Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

this is as well written as people claim the books to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh so something similar to EGS, except ya know none of that time exclusve bullshit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the first party games are probably a bit of a loss leader.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm back on my bullshit in X4 and my battle fleets could just conquer the galaxy once I'm done with the robots. I already have a fifth of it from saving them from the bugbots and also a little oopsie warfare

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's wild to me how in touch with reality and gamers Phil Spencer seems to be. The complete polar opposite of every other president/CEO in the game industry. Now here is where someone explains why I got it wrong and in fact Phil Spencer is garbage. :/

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not only is he extremely wealthy but he’s also over 40. 100% Pure garbage

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Not only is he extremely wealthy but he’s also over 40. 100% Pure garbage

Once you hit 40 you should honestly be pushed into a trash compactor. I'm 37 myself, so this forum won't have to suffer my posting for much longer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just met VG and Esco and Fridge ama

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
make a ranked list

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1=. VG
1=. Esco
1=. Fridge
1=. Random Goon
999. Relax

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the only good subscription is humble because you get to keep the games and skip paying on months you dont carea bout.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Stuxcription

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only good subscription is this thread :glomp:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

1=. VG
1=. Esco
1=. Fridge
1=. Random Goon
999. Relax

i wouldn't be so quick to come after others if my op didn't even have the new monkey island release listed

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I copied the list not my fault

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

It's wild to me how in touch with reality and gamers Phil Spencer seems to be. The complete polar opposite of every other president/CEO in the game industry. Now here is where someone explains why I got it wrong and in fact Phil Spencer is garbage. :/

Being interviewed by Jeff Gerstmann every E3 forced him to be honest for the longest time.

But with the pandemic that got cut short and he immediately bought ABK... we'll see how things go from here

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ffxiv, if I may:

Several times the story has these little coy reveals, like “this trustworthy-seeming npc? Here’s a cutscene of them laugh maniacally to themselves”, which would maybe would fine in tv shows or movies but this is a game, i’m a player, I have an avatar, I have agency, now I have to watch my guy trust them, there’s no option to trip them or accidentally push them off a roof? Frustrating

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Who are you complaining about

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's wrong with laughing maniacally

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

what's wrong with laughing maniacally

Nothing but before laughing the npc says “the fools are fooled, everything is going according to plan, I will plant a bomb under j-dawg’s bed and also steal all of the cosmetic gear he’s acquired”

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

maybe that's a metaphor

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think XIV is the only game that does that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Who are you complaining about

Spoilers
Happens most memorably with Urianger (even if the triple double super twist is that it’s all a feint), and most recently with evil amnesia doman woman, like I know her evil bro’s planning something evil that involves her but my guy won’t do anything about it

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 3, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

Nothing but before laughing the npc says “the fools are fooled, everything is going according to plan, I will plant a bomb under j-dawg’s bed and also steal all of the cosmetic gear he’s acquired”

Sounds like J Dawg has it coming

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:rip: in advance to j dawg

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you play a smart class like Scholar your warrior of light will immediately pick up on any suspicious developments and take care of them before they become an issue but sadly it shortens each expansion by 30 hours

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Being interviewed by Jeff Gerstmann every E3 forced him to be honest for the longest time.

no hes just a good speaker. everteone keeps getting bamboozled by executive guys who are moderately personable lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Ffxiv, if I may:

Several times the story has these little coy reveals, like “this trustworthy-seeming npc? Here’s a cutscene of them laugh maniacally to themselves”, which would maybe would fine in tv shows or movies but this is a game, i’m a player, I have an avatar, I have agency, now I have to watch my guy trust them, there’s no option to trip them or accidentally push them off a roof? Frustrating

marvel brained gamers need npcs to literally say what theyre doing outloud to the camera and its ruining games

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jeff Gerstmann is still a threat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

If you play a smart class like Scholar your warrior of light will immediately pick up on any suspicious developments and take care of them before they become an issue but sadly it shortens each expansion by 30 hours

Scholars’ main stat isn’t intelligence

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stux posted:

no hes just a good speaker. everteone keeps getting bamboozled by executive guys who are moderately personable lol

i still fondly remember paul barnett managing to trick everyone into thinking the warhammer MMO would be anything other than a piece of poo poo because he was a highly personable "bloke you'd have a beer with" guy on stage, and then he promptly vanished into the ether once the entire project loving bombed on launch

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think XIV is the only game that does that.

a brief private shot before a cutaway is a common cinematographic technique to build audience suspense, but cinema has the benefit of actors that can express a huge range of emotions and interact seamlessly with their environment, whereas video games have puppets constrained by animation budgets, so the whole "guy goes off camera to talk about his evil plan through text" is the compromise

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 4, 2022

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's easy to come across as a friend to gaming when your business model involves throwing money to get people onboard a cloud service
what stands out to me is how poo poo microsoft's internal studios are with the latest highlight 343 industries

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
a lot of the time the cutaways to the villains happen during the inter-expansion period where they want to remind you what the broader picture is, because it's been four months since you last played the game

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's bad design that I can't right-click Urianger and give him a good smack whenever I want. Where's my agency as a player? The guy needs a smack every once in a while.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This looks dumb and fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSIB_4V0EA

Good ol Stickdeath + Xiaoxiao

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Infinitum posted:

This looks dumb and fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSIB_4V0EA

Good ol Stickdeath + Xiaoxiao

content warning: corporate language

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Every video game should let you beat up the villain at any point in the game to end it early

Like two worlds for example

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Just found out the new 70 dollar Last of Us HD doesn't have multiplayer. lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I didn't think the Last of Us was very good but I was very sick of Zombie stuff at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I beat Rogue Legacy NG+1 tonight. The game is becoming hostile, between the bosses being health sponges and the rooms filling with increasingly dangerous enemies and obstacles. As a personal highlight, on NG+2 I got all the way to Lamech (the regular one this time) and beat him while holding Aite's Sword (+150% damage but breaks on a single hit) with the Astromancer. And now my hands hurt from white-knuckling my Dualsense all night