was trapped in the siege of Sarajevo I would simply optimize my parts production and become rich off trade, it would be easy, for me

i dont know if i ever got self-sufficient but i know i had a surplus of stuff that i got from raiding and shooting bad guys

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

After you’ve played a couple of times for real, there is a grim satisfaction in playing This War Of Mine as a total rear end in a top hat, beating / killing innocent neighbours and stealing their stuff until you’re tough enough to beat on the military base.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you probably pretty much got it. It's very mechanically simple just about vibes, you sit around slowly starving in your bunker and resupply by going out on missions to witness war crimes. eventually either something goes wrong and your refuge starts to death spiral or you tech your way up to enough amenities that you don't really have to deal with the war crimes anymore

Their next game, Frostpunk, works kind of the same way. The early game is challenging but if you understand the mechanics it's easy to make a self-sufficient city. But if you don't really understand the mechanics yet because it's your first playthrough then you probably need to resort to child labor and sawdust meals and fascism/declaring yourself the ice pope

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I played Conan Exiles on my Xbox for a few hours this morning. It seemed fun enough but I kept getting ganked by invisible enemies. According to Reddit, that's been a thing for YEARS and they're still promising a fix "soon".

Edit - so, this has been occurring off and on for years, but a recent content patch really hosed things up with a ton of assets becoming invisible. The devs posted yesterday that it will be fixed in the next patch, but in the meantime the game is pretty much unplayable on consoles.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 3, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
70% off huh

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Flesh Forge posted:

70% off huh

70% off rendering requirements, you mean.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
loving gently caress gently caress.

quote is not edit!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

power crystals posted:

70% off rendering requirements, you mean.

I mean I've always been reluctant to try it because of the massive sticker shock of "here's the $200 bundle" but I'll give the base game + Isle of Siptah a chance I guess :shrug:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

You don't really need anything else, I think the rest is mostly cosmetic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can have a floppy dong in the Pc version

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Game where you can hang dong/boob :hmmyes:

Game where you can hang dong/boob %70 OFF?? :supaburn:

e: oh of course there is a mod to let you combine these

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 3, 2022

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean I've always been reluctant to try it because of the massive sticker shock of "here's the $200 bundle" but I'll give the base game + Isle of Siptah a chance I guess :shrug:

Oh don't get me wrong it's not my thing but I have no issue with it, I was just trying to make a dumb joke about that bug Canuckistan was talking about.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Cool Dad posted:

You don't really need anything else, I think the rest is mostly cosmetic.

Yeah, almost the entirety of the dlc is cosmetic stuff only, the only gameplay effects your getting is the armors all have varied temperature stats and you can sometimes get slightly better temp stats on base armor types with some of them, but it really doesn't matter much.

Mind though, the building set pieces from the dlc stuff is real good, and Conan remains one of the best, if not the best, of these style of games for building pretty poo poo, despite the usual fiddlyness of the building system. If you get caught in the aesthetic builder loop, the dlc's becomes super attractive ahaha.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

conan exiles was a solid recommendation from me until they added a battle pass in the newest update. im not about games that include kind of predatory poo poo, especially when its $40 a survival sandbox crafting game of all things.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Man I wish I had screen shots of the dope house I built our group in Conan. That place was truly fort kickass.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

conan exiles was a solid recommendation from me until they added a battle pass in the newest update. im not about games that include kind of predatory poo poo, especially when its $40 a survival sandbox crafting game of all things.

never ever going to touch the pvp flavor of this anyway so that's fine with me
e: so far I like it quite a bit although I feel like all the grass collecting is a bit much

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So anyone here playing PZomboid MP? I’m interested in playing it, but I’d prefer goons vs randos of the PZ discord.

Also anyone opposed to me starting a PZ thread? I’m fully prepared to find out there is one and I didn’t notice.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 4, 2022