Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

sporkstand posted:

SN Oktoberfest is available online only this year :argh:

Lmao what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

sporkstand posted:

SN Oktoberfest is available online only this year :argh:

I'm so outraged by this that I'm going to order some beer online to soothe my soul

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well that is some bullshit. Of course Michigan is one of those hosed up states that doesn't allow shipping from out of state breweries. >:[

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
They sent out so much god drat SN Oktoberfest last year that it was still making GBS threads up the shelves in Feb and March. And now they take it away from us? Wtf.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Friends and I went in on a couple cases of Monkish and they came in yesterday. I've had a few from them before and they've basically been the best hazy bois I've ever tried. I picked Going Timeless DDH DIPA at random and holy moly, what a 5-star juice bomb. Easily one of the best hazys I've had.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Monkish is Bay Area right?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sirotan posted:

Well that is some bullshit. Of course Michigan is one of those hosed up states that doesn't allow shipping from out of state breweries. >:[

Yeah I'm glad they're technically in NC otherwise I'd be worried.

BTW where have they announced this, exactly? I'm not finding anything.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

highme posted:

Monkish is Bay Area right?

LA

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah I'm glad they're technically in NC otherwise I'd be worried.

BTW where have they announced this, exactly? I'm not finding anything.

https://sierranevada.com/blog/best-fall-beers/

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ah ok. Well let me just go ahead and...

Oh. The shipping costs more than the beer itself. Sigh...

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Sir Lemming posted:

Ah ok. Well let me just go ahead and...

Oh. The shipping costs more than the beer itself. Sigh...

An easily solvable problem you get free shipping on $100+ orders. Oh, what's that? Limit of four 12 packs at $24 each? Well that only gets me to $96 for some reason...

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
If only you could add a pint glass for literally four dollars and hit the free shipping limit. Two cases worth of beer is in the neighborhood of 40 pounds, it sucks, but shipping is going to be expensive.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

This beer is great, and it's awesome that Alchemist sells their beer for $13 a four pack.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Really digging the Big Ditch Day Burner for my easy-drinking low-ABV IPA needs lately. Between that and 3 Heads Tiny Kind I think I've got it cornered.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Triple Fog Night. Collab between Slice and Humble Sea. Absolute juice bomb with a touch of diesel. I cracked this crowler at 930pm and hoo boy.

Love humble sea and hadn't heard of Slice before. Sounds like I need to stop off there on my next Tahoe trip

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Polish Pirate posted:

Love humble sea and hadn't heard of Slice before. Sounds like I need to stop off there on my next Tahoe trip

Yeah they’re a super tiny brewery in Lincoln off 80 and 65. The head brewer was at Moonraker and left to do his own thing. They’re real good. And the pizza place next door is top notch as well. Great Tahoe stop. The brewery itself can only hold like maybe 25 people, so don’t go on a Saturday night or whatever.

highme
May 25, 2001

After dropping a couple hundred on cans at Slice I would like them to ship to Portland because I can’t afford the gas to drive back.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
we're getting humble sea in richmond, so i guess we're cool?

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah they’re a super tiny brewery in Lincoln off 80 and 65. The head brewer was at Moonraker and left to do his own thing. They’re real good. And the pizza place next door is top notch as well. Great Tahoe stop. The brewery itself can only hold like maybe 25 people, so don’t go on a Saturday night or whatever.

Dope, I loved Moonraker.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Kaiho posted:

Hard ISO. Do you dispense on cask at the brewery too, the superior form of serving dark mild?

Alas, we don't have a beer engine. Hopefully after we recover from the costs of buying a new mill/auger and keg washer we can seek one out.

Jhet posted:

Uhh, have had. It was very good. Could have sat there and drank them all night but drank other really good things too. You should absolutely be happy with how that presents.

Thanks! Next time you're here, if you see a girl with pink hair running in and out of the brewhouse, ask me if I have stairs in my house. :q:

Just came back from Hop & Brew School in Yakima, which was mostly touring numerous hop farms and processing facilities, sitting through seminars, and drinking and networking. It solidified in my mind that Single Hill and Bale Breaker are both fabulous breweries, especially since you can basically drink amongst a bunch of hop trellises at Bale Breaker.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
One of the Unibroue bottles I picked up in Montreal that I don’t believe I’ve seen here in the US

I didn’t visit Dieu du Ciel because they’re renovating their taproom but I did check out Isle de Garde who had some yummy stuff on cask. Also hit up Zero Gravity on the way home.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

Thanks! Next time you're here, if you see a girl with pink hair running in and out of the brewhouse, ask me if I have stairs in my house. :q:

Just came back from Hop & Brew School in Yakima, which was mostly touring numerous hop farms and processing facilities, sitting through seminars, and drinking and networking. It solidified in my mind that Single Hill and Bale Breaker are both fabulous breweries, especially since you can basically drink amongst a bunch of hop trellises at Bale Breaker.

I will do so. No one was back there the week I was able to get over there without responsibilities, but I will try again soon.

I did the hop and brew school with YCH about 2018 myself. It was awesome and anyone who brews should try to do that or the Hopsteiner one. I talked with a bunch of the brewers doing it the same week and the knowledge and experience is really great. Bale breaker is fantastic and Single Hill does a great job. The only sad thing is most of the breweries that Bert Grant was involved with in any capacity are gone. The last closed a couple years ago, but they did some expert English and Scottish work (at the hoppy end of course).

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

RocketMermaid posted:

Alas, we don't have a beer engine. Hopefully after we recover from the costs of buying a new mill/auger and keg washer we can seek one out.

you happen to meet a short woman with short black hair? one of my coworkers is out there right now on a pink boots scholarship

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

You can also gravity pour :madmax:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I had a 15% BA Oktoberfest after stopping in at Phase 3 Brewing over the weekend - their beers are pretty good! They're out in the far Northern Chicago suburbs, though.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Kaiho posted:

You can also gravity pour :madmax:

Only thing is, all our "firkins" are either Sanke fittings (weird, I know) or those horrible loving Golden Gate fittings. We basically have to rack the firkin to a half-barrel and serve it with gas instead of doing it properly. I wish we had proper firkins/pins, some of the best beer I've had in my life has been proper cask ale.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

you happen to meet a short woman with short black hair? one of my coworkers is out there right now on a pink boots scholarship

DM me about it, doesn't ring a bell but I met *so many* people and my brain was crispy by the end, and I might remember her name better. But I was there with the massive Seattle PB group so I'd be surprised if we *didn't* meet.

We have four fresh-hop Strata beers in tanks right now, and we have two batches each of FH Citra and 586 beers coming up. Fresh hop season is a loving beast this year.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

I had a 15% BA Oktoberfest after stopping in at Phase 3 Brewing over the weekend - their beers are pretty good! They're out in the far Northern Chicago suburbs, though.

That's a :wtc: beer if I've ever seen one. Can't imagine it's good. What did it taste like, aside from yeast stress and hangover?

RocketMermaid posted:

Only thing is, all our "firkins" are either Sanke fittings (weird, I know) or those horrible loving Golden Gate fittings. We basically have to rack the firkin to a half-barrel and serve it with gas instead of doing it properly. I wish we had proper firkins/pins, some of the best beer I've had in my life has been proper cask ale.

See if you can score some plastic pins or 9s? Would be less expensive than investing in steel casks.

You'd of course have to gravity stillage and keep them cool but could be a fun one to pitch as an occasional treat.

And agreed on good cask ale. When it's good it's sublime. What was less so was the American brewers bringing "cask" to the Great British Beer Fest, which was just keg beer racked into firkins and I suppose allowed to go flat. Cask isn't flat nor is it warm!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

DM me about it, doesn't ring a bell but I met *so many* people and my brain was crispy by the end, and I might remember her name better. But I was there with the massive Seattle PB group so I'd be surprised if we *didn't* meet.

We have four fresh-hop Strata beers in tanks right now, and we have two batches each of FH Citra and 586 beers coming up. Fresh hop season is a loving beast this year.

How dare you…

Please tell me when they’re going on tap so I can help dispose of them properly. Fresh hop season is the very best.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Kaiho posted:

And agreed on good cask ale. When it's good it's sublime. What was less so was the American brewers bringing "cask" to the Great British Beer Fest, which was just keg beer racked into firkins and I suppose allowed to go flat. Cask isn't flat nor is it warm!

When I was brewing in Denmark, my regular bar was a place called the Wharf, which was run by a UK expat and was one of only two places outside the UK with the Cask Marque certification for serving cask ale properly. Same guy owned the other one, in a different Danish city. Some of the most memorable and incredible beers I've had in my life were had there, and if I ever visit Aalborg again that's my first stop.

St. Austell Proper Job on cask is in the top five best beers I've ever had in my life, and tasting how absolutely inferior it was in bottled form was astonishing. See also: The difference between unfiltered, unpasteurized Pilsner Urquell vs. the filtered, pasteurized version we all usually get. Filtering beer just loving ruins it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Jhet posted:

How dare you…

Please tell me when they’re going on tap so I can help dispose of them properly. Fresh hop season is the very best.

The first batch of FH Strata beer will probably be ready next week. :q:

highme
May 25, 2001

Here's hoping the fresh hops are dominated by Strata this year.

So far I've had a FH from Stormbreaker, not sure of the hops because I had it on tap and the guy working didn't know. Breakside's 2002 FH IPA that was a 4 pack of meh. No hop listing on the label, but can stamp said FH Wanderjack and that has Strata & Azacca so that explains it. Last night I grabbed a couple of cans of FH pales w/ Centennial hops, one from Ferment & one from Little Beast. Both were pretty drat tasty.

Edit: only drank out of a proper firkin once. It was probably 10+ years ago since it was at a bottle shop that since become the "taproom" for a mediocre suburban brewery the owner opened. I don't remember exactly what beer it was, I think it was Alpha Centauri from Hop Valley (out of Eugene) but don't really remember anything other than that was the best version of whatever beer it was that I'd had.

highme fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 7, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

highme posted:

Here's hoping the fresh hops are dominated by Strata this year.

So far I've had a FH from Stormbreaker, not sure of the hops because I had it on tap and the guy working didn't know. Breakside's 2002 FH IPA that was a 4 pack of meh. No hop listing on the label, but can stamp said FH Wanderjack and that has Strata & Azacca so that explains it. Last night I grabbed a couple of cans of FH pales w/ Centennial hops, one from Ferment & one from Little Beast. Both were pretty drat tasty.

Edit: only drank out of a proper firkin once. It was probably 10+ years ago since it was at a bottle shop that since become the "taproom" for a mediocre suburban brewery the owner opened. I don't remember exactly what beer it was, I think it was Alpha Centauri from Hop Valley (out of Eugene) but don't really remember anything other than that was the best version of whatever beer it was that I'd had.

I'm pretty sure you're in the PNW based on your breweries posted, but if you make it to Seattle, https://www.machinehousebrewery.com/tasting-room/ exists. They use larger casks than a firkin, but the hand pulling makes the difference.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Jhet posted:

I'm pretty sure you're in the PNW based on your breweries posted, but if you make it to Seattle, https://www.machinehousebrewery.com/tasting-room/ exists. They use larger casks than a firkin, but the hand pulling makes the difference.

Machine House loving rules. The only place in the US I've had better cask beer is at Hogshead in Denver.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Edelstoff is a really awesome great beer.

Had 2 beers today with Strata, one boring, a Pilsner where it only came through as a mild bitterness, and one that really used it well to bridge flavour (strawberry) and aroma (dragonfruit) to make a beer "taste" like dragonfruit, which is essentially tasteless.

Also a beer with Talus hops, which I think added a earthy character to the beer? No idea what Talus does yet in the few beers I have had.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Presented without comment

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fat Dan posted:

Edelstoff is a really awesome great beer.

Had 2 beers today with Strata, one boring, a Pilsner where it only came through as a mild bitterness, and one that really used it well to bridge flavour (strawberry) and aroma (dragonfruit) to make a beer "taste" like dragonfruit, which is essentially tasteless.

Also a beer with Talus hops, which I think added a earthy character to the beer? No idea what Talus does yet in the few beers I have had.

Talus is great. It was HBC692 and flavors of citrus, wood, and floral. If you're lucky you can get a bit of coconut from it too. It's a descendent of Sabro (hbc438) and one of my recent favorites. I like it in saisons, but it'd work well in a pales, ipas, and even a pilsner/lager if you can be restrained with it.

Strata is great too, and last years crop was especially dank in some of the harvest. It can smell straight up of weed on the nose, but still carries a ton of melon in the hops I got.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

This beer is great, and it's awesome that Alchemist sells their beer for $13 a four pack.

I'm British and what on earth is a 'British Style Imperial Stout'?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Spuckuk posted:

That particular stout occupied India

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Think Kernel Imperial Brown Stout etc Courage imperial stout descendants.