Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Sadly, the new Mario Strikers is pretty bad. It's lacking in content, the high-level gameplay isn't fun, and it restricted multiplayer options heavily for no good reason. As someone who is a huge fan of the original on GameCube and a big fan of the sequel on Wii, I cannot recommend Battle League.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pungry posted:

and it restricted multiplayer options heavily for no good reason.

In a Nintendo game you don’t say

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s insane because it’s 4v4 with an advertised club mode, but they only let you do a max of 2v2 online with the other 4 characters just being AI. Trying to play a team game where you’re both swapping characters is just an inferior experience. There could be a ton of teamwork and strategy with each player character having a position and role in the game. But it’s just, not enabled at all lol.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nintendo’s next console will be the Switch 3DS

Two Nintendo Switches hinged together. Twice as powerful as a regular switch

They will also make a Switch 2DS which is two switches taped together but not folding

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

The most damning thing about Battle League is that it makes the last iteration look like the latest sequel in terms of content. More characters, more items, more fields, more robust single player modes.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No one cares about any of that stuff. It’s soccer.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

It’s insane because it’s 4v4 with an advertised club mode, but they only let you do a max of 2v2 online with the other 4 characters just being AI. Trying to play a team game where you’re both swapping characters is just an inferior experience. There could be a ton of teamwork and strategy with each player character having a position and role in the game. But it’s just, not enabled at all lol.

That's really weird. Did they think that have 8 players online would be hard to run or something? Splatoon does that regularly. Or maybe they were worried about not being able to have the online presence necessary to field such matches?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Strikers could have 30 characters and 20 arenas and it would still be a very bad game.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

American McGay posted:

Strikers could have 30 characters and 20 arenas and it would still be a very bad game.

This. I played online for four seasons, and the core gameplay is nowhere near good enough to be saved by extra stadiums or characters. Add in what McGay said about how bizarre the multiplayer is, and, well, it's just not good as a game.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sometimes Nintendo makes stupid decisions when designing multiplayer stuff.

Having battle rooms in Smash instead of just letting me match make with a friend was lame and took forever to find other teams that would stay in the room. The connection quality also sucks for a modern game.

Splat2n I complain about constantly but limiting game modes and maps by a scheduled rotation was lame as hell.

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

Rolo posted:

Splat2n I complain about constantly but limiting game modes and maps by a scheduled rotation was lame as hell.

Having only two maps on rotation is especially insane given how short the matches are. You play the same map so many times before it finally changes.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i'm actually really cool with maps and rotations being on a schedule because otherwise all the tryhards would have been playing nothing but splat zones on reef for five years

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

juicefest posted:

Having only two maps on rotation is especially insane given how short the matches are. You play the same map so many times before it finally changes.

It has the sole benefit of giving you a lot of opportunities to learn a map if you didn't know it before, but yes it is tedious.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Are they doing map rotations for splatoon 3?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The did in the open test. They also didn’t let me skip the intro news thing when my game would have a connection error, go back to searching for a match then lock me out of cancelling it when it wouldn’t connect to anything, making me have to force quit.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Are they doing map rotations for splatoon 3?

yeah but there's multiple ones. turf war, anarchy battles, and salmon run all have independent rotations so if you're not digging one of them then you got options

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Two maps per rotation is really limiting. Three would make it fresh.

They did it in 2 for the splatfests.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Palmtree Panic posted:

Two maps per rotation is really limiting. Three would make it fresh.

They did it in 2 for the splatfests.

one of them was the custom splatfest-only shifty station though. some of them were really great! i'm gonna miss the bouncy castle stage

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I still can't quite explain why the new Strikers sucks so bad. GC and Wii versions were amazing.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

taco show posted:

Has anyone gotten ooblets yet? Looks cute

I got it. It's very fun and chill. Devs have already said there's a game-breaking glitch on the Switch port, where you gently caress things up if your character runs their own business/shop, so don't start that quest until the patch is released.

I had some problems playing it this afternoon, too, as some controller buttons wouldn't respond and then my inventory got all gently caress-y and wouldn't let me do anything so I had to close the game and lose some progress. So I'm probably done playing until that patch gets released.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

antidote posted:

I still can't quite explain why the new Strikers sucks so bad. GC and Wii versions were amazing.

Maybe it's partly to do with Mario sports games on the Switch trickling out content that should've been available from launch. Which reminds me, it's time for the monthly costume in Mario Golf

[There was no new monthly costume.]

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pungry posted:

Sadly, the new Mario Strikers is pretty bad. It's lacking in content, the high-level gameplay isn't fun, and it restricted multiplayer options heavily for no good reason. As someone who is a huge fan of the original on GameCube and a big fan of the sequel on Wii, I cannot recommend Battle League.

Their sports games on the switch have been real duds unfortunately.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The live servicifciation of multiplayer has been affecting Nintendo’s sports titles from the looks of things.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I think Mario Golf was really good, personally. I thought it delivered on multiplayer and the new modes were really fun. Strikers and Tennis, not so much.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Golf was good and I didn’t mind the post-launch updates because the main game felt fine and the new courses are good. Still wish we would have gotten a mini golf mode in one of the updates though.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I like Mario Golf :shobon:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

They should bundle their sports games into a single purchase, because then you'd be getting a full game.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

American McGay posted:

Golf was good and I didn’t mind the post-launch updates because the main game felt fine and the new courses are good. Still wish we would have gotten a mini golf mode in one of the updates though.

I accept it because the core gameplay is as good as it ever was, and I can turn off the music, and Super Rush mode. Anything that's new about the game sucks except for the ability to set up an online match in the style that you like, but it's dead now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
i like the new golf mode and the new swing mechanic. thank you mario.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stux posted:

i like the new golf mode and the new swing mechanic. thank you mario.

Everyone too loves the N64 texture they used on the last level. Game was Super Rushed, and Camelot was coasting on these games being for Switch with limited assets for all of the Mario sports games across the board. But it's not a big deal, we suffer through it. Intelligent Systems should make Paper Mario Golf instead

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No one cares about the texture except weird Twitter freaks which you’ve just outed yourself as. The game is fun dude, online with friends is a riot. I dunno what to tell you.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

When it hits the DVD bin at walmart I am going to cop it so hard. Shouldn't be long.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

juicefest posted:

During the Splatfest 3 tournament, the maps in rotation changed every hour instead of every two, and there were at least 3 maps in queue. Also the game seems like it will become very content-rich. I was honestly going to skip until I played the Splatfest Premier with my friend, and everything was so nice and the memes were funny. Definite buy, can't wait

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

digital foundry has irrevocably hosed up tons of people’s brains

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
loving release advance wars you assholes

Spellman
May 31, 2011

American McGay posted:

No one cares about the texture except weird Twitter freaks which you’ve just outed yourself as. The game is fun dude, online with friends is a riot. I dunno what to tell you.

You would never speak ill of a Nintendo sports game, which I respect, because it's loyal, but some are great and some are just okay

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Oscar Wild posted:

loving release advance wars you assholes

Only once someone pours the blood of Putin on to Iwata's grave

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Wait, no, Advance Wars first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wonder if wayforward lost a bunch of money doing dev on a game that'll never come out